Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Felguards are Eredar? I thought they were Gan'arg?

But if not, well... There you have it. We already have enslavable Eredar.
I'm trying to figure out WTF is happening in your avatar.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Faine#1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
I'm trying to figure out WTF is happening in your avatar.
It's Whitemane's ass apparently. Although, I debate that because it's way too flat.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faine View Post
It's Whitemane's ass apparently. Although, I debate that because it's way too flat.
It's actually a blood elfs. It's from the pic of the blood elf fighting the night elf posted earlier. I think that it's suppose to be Valressa (sp?) Sanguire since it's the same outfit worn by the WoW/DC model.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRMNKY View Post
It's actually a blood elfs. It's from the pic of the blood elf fighting the night elf posted earlier. I think that it's suppose to be Valressa (sp?) Sanguire since it's the same outfit worn by the WoW/DC model.
Even if its her's, still think it's way too flat.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Cantus used his ass-powers.

I got to choose my own ass. I expect it'll be there for a while.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Felguards are Eredar? I thought they were Gan'arg?
Mo'arg is actually the name of the whole species encompassing felguard, gan'arg and the larger "engineer/scientist"-type demons. Gan'arg are the physically stunted members of the species ("stunted" being relative to other Mo'arg, as some gan'arg are still a bit taller than the players) seen tending to the machines of their larger brethren.

Really, warlocks enslaving Wrathguards isn't that strange to consider. After all, Doomguard were originally Archimonde's personal retinue of elite soldiers rather than just rank-and-file brainless mooks, yet they were controllable by players' characters as early as WC3 by way of certain items found in-game, well before the significantly more "mass produced"-feeling felguard became available for enslavement in WoW.

Though admittedly by the manner, frequency and order in which they appeared, WC3 made it seem like Doomguard were far more common and "normal" than felguard. We didn't even see felguard in-game during RoC, while TFT introduced them as especially powerful demons with hero-type auras that had to be killed with groups of units rather than coming across as the Legion's numerous and disposable rank-and-file, which we've since learned they actually are.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The thing about doomguards is that they AREN'T enslavable, at least, not indefinitely. Ultimately, I guess, I'm just hung up on the idea of the Legion's ruling class/species being enslaved by mortals, even if they are individuals who are weak with fel magic.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Eternal

How would you feel about Pit Lords as Warlock summonables?

While I'm with you regarding the limitations of the mortal Warlock, I'm actually surprised they weren't allowed. Up to me, I'd get rid of the Felpuppy altogether, and give its functionality to the Succubus. Supremacy upgrades are still a work in progress...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post

While I'm with you regarding the limitations of the mortal Warlock, I'm actually surprised they weren't allowed. Up to me, I'd get rid of the Felpuppy altogether, and give its functionality to the Succubus. Supremacy upgrades are still a work in progress...
Eh...I'm kinda iffy on Pit Lords.

Yes, it would be kick-ass to summon your own personal Pit Lord to wipe the floor with someone. But like you said, I highly doubt our playable Warlocks are powerful to just single summon a Pit Lord at a whim, not to mention commanding enough respect so the Pit Lord wouldn't just squash them for even thinking a single mortal can control a Pit Lord.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 PM

Loremaster

Quote:

Well, at this point pit lords in particular have established a pretty consistent theme of being nigh uncontrollable by virtue of their sheer power and insanely violent temperament. In those few instances where they're "reliably" held in thrall, it's only barely so and amounts to a veritable army of magic-users using round-the-clock casting just to keep them in one spot in an effort to prevent a mass killing spree in the event of their escape. Despite his being subjugated and used, even Magtheridon was never really under control. The Blood Furnace and his raid were practically entire facilities built for the dual purposes of processing his blood and preventing him from busting loose and murdering every living thing in Hellfire Citadel. Even under the auspices of an entire army possessing hundreds if not thousands of powerful fel orc warlocks, he was essentially a raging wild animal in chains rather than a remotely compliant servant. For that matter, there's also the pit lord in the non-instanced outdoor area of the Black Temple being kept half-banished because even with four fully trained demon hunters and an ever-growing number of prospective new ones on hand, the Illidari just plain couldn't control him once he was summoned.

Long story short, the overall sense has been that if someone summons a pit lord, they're generally screwed because there's just no controlling the things.

Plus it would kind of undermine their whole portrayal as gargantuan living engines of death and destruction if players could summon a version that's been scaled down to work as a pet. Pit lords are supposed to be massive; it's a big part of their whole overall theme.

Last edited by ARM3481; 11-10-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Old 11-11-2011, 02:23 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The thing about doomguards is that they AREN'T enslavable, at least, not indefinitely. Ultimately, I guess, I'm just hung up on the idea of the Legion's ruling class/species being enslaved by mortals, even if they are individuals who are weak with fel magic.
What if they are more like a lesser caste? Eredar who have been stripped of magical powers and forced to become the Legion's vanguard, thereby deemed "lesser" than the others?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:

There's a questline in the Burning Steppes (or the other zone with a similar name that i allway, ALLWAYS mix up for some strange reason; it's the one with Eitrigg and that John J Keeshon) where the Blackrocks try to summon and controll a pit lord (and a LARGE one at that) by using a magic sphere. We brake it and once summoned, the Pit Lord goes on a killing spree in the Blackrock Army, but at least we know it's possible for powerful warlocks to summon them. Sadly we don't know if it would have worked out. Would have been badass, the guy was to attack Redridge and his model was allmost bigger than the town itself ^^
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 AM

Ranger

I am pretty sure I saw something about Throwing weapons being equipable by the apropriate classes in the main hand.

Could this mean that I can FINALLY live my dream of playing a Troll Axe thrower?
Punctuation saves lives!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyomesh View Post
Could this mean that I can FINALLY live my dream of playing a Troll Axe thrower?
They are making it so using the "Throw" ability now just uses the weapon you have equipped. Get two melee axes and yes, technically you can throw them now.

I don't seem them keeping the "Thrown" weapon type, you won't be able to throw weapons as a competitive form of DPS, so no, they won't let you equip a "Thrown" weapon and use it for white attacks.

P.S. Should make it clear they are going to allow classes to equip bows/guns, etc... even if they don't use them normally (warrior/rogue) but it will be mostly for show. We may see the rare warrior carrying a bow for kicks, but we will not see him using Heroic Strike: Arrow Edition.

Last edited by ScytheRexx; 11-11-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Well, at this point pit lords in particular have established a pretty consistent theme of being nigh uncontrollable by virtue of their sheer power and insanely violent temperament. In those few instances where they're "reliably" held in thrall, it's only barely so and amounts to a veritable army of magic-users using round-the-clock casting just to keep them in one spot in an effort to prevent a mass killing spree in the event of their escape. Despite his being subjugated and used, even Magtheridon was never really under control. The Blood Furnace and his raid were practically entire facilities built for the dual purposes of processing his blood and preventing him from busting loose and murdering every living thing in Hellfire Citadel. Even under the auspices of an entire army possessing hundreds if not thousands of powerful fel orc warlocks, he was essentially a raging wild animal in chains rather than a remotely compliant servant. For that matter, there's also the pit lord in the non-instanced outdoor area of the Black Temple being kept half-banished because even with four fully trained demon hunters and an ever-growing number of prospective new ones on hand, the Illidari just plain couldn't control him once he was summoned.

Long story short, the overall sense has been that if someone summons a pit lord, they're generally screwed because there's just no controlling the things.

Plus it would kind of undermine their whole portrayal as gargantuan living engines of death and destruction if players could summon a version that's been scaled down to work as a pet. Pit lords are supposed to be massive; it's a big part of their whole overall theme.
Where do you get those volumes? As far as I can recall, there were but a handful of Warlocks who attempted to subjugate him.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.