Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I don't think you want to go down that road since there are other, much stronger and lasting Western traditions that you wouldn't like.
I, much like most religious and zealously partisan people, sort of pick and choose the things in my culture and its history I want to acknowledge and bring attention to, while vehemently shying away from everything else saying "Times change, don't judge history through a modern lense." or "Don't punish a son for the crime of his father." or some hypocritical shit like that.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Which, as of yet, hasnt actually been effective. Because skirting the line isnt crossing it, no matter how often its done. Even when its less than subtle calls to violence.

Which, to be fair, are the rules. You dont get punished for nearly breaking the law, after all
It is ambiguous enough that it becomes too easy to defend friends and fellow travelers while applying more heavy scrutiny to people who have expressed critical or contrary opinions than the enforcer likes. A lot of these kind of relationships are based off of trust that simply doesn't exist in this case. It is rule of men instead of rule of law. Cantus can easily come with any kind of excuse to justify any sort of action or inaction and there is a pattern. There also doesn't seem to be much value placed on people who think differently where they are instead treated more as a nuisance which is more of a wider cultural issue. I think many people see getting the other person banned as a way to win an argument but that is completely awful. This rules thread shouldn't become a team mob fight where you have to gang up on the other team. Smoke and an Admin should have been the only ones that were involved in that specific instance about the old threads.

I would like to praise Shaman with how she responded. She showed sympathy and offered an explanation and didn't really threaten to ban anyone. With a small close knit community leading by example will go a lot further than trying to threaten people who criticize admin policy. Shaman didn't condone the post Smoke made either so it isn't like she had to really give anything up. I think Smoke has a sentiment that is very sympathetic in this case even if his post wasn't. Our relationship here isn't transactional. Kellick has done a very good job in this regard too by leading by example. It the vast majority of cases getting people to want to post constructively and be friendly to each other is better than making them afraid to say the wrong thing or piss off the wrong person because they will face banishment. This is especially true when the sole purpose of the forum is sharing ideas. When people are driven away or afraid to talk the forum becomes desolate and bare.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I, much like most religious and zealously partisan people, sort of pick and choose the things in my culture and its history I want to acknowledge and bring attention to, while vehemently shying away from everything else saying "Times change, don't judge history through a modern lense." or "Don't punish a son for the crime of his father." or some hypocritical shit like that.
Somethings are inherent. I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
The root of this problem, in my worthless opinion, unfortunately is that so many people place so much of their self-worth on whatever political opinions and allegiances they happen to have. Even from your language there - 'the other side.' I personally find it so boring when people treat their conservatism or liberalism as if it was their home sports team - that you're part of a faction that needs to be defended; lest your own dignity be affronted. And one of the worst bi-products of this phenomena in contemporary society is the way it suggests those are your only two choices - as if the entirety of political philosophy can be boiled down to the antiquated terms of 'left' and 'right' that should have no relevance in modern discussion unless you happened to be talking about which side of the assembly you would have sat on during the French Revolution.

Abandon these parties that will invariably treat you like a rube and instead dare to think independently - collective identities are truly poisonous. But none of this is particularly relevant to the R&R thread, so I will stop here.
I am one of the most non-partisan people here because my political beliefs come from all over the supposed political spectrum. However while I may not like the partisanship that doesn't mean I can't see that it exists. It has taken root and I think the only way to get rid of it is to ask Doc Brown for his Delorian. And so we now need to work with it, impartiality is the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What do you propose?
No point in giving out specific ideas when the modmins have not signaled that this is even a debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
And, let me be clear, the reference to that notorious website (Stormfront) wasn't random, Smoke has promoted concepts that are only found within the realm of White Supremacist ideology (14 words)
I seriously doubt that. That is not his style. Do you have a source for this accusation?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I am one of the most non-partisan people here because my political beliefs come from all over the supposed political spectrum. However while I may not like the partisanship that doesn't mean I can't see that it exists. It has taken root and I think the only way to get rid of it is to ask Doc Brown for his Delorian. And so we now need to work with it, impartiality is the answer.
You know how it is, if you are not with us, you are our enemy. No matter who and what you truly are.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:30 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Y'all need to stop pretending you're above partisanship. If there isn't a group you're loyal to, then there's at least a group you hate the most. We wouldn't have the Social Justice thread otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:41 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
I seriously doubt that. That is not his style. Do you have a source for this accusation?
As I said at the end of my last post, I'm not discussing this topic further here. If you have questions, concerns, or need confirmation/clarifications on my answers, PM me.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Eternal

Popping in to inform the mods of your attempt to try to dodge my very simple question. Apparently it is far too difficult for any of you to answer. Still want to know what infinite wisdom thought that a discord is a good idea.

It's time to put a chainsaw to these political threads that only exist to pit people against each other.

It's gone long enough. I want to get back to criticizing Blizzard for making really poor creative decisions with other people.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
Popping in to inform the mods of your attempt to try to dodge my very simple question. Apparently it is far too difficult for any of you to answer. Still want to know what infinite wisdom thought that a discord is a good idea.

It's time to put a chainsaw to these political threads that only exist to pit people against each other.

It's gone long enough. I want to get back to criticizing Blizzard for making really poor creative decisions with other people.
Discord (and minecraft) are not official.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

From the top:
  • Mutters thought up the idea and implemented it. It's unofficial. We just don't see any reason to ask him to stop it, because people are going to create a discord whether or not we like it. Better to have some control than none.
  • Whether or not we ban politics, personal opinions that are controversial will remain and infect other parts of the forum. As with the Discord, better to have some control over the insanity than try to hold back the tide in places where more functional conversations are desired (e.g. the actual Blizzard related sections).
  • Please constructively criticize Blizzard at your own pleasure and leisure. We aren't stopping you.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:22 PM

World Builder

Quote:
From the top:
  • Mutters thought up the idea and implemented it. It's unofficial. We just don't see any reason to ask him to stop it, because people are going to create a discord whether or not we like it. Better to have some control than none.
  • Whether or not we ban politics, personal opinions that are controversial will remain and infect other parts of the forum. As with the Discord, better to have some control over the insanity than try to hold back the tide in places where more functional conversations are desired (e.g. the actual Blizzard related sections).
  • Please constructively criticize Blizzard at your own pleasure and leisure. We aren't stopping you.
Erthad actually brought it up initially

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

the discord needs some of those "Sticky messages" or well some discord "Boards" need them for like where movies and stuff should be posted, some of them are pretty selfexplanatory.

like the overwatch and warcraft general and general gaming. but general entertainment doesnt really yell movies to me. But i am stupid.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:29 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
the discord needs some of those "Sticky messages" or well some discord "Boards" need them for like where movies and stuff should be posted, some of them are pretty selfexplanatory.

like the overwatch and warcraft general and general gaming. but general entertainment doesnt really yell movies to me. But i am stupid.
Can "pin" messages if that'll help, want me or another discord-mod to stick a little blurb for each channel up?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-29-2017, 10:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

I'm confused. What is the SoL's admin/mod team's involvement with the Discord? I thought Mutters ran it. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
I'm confused. What is the SoL's admin/mod team's involvement with the Discord? I thought Mutters ran it. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Mutters runs the unofficial Discord and has overarching authority over its rules. Some members of the Staff here are part of the Mod team there (at Mutters discretion), but those roles are considered separate entities with separate restrictions, rules, and responsibilities (respectively). There is overlap in some respects, but again those are at Mutters discretion, not ours.

So, for instance, if you're banned here, you aren't banned there unless you violate a tenet that Mutters upholds (that said, he's more restrictive in terms of what topics of conversation and what level of aggression is allowed). Viceversa is true, you can be banned there, but be allowed here (e.g. if you start up a conversation on politics there, you'll be ejected, whereas politics is allowed here in the HoL).

If, at some point in the future, we decide to make our public presence on Discord "Official", then either we would create our own and Mutters' variant would have to change its name or he would have to relinquish control over his server to Warlock. That said, there has been no discussion on the topic of making an official public version, so right now there are no concerns about this issue.

FYI, there's also an official private Discord for SoL's Staff, but that's for internal business, not for public conversation. Users may hear about it from time to time, and may be asked to temporarily join us there in certain cases (e.g. mediating disputes or promoting members to Staff), but it has no relation to Mutter's server.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

FYI to all users: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...urie-alt-right

To pre-empt anything from either side of the political spectrum, our current stance on the use of the Pepe meme is unchanged with one exception. Please don't link to sites violating the Pepe copyright (e.g. if someone sells Pepe products or utilizes them in an official capacity without permission from the copyright owner). Otherwise, your use of the meme and extensions of it is your own prerogative and has no bearing on SoL's association with it.

Before anyone asks about other issues we've had around here, this is a drive by notice. I'll be back online much later this week if you have questions, comments, or old issues you'd like to bring up.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
FYI to all users: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...urie-alt-right

To pre-empt anything from either side of the political spectrum, our current stance on the use of the Pepe meme is unchanged with one exception. Please don't link to sites violating the Pepe copyright (e.g. if someone sells Pepe products or utilizes them in an official capacity without permission from the copyright owner). Otherwise, your use of the meme and extensions of it is your own prerogative and has no bearing on SoL's association with it.

Before anyone asks about other issues we've had around here, this is a drive by notice. I'll be back online much later this week if you have questions, comments, or old issues you'd like to bring up.
War..war never changes.

Cry kek and let loose the memes of war
Old 09-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Pretty much.

In other news, thanks to user report and further review, we discovered that Almed asexually budded from Galdus' rotting rectum and lodged himself back in the forum. Like his parent body and the rest of the asexually budded clones, he's been excised via permaban.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Pretty much.

In other news, thanks to user report and further review, we discovered that Almed asexually budded from Galdus' rotting rectum and lodged himself back in the forum. Like his parent body and the rest of the asexually budded clones, he's been excised via permaban.
Haha, I was about to ask if Almed was a Galdus alt. Well done.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
As I said at the end of my last post, I'm not discussing this topic further here. If you have questions, concerns, or need confirmation/clarifications on my answers, PM me.
Aren't you overdue for an apology to a certain someone?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I may have been living under a rock for the last year or something, but what? That frog is an alt-right symbol now? I need an explanation.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Pretty much.

If I recall this isn't the first time. It's funny how he tries to get around getting caught by spouting crap in the Warcraft section instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
I may have been living under a rock for the last year or something, but what? That frog is an alt-right symbol now? I need an explanation.
You need to browse more memes.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Hilldawg got mad her PR team was losing to basement dwellers and called it bad so the democratic attack dog known as the SPLC went after Pepe like good little bitches.

Now the OK sign is a symbol for white power and drinking milk is raciat, and the USDA is systemic proof of white supremacy because of cheesy fast food, because Hilldawgs PR team couldnt beat basement dwellers

Last edited by Ruinshin; 09-18-2017 at 10:34 PM..
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Now the OK sign is a symbol for white power
I always knew Colgate's obsession with "white" teeth was suspect:

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Please keep political statements (hyperbolic or otherwise) out of this thread.

Quote:
Aren't you overdue for an apology to a certain someone?
Very. Not trying to avoid it either, I've just had a very packed few weeks. God knows why, but they have weekend homework assignments these days. I had a better work/life balance in my last job.

Tags
administrators, admins, assing, moderations, moderators, mods, no gifs allowed, regulations, rules, scrolls of lore, serious business, tag police