Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Default Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Extended Edition

While picking up Durotan from my local Barnes and Noble, I noticed they were selling a "World of Warcraft Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Extended Edition." I only flipped through it, but it's added chapters about Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor.

There was a page on the naga that I can't remember if it was in the first version, where it says Azshara is "a loyal servant of the Old Gods." So that should answer the question of whose side Azshara is on in Legion.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Eternal

Neat. Is the timeline as expected with MoP&WoD taking a year each?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Sounds like a cash grab.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Since it is supposed to be updated until WoD and Thrall mentions that Aggra initially stayed to watch over his children, does it have the name of the second child? After all, Durak's name was first revealed here.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Banished

yes, that was in the old guide.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 PM

The Knight-Lord

Potential Lore Guff:
Page No° 158, Voren'thal
The character's text box states that Kael'thas AND Illidan ordered the assault on Shattrath. Doesn't William King's Illidan novel contradict that, making it so that only a rogue Kael'thas ordered the attack, and Illidan had nothing to do with it?

As a side note, I've found that there's been little talk over this book from... practically anyone. Blizzard hasn't hyped it, and the community doesn't seem to care about it at all. Do we put this down to it just getting lost amoungst everything that's come out recently, it being crap, or a combination of the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I hope you get raped harder than an African woman during ethnic cleansing
- Noitora, "A Couple of Illidan Spoilers" Thread (Pg. 17; Post #339)
Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Potential Lore Guff:
Page No° 158, Voren'thal
The character's text box states that Kael'thas AND Illidan ordered the assault on Shattrath. Doesn't William King's Illidan novel contradict that, making it so that only a rogue Kael'thas ordered the attack, and Illidan had nothing to do with it?

As a side note, I've found that there's been little talk over this book from... practically anyone. Blizzard hasn't hyped it, and the community doesn't seem to care about it at all. Do we put this down to it just getting lost amoungst everything that's come out recently, it being crap, or a combination of the two?
It feels like a tall order to spend a lot of effort hyping a second edition of a book that came out awhile back, especially right after Chronicle comes out. I'm interested in picking up the new edition now that I know about it so I can do a comparison between the two (I think the UVG has value as a companion piece to introduce the world visually) but it'll have to wait a bit.

I'd be willing to accept that the new edition may just be a contractual obligation and nothing to make waves about, but Stickney from BlizzardWatch was hyping that the new edition had come out after she'd done some assistance on it. And all told, I imagine WoW's CM crew has enough to do right now between managing information spillage about the alpha, hyping Chronicle and Illidan, and whatever the hell they're doing about this whole Nostalrius event. Failing to hype the UVG feels more like a matter of prioritization than a subtle hint about its quality.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Does it maintain all the character assassination that was in the last UVG?

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 05-09-2016 at 12:18 AM..
Old 05-09-2016, 02:11 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Potential Lore Guff:
Page No° 158, Voren'thal
That's also in the first UVG.

So much for the "updated" part -.-
Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 AM

Keeper of the Grove

WoD would only make sense if it was at least 2 years after the Siege of Orgrimmar. I ordered the extended one recently, almost exclusively to see what the official* timeline says it is.

*Subject to change
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Straight from Reddit:

Quote:
### Legendary Weapons
[*] **Med'an*[*] is **canonical**, and is said to wield Atiesh. Khadgar wields a similar staff and it is **not*[*] Atiesh. *This confirms that Khadgar != Medivh*.

### Character Chronicles

#### Titan
[*] **Sargeras**' status is listed as *unknown[*] meaning one can assume that he **is not dead*[*] and be correct, while one can *also[*] assume that he is dead and be correct.

#### Eredar
[*] **Archimonde*[*] is confirmed to be **dead**.
[*] **Kil'jaeden*[*] is also unknown.

#### Burning Legion
[*] The major races that join to form this monstrous evil are: **Nathrezim*[*] (Dreadlords), **Annihilan*[*] (Pit Lords), **Infernals**, **Eredar*[*] (Wrathguard), **Shivarra*[*] (Shivan), **Sayaad*[*] (Succubus), **Fel Orc**, **Felguard**, **Fel Reaver**.

#### Demon
[*] In the Ultimate Visual Guide, Illidan is said to be deceased.

### Story Chronicles

#### Return of the Burning Legion

##### Reopening the Tomb

> Gul'dan escaped certain defeat on Draenor, but his allegiance remained with the Burning Legion. Under the demons' command, the orc warlock was banished to Azeroth to open up a gateway for an invasion force that would be far larger than anything the Alliance and Horde had seen before. He traveled to the Broken Isles and used his power to reopen the Tomb of Sargeras with one purpose in mind: to bring about the return of the Burning Legion.

##### Pillars of Creation

> Battered and devastated, the Alliance and Horde traveled to the epicenter of the demonic invasion, the Broken Isles. Although the land was unfamiliar, it was imperative that they prevail there, for the fate of Azeroth itself was at risk. They realized there was one sure way to defeat the Legion and stop Sargeras' return--they needed to find the Pillars of Creation, relics of the titans that might hold the secret to Azeroth's salvation.

##### A Lord Punished

> After the fall of the Black Temple, the corpse of Illidan Stormrage, the lord of Outland, mysteriously disappeared. Legend holds that Warden Maiev Shadowsong took his broken body to the Vault of the Wardens, so that Illidan's soul could suffer an eternal setence--along with his followers, the feared Illidari demon hunters. Justice was to be served, forever.

### Characters

#### Alliance
[*] Aegwynn sacrificed her life to save her grandson, Med'an. *Contributing to the fact that Med'an is in fact canon*.
[*] Medivh's status is listed as Unknown, he may or may not be dead.
[*] Magni Bronzebeard is listed as Unknown, he may or may not be dead. *It's also said that his fate is unknown as well*.
[*] Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage are **co-rulers*[*] of the Night Elves.
[*] On Velen's character page, there is a sub-section concerning him and Kil'jaeden:

###### The Corruption of Kil'jaeden

> Once as close as brothers, Velen lost Kil'jaeden to Sargeras' evil. Consumed with darkness and enraged at what he saw as Velen's betrayal, Kil'jaeden relentlessly pursued the draenei for thousands of years.

*I bring this up, because Kil'jaeden may have given up on hunting the Draenei and is now completely focused on the eradication of all-life on Azeroth and the cosmos just as Sargeras is.*

Because I was curious about Marl Wormthorn, I'm going to put this here in case anyone else was. You can find him in the Tainted Scar, Blasted Lands in the giant tree known as Maldraz:
[*] **Marl Wormthorn**

> Saddened by the devastions of the Tainted Scar in the Blasted Lands, the worgen druid Marl Wormthorn tried to use his arts to heal the land from its corruption by the Burning Legion. He planted a giant tree, called Maldraz, and focused his power upon it in a trance, hoping that nature could bring balance back to the land. Though Marl's power was impressive, Maldraz could only bring some vitality back to the region. And as the tree grew, it attracted the attentions of the demonic nathrezim, or dreadlords, who inhabited the Tainted Scar. The nathrezim crept into Marl's trance, tearing at his mind and using him as a weapon. Marl's intentions were good, but the nathrezim were too powerful for him. He was finally killed to prevent the Tainted Forest he had created from endangering the lives of others.

#### Horde

**I am prefacing this with the fact that the Horde lore, in the Ultimate Visual Guide, has not changed. Whereas there are little bits and pieces of Alliance lore that changes, what seems, on a daily basis. So if someone else has picked up the Ultimate Visual Guide, and are well-versed with Horde lore, please shoot me a PM so I can update this post.**

##### Orcs

###### Honorable Mention goes to Broxigar:

> Broxigar was a proud orc veteran of the First, Second, and Third Wars. While investigating a strange temporal disturbance, Broxigar was sent back in time to the War of the Ancients, with the human mage Rhonin, and the mage Krasus (the elven guise of the red dragon Korialstrasz). Broxigar was captured by the night elves, but escaped with the help of Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage. He joined Tyrande and Malfurion in their fight against the Burning Legion, using a wooden axe crafted by Malfurion and blessed by Cenarius to tear through the demonic armies. In the final moments of the war, Broxigar leapt through a portal to the Twisting Nether in a heroic attempt to delay Sargeras' arrival on Azeroth. Broxigar finally came face to face with the leader of the Burning Legion. Broxigar was killed, but he managed what most thought impossible: he wounded Sargeras, slicing him in the leg. Broxigar's heroism lives on. His axe was reclaimed and was later passed on to his niece, Thura.

##### Tauren
[*] Xarantaur

> The druid Xarantaur was taught by Cenarius himself millennia ago. Where other tauren hunted beasts, he hunted stories, with an endless drive to learn of the past. As the years passed, he left his people and embarked on a world-spanning journey, always seeking greater knowledge. On the eve of his death, Xarantaur was rescued by the bronze dragonflight. He was brought before Nozdormu, Aspect of Time, and gifted with immortality as a Watcher. He is now Xarantaur the Witness and preserve the history of Azeroth, so that it is always remembered.
[*] Tahu Sagewind (first of the Tauren Priests)

> Tahu Sagewind was once a druid, but his philosophical discussions with Aponi Brightmane began to reveal a new path to him. As a druid, Tahu was well aware that the eyes of the Earth Mother are the sun and moon. Yet the druids followed the teachings of the moon only, as they gained much of their knowledge from the night elves. As such, the influence of the sun was lacking. Many have speculated that this intense pondering led Tahu to create the first priests of the tauren, allowing the tauren to channel the powers of the Light to aid their people.
[*] Aponi Brightmane (first of the Sunwalkers)

> A promising warrior, Aponi Brightmane joined the war against the Lich King in Northrend, where she sustained a grave injury. Forced to return home to Thunder Bluff, Aponi had philosophical discussions with her close friend Tahu Sagewind regarding Mu'sha and An'she, the eyes of the Earth Mother. These discussions eventually led to the tauren's rediscovery of the Light (An'she) and the founding of the first order of tauren paladins, the Sunwalkers.

##### Forsaken
[*] Sylvanas Windrunner

###### The Dark Ritual

> The ritual that Arthas used to turn Sylvanas into a banshee involved tearing her soul out of her still-living body. It infinitely prolonged her existence as a creature filled with hate toward all life.

###### Queen of the Forsaken

> While the Alliance and Horde fought the Lich King in Northrend, Grand Apothecary Putress and the dreadlord Varimathras attempted a coup against Sylvanas. They occupied the Undercity, but Sylvanas escaped. She returned at the head of a Horde army, recaptured the city, and slew Varimathras.

###### Maidens of Nightmare

> **Arthas created the Val'kyr from the female vrykul of Valkyrion to serve as his agents.*[*] After Arthas was destroyed, the nine remaining Val'kyr elders entered into a pact with Sylvanas. This bound their souls to Sylvanas, granting them freedom from the Lich King, and in return spared Sylvanas from the terrors of the afterlife that awaited her.
[*] Varimathras is still alive, reanimated in the Twisting Nether where he plots revenge.
[*] Lilian Voss is dead.

#### Neutral

##### Pandaren
[*] Emperor Shaohao's status is unknown.
[*] Ji Firepaw survived the Siege of Orgrimmar.

### Alternate Draenor

#### Non-Aligned

##### Breakers
[*] Magnaron are direct descendants from the colossals who first shaped Draenor. (*I think this is a form of confirmation that the Titans played no hand here*.)
[*] Gronn are descendants of the Magnaron.
[*] Ogron represent the evolutionary link between Magnaron, Gronn, and Ogres.
[*] Goren are not related to Magnaron.

##### Denizens
[*] Pale Orcs are Orc Shaman who have gone mad during a coming-of-age pilgrimage to the Throne of the Elements to seek the blessings of the Elements. (*Sometimes the ceremony goes horribly wrong*.)

### Heroes and Villains of Azeroth

#### Non-Aligned

##### Factions
[*] The Twilight's Hammer has scattered.
[*] Cho'gall is **dead**.
[*] The Order of the Silver Hand and the Argent Dawn are now one organization, the Argent Crusade, and do not operate as individual factions any longer.
[*] The Earthen Ring are still repairing Deathwing's damage to Azeroth.

##### Scourge
[*] Kel'thuzad is *still not dead.[*] His phylactery still at large.
[*] Amnennar the Coldbringer's phylactery is still missing.
[*] Baron Rivendare's life is tied to Kel'thuzad's. Until Kel'thuzad finally meets his end, Baron will forever return.

##### Dragons
[*] Alexstrasza has passed on her legacy to the mortals of Azeroth.
[*] Kalecgos disbanded the Blue Dragonflight and has taken it upon himself to continue the task of studying and preserving artifacts of magical significance.
[*] Nozdormu is mortal. Blah.
[*] Ysera, now mortal, continues to mentor druids.
[*] Wrathion is questionably acting out.

##### Elements
[*] Ragnaros and Al'akir are still dead.
[*] Therazane continues to be neutral, while still preferring to be left alone.
[*] Neptulon was carried away by Ozumat, his fate is currently unknown.

##### Denizens
[*] Qiraji could become a threat in the future.

Last edited by Krainz; 05-12-2016 at 03:26 AM..
Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Straight from Reddit:
To compare this, K'j's status was living in the first UVG. Sargy was unknown in the first one too.

I thought Illidan and Lilian would be changed to Unknown and Undead but whatever.

The Alliance part posted here has nothing new it's all included in the first one. As well as the Horde part, except for the Ji bit. Shaohao was unknown too.

I don't understand Amnennar's info. It got a continuation in WoD. Also the Argent Crusade/Dawn/Silver Hand was also mentioned in the first one.

Kalec's info is the same but I think Dawn of the Aspects mentioned he wanted to restore it after all.

Wrathion is new!

What about the timeline tho?

I got mixed feelings from this but I will pass judgment once I get my copy.

Last edited by Mordecay; 05-12-2016 at 04:37 AM..
Old 05-12-2016, 04:35 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I'm just gonna consider UVG's headcanon, instead of actual canon.

For example, Legion confirms that Khadgar is wielding Atiesh.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
Potential Lore Guff:
Page No° 158, Voren'thal

The Ultimate Contradiction Guide continues its efforts to make WoW lore shitter.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
For example, Legion confirms that Khadgar is wielding Atiesh.
What the fel?

Oh, ok, found it on Reddit.

Last edited by Mordecay; 05-12-2016 at 04:41 AM..
Old 05-12-2016, 04:49 AM

"Lilian Voss is dead."

Yeah, sorry, but WoD confirms that that's not the case.

Either that reddit post is fake, or this UVG is worse than the first one.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:15 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, but WoD confirms that that's not the case.
Didn't know that. What's in for Voss in WoD?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Didn't know that. What's in for Voss in WoD?
She gives you quests.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:08 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
She gives you quests.
She's also one of the rogue order hall champions in Legion.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Eternal

Khadgar also calls his staff Atiesh in Legion and says it's what gives the crow form (not some spell he and Medivh know).

And Neptulon's not unknown, he's safe and sound in Legion.

I'm calling fake.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:27 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
Khadgar also calls his staff Atiesh in Legion and says it's what gives the crow form (not some spell he and Medivh know).

And Neptulon's not unknown, he's safe and sound in Legion.

I'm calling fake.
Not the first time the UVG has had inconsistencies.

It may also not be 1:1 with Alpha stuff since Alpha stuff may have been changed a bit. Though iirc this UVG is updated for MoP+WoD not Legion so Neptulon's fate would still be unknown for that point in time.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:02 PM

Arch-Druid

Urgh, Atiesh thingie sounds somewhat fake. Otherwise, it seems that it's not that much of an updated edition. It includes errors from the old UVG and doesn't update old pages in accordance to the latest events. Shame.

Quote:
[*] Lilian Voss is dead.
It's an error from the old UVG. Kosak tweeted about this. And she has a cameo in WoD.

Quote:
[*] Amnennar the Coldbringer's phylactery is still missing.
Old info. Back in MoP era his phylactery was missing, yes. But in WoD it was finally found and secured by a red dragon.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 PM

Elune

In the Azsuna intro Khadgar outright says "I prefer to use the greatstaff Atiesh's raven form" so someone is full of shit here
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 PM

The Knight-Lord

Being a role-player, I see myself as having an innate interest in getting the fellows of my ilk more invested in and excited about the overall narrative. Turning them into lore-nuts like me can pay off. My theory is this: if more people in my role-play community are good with the franchise's story, then the chance of us all getting better role-play out of each other goes up significantly.

Ideally, the UVG ought to help me, and other "teachers" like me, greatly with our mission to bring people into the story. The UVG ought to be the first stepping-stone into the greater story. You start with the UVG, then move on to Chronicles and then the novels, manga, etc... That's how it should go.

I'm hesitant to follow that path now, though.

This "Updated" and Expanded edition is a joke. The reaction to the flaws of the first book ought to of been researched and taken into account. There should not of been any repeated mistakes. It can't be that hard to spend a little time going through this forum or other places like it and reading where you screwed up the first time so you can correct your mistakes. When creating this new book,they ought to of used the first book like the Devs do a game's beta. The author's were lazy. Pure and simple; and it's such a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I hope you get raped harder than an African woman during ethnic cleansing
- Noitora, "A Couple of Illidan Spoilers" Thread (Pg. 17; Post #339)
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So do we just agree to never regard UVG again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
lore, world of warcraft