Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:21 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
Should I be worried? I remember one blizzcon had the golden dragon, then we got Pandaria. Murkidan and the ugly dog mount? We got Legion. The double headed mount from Frostfire Ridge? we got Warlords. Now we got Jaina up front and two faction mounts...
World of warcraft: the fourth war it will be a pandaria expansion where we take a break and focus on the faction war for some reason.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
I actually like how the Warcraft RPG handled the contrast between their philosophies. the Cult of Forgotten Shadow had very similar beliefs, but from an almost inverted perspective. It had many of the same virtues, but the explanations were always in terms of personal survival rather than higher minded ideals. The idea of everything being interconnected was there, with their virtue of respect being based on how the will of all shaped reality, but the focus was definitely on the individual. The potential to gain a mastery over the greater whole as an extension of oneself rather than to simply exist harmoniously as a part of that greater whole.
I need to reread that.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 09-15-2017, 05:29 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Sea cow people.
I would play it.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Legion had demons, elves, naga, tauren, and vrykul thematics, many of which didn't really intersect with each other.
Many of them allied or were corrupted by the legion, so that's debatable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 AM

Banished

Malygos.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
Malygos.
Malygos was a subplot not related to the main plot.
It's nice to include subplots, allows for variation of themes.

Ulduar and Yog-saron was another subplot not related to the Lich King. It feels more organic because it was better executed.

Yog-saron subplot intersected with Lich King's in a few moments (saronite, the vision of LK with Bolvar and Dranosh in Yog-saron's fight). It had a whole zone devoted to it, an interesting development and two dungeons before the raid came out.

The thing about the Nexus War is that it was not so well-done. It doesn't feel epic, the final raid is a weak one-boss fight. It has 3 dungeons devoted to it, but they are all somewhat lacking. The storyline does not intersect with other stories, feeling apart from the rest of Northrend. The threat of an Aspect against all magic users could have been the center of an entire expansion, but in WotLK it ended not living up to expectation.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
I actually like how the Warcraft RPG handled the contrast between their philosophies. the Cult of Forgotten Shadow had very similar beliefs, but from an almost inverted perspective. It had many of the same virtues, but the explanations were always in terms of personal survival rather than higher minded ideals. The idea of everything being interconnected was there, with their virtue of respect being based on how the will of all shaped reality, but the focus was definitely on the individual. The potential to gain a mastery over the greater whole as an extension of oneself rather than to simply exist harmoniously as a part of that greater whole.
Ah the old Cult of Forgotten Shadow. I liked how it was heavily inspired by divine humanism.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Ah the old Cult of Forgotten Shadow. I liked how it was heavily inspired by divine humanism.
Both it and the Light were, though the perspectives were reversed. Seeing yourself as potentially being an extension of everything vs everything potentially being an extension of yourself.

In that regard, who else gets the impression that Locus-Walker is trying to steal power from the gods to manufacture gods of his own, with how he had Alleria consume the hearts of a Demigod and Naaru? It seems to me like he's cultivating people capable of becoming Shadow Ascendants of a sort.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
The threat of an Aspect against all magic users could have been the center of an entire expansion, but in WotLK it ended not living up to expectation.
Malygos could have carried an expansion by himself couldn't he, especially coming off of Sunwell. Damn, would have done him a lot more justice too, at least as an aspect. But that would mean two mad aspect themed expansions. And cataclysm needed Kalecgos to be the blue aspect for the superfriends arc. Shame. Sunwell, for me at least, put blue dragons on a pretty high coolness tier. And now thinking back, coldara kinda killed that.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

I caved.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
Malygos could have carried an expansion by himself couldn't he, especially coming off of Sunwell. Damn, would have done him a lot more justice too, at least as an aspect. But that would mean two mad aspect themed expansions. And cataclysm needed Kalecgos to be the blue aspect for the superfriends arc. Shame. Sunwell, for me at least, put blue dragons on a pretty high coolness tier. And now thinking back, coldara kinda killed that.
To an extent, it feels like the Nexus War was something they came up with in order to do Flying City Dalaran as the faction capital, but they either ran out of time or will to really give that narrative legs.

I never thought it was reasonable to have killing Malygos be the only solution to the problem, but I also never understood the notion that a) he's been crazypants for 10,000 years, but b) it's getting nether-juiced that gets him his sanity back, after which he decides that c) the bigger threat facing the world is rampant abuse of magic and not, y'know THE UNDEAD SCOURGE LITERALLY VISIBLE FROM THE GODDAMN OCULUS.

Beating Malygos into submission, and then having the Blue Flight play a role in assaulting Icecrown would have made more sense. Which, to bring it forward a bit, the part where the Armies of Legionfall buff shows you getting help from all of the Broken Isles groups we've helped out throughout the expansion really felt cool.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Is Locus-Walker the first actual ethereal character? As in not someone who exists just to be a quest giver or quest target.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Is Locus-Walker the first actual ethereal character? As in not someone who exists just to be a quest giver or quest target.
Depends on if you count Haramad

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Nexus-Prince_Haramad

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Image_of_Nexus-Prince_Haramad

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
To an extent, it feels like the Nexus War was something they came up with in order to do Flying City Dalaran as the faction capital, but they either ran out of time or will to really give that narrative legs.
I've heard that Crystalsong Forrest was going to be related to the Nexus War, but if that's true and if so how deep that was going to go i have no idea. But it DOES have some magical shit and seemingly useless elite blue dragons flying about, and there was going to be SOMEthing going on in that place, so i don't doubt it.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I've heard that Crystalsong Forrest was going to be related to the Nexus War, but if that's true and if so how deep that was going to go i have no idea. But it DOES have some magical shit and seemingly useless elite blue dragons flying about, and there was going to be SOMEthing going on in that place, so i don't doubt it.
They say Dalaran lagged the zone too much, and that originally the argent tournament was meant to be there too

Should've instanced dalaran

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
They say Dalaran lagged the zone too much, and that originally the argent tournament was meant to be there too

Well, yeah, but that was patch content. I'm talking 3.0.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post

Instancing Dalaran would solve the lag problem, but it would also feel very bad having to load in/out all the time.

It's a shame they didn't have the sharding tech back then. That would have solved the problem.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Nexus-Prince Haramand.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:58 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Instancing Dalaran would solve the lag problem, but it would also feel very bad having to load in/out all the time.

It's a shame they didn't have the sharding tech back then. That would have solved the problem.
Eh, possible, I wouldn't have minded personally

Sad but true

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:

I'd not sure sharding would have fully fixed the issue as well. I think the main problem was having a zone on top of another zone hence why Dalaran is off the coast in Legion.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:17 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Some say that Kul Tiras should bebe based on Spain. Do you know who conquered Spain back in the day? It was those Ethereals!?!
Spain was conquered by Arabs, eventually got freed, thanks to the Catholic Kings. So, considering inspirations, we would Say Kul-Tiras is under Ethereals control, and its our job to go with Alleria and Turalyon to freed the crap out of them.
Using ships because of course we will use ships
And the ships will have loli, latino and religious references :v

Quote:
The guy in BC who talks like Frank'n'Further, and the boss in Violet Hold. I assume they go the extra mile with the voices, because they dont have faces to convey specific feelings.

Last edited by Temo; 09-15-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Old 09-15-2017, 02:53 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Spain was conquered by Arabs, eventually got freed, thanks to the Catholic Kings. So, considering inspirations, we would Say Kul-Tiras is under Ethereals control, and its our job to go with Alleria and Turalyon to freed the crap out of them.
Using ships because of course we will use ships
And the ships will have loli, latino and religious references :v
Bebe?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Bebe?
For La Niña, La Pinta y La Santa Maria, the ships Columbus used to "discover" America
But yeah, Kul Tiras using a lot of the Spanish culture would be amazeballs. References to El Quijote de la Mancha, El Cantar del Mio Cid, La Celestina, Windmills everywhere, Flamenco music to ambient the continent, The Ethereals invading the world with a mix of Void energy and bringing tons of Moor/Muslim influences... it would be great, thematically.

But I guess a lot of people would REVOLT to the concept of giving Tirasians any kind of an image and a concept beyond "White People with ships"
Old 09-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
For La Niña, La Pinta y La Santa Maria, the ships Columbus used to "discover" America
But yeah, Kul Tiras using a lot of the Spanish culture would be amazeballs. References to El Quijote de la Mancha, El Cantar del Mio Cid, La Celestina, Windmills everywhere, Flamenco music to ambient the continent, The Ethereals invading the world with a mix of Void energy and bringing tons of Moor/Muslim influences... it would be great, thematically.

But I guess a lot of people would REVOLT to the concept of giving Tirasians any kind of an image and a concept beyond "White People with ships"
People would revolt for making Ethereal invaders the Muslim group.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Banished

I need Jaina rocking a half spanish/half Queen-of-The-Seven-Kingdoms Cersei look.
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion