Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM

World Builder

Runes Alliance Plot Ideas Sans Horde

What are some possible alliance plots / stories that wouldn't involve reacting to Horde aggression and such?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Hon hon hon

The Searing Gorge, Burning Steppes and Grim Batol reconquest :

With the members of the Council of the Three Hammers showing respect, if only grumpily, and Varian try to convince the members of the Alliance's members that sparing the Horde was a good idea, the Kingdom of Khaz Modan, the Wildhammer, the Dark Iron dwarves serving Moļra, Dalaran and the Silver Covenant receive reinforcement from Stormwind, to reclaim the Burning Steppes, Searing Gorge, Blackrock Mountain and Grim Batol, as a mean to strengthen the Alliance, bolster its resources, regain lost knowledges and artefacts.

Gains : The Dwarven Nation lead the charge and show its unity will enlightening the specificities of each Clan.

Varian prove that sparing the Horde was good because instead of waiting doing nothing, the Alliance can now spare a lot more of soldiers to dangers and difficulties which make the life difficult for many Nations in the Alliance.

The Alliance get to show its competence, the humans take a back seat, but in the same time participate and it can in fact be used to promote minor characters (Blueheart, Rogers, Southmantle, etc.) and maybe gave us some nuggets of lore (how the Humans discovered the dwarves, how they reacted to the War of the Three Hammers, etc).

Edit : I don't talk about the Badlands, because there is Horde's presence here which seems a lot more important than in the Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge. But in the same time, the Horde could get some political tensions with orcs from there fleeing to the Horde in desperation, despite them being closer to Garrosh's loyalists. Vol'jin would then prove himself as a skilled politician and tactician, maybe even gaining the respect of those orcs. a Win-Win situation.

Last edited by Korath; 04-07-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Default Stromgarde Civil War

The House of Nobles and their League of Arathor lackeys attempt to wrest control of Stromgarde and the Arathi highlands away from the now king of Stromgarde, Danath Trollbane. Danath Trollbane threatens secession from the Alliance.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Banished

Do you realize that even without the Horde, every Alliance storyline will end up with them being this right?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
The House of Nobles and their League of Arathor lackeys attempt to wrest control of Stromgarde and the Arathi highlands away from the now king of Stromgarde, Danath Trollbane. Danath Trollbane threatens secession from the Alliance.
Well, that'd require first taking back Stromgarde from the Syndicate and ogres right? And dealing with Galen Trollbane and the Forsaken, so already there you'd have to deal with a plot involving the Horde. Granted it can still work as a plot after, but my point is that a lot of the Alliance's problems are because of the Horde. Before they can advance other plot points they need to deal with the problems caused by the Horde, otherwise they'll linger and people will keep on crying why we're not dealing with this or that. It's sad, but unfortunately true.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM

Drunk Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
The Searing Gorge, Burning Steppes and Grim Batol reconquest :

With the members of the Council of the Three Hammers showing respect, if only grumpily, and Varian try to convince the members of the Alliance's members that sparing the Horde was a good idea, the Kingdom of Khaz Modan, the Wildhammer, the Dark Iron dwarves serving Moļra, Dalaran and the Silver Covenant receive reinforcement from Stormwind, to reclaim the Burning Steppes, Searing Gorge, Blackrock Mountain and Grim Batol, as a mean to strengthen the Alliance, bolster its resources, regain lost knowledges and artefacts.

Gains : The Dwarven Nation lead the charge and show its unity will enlightening the specificities of each Clan.

Varian prove that sparing the Horde was good because instead of waiting doing nothing, the Alliance can now spare a lot more of soldiers to dangers and difficulties which make the life difficult for many Nations in the Alliance.

The Alliance get to show its competence, the humans take a back seat, but in the same time participate and it can in fact be used to promote minor characters (Blueheart, Rogers, Southmantle, etc.) and maybe gave us some nuggets of lore (how the Humans discovered the dwarves, how they reacted to the War of the Three Hammers, etc).

Edit : I don't talk about the Badlands, because there is Horde's presence here which seems a lot more important than in the Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge. But in the same time, the Horde could get some political tensions with orcs from there fleeing to the Horde in desperation, despite them being closer to Garrosh's loyalists. Vol'jin would then prove himself as a skilled politician and tactician, maybe even gaining the respect of those orcs. a Win-Win situation.
Yes.

All of my yes.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnfeld View Post
Well, that'd require first taking back Stromgarde from the Syndicate and ogres right? And dealing with Galen Trollbane and the Forsaken, so already there you'd have to deal with a plot involving the Horde. Granted it can still work as a plot after, but my point is that a lot of the Alliance's problems are because of the Horde. Before they can advance other plot points they need to deal with the problems caused by the Horde, otherwise they'll linger and people will keep on crying why we're not dealing with this or that. It's sad, but unfortunately true.
Not -really- the forsaken could of been pushed out of the region by the containment Varian wants to put in place. Galen is dead so he is irrelevant to the crown now, could of been pushed out with them.

It could make for a really neat scenario, actually. Starting at the chapel the Alliance players go around weakening defensive positions and head-honchos of the Syndicate and ogres. Danath rolls in with his army and retakes the city.

It then phases to show wooden pulleys and the like moving resources up onto the walls for repairs and improvements. Workmen rebuilding homes, etc.

In fact, it doesn't stop there. The forces of Strom, on a high since the retaking of their beloved city begin to crack down on the pirate problem to their south-west, enlisting the help of a gnomish submarine to blockade Faldir's cove to stop them from entering and leave.

The Alliance player goes in with a select few men of Strom <insert chance to create and develop more characters or have Danath come along for the ride> go and assault the pirates. Eventually killing most, taking prisoners and capturing their ship. You return to Strom for some of the construction work to be phased out, repaired lamp-posts etc.

It could make for a neat revamp of the zone for the Alliance, actually. Going to and from Strom -- doing errands which help restore the city to glory.

Last edited by Insipid_Lobster; 04-07-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Not -really- the forsaken could of been pushed out of the region by the containment Varian wants to put in place. Galen is dead so he is irrelevant to the crown now, could of been pushed out with them.

It could make for a really neat scenario, actually. Starting at the chapel the Alliance players go around weakening defensive positions and head-honchos of the Syndicate and ogres. Danath rolls in with his army and retakes the city.

It then phases to show wooden pulleys and the like moving resources up onto the walls for repairs and improvements. Workmen rebuilding homes, etc.
Obviously and I agree on a retaking Stromgarde scenario, but the thing with Galen and Trol'kalar still needs to be addressed, and not lie forgotten, because it's hella more important than you think.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Obviously and I agree on a retaking Stromgarde scenario, but the thing with Galen and Trol'kalar still needs to be addressed, and not lie forgotten, because it's hella more important than you think.
Oh, I agree. But I can't really see it being dealt with unless another faction war happens or everyone gets sick of the forsaken (which I see being the most likely event).
Old 04-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Surprise! Mostly real estate plots!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:39 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Because clearly the last thing displaced people want to do is get their homes back?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Welcome to a lot of quests in WoW, "clear out X from our land, they're a problem". "Clear out Y because we want that mine".

It's also a bit silly, IMO, for a faction to tolerate pests like gnolls, ogres and murlocs for a long time. Sure, they can be a persistent problem but in one specific patch of land for a good 10 years? After people have been tasked with beating them down. Yeah...

But then again, it is an MMO. Constrictions to story telling etc.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Oh, I agree. But I can't really see it being dealt with unless another faction war happens or everyone gets sick of the forsaken (which I see being the most likely event).
Yeah that is true. At the very least Stromgarde can be retaken without involving the Horde.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Because there is nothing else that people care about. No one likes Varian or Anduin, people don't want to think of stories that involve them. Completely ignoring land related doesn't make sense from a lore perspective. People want to think of stories that involve things they like. Those things happen to be tied to land and factions tied to specific regions because the Alliance has been void of interesting big picture things for a long time.

Plus, this thread wasn't about stories that can work for the Alliance's main story. There was nothing that said we couldn't think of potential stories that are tied to specific regions.

@theotherpeople

My idea for Stromgarde was that the Horde was pushed out because of the treaty and Stromgarde was retaken offscreen.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Because clearly the last thing displaced people want to do is get their homes back?
That's not the issue. The issue is that it dooms the Alliance to a cycle of have and have not without addressing the real issue that lies at heart of the Alliance's storyline deficiencies.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM

Elune

A bit generic, but I'd like to see some NE quests helping out the various factions and giving them a bit more background and capabilities. Help a warden expedition with rounding up a dark cult, assist the highborne with retrieving artifacts from one of their old ruins, aid the dryads in restoring a grove, stuff like that.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
No it doesn't. Stromgarde isn't a dead kingdom so its laws still take precedence. Galen died. Therefor the heir to the throne is Danath. Sylvanas and the forsaken could not legally press a claim to the throne while there are still living Strom. As far as Stromgarde and the Alliance are concerned, Dananth is the heir and king and that's it. Sylvanas might complain, but legally she doesn't have a foot to stand on. If the forsaken are smart, they wouldn't contest anything in the Arathi Highlands and work on securing what they have in Hillsbrad. Hell, if the Horde is smart it would completely retreat from the Arathi Highlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
A bit generic, but I'd like to see some NE quests helping out the various factions and giving them a bit more background and capabilities. Help a warden expedition with rounding up a dark cult, assist the highborne with retrieving artifacts from one of their old ruins, aid the dryads in restoring a grove, stuff like that.
That would be good too. As well as the Dwarven idea.

Last edited by Kynrind; 04-07-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Echo of the Past

Besides, Galen Trollbane doesn't care about Stromgarde anymore at all; only Sylvanas. The UVG told us.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-07-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Arch-Druid

I want to see inter racial friction but also cooperation in spite of it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 PM

Eternal

How about the Renaissance of Stormwind? Seems like something that doesn't require the Horde and gives the Kingdom some sorely needed culture, history, and thematics that make it not bland and generic.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
How about the Renaissance of Stormwind? Seems like something that doesn't require the Horde and gives the Kingdom some sorely needed culture, history, and thematics that make it not bland and generic.
This is a bad idea. I like Stormwind's thematics, and there are a lot of people that do as well.

Humans are unique in WoW. No other race has the medieval-esque appearance. Taking that away subtracts from the game and from the Human race. It would be like Goblins who don't care about money, Gnomes without the tech thematic, Night Elves without the nature thematic. Taking the medieval appearance of Stormwind is a betrayal to the people who like them because of that.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
I want to see inter racial friction but also cooperation in spite of it.
And this is not a real estate plot! I whole-heartily endorse this sentiment.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
And this is not a real estate plot! I whole-heartily endorse this sentiment.
This isn't a plot.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM

Highborne vs. Druids sounds good.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Real estate plots. Real estate plots everywhere.

Then, when those are resolved, the Alliance can kick Sargeras in the jimmies in a raid. The Horde can also kick Sargeras's jimmies, if the player characters involved are Horde. And Bilzzard can retcon the encounter so that the Alliance and Horde kicked Sargeras's jimmies together.

The end!

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Tags
blaming horde players, factions are dumb, fanwank