Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Godzilla.....

So. Fucking. Disappointed.

That is all I have to say.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:42 AM

Eternal

Haven't seen it yet, though I looked forward to it. How bad was it and why?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Well, that's discouraging... I was kind of looking forward to it..
Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Well, that's discouraging... I was kind of looking forward to it..
I wouldn't freak out, i've heard a ton of good shit about it.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:55 AM

Sha of Disappointment

It has the biggest Godzilla yet, and he doesn't seem to suffer from Cybertronitis (though i fear Cloverfield Syndrom). Quite frankly the only real way to fuck this up for me is if they spend TOO much time on the humans. It's a Pacific Rim situation - yes, the movie is probably going to be really, really stupid, but you don't watch Godzilla for the story. It usually barely has one
Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
It has the biggest Godzilla yet, and he doesn't seem to suffer from Cybertronitis (though i fear Cloverfield Syndrom). Quite frankly the only real way to fuck this up for me is if they spend TOO much time on the humans. It's a Pacific Rim situation - yes, the movie is probably going to be really, really stupid, but you don't watch Godzilla for the story. It usually barely has one
thats what my bf and friends said when they saw it.

Your not here to watch some bullshit story told by humans about how big godzilla is, if you want that go read clifford the big red dog.
Your here to watch a fun romp about big G doing his thing, and hopefully killing Shia LaBeouf in the process with one stomp.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Saw this today. It was awesome.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Just saw it. Short version: liked most of it, some minor annoyances that are no deal breaker to me, one huge annoyance that'll probably kill it for many, many people. If you haven't seen Godzilla yet, don't worry - you barely do when watching the movie either. If you thought Spikey Waves was the best part about Emmerich's version and that actually having your title character on screen is overrated this is the movie for you. All in all i say inform yourself before seeing it. (You should always read spoilers anyway.)
Longer version a bit later, eating Cordon Bleu now.

Edit: SO. Spoilers.

Look, i totally get it, one wants to tease and build up to the big guy. That's fine. But at some point you gotta show off the monster in a meaningfull way. A sexy, spikey back and one roar is not what i pay for in a Godzilla movie. I generally like the portrayal of the Kaiju in this movie (especially how the Starshi Troopers Bug-Cloverfield hybrids at first don't seem all that evil, just animals cought up in human affairs) but Godzilla doesn't get enough. But that's not even the problem - it's that not only the MUTOs get a SHIT TON of screen time but every time (until the very end of the movie) some action is about to happen, the movie just cuts away and shows us the aftermath. That worked exactly once, several decades ago and only because no one knew that a single Borg Cube was going to rip 40 Starfleet ships a new one. We kinda do know what a Kaiju does to a city. We are not impressed. Especially not when you show us the first few seconds of a fight and then cut away. That is not clever. That is dumb. If you need to tease the monsters, fine, but don't COCKTEASE them. At some point, every time the film did that the entire theater sighed or stared cursing. I have no idea why they did that in this way (i presume the somewhat plain design of the MUTOs was easier to render than the very impressive looking Godzilla) but it was definitely worse than not showing anything at all.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 05-17-2014 at 04:24 PM..
Old 05-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Eternal

I honestly thought filmmakers would have learned from the hidious mistakes in transformers, with Shia LaBeouf taking up screen time away from OPTIMUS FUCKING PRIME.

But apparently they didn't learn, the same with the king kong remake. We want to see the big monster or token characters, we don't give a flying fuck about human storyline as a main focus of the movie, we come for a fun romp.

Its like going to a fairground and wanting to ride something, but standing in line for an hour with screaming kins in front and fat stinking unwashed people behind. By the time you get on the ride, your soul is already crushed to powder to get any enjoyment from it.

Sometimes, I think these kind of movies should have stayed in the era they came from, because at least then, they could become forever memorable.

Last edited by Tauren Paly; 05-17-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Old 05-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
fat stinking unwashed people behind.
I've made the experience that fat people, natural power-sweater, generally look after their smell a lot more than thin people and, as a consequence, stink less. Presumably they have discovered the magical secret of showering every day except only when one starts to stink.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:16 PM

I was disappointed that the dad died. That seemed like a huge waste. Honestly might have been a better film with a father/son combo than the constant flipping back and forth between the soldier and his family.

I would have liked to have seen more random acts of heroism. A lot of people died in the movie, but there was no sense that they were trying to survive. They'd get swept up in some big wave or get stepped on or fall a couple hundred feet. Felt like a competition for the Darwin Awards rather than people facing adversity and making the most of it.

I thought the military, at least in Hawaii, were a damn menace. They kept firing weapons at monsters that didn't give two shits about them. All they managed to do was add more projectiles and explosions in areas that were still teaming with people. There was absolutely no warning at all in Hawaii and the military just made things worse and worse.

Later on, I guess they fixed this? The Admiral alluded to people sacrificing themselves to lure Mrs. Muto around. I guess this could be a viable tactic if they created evac corridors in cities and towns? If you can't get everyone out of a general area, clear a path and try to force the monster down it?

But then the bridge happened. That was just awful. Not only did they obstruct half of the escape route to allow worthless tanks through, the navy ended up doing more damage than Godzilla did lol

Btw, is it normal for navy people to wear camo? I thought khakis were standard issue aboard navy ships? Did the film makers seriously dress navy characters up to look army?

I thought Godzilla and the Mutos had enough screen-time. Over-exposure especially earlier on in the film would have made the final bout less meaningful. There's only so much mileage you can get out of a monster in any given film before it becomes repetitive. How many minutes of Mr. Muto clawing at Godzilla's face can people really stand to enjoy watching? It was annoying to see them constantly flipping to a news broadcasts with brief clips of action, but ultimately I think it was for the greater good.

Mrs. Muto was the only monster in the film to actually try to kill people. Every other time in the film, humans were just in the way of the monsters. A mild nuisance that would either be ignored or swatted at half-heartedly. Clearly she hated humans with a rage for what one of them did to her nest. If she hadn't been put down, she probably would have made it her mission in life to kill as many people as she possibly could.

I thought it was funny that Godzilla actually dove to avoid a carrier. Guess there are some things even he would prefer not to bump into. Of course, why the hell were the navy ships less than a few hundred ft. away from him? More examples of the military being stupid.

I think the EMP ability was to down-play the militaries ability to participate in the action. This was either to save money on depicting the military trying to fight them or to spare the military the embarrassment of trying to fight them lol

Another thing, and this is of films in general, is that I don't like seeing F-22s being used in battles they have no business being. The Air Force has plenty of generation 4 fighters still in service. If there's some big monster or a bunch of robots or whatever wrecking American cities, spare the tax payers the expense and use the much cheaper and proven bombers and fighters from a decade or so ago.

The cheering at the end of the film, it might not have been bad? If Godzilla had been ko'd for a couple of days at least, word might of gotten around about what happened. And if you were living in San Fransico, you might have been more worried about Mrs. Muto who blazed a trail of destruction through the American Southwest than the monster that made a brief stop in Hawaii that otherwise did nothing but fight the monster that had probably taken many more lives and made much more of a media spectacle.

A few cheers from a stadium full of battered refugees makes sense from that perspective.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I've made the experience that fat people, natural power-sweater, generally look after their smell a lot more than thin people and, as a consequence, stink less. Presumably they have discovered the magical secret of showering every day except only when one starts to stink.
Ah true, well we shall here in forth refer to them as stinking teenagers just coming into B.O, or chain smoking grandmas
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
I honestly thought filmmakers would have learned from the hidious mistakes in transformers, with Shia LaBeouf taking up screen time away from OPTIMUS FUCKING PRIME.

But apparently they didn't learn, the same with the king kong remake. We want to see the big monster or token characters, we don't give a flying fuck about human storyline as a main focus of the movie, we come for a fun romp.

Its like going to a fairground and wanting to ride something, but standing in line for an hour with screaming kins in front and fat stinking unwashed people behind. By the time you get on the ride, your soul is already crushed to powder to get any enjoyment from it.

Sometimes, I think these kind of movies should have stayed in the era they came from, because at least then, they could become forever memorable.
When will you people learn that rendering a 3D spectacle is expensive and time consuming. We don't have the technology to be nothing but straight up godzilla/robot slugging CGI for 2 hours for a reasonable cost. Having less SFX-intensive scenes with humans is a necessary evil.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
When will you people learn that rendering a 3D spectacle is expensive and time consuming. We don't have the technology to be nothing but straight up godzilla/robot slugging CGI for 2 hours for a reasonable cost. Having less SFX-intensive scenes with humans is a necessary evil.
1.) Don't use so much CGI then. Practical effects will ALLWAYS look better when done right anyway.
2.) Don't make it a two hour movie then.
3.) Cost can't be too much of a problem as the MUTOs got plenty of screen time (unless they were easier to render, which could totally be the case considering their lacking design / details, but still. The ammount of screen time of Godzilla doesn't even come close to theirs.)

Besides: apparently Pacific Rim could do it, the Star Wars Prequels consist entirely out of CGI (and wooden actors), Peter Jackson hasn't used a real set in two decades and even the all-so-hated 1998 American Remake got the right amount of reptile on screen (maybe Zilla had a better agent, dunno).
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
=
Edit: SO. Spoilers.

Look, i totally get it, one wants to tease and build up to the big guy. That's fine. But at some point you gotta show off the monster in a meaningfull way. A sexy, spikey back and one roar is not what i pay for in a Godzilla movie. I generally like the portrayal of the Kaiju in this movie (especially how the Starshi Troopers Bug-Cloverfield hybrids at first don't seem all that evil, just animals cought up in human affairs) but Godzilla doesn't get enough. But that's not even the problem - it's that not only the MUTOs get a SHIT TON of screen time but every time (until the very end of the movie) some action is about to happen, the movie just cuts away and shows us the aftermath. That worked exactly once, several decades ago and only because no one knew that a single Borg Cube was going to rip 40 Starfleet ships a new one. We kinda do know what a Kaiju does to a city. We are not impressed. Especially not when you show us the first few seconds of a fight and then cut away. That is not clever. That is dumb. If you need to tease the monsters, fine, but don't COCKTEASE them. At some point, every time the film did that the entire theater sighed or stared cursing. I have no idea why they did that in this way (i presume the somewhat plain design of the MUTOs was easier to render than the very impressive looking Godzilla) but it was definitely worse than not showing anything at all.

I know I should have been a little more specific when I created this thread, but it was very late when I got home from seeing it and practically passed out after making this thread.

But Rotal here knocks it down entirely why I did not enjoy it. The bolded bit ESPECIALLY! It happened what, three times? Right when you think we are finally about to get some monster fighting acting (which is what I payed to see), you cut away back to the humans.

I get that you need a slight explanation for what the monsters are doing and for the scientists to explain it, but I dont need a reminder or new reason every 20 minutes so you can cut away from giant monsters destroying stuff. This is not the movie that anyone payed for to see it try to be an award winning movie that made sense. I wanted countless damage, and continuous monster destruction. I was not pleased.

Last edited by Ardeiute; 05-18-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-18-2014, 10:27 AM

World Builder

Runes

Yeah now that the 'just watched it' glow has subsided I'm feeling a little less satisfied.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Aside from the 1998 movie I can't think of many Godzilla flicks I've seen where Godzilla's had a lot of airtime. I haven't seen this one yet, but I never expected big green to get all that much time on camera. The stories have always been more about the human/aliens and not so much the big monsters.

Now that they've got this one through... how about we dust off good ol' Ghidora.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yeah now that the 'just watched it' glow has subsided I'm feeling a little less satisfied.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I really enjoyed it!

Some thoughts:

-In a suprising twist, my favorite part was a part that didnt even feature any giant monsters! (The Halo Drop sequence was so goddamn gorgeous)

-The soundtrack and score was kinda of off point though (imo), too much bombastic fanfare in the wrong places. Certainly wasn't enough to ruin it for me, and there were a few times where it was totally perfect (again, that HALO DROP SCENE.)

-I thought they had a nice balance of that Cloverfield type teasing to get you all hyped for the end when they just go balls out with the "LOOK AT THE MONSTERS FIGHTING LOOK AT IT LOOK AAAAAT IIIIIIT" thing. I can see how that might have been frustrating for some viewers, but it totes worked for me. Showing the fights on the TV the kid was watching, having the doors close just as he engages M.U.T.O, it was like the movie was just winking at you the whole time "just you wait dude, just you wait"

-Watching him cruising through the ocean with his entourage of military aircraft carriers was just A+

-More Bryan Cranston would have been awesome but any Bryan Cranston is great.

-I had no idea Ken Watanabe was in this movie! Very pleasant surprise.

-Atomic Breath Atomic Breath Atomic Breath

Last edited by Porimlys; 05-20-2014 at 04:23 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
Atomic Breath Atomic Breath Atomic Breath
Atomic Forced Hate-Deepthroating.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 AM

Elune

So I just found out my favorite part of the score was from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

*weeps*
Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

I thought it was great. The only weak point is the focus on the human subplot, but it's not terribly done, and ties in well with the mainframe of the film.

The movie oozes the flair of those old Japanese Godzilla movies, just with far better production value. They really pay homage to them, and it's an incredibly fun teasing buildup to a very satisfying final 30 minutes or so.

Weaknesses: US military propaganda in a Hollywood blockbuster once again. Yuck. Thankfully, not on Michael Bay levels this time.

Strengths: sweet kaju battles, I actually far preferred this to the Pacific Rim nonsense that felt utterly meaningless.

Bonus point: finally getting Ken Watanabe to utter that fateful name, "Gojira".

8/10 on the summer popcorn Richter scale for me
Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Strengths: sweet kaju battles, I actually far preferred this to the Pacific Rim nonsense that felt utterly meaningless.

I dont think we can be friends... like ever
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 AM

Elune

http://thedissolve.com/features/expo...n-blockbuster/

Read this review, it articulates pretty much everything I love about this movie really elegantly.

Quote:
"In Gareth Edwards Godzilla, point of view is everything. Here is a $160 million studio tentpole in which perspective stomps over plot, and characters are defined not by their actions, but by their insignificance. Here is a confidently paced monster movie that eschews the four action setpieces strung together with exposition and iced with a tease template of contemporary blockbuster cinema. Edwards devotes the films first hour to the deepening tragedy of a single family, and builds to an unspeakably spectacular climax thats less dependent on what were seeing than on how were seeing it.

During the first hour of the film, all the plot (and all the action) is experienced from a human POV. Aside from the opening scene in the Philippines, viewers are privy only to what Joe and Ford Brody (Bryan Cranston and Aaron-Taylor Johnson) suspect, discover, and experience for themselves. Mythology, distant incidents, and even their own images are presented, respectively, through archival footage, news reports, and surveillance feeds. As the film progresses, however, the perspective through which this story unfolds undergoes a slow tectonic shift toward the omniscient."
Quote:
"In fact, one major sequence even begins with Brody fiddling with an action figure that resembles himself, and a little boys interest in the toy lands him squarely in the middle of a MUTO attack that the military is powerless to stop. Its a cute story beat, but also one that bluntly reinforces our insignificance in the face of the films crisisultimately, the only thing the humans do well in Godzilla is provide scale for the monsters. The people only there for us to see how insignificant they are.

Judging from reviews and social media, many viewers feel betrayed by the films dwindling interest in the family that dominates its first half, as the Brody clans multi-generational tragedy is a distant memory by the time we get to the climactic kaiju battle. The eponymous radioactive monster, who has all the emotional complexity of a natural disaster, easily emerges as the most nuanced character in the film, and alsodespite his prolonged absences from the pictureits one true lead.

This is the rare live-action summer blockbuster in which, by design, not a single one of the human characters in the movie has anything resembling a complete emotional arc. And while its difficult to argue that Brody wouldnt have benefited from some memorable dialogue and a more charismatic performance, the lack of a compelling homosapien protagonist helps clarify the films true trajectory. This is a story about exposing the myopia of the human perspective and then humiliating our inherently egocentric POV. Were just another part of the equation Godzilla has come back to balance, an urgent reorientation that Edwards turns into a story by gradually disempowering his human characters, conflating us with the bad guys until Godzilla can emerge as an aspirational figure."

I keep coming back to this sequence. That SHOT

Last edited by Porimlys; 05-22-2014 at 01:59 AM..
Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I find myself in a situation where i can either
A) Tell my three friends i'm going to see Godzilla again tomorrow that the movie is shit (the more i think about the fakeouts and cutaways the less i like it...), thus spoiling the movie for them just because i don't like it (admittedly i DO believe none of them would like it, for the same reasons i don't) which would be kind of a dick move...
or
B) Suck it up, pack a pen and something to write on in order to not bore myself to tears (got tons of little things i need to list and sort anyway for my Space Engineers Project), letting them make their own opinion. Problem with that one is: knowing them i can almost guarantee that two will find it "boring but nothing especially nastily bad" and the third will hate it. If i say nothing i would knowingly let them waste their money on a movie i know they won't get any enjoyment out of... which wouldn't be as selfish as A, but still a dick move. Money's not growing on plants. Unless you're a crimelord.

What to do, what to do...

Tags
entertainment, japan