Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 PM

Demon Hunter

From the NYTimes article MSNBC linked to:
Quote:
Just up the street [from the food truck], 75 people filled a living room, anxiously exchanging stories about what many described as a neighborhood under siege, and demanding help from local officials.

You guys have had your fill here we know that, Officer Dave Cordova of the Los Angeles Police Department told them. And the food coalition doesnt help. Where do all these guys go after they get something to eat?

Peter Nichols, the founder of the Melrose Action Neighborhood Watch, which helped organize the meeting, said there has been a steady increase in complaints about petty crime, loitering, public defecation and people sleeping on sidewalks.

While it sounds good in concept Im going to pull up to a curb, Im going to feed people, Im going to clean up and Im going to leave well, there are not restrooms, he said. Can these people get a place to sleep? To clean up? We want there to be after-care provided every day they do the program. But they dont and they cant.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Today I drove behind someone with an InfoWars bumper sticker and another claiming that 9/11 was an inside job. I had no idea those people actually existed.

Slightly related. Alex Jones might be the greatest troll of all time. If not hes just fucking stupid.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
Today I drove behind someone with an InfoWars bumper sticker and another claiming that 9/11 was an inside job. I had no idea those people actually existed.
Slightly related. Alex Jones might be the greatest troll of all time. If not hes just fucking stupid.
My teacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
My teacher.
Well teachers can be crazy.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWunclerIII View Post
What the fuck. Maybe it's an LA problem, since I've never even seen it happen in New York. We give them money to buy food with here.
I keep forgetting you're in New York. We should grab a bear sometime. An actual bear. And name him Vlaclaw or something.

Anyway. I've seen something like this a few times, usually in the outer boroughs but I once saw something like it outside a housing project on the LWS if my memory serves.

I don't have a problem with this law. It's not like they're preventing people from feeding the homeless, but you can't just have a free-for-all serving food to drunk and mentally disturbed people in residential neighborhoods and not expect consequences. If you want to feed the homeless, open up a soup kitchen, indoors, but don't organize any kind of large-scale gathering outdoors without a proper means to corral the people who show up for it, especially not in a residential neighborhood.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Elune

Judge says Detroit eligible for bankruptcy, clearing way for city to fix billions in debt

I am curious how this story is going to turn out. I hope it can serve as an example for all the other corrupt cities in the Midwest like Chicago.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Judge says Detroit eligible for bankruptcy, clearing way for city to fix billions in debt

I am curious how this story is going to turn out. I hope it can serve as an example for all the other corrupt cities in the Midwest like Chicago.
It's just a city going bankrupt due to having almost no middle or upper class. The same exact thing occurred to Cleveland 20 years ago and not a thing changed.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:06 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:

I would imagine this would screw their bond rating, making it much more expensive to borrow in the future. Which will make it even more difficult for the city to recover, as they will NEVER stop spending like morons.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Can we please just pave over the city and built a midwestern Disneyland for Chinese and Brazilian tourists?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Can we please just pave over the city and built a midwestern Disneyland for Chinese and Brazilian tourists?
Don't forget the Indians. The elite are so filthy rich that they make shirts out of gold.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ss-ladies.html
Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
They're already bulldozing whole neighborhoods and letting them return to woodland in some places...

But the Disneyland idea sounds like a winner to me...
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
They're already bulldozing whole neighborhoods and letting them return to woodland in some places...

But the Disneyland idea sounds like a winner to me...
It's too late. The hipsters are already swooping in on the ridiculously low property values and setting up theater co-ops and organic community gardens. Capitalism at work guys!
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
It's too late. The hipsters are already swooping in on the ridiculously low property values and setting up theater co-ops and organic community gardens. Capitalism at work guys!
Good luck with that, I guess. Given the fact that Detroit can't afford a decent police force, or even the electricity to leave most of the street lights on, I'd be a little worried about the crime... it's not like the hipsters are allowed to carry guns in the city.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Good luck with that, I guess. Given the fact that Detroit can't afford a decent police force, or even the electricity to leave most of the street lights on, I'd be a little worried about the crime... it's not like the hipsters are allowed to carry guns in the city.
They are already having good luck apparently. No one's going to mug someone when they know their most valuable possessions are heirloom turnips and obscure nu-metal albums on vinyl.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
They are already having good luck apparently. No one's going to mug someone when they know their most valuable possessions are heirloom turnips and obscure nu-metal albums on vinyl.
I presume they accept normal American currency as payment?

Or are they credit/debit only? Maybe they've gone full hipster and have reverted to a barter/trade system.

Hell, I could see one of them getting mugged for their iPad...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AJF#1946

Quote:
I keep forgetting you're in New York. We should grab a bear sometime. An actual bear. And name him Vlaclaw or something.

Anyway. I've seen something like this a few times, usually in the outer boroughs but I once saw something like it outside a housing project on the LWS if my memory serves.

I don't have a problem with this law. It's not like they're preventing people from feeding the homeless, but you can't just have a free-for-all serving food to drunk and mentally disturbed people in residential neighborhoods and not expect consequences. If you want to feed the homeless, open up a soup kitchen, indoors, but don't organize any kind of large-scale gathering outdoors without a proper means to corral the people who show up for it, especially not in a residential neighborhood.
The bear will be named Pawtr.

I agree, but I was more referring to the fact that I've never seen it here. The times I've seen homeless people I've seen money being given, though maybe some were asking for food, I can't honestly remember.

I don't disagree on the soup kitchen part, though.

Last edited by EdWunclerIII; 12-03-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Banished

If someone brutally murdered one of your family, your loved one and was able to walk free through the justice system's mistake, what are you going to do?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Use my media contacts to drag his name through the mud, or, barring that, use my few mafia contacts and order a hit.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Is this a trick question?

I own about 42 different firearms. The better question is which would I use, and do I have enough ammo to reduce the target to an unrecognizable, bloody pulp?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
If someone brutally murdered one of your family, your loved one and was able to walk free through the justice system's mistake, what are you going to do?
Nothing. Legal means would likely only lead to more embitterment, and I don't do self-justice.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:33 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I probably wouldn't hunt down and kill someone, if that's what you're asking.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Nothing. Legal means would likely only lead to more embitterment, and I don't do self-justice.
I will surely take the revenge.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
I will surely take the revenge.
Then you go to prison.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Then you go to prison.
I don't care if I can avenge my loved one.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
I don't care if I can avenge my loved one.
I think you will when you face a 20 year sentence.

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president