Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16726  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Kellick Kellick is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,052
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You can't research freedom Kellick!
Evidently, people do.

But I think people are overstating the lead New Zealand has over the United States for comedic value. If memory serves, the actual difference between the two, when you look at personal and economic freedom, as well as freedom of the press, is something like half a point out of ten.

The US is still in the top, it's just that the top is really crowded.
Reply With Quote
  #16727  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:07 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
By your argument I could throw the entire of humanity scientific achievements in the dumpster. Because nobody cares about what other people say.
Science has a method. You have to be able to create an experiment that has consistent results. If we can arbitrarily decide what conditions are worth more than others we can dictate the result ourselves instead of relying on a natural phenomenon. This isn't based on something tangible or physical. It is entirely abstract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I'm honestly baffled that some Americans would be so oversensitive as to be offended that they don't get number one on some study.
I am not offended! I am just debating stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #16728  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:07 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Evidently, people do.

But I think people are overstating the lead New Zealand has over the United States for comedic value. If memory serves, the actual difference between the two, when you look at personal and economic freedom, as well as freedom of the press, is something like half a point out of ten.

The US is still in the top, it's just that the top is really crowded.
Exactly. It's not worth getting upset over. Besides, the rankings get reshuffled pretty frequently.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 12-13-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16729  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Chef Chef is offline

Arch-Druid
Chef's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Your kitchen
Posts: 1,848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
That's arguable. It's one of the reasons why I like the EU it makes its nations more relevant.

Of course there's a lot of reason why Portugal is relevant in today, but you probably do not care about any of that.
You know very well that the only relevant countries in the EU are Germany, France and Britain. They call the shots. The fact that Josť Manuel Barroso is the President of the European Commission does not make Portugal any more relevant in the world stage than Cyprus is by being a member of the EU.

Face it. Even Spain and Italy have more international prestige than Portugal.
Reply With Quote
  #16730  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

What a strange argument about such an arbitrary thing. Measuring levels of 'freedom' is just silly.
Reply With Quote
  #16731  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:13 PM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,788

Default

I was going to bring up 'as american as apple pie', but I can't seem to actually find international apple pie-making competitions.
__________________
This is not a signature.
Reply With Quote
  #16732  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:16 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
What a strange argument about such an arbitrary thing. Measuring levels of 'freedom' is just silly.
This is another good point (though PajamaSalad already brought it up). I'm not sure if there's any way to consistently and accurately measure something intangible like freedom or tyranny.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #16733  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Kellick Kellick is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,052
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
Exactly.
Mind you, I'd understand (even expect) this kind of heated debate if this were happening in the Patriot thread.

I myself might try to toss some oil on the fire with something like "Canadians are more freer than Unitedstatesians!".

I just think it's a little over the top for this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #16734  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default


Last edited by Leviathon; 12-13-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16735  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:31 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
''And who are you actually talking to?'' I died.
Reply With Quote
  #16736  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

8 Photos You Didn't See From Barack Obama's Trip to South Africa.

George Bush taking a selfie with Bono.

Photos don't always indicate what exactly is going on and what people are thinking and saying.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 12-13-2013 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16737  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Yea I saw those images the other day. It just shows how much the politicians don't hate 'x person' or 'x party' and more just say what they need to say to get into office.
Reply With Quote
  #16738  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Science has a method. You have to be able to create an experiment that has consistent results. If we can arbitrarily decide what conditions are worth more than others we can dictate the result ourselves instead of relying on a natural phenomenon. This isn't based on something tangible or physical. It is entirely abstract.
Why do you assume that's not what they did? Social sciences are definitely harder prove than physical sciences. That' no reason to say they aren't worth shit.

Quote:
I am not offended! I am just debating stuff.
You definitely sound offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Evidently, people do.

But I think people are overstating the lead New Zealand has over the United States for comedic value. If memory serves, the actual difference between the two, when you look at personal and economic freedom, as well as freedom of the press, is something like half a point out of ten.

The US is still in the top, it's just that the top is really crowded.
Like I said the numbers between 2 and 23 are all between 8 and 8.5. Still New Zealand as a very clear advantage over the 2 ranked country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
You know very well that the only relevant countries in the EU are Germany, France and Britain. They call the shots. The fact that Josť Manuel Barroso is the President of the European Commission does not make Portugal any more relevant in the world stage than Cyprus is by being a member of the EU.

Face it. Even Spain and Italy have more international prestige than Portugal.
I didn't say that were more important countries or had more international prestige. I know that Portugal is in the corner of europe. Bolvar was saying relevance and I can easily contest that.

EU expands relevance because it's a body that can grow into something more.
__________________

Last edited by Ashendant; 12-13-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16739  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

School shooting: Shooter still believed to be inside Colorado school, sheriff says

Quote:
Authorities believe at least two people have been injured in a shooting Friday at Arapahoe High School in Centennial, Colorado, Sheriff Grayson Robinson told CNN affiliate KMGH.

The shooter is still believed to be inside the school, Robinson said.

Emergency personnel are advising parents to go to King Soopers, a grocery store in the vicinity of the school, to pick up their children, CNN affiliate KDVR reported.

The high school, with a student population of 2,229 students, has 70 classrooms. The school, which was built in 1964, is part of the Littleton Public Schools system.

All schools in the system have been put on lock down, authorities said.
Reply With Quote
  #16740  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

You should put that in the US school shooting thread.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16741  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:52 PM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,788

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Like I said the numbers between 2 and 23 are all between 8 and 8.5. Still New Zealand as a very clear advantage over the 2 ranked country.
Sure, rub it in.


Just one little spark and we all take our rightful place.
__________________
This is not a signature.
Reply With Quote
  #16742  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Sure, rub it in.


Just one little spark and we all take our rightful place.
It would take a lot more than little spark. New Zealand is that country where you can make a public image of muhammad and nobody gives a shit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16743  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
You should put that in the US school shooting thread.
You're sure boss lately.
Reply With Quote
  #16744  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:02 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
You should put that in the US school shooting thread.
You know what's also really sad? The Sandy Hook shooting happened on 14th December last year. This nutjob tried to repeat it.
Reply With Quote
  #16745  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:22 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Do schools have active shooter drills like they do fire or tornado?
Reply With Quote
  #16746  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Do schools have active shooter drills like they do fire or tornado?
My High School had practice lockdowns, but nobody really likes to say 'shooter drill.'
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #16747  
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
My High School had practice lockdowns, but nobody really likes to say 'shooter drill.'
My school usually used it as an opportunity to send drug dogs throughout the building. Think they found something a handful of times since it wasn't like the school system had students from bad cities.
Reply With Quote
  #16748  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Bryn Bryn is offline

Arch-Druid
Bryn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,180

Default

My high school told us that we could be legally shot by police if we were caught outside our classrooms during a real lockdown. Never did find out if that was true, or if they were just being dicks. I also had a teacher who used to tell us that we should be afraid because terrorists were planning to target schools in our state, and that we should skip Halloween because of the risk of anthrax in candy, so...

Edit: A girl in my class was suspended because she forgot to take home the knife she'd used for a food sharing event, and they found it in her locker during one of these searches. We also almost needed to extend the school year once because we'd missed so much class due to a guy who kept making anonymous bomb threats. Oh the joys of student life in post-Columbine and post-9/11 America.

Last edited by Bryn; 12-13-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16749  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Banished
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,027

Default

My high school only prepared for earthquake at that time.

Other than that, we were only told to be aware of school gangs.
Reply With Quote
  #16750  
Old 12-13-2013, 03:41 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
My High School had practice lockdowns, but nobody really likes to say 'shooter drill.'
My high school used to have these notices posted on walls that gave directions for different kinds of incidents, including lockdowns. However, we never actually practiced a lockdown drill, at least as far as I can remember.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.