Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16801  
Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,115

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
Depends, have we got anyone here from the Deep (Redneck Deep) South?
We've got them, but they will probably frown upon the implication of your post.
Reply With Quote
  #16802  
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Hammerbrew Hammerbrew is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,773

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
We've got them, but they will probably frown upon the implication of your post.


No but seriously, that's a stereotype that they've done nothing to dispel.

I'm not saying Texas here (before Bolvar or BaronG comes for me) - they're more Good Ol' Boys, the good kind of Southern stereotype. I was thinking more Alabama.
Reply With Quote
  #16803  
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,949

Default

Good thing I'm not an Inca, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #16804  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Sheriffs Refuse to Enforce Laws on Gun Control

Some sheriffs, like Sheriff Cooke, are refusing to enforce the laws, saying that they are too vague and violate Second Amendment rights. Many more say that enforcement will be a very low priority, as several sheriffs put it. All but seven of the 62 elected sheriffs in Colorado signed on in May to a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the statutes.

I thought this was interesting. Who watches the watchmen?
Reply With Quote
  #16805  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Chef Chef is offline

Arch-Druid
Chef's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Your kitchen
Posts: 1,848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I thought this was interesting. Who watches the watchmen?
He does

Reply With Quote
  #16806  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,949

Default

A sheriff doesn't need to be a police officer to be elected as sheriff, right? I never quite understood why a country would have officers like that. Of course, I'm probably wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #16807  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Eterna Eterna is offline

Arch-Druid
Eterna's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,295

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Sheriffs Refuse to Enforce Laws on Gun Control

Some sheriffs, like Sheriff Cooke, are refusing to enforce the laws, saying that they are too vague and violate Second Amendment rights. Many more say that enforcement will be a very low priority, as several sheriffs put it. All but seven of the 62 elected sheriffs in Colorado signed on in May to a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the statutes.

I thought this was interesting. Who watches the watchmen?
Nobody. But if he refuses to do his job he'll eventually be fired.
Reply With Quote
  #16808  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Good thing I'm not an Inca, isn't it?
I see what you did there.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #16809  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,949

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I see what you did there.
I'm glad someone did.

I was expecting more people to do so, to be honest. Everyone seems so fond of ancient history.
Reply With Quote
  #16810  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:34 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

The vast majority of the sheriffs in Colorado are challenging the new gun control measures though. They won't fire all of them. There was a recall election in Colorado recently in regards to politicians that wanted to pass gun control.
Reply With Quote
  #16811  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Eterna Eterna is offline

Arch-Druid
Eterna's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,295

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
The vast majority of the sheriffs in Colorado are challenging the new gun control measures though. They won't fire all of them. There was a recall election in Colorado recently in regards to politicians that wanted to pass gun control.
They can challenge it all they want, if they aren't doing their jobs then they will inevitably will and should be replaced. There are plenty of aspiring people who could easily take their position.

Police Officers, even Sheriffs, are not allowed to do what they're doing, even if they don't like the law they must reinforce it. They literally have no right to refuse carrying out the law.

Last edited by Eterna; 12-16-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16812  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

This reminds me of Roy Olmstead. He was a policeman who went bootlegger during Prohibition. Unlike other bootleggers, however, he never diluted his alcohol with other (potentially dangerous) chemicals and refused to deal with racketeering, prostitution, or narcotics.

The other police pretty much left him alone even after he was made to leave the force. After all, he provided alcohol with most people (cops included) enjoyed. Olmstead told his men to make their deliveries unarmed. This was because he could pretty much sic the cops on anyone who tried to rob his alcohol shipments.

Olmstead finally got caught, but didn't spend much time in jail since, really, he was a pretty good guy.

EDIT:Nowadays, I think the cops in Humboldt County leave marijuana alone simply because it's such an important part of the local economy.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #16813  
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,908

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
They can challenge it all they want, if they aren't doing their jobs then they will inevitably will and should be replaced. There are plenty of aspiring people who could easily take their position.

Police Officers, even Sheriffs, are not allowed to do what they're doing, even if they don't like the law they must reinforce it. They literally have no right to refuse carrying out the law.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about right now.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #16814  
Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
This reminds me of Roy Olmstead. He was a policeman who went bootlegger during Prohibition. Unlike other bootleggers, however, he never diluted his alcohol with other (potentially dangerous) chemicals and refused to deal with racketeering, prostitution, or narcotics.

The other police pretty much left him alone even after he was made to leave the force. After all, he provided alcohol with most people (cops included) enjoyed. Olmstead told his men to make their deliveries unarmed. This was because he could pretty much sic the cops on anyone who tried to rob his alcohol shipments.

Olmstead finally got caught, but didn't spend much time in jail since, really, he was a pretty good guy.
I honestly never met a cop that upset me. They have always been comforting and made me feel safer. I sometimes wonder if cops in different areas are just completely different when I see people not like them.
Reply With Quote
  #16815  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Ganishka Ganishka is offline

Elune
Ganishka's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 8,297
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I bet you're all extremely shy in real life, and if we were to fill a room with SoL members you could hear a needle fall.

(JK. You could hear Omacron romancing PJ.)
I'm actually probably the most socially awkward person on this site. I have the social skills of a child, I get nervous around groups and I talk to myself.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #16816  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Fojar Fojar is offline

Elune
Fojar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Lordaeron
Posts: 17,442

Default

itt conservatives argue that police officers should be allowed to pick and choose which laws to enforce.
__________________
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Reply With Quote
  #16817  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
itt conservatives argue that police officers should be allowed to pick and choose which laws to enforce.
You love us!
Reply With Quote
  #16818  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Fojar Fojar is offline

Elune
Fojar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Lordaeron
Posts: 17,442

Default

So you conservatives agree that cops who think that the War on Drugs is stupid shouldn't have to arrest people for possessing and using illegal drugs right?
__________________
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Reply With Quote
  #16819  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
So you conservatives agree that cops who think that the War on Drugs is stupid shouldn't have to arrest people for possessing and using illegal drugs right?
It isn't that much different than people refusing to enforce immigration laws. If other people are going to do shady things then why not?

I don't know the police officer oath but I bet they swear to defend and uphold the constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. Aren't they following that oath?
Reply With Quote
  #16820  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Fojar Fojar is offline

Elune
Fojar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Lordaeron
Posts: 17,442

Default

Except it isn't their job to interpret the laws and the constitution. That's the job of the courts.
__________________
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Reply With Quote
  #16821  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:38 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

But what if the courts are wrong?

This isn't the only case where people didn't enforce a law. DOMA and the immigration laws are another. People believe their own personal sense of righteousness is above the law.
Reply With Quote
  #16822  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
But what if the courts are wrong?
What if the Constitution's wrong?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #16823  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
What if the Constitution's wrong?
We should all become a bunch of savages and just fight each other. Screw your laws, your values, and everything you stand for!
Reply With Quote
  #16824  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
We should all become a bunch of savages and just fight each other. Screw your laws, your values, and everything you stand for!
Or we could go the other way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #16825  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Or we could go the other way.
I think the constitution is a good thing. It sets up a process to even modify and change it. It isn't magical and it is only as powerful as society lets it be. The 2/3rds majority prevents politicians from just stringing together a coalition of 51% of the population and ruling the other 49% with an iron fist.

It isn't just conservatives that ignore the law when it suits them as I have giving other examples. Conservatives just happen to be police officers. Our polarization leads to this instability. If people ignore things like laws and processes when it doesn't suit them it doesn't matter if they can Google a list of reasons as to why they are better than everyone else. It causes strife.

What is the other way Anansi?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.