Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 04:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eillas View Post
There is
And? What was it?
Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 AM

Eternal

I don't remember anything being said about Medivh being Garona's daddy either, but if she is then that would really be the only logical conclusion. I don't remember anyone firmly stating what the other half of Garona is other than Lothar saying "she looks like us". There is a scene with Draenei in it as we are being introduced to Garona so it's not even necessary for her to be half-human. She says that her name in Orcish means "cursed". She isn't under any spell by Gul'dan. Presumably they are keeping her to either drain her for fel magic or translate for them, as she explains she learned the human language from the captives.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:36 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I don't remember anything being said about Medivh being Garona's daddy either
It isn't said directly, but Medivh mentioned that he had intercourse with a female from another world. That the female was an orc and Garona is his child is a possible interpretation of this.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 AM

Eternal

He didn't say "from another world" though. Unless this is from the novelization? Doesn't make sense :c
Old 06-09-2016, 07:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Or maybe elves are just naturally gross and awful and the worst.
This.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
So? Is there?

I don't think there was but still.
The finale/spoiler scene was before the credits. Thrall and Blackmoore.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM

Elune

Movie wasn't nearly as bad as the critics pan it to be.

Objectively? I give it a 6/10. Entertaining and visually appealing. There was only one scene where I felt the CGI was a bit wonky. The part where the black dude gets his neck snapped. Movie definitely has rewatch value. I think the human footman armor was really bad, though. Really, really bad. Way too much plastic. FFS, Weta Workshop did LotR! I can only conclude that the plastic armor is a result of not enough money. Soldiers of Gondor and Rohan look awesome. Stormwind footmen look like cosplayers. Llane's wardrobe was very good, though.

As a fan of Warcraft? 7/10. Unlike some, I'm not losing my shit over every little change. I accept that the movie is its own thing. I can enjoy it for what it is. It's a decent (not excellent by any stretch, but decent enough) tribute to the Warcraft universe.

Anyways, I think the human portion of the movie was the weaker side. That being said, I think Medivh gave one of the strongest performances in the entire movie. Really solid acting from Ben Foster. I didn't like Lothar, though. Too much Ragnar Lothbrok (as I had feared) and not enough of the classic Lothar that makes the character who he is. Despite my personal misgivings, however, I think Fimmel did a good job.

Llane and Taria were both perfectly average, nothing to write home about. Maybe it's because the characters themselves were just bland, but they don't really stand out. Khadgar's personality matched that of his game counterpart. While I do dislike WoD's quip-spouting, one-liner dropping Khadgar, I can see how the movie version could grow up into the game version. Of all the human characters, I think Khadgar stood out the most.

Orc side totally killed it. Great performance on their ends. Gul'dan was top tier. Such a great villain. Durotan and Draka were both truly excellent, as well. I was sad to see their deaths. Gul'dan, Durotan, and Draka, really carry the orc side. Blackhand and Orgrim kind of fall by the wayside, as I'll explain below.

Blackhand was pretty badass, but the character overall was bland. Kind of like Llane and Taria. Blackhand is there, he does a few things, but he's nothing more than a big chunk of angry, talking meat. Clancy Brown did a good job, though. I don't understand why he looked so different from his game counterpart. Ultimately, I think they just didn't want Blackhand to be anything more than a big brute. A bit of a shame, considering Blackhand is a lot smarter than we give him credit for.

Orgrim... a bit disappointed with this one. Not to say Rob Kazinsky did a bad job. No, not at all. I think all the orc actors did great jobs, Rob included. Much like Blackhand, though... the character is just kind of... there. I got the vibe that Orgrim was a pretty important character in this movie. Or that he was a main character, at least. Maybe it's due to the cut footage, but Orgrim feels like a side character. I don't think Orgrim was really given a chance to shine. If there's a sequel, I hope they don't neglect him as much. (Also, his betrayal seemed... unusual. I don't think that was handled very well.)

Garona was okay. I didn't really like how she's just a green human with tiny plastic teeth sticking out of her mouth. I think the character should have been CGI.

The movie definitely suffers from the decision to cut 40 minutes of footage.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
It isn't said directly, but Medivh mentioned that he had intercourse with a female from another world. That the female was an orc and Garona is his child is a possible interpretation of this.
IIRC he only talked about how he traveled far and wide to find love, no world hopping mentioned, pretty sure. He did show kindness to Garona and give her that flower looking teleportation spell just before going "mwahahah" evil, effectively saving her. Though I took that as a nod to the love they supposedly had in the main universe.

On the other hand, Garona's mother was burned at the stake. He couldn't have cared for her that much if he let that slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veryyawn View Post
The finale/spoiler scene was before the credits. Thrall and Blackmoore.
Well that doesn't count as a hidden scene imo.

PS. Anyone else think the actor who played Liane looked crosseyed at times?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Eternal

Interesting that in the Movieverse Garona's mother was supposedly an orc and her father a draenei, while in canon it's the other way around.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:20 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Interesting that in the Movieverse Garona's mother was supposedly an orc and her father a draenei, while in canon it's the other way around.
Well, her in-game origin was pretty much rape... maybe they're trying to soften that up a bit.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Elune

@Frost, heh funny. I've actually felt the opposite about the footmen, I thought they were great and really had that WC3 look which I loved as opposed to the bland in-game look.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
And? What was it?
Thrall scene where he is found by likely Tammis Foxton
Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Yeah, if I'm recalling their looks correctly, the footmen looked just like you'd expect them to look. Just a bit too shiny to have ever seen combat, maybe.

Llane's armour though? That looked silly.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Well, her in-game origin was pretty much rape... maybe they're trying to soften that up a bit.
you think a orc female cannot rape a draenei male? that's sexism
Old 06-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Elune

Yeah, Garona in the film is definitely half-Draenei. They wouldn't have included the scene of her talking their language and Gul'dan asking what she said otherwise.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 PM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
@Frost, heh funny. I've actually felt the opposite about the footmen, I thought they were great and really had that WC3 look which I loved as opposed to the bland in-game look.
The breastplates could cover a bit more of the abdomen instead of having the big belt but otherwise they were cool.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Yeah, if I'm recalling their looks correctly, the footmen looked just like you'd expect them to look. Just a bit too shiny to have ever seen combat, maybe.

Not sillier than some of the armor we had in WoW. Soo, his armor is fine.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Elune

I don't think people are understanding me. The armor looks bad because it's quite obviously plastic. It'd be fine if it looked like it were made of metal, but it doesn't. That's why the footman armor looks bad. Nothing wrong with the design, but the material of the costumes.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Not sillier than some of the armor we had in WoW. Soo, his armor is fine.
True. I almost didn't post that sentence because, in comparison, his armour is tame.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Yep. His helmet was silly as fuck to me. His armor was also very flashy but he is a king and they had some flashy armor even in reality so it can slide.

And sure WoW had some silly pieces of gear but it doesn't excuse them or the movie helmet.

It's a small thing though, I don't want it to seem as if I am blowing this out of proportion. All in all the movie is watchable, I wish I gave it a higher grade in the rating thread, 5/10 or maybe 6/10.

@Frost, it wasn't that obviously plastic. Like Nazja I'd probably sooner characterize it as too clean and shiny. Though that is arguably an Alliance theme/aesthetic.

Last edited by C9H20; 06-09-2016 at 05:40 PM..
Old 06-09-2016, 06:18 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Ever heard of a guy called Vehk?
"Guy."

Thirty minutes to the premiere here, feeling a little bit like this right now.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:07 PM

Druid of the Talon

Okay, let's take a second and really read this dialogue that people keep pointing to as being some Medivh fucked an orc and is Garona's daddy shit.

When I was younger, I used to feel apart from my kin. I traveled far and wide, looking for... wisdom. To feel a connection with all the souls I was charged with protecting. In my travels I met a strong and noble people. Among them, a female who accepted me for who I was. Who loved me. It was not a life I was fated to have, but it taught me something: If love is what you need, you must be willing to travel to the ends of the world to find it.

I dunno, sounds like Sargeras talking about Azshara to me lol

Last edited by Marston; 06-09-2016 at 09:09 PM..
Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Elune

That movie was far, far better than I was expecting. Happy to have some of my cynicism proven wrong. Good job, Duncan Jones.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:33 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Commited the highest crime. Watching a camrip cuz fuck waiting 'till June 30th (distributors are retarded in Latin America). Only halfway through it so far, but can't believe Blizzard cuts so much content, even from movies (well, it's probably Legendary execs, but whatever). This is clearly a butchered flick. It is quite good in many many ways, but the pacing is really terrible and I desperatly need a Director's Cut.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falarson View Post
Commited the highest crime. Watching a camrip cuz fuck waiting 'till June 30th (distributors are retarded in Latin America). Only halfway through it so far, but can't believe Blizzard cuts so much content, even from movies (well, it's probably Legendary execs, but whatever). This is clearly a butchered flick. It is quite good in many many ways, but the pacing is really terrible and I desperatly need a Director's Cut.
First half has the lion's share of the editing problems. It settles down in the second half.

Tags
entertainment, warcraft