Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #52126  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
look, no disrespect, but ingenuity on a job site is very often dangerous. Clever solutions are also cost saving measures more than "can it be done", and robot labour is cheaper than people.
Some jobs require you to come up with original solutions.
Reply With Quote
  #52127  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:29 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I don't think robots will ever be able to replace certain jobs. Things that require ingenuity, negotiation or people skills will still be in demand. We will just move away from crude and scripted labor.

I think society just needs to do a better job at training people for jobs robots can't do so we can all enjoy the productivity robots grant.
To believe things like that you need to also believe in something magical like a soul otherwise there is nothing stopping the development of a thinking machine, in the not too distant future (10-40 years from now).

It will negotiate and be better with people than you because it will have far greater intellect than you and the experience of dozens of top psychologists. It will be so much better it is impossible to grasp how inferior a normal human will be compared to them. If humans are not magical and we probably are not than eventually AI will overtake us, it is a simple matter of more processing power doing the same job.

And if we are smart and just let go of our hangups it will be great for everyone. The machines will do all of the work and do it far better and we will roll around in abundance. You personally seem to have issues that those people will be sort of "cheating you." Since you apparently put in a lot of effort to get where you are and they will get more for doing nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #52128  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:41 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
To believe things like that you need to also believe in something magical like a soul otherwise there is nothing stopping the development of a thinking machine, in the not too distant future (10-40 years from now).

It will negotiate and be better with people than you because it will have far greater intellect than you and the experience of dozens of top psychologists. It will be so much better it is impossible to grasp how inferior a normal human will be compared to them. If humans are not magical and we probably are not than eventually AI will overtake us, it is a simple matter of more processing power doing the same job.

And if we are smart and just let go of our hangups it will be great for everyone. The machines will do all of the work and do it far better and we will roll around in abundance. You personally seem to have issues that those people will be sort of "cheating you." Since you apparently put in a lot of effort to get where you are and they will get more for doing nothing.
I think a lot of people have a SciFi Hollywood view of robots.

It won't have greater intellect because that isn't something you can measure. It will still need the people to design, program, and maintain them. There are limitations to what we can make them do.
Reply With Quote
  #52129  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Some jobs require you to come up with original solutions.
Not really.

Original implementation of existing solutions?

Sure. not even close to the majority of the work force. Implementation of those solutions are what makes the thousand dollar a day guys different than the $100 dollar a day...

There arent that many jobs.

Quote:
It will still need the people to design, program, and maintain them. There are limitations to what we can make them do.
Except we already have softwire writing software
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #52130  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:50 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Delayed firing of a porn-watching VA staffer could speed up new accountability legislation

Watching porn seems to be a favorite thing of unionized government workers. How much would it cost to run government if they didn't have this ridiculous level of job security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Not really.

Original implementation of existing solutions?

Sure. not even close to the majority of the work force. Implementation of those solutions are what makes the thousand dollar a day guys different than the $100 dollar a day...

There arent that many jobs.
There are a few.
Quote:
Except we already have softwire writing software
Technically any programming language is 'software writing software' because it isn't machine language. They have existed for awhile.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 04-03-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #52131  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
I don't think robots will ever be able to replace certain jobs. Things that require ingenuity, negotiation or people skills will still be in demand. We will just move away from crude and scripted labor.

I think society just needs to do a better job at training people for jobs robots can't do so we can all enjoy the productivity robots grant.
We already have AI capable of writing articles, and most day trading and short term stock trading is handled by AI as well. We're only a few decades away from AI being able to make deals. AI is designing its own structural enhancements for engineering. We're only a few decades from all but the most important brain-work being able to be done by computers, and there won't be enough of those jobs to go around.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52132  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
We already have AI capable of writing articles, and most day trading and short term stock trading is handled by AI as well. We're only a few decades away from AI being able to make deals. AI is designing its own structural enhancements for engineering. We're only a few decades from all but the most important brain-work being able to be done by computers, and there won't be enough of those jobs to go around.
Is it AI or just complex programming?

Engineering is automated by software that does the math for you and CAD software that lets you design 3D objects. We still need engineers though and we will teach them how to do math. I feel like some processes will be automated like it always has been but machines won't be able to do certain things.

Are Engineers Designing Their Robotic Replacements?

Will Automation Kill or Create Jobs?


Any kind of labor I would enjoy doing or would excel at probably wouldn't exist without a degree of automation.
Reply With Quote
  #52133  
Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,491

Default

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.b38e697c0ca4

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/gop...-corporations/


Two different views, what are yalls thoughts?

Are they making it harder to sue corporations for good reasons or just reduce actual frivolous lawsuits?


Quote:
Joanne Doroshow, executive director of the Center for Justice& Democracy at New York Law School, called the fast-paced legislative campaign to overhaul multiple parts of the civil court system “unprecedented.”

“These bills, put together, would exonerate large corporations and the health-care industry for any kind of harm they may cause everyday people,” Doroshow said.

Doroshow and others said the Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act would squelch most class-action lawsuits, which typically involve plaintiffs with a wide variety of similar complaints. It could sharply restrict membership in a class, for example, to women who had been sexually harassed in the same way by the same manager, they said.

That measure would also affect asbestos trusts, which distribute funds from legal settlements to victims of asbestos-related illnesses and injuries. The trusts would be required to publicly disclose the names, medical information and award amounts of victims, an attempt to cut down on fraudulent claims that opponents say would violate victims’ privacy rights.

Military veterans disproportionately suffer from asbestos-related illnesses and injuries, and many veterans groups are fighting the bill.
EDIT:

A very good point

http://etherealsuperposition.tumblr....-two-laws-that
Quote:
The take home is, when you see stories about frivolous lawsuits, ask yourself:

- Why did that person spend thousands of dollars, and use up multiple days of leave or give up days of their life, to take this issue before a judge?

- Why is the corporation, which has a whole office full of attorneys working for them full time, so angry that one of them had to take a half day to deal with this incredibly minor issue which, apparently, was so obviously legally meaningless that all they’d really need to do in order to make their case is roll their eyes knowingly at the judge?

In almost all cases, the answer to the first question is “because they’ve been seriously harmed and they need redress to help them get back to their life”, and the the answer to the second is “because they know that if a judge finds out what happened, there’s a very good chance they’ll have to pay a lot of compensation.”
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 04-04-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #52134  
Old 04-04-2017, 10:35 AM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,305

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Is it AI or just complex programming?
Depends on what you define as AI. About two weeks ago, i linked an article in the science thread about Microsoft creating a programm that's able to write itself by going through other sourcecode, analyzing that code and implementing it if it helps achieve what the programm is supposed to do. Basically, what bad software engineers do all day on Stackoverflow.com...
So we could replace those very, very soon.
__________________
Quote:
Teenagers (or older) at a Left wing indoctrination camp*
Nothing of value was lost.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Reply With Quote
  #52135  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
There are a few.
So the few jobs that do require that are going to be filled by a percentage of an already small group that can do stuff like that.

I suppose everyone else will just starve?
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #52136  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,384

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

My favorite place on base to get lunch isn't going to be open for lunch anymore, the smaller bar area on base is closing, and the trap & skeet range on base is closing. None of them have manning because of the hiring freeze.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #52137  
Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
My favorite place on base to get lunch isn't going to be open for lunch anymore, the smaller bar area on base is closing, and the trap & skeet range on base is closing. None of them have manning because of the hiring freeze.
Use the bullets saved at skeet to kill rats, and eat those.

Problem fucking solved, jesus christ you silver spoon mother fucker.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #52138  
Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Sen. Donnelly endorses Gorsuch for Supreme Court


My Democratic Senator is going to support Neil Gorsuch. He is putting his constituents over his party. Maybe he does deserve to keep his job in 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
So the few jobs that do require that are going to be filled by a percentage of an already small group that can do stuff like that.

I suppose everyone else will just starve?
People are more capable than they think they are and it isn't just the technical jobs that people will need to do. The people skills ones are important too.

Just imagine how many people had to work in agriculture 200 years ago and how many people would be capable of doing that kind of work(without modern machinery) now.
Reply With Quote
  #52139  
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

The problem is, we now have modern machines, so we dont need to do that.

Which applies to most jobs thay exist right now.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #52140  
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
The problem is, we now have modern machines, so we dont need to do that.

Which applies to most jobs thay exist right now.
People adapt.
Reply With Quote
  #52141  
Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,491

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
People adapt.
Unless they're told they don't have to.

"Coal is coming back, it's not the world that's changing, it's just all those darn regulations to keep your life's work from poisoning the world."
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #52142  
Old 04-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
People adapt.
So do machines.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #52143  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:27 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
So do machines.
People adapt machines.
Reply With Quote
  #52144  
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,384

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
People adapt machines.
Machines adapt people.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #52145  
Old 04-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xerrath
Posts: 11,081
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Default

Taylorism incoming in 3...2...1...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Reply With Quote
  #52146  
Old 04-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,384

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

"We are the platform for the alt-right" Bannon has been forcibly removed from the NSC.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ole-in-shakeup
Is the president starting to realize he's been being played like a fiddle? Or is it related to the FBI's investigation of Breitbart?
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 04-05-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #52147  
Old 04-05-2017, 11:55 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
"We are the platform for the alt-right" Bannon has been forcibly removed from the NSC.
Good.
Reply With Quote
  #52148  
Old 04-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,384

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Looks like it was actually McMasters' doing and the guy still has a high-up advisor position. At least he got demoted.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #52149  
Old 04-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
"We are the platform for the alt-right" Bannon has been forcibly removed from the NSC.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ole-in-shakeup
Is the president starting to realize he's been being played like a fiddle? Or is it related to the FBI's investigation of Breitbart?
Why is the FBI investigating Breitbart? They literally broke zero laws, and we have this thing called freedom of press.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #52150  
Old 04-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
"We are the platform for the alt-right" Bannon has been forcibly removed from the NSC.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ole-in-shakeup
Is the president starting to realize he's been being played like a fiddle? Or is it related to the FBI's investigation of Breitbart?
He's still in the White House and his everyday activities will probably be more or less the same. He's still Chief White House Strategist or whatever his made up position is called. Basically, he's the same as Karl Rove or David Axelrod. So not really a big deal honestly.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.