Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
It's not you. It's the people on WOW forums who are calling me an asshole(Undead Priest, "Dusksworn" or something like that) because I dare express a point that they don't agree with.

I deleted my post involving Zar. It was a bit harsh and I know that.

Anyway here's a post I agree with 1000%:
Distopia drives me right up and down the wall. I know what you mean about annoying WoW forums posters.

Just hoping that if they piledrive Theramore, they give us something either bigger and better, or at least equal. It was our doorway to Southern EK, and it'd blow if I lost my quick access to Onyxia. (Well, Uldum is that now, I suppose...)
Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Distopia drives me right up and down the wall. I know what you mean about annoying WoW forums posters.

Just hoping that if they piledrive Theramore, they give us something either bigger and better, or at least equal. It was our doorway to Southern EK, and it'd blow if I lost my quick access to Onyxia. (Well, Uldum is that now, I suppose...)
It gets on my nerves. I've got a reputation as a "troll" because I can sometimes become rather passionate in a thread.

I don't go into threads to fan the flames or to irritate people. I give my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
It gets on my nerves. I've got a reputation as a "troll" because I can sometimes become rather passionate in a thread.
Well, if I may suggest, sometimes it's just a matter of how you express your opinion. Of course there will be people who will just wail on you because you don't like the things that they like, but if you're really cool and calculating about making your posts you might not get the same kind of reaction.

I don't know, I'm not the perfect forum poster or anything, I've just noticed a lot of the time a good dialogue on a subject just comes down to how you present your opinion, even if it greatly differs from the person you are talking with.

Last edited by Porimlys; 10-24-2011 at 02:29 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 02:28 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
If you have the reputation as a troll and do not feel as if it is warranted, you should probably soften your posting style and change how you respond to posts.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I don't think they're forgetting it... I guess it's... resolved?

Moira's not going to move against Varian. He made nice with Genn. Malfurion and Tyrande like him. Gelbin's... Gelbin.

Sure his own people aren't thrilled with him but that'll likely change after Theramoore provides some outrage.

And his short story likely won him some points back home too.

So...what conflict?
Moria and the Dwarves are still borderline hostile towards each other. Dark Irons dont get along with Wildhammer and they don't get along with Ironforge dwarves.

The Dwarves can't trust their leaders because the leadership couldn't do a simple fact check before announcing something..

Malfurion and Tyrande are two different aspects of a nation, druidic and neutrality, and Wolfheart made a bit of a deal out of how the Druids were focusing much to much on everything BUT their people. That, and the Highborn issues.

The Gnomes can't get their kingdom back.

The Humans are in an economical crisis.

Worgen are refugees, like by most of the Alliance, though they do have to fit in with the Night Elves.

Draenei are so distant the Alliance didn't even know they were still in the Alliance, and they plan on moving back to Outland..

While they have good ties with the other nations, they are hardly unified.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
If you have the reputation as a troll and do not feel as if it is warranted, you should probably soften your posting style and change how you respond to posts.
I'm trying. It gets irritating, however - it seems starting my opinions in the most out-there way will get them across.
Quote:
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quota of Heimus Prime View Post
It's hard -not- to cry faction bias when the first thing we hear about is how the Horde starts on a steamrolling spree ALREADY.
Imagine if WoW covered the period of Warcraft one and two...

Alliance: Wow... we just lost Stormwind? Seriously, Blizz? Horde bias

Blizzard: Don't worry guys. Things may just turn around for you. *wink*

Warcraft 2 expansion announced!

Alliance: Cool! We get Elves and Dwarves... but did we get Stormwind back?

Blizzard: No.

Alliance: This game sucks. I don't care about this Lordaeron place. All the lore has been in Stormwind.

Horde: Ogres, huh? Pretty cool. DKs look pretty sweet too

Blizzard: This game's all war. It'll rock guys!

Alliance: As long as we get Stormwind back by the end.

Warcraft 2 expansion released!

Alliance: Seriously... Khaz Modan is dead too?

Horde: *quotes Blizzard * Oh! And we couldn't get in IF, brah... Dwarves r fine. L2patience

Alliance: We lost the elves and still don't have Stormwind? You know what... fuck you, Blizz *unsubs*

Horde: He'll be back.

Blizzard: Yup.

Content patch 2.9 announced, including the Battle of Blackrock Mountain

Alliance: I come back to this? Fu--- (long-winded rant about factional losses such as Lothar even though the Alliance won.)

Horde: But you won...

Alliance: But we lost Lothar and just got this puss Turalyon. And the Alliance isn't even killing you pieces of shi-

Blizzard: We told you everything would turn out goo-- wait... you're still mad? You won.

Alliance: Screw you. I don't care about this Turalyon chump. REZ LOTHAR! And where's Stormwind!? *unsubs*

Horde: So what's going to happen to us exactly?

Blizzard: Yup... and yeah, you're being thrown into internment camps.

Horde: Wait... like the Holocaust?

After the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion:

Horde: So our whole planet just got blown up except for our leaders? Where are they now exactly?

Alliance: WTF Blizz. Now the Horde win and all our heroes get blown up. AND WHERE'S STORMWIND? Screw this *unsubs again for the sixth time*

Horde: So our players from before... they're like... still enslaved?

Blizzard: Just you wait for our "Lord of the Clans" expansion. It's rockin'

Horde: Sweet... we do get Doomhammer back though, right?

Blizzard: Yeah. About that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middenheim View Post
Wait... those posts are actually serious? I seem to remember posting back in the day with you and you being a lot more... what's the word? Sane. Calm, maybe? Simmer down a bit and you'll fit in fine here in SoL. Otherwise you may end up Soldrethar 2.0 minus the apparent desire to... god, I don't want to think about it.

And don't worry about this naming thing. I get bored quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasterian View Post

Alliance: This game sucks. I don't care about this Lordaeron place. All the lore has been in Stormwind.

Horde: *quotes Blizzard * Oh! And we couldn't get in IF, brah... Dwarves r fine. L2patience

Alliance: We lost the elves and still don't have Stormwind? You know what... fuck you, Blizz *unsubs*

Alliance: I come back to this? Fu--- (long-winded rant about factional losses such as Lothar even though the Alliance won.)

Alliance: But we lost Lothar and just got this puss Turalyon. And the Alliance isn't even killing you pieces of shi-

Blizzard: We told you everything would turn out goo-- wait... you're still mad? You won.

Alliance: Screw you. I don't care about this Turalyon chump. REZ LOTHAR! And where's Stormwind!? *unsubs*

Horde: So our whole planet just got blown up except for our leaders? Where are they now exactly?

Alliance: WTF Blizz. Now the Horde win and all our heroes get blown up. AND WHERE'S STORMWIND? Screw this *unsubs again for the sixth time*

Wait... those posts are actually serious? I seem to remember posting back in the day with you and you being a lot more... what's the word? Sane. Calm, maybe? Simmer down a bit and you'll fit in fine here in SoL. Otherwise you may end up Soldrethar 2.0 minus the apparent desire to... god, I don't want to think about it.

And don't worry about this naming thing. I get bored quickly.
I've read some of that idiot's posts. I don't go on personal attacks or have that atrocious of spelling. You won't have to worry about that.
Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasterian View Post

Fantastic. It reminds me of WW2 as an RTS. I am certainly curious as to what the RTS games would be like on a campaign per campaign basis in terms of faction-wanking and -whining.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:54 AM

Arch-Druid

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5957?page=2#26

So... it's confirmed by Blizzard blue post now. Guess I don't have to ask my source for the sound file. He was on flight right now and wont be able to communicate with me for at least 10 more hours...
Old 10-24-2011, 03:01 AM

Elune

God dammit how the fuck did I get sucked into the thread on the official forums, I'll never be able to convince anyone of anything.

The point of this is to get mad at the horde, so you can relate with Jaina when she starts hurling fireballs their way.

Last edited by Porimlys; 10-24-2011 at 03:05 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's not you. It's the people on WOW forums who are calling me an asshole(Undead Priest, "Dusksworn" or something like that) because I dare express a point that they don't agree with.
Sup.

The point I didn't agree with of yours was your "Metzen rules". I would've called you a troll but I decided that would probably be insulting your point of view rather then merely your method of expressing it. Though I suppose I should never have added the "hole" at the end, as that adds a bit more insult then I had initially intended.

Generally the sheer amount of pessimism in that thread irritates me, but it's really the insults aimed at the developers that I care about.

EDIT: And to clarify on my reasons, it's because I don't want to have them discouraged from telling us stuff because of complaints any time they do.

Last edited by Krakhed; 10-24-2011 at 03:09 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
God dammit how the fuck did I get sucked into the thread on the official forums, I'll never be able to convince anyone of anything.

The point of this is to get mad at the horde, so you can relate with Jaina when she starts hurling fireballs their way.
Most of us have a reason...

It's... If Theramore is going to be used as justification, what about everything else up until now?

EDIT: By reason I mean we already have our drive. They've done a good job of getting people invested in the faction war.. I'm not quite sure what the point of Theramore is..
Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Sup.

The point I didn't agree with of yours was your "Metzen rules". I would've called you a troll but I decided that would probably be insulting your point of view rather then merely your method of expressing it. Though I suppose I should never have added the "hole" at the end, as that adds a bit more insult then I had initially intended.

Generally the sheer amount of pessimism in that thread irritates me, but it's really the insults aimed at the developers that I care about.
Can you blame some of the people for the pessimism, though? We were feeling fine after the MoP announcement, no lore seemed to be going down on the Alliance from what Metzen had said, it seemed we where fighting the Horde into the next expac on equal footing.

Then bam, everyone gets home, and the first thing they see is "The Horde sack Theramore".

Why couldn't the Horde get the first bad news of an upcoming expansion for a change? >.> For Cataclysm, the first pictures we saw where Astranaar on fire and the fact that Southshore was gone. The Horde got to see them stomping Alliance. It set in motion the pessimism early, so when we actually got to see it we where already jaded and looking to find the worst in our questing.

And then our questing, we lose to the Horde straight up in a few areas. Now we get to hear we lost so hard, that Theramore is gone. Not to mention the incomplete feel to a lot of zones, and the metric asstonne of pop culture references.

Get what I'm saying? :/
Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRotalHenricsson View Post
While i agree with you on Garrosh, you have to understand that being antagonist is not the same thing as being a villain. The antagonist is acting against the protagonist, so yeah, from the Alliance's point of view he's definitely the bad guy. It all depends of the circumstances whether or not he actually is the big bad villain he seems to be or if he has valid reasons to sack Theramore.
golden was rather good at giving garrosh some depth, so im sure from the moron's pov it will seem like a captial idea, heck it might appeal to his "honour"/vanity to allow the civilians to flee for their lives

i'll be honest, i had hoped garrosh would improve, now i just hope that when its raid time for him, he takes one of sylvanas' lives with him to the Void
Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
Most of us have a reason...

It's... If Theramore is going to be used as justification, what about everything else up until now?

EDIT: By reason I mean we already have our drive. They've done a good job of getting people invested in the faction war.. I'm not quite sure what the point of Theramore is..
To get Jaina invested in the faction war.

How that will effect the story is obviously to be determined. Perhaps she calls in the calvary with Kul'tiras and their fleets of ships, which results in the naval battle that becomes the discovery of Pandaria. There are a lot of possible ways this event could effect the rest of the story, really, it's just a matter of waiting for the next expansion.

Last edited by Porimlys; 10-24-2011 at 03:15 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
To get Jaina invested in the faction war.
She should have already been.

That's the other thing I'm a tad bit worried about. Jaina, as much as I dislike her character, shouldn't be the type to go off on a vengeance tangent.

I think its great she is getting some character development.. As I said earlier, I'll wait and see how it will turn out. I'm just a tad worried is all. Blizzard can be a bit heavy handed at times.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Can you blame some of the people for the pessimism, though? We were feeling fine after the MoP announcement, no lore seemed to be going down on the Alliance from what Metzen had said, it seemed we where fighting the Horde into the next expac on equal footing.

Then bam, everyone gets home, and the first thing they see is "The Horde sack Theramore".

Why couldn't the Horde get the first bad news of an upcoming expansion for a change? >.> For Cataclysm, the first pictures we saw where Astranaar on fire and the fact that Southshore was gone. The Horde got to see them stomping Alliance. It set in motion the pessimism early, so when we actually got to see it we where already jaded and looking to find the worst in our questing.

And then our questing, we lose to the Horde straight up in a few areas. Now we get to hear we lost so hard, that Theramore is gone. Not to mention the incomplete feel to a lot of zones, and the metric asstonne of pop culture references.

Get what I'm saying? :/
Well yes...

I wanted to level a Worgen before CATA came out, but because of the sheer boredom when I actually tried to I never really made it anywhere.

But really they basically acknowledged that Alliance side in Cata sucked and that they would try to make up for it. It's the fact that they admit they made a mistake and didn't deliver that gives me hope that they will.

The novel leading up to the next expansion is a Jaina one as well, so it seems likely that it's the Alliance that will be grabbing the spotlight here. And maybe I'll get proper motivation to level that Worgen of mine.

EDIT: But really poor expectations are no reason to insult the writing team in any way or attack those who show signs of hope as being "delusional"(Not exact words) as some have.

Last edited by Krakhed; 10-24-2011 at 03:25 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 03:18 AM

Elune

Quote:
She should have already been.
Maybe, obviously she felt otherwise. She's fervently against the faction conflict, that much has always been clear. Something as big as this could really cause her position to sway, the straw that broke the camels back, right? This isn't quite like the rest of the conflicts that have happened, I think. I see it as becoming an almost Wrath Gate sized scenario, like a big marker for the next chapter to come. To me it screams "ACT 2" .

Quote:
That's the other thing I'm a tad bit worried about. Jaina, as much as I dislike her character, shouldn't be the type to go off on a vengeance tangent.

I think its great she is getting some character development.. As I said earlier, I'll wait and see how it will turn out. I'm just a tad worried is all. Blizzard can be a bit heavy handed at times.
I look forward to this potential ball of fury that is Jaina. I think she has a lot of frustration pent up inside her; you know, she's this really intelligent person who tries to look at the situation objectively, so it just makes everyone else seem so unreasonable to her. Eventually, with the proper catalyst, that could become quite the pool of anger to tap into. If played out right, it could be very in character for her, albeit a different stage of her character.

Last edited by Porimlys; 10-24-2011 at 03:21 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 AM

Sha of Disappointment

More importantly: she's a POWERFUL enemy. Unleashing her rage could make her the socalled badass hero the Alliance needs. Let's face it, they screwed up Varian up a little in this regard. He's like Deathstroke: he's called badass, but, if at all, badassness only happens in secondary content, not in the actual game. For all the 08/15 wow player knows he's a rassist SMF Warrior with an anime-fetish. Jaina has the plus that she is wider known, not only from ICC 5mans but also WC3.

eh. i'm rambleing again.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
More importantly: she's a POWERFUL enemy. Unleashing her rage could make her the socalled badass hero the Alliance needs. Let's face it, they screwed up Varian up a little in this regard. He's like Deathstroke: he's called badass, but, if at all, badassness only happens in secondary content, not in the actual game. For all the 08/15 wow player knows he's a rassist SMF Warrior with an anime-fetish. Jaina has the plus that she is wider known, not only from ICC 5mans but also WC3.

eh. i'm rambleing again.
No, it's a good ramble. I agree.

I think seeing Jaina kick ass would be really really really great. I like a lot of aspects of Varian, but he's very much sold as a badass, so when you see him to badass things you're not quite so inclined to give a shit about it. Jaina, on the other hand, is not a character who is presented as a badass, so when we finally see her dish out some serious action it will be a lot more impressive.

That's how I think, at least.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dain View Post
My question would be... how? The Alliance would have to lose S.Barrens and Northwatch Hold for Theramore to be open to attack and last I checked they were doing pretty damn good in S.Barrens and Northwatch was secure. I mean they even broke through to get forces to Stonetalon. Garrosh pulls more Magnatur out of his butt?
Not necessarily. If Alliance forces are doing that well in Southern Barrens, the Horde's only way of stopping them may be to cut their supply lines - attacking the island from the sea would make sure that the forces in the west are heavily disrupted. Remember, Theramore may well be rebuilt by the Alliance and the logistic paths reestablished, but the disruption may be long enough to turn around the Alliance momentum in Barrens.

In other words, striking at Theramore, provided the Horde can pull it off reliably, would be a well placed strategic move.

That said, I'd still prefer a good alliance move like reinforcing Stromgarde as a counter.

Quote:
More importantly: she's a POWERFUL enemy. Unleashing her rage could make her the socalled badass hero the Alliance needs.
This reminds me - has it ever been said how powerful she is? I mean, compared to some mages out there, she's fairly young. Where would she fit in hierarchy between the level 1 player and Rhonin's raptor army?

Last edited by tufy; 10-24-2011 at 04:22 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Airships. Remember, they now have Goblins to built them in mass.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Airships. Remember, they now have Goblins to built them in mass.
Right, didn't think of that. :p Strategic bombing in Warcraft, yes please
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufy View Post
Rhonin's raptor army?
It's over before you even tried, none can ever hope to defeat the raptor army, they are behind everything.