Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 AM

Revenant - Moderator

The qiraji wrote runes on crystals, I think, but they stole a lot from the titans... So I don't know. There are some other troll tablets... Loa descriptions, how to get the ZF mallet... I still don't know how old they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
When we say the gurubashi empire fell, do we mean at the hands of the night elves, at the hands of Neptulon, or due to the Atal'ai civil war?
The Neptulon attack seems post-Sundering though.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 06-15-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 12:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
When we say the gurubashi empire fell, do we mean at the hands of the night elves, at the hands of Neptulon, or due to the Atal'ai civil war?
It probably fell many times, until eventually the empire just split apart and you have the remaining, warring tribes.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Wasn't there some Qiraji stuff that dropped from Skeram for some long-gone questline? I thought it was implied to be from Aqir times, and that would predate even the original troll empire and the Mogu.

Also, some of the lore objects in Pandaria are implied to pre-date Sundering by far, stretching back to the times of Mogu empire.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

There was also that "Slime/grime encrusted book" you could find in Silithus from one of the Silithid mobs that you turn in at Moonglade. If I remember correctly it was hinted at being very old. Might have been removed after the cataclysm revamps as I can't find it anymore.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:15 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
You've got my attention.

Or is this all about Golden tweeting about how troll dialogue is a hoot to write?
Golden tweets? What's her account?

Quote:
Okay, hm, let me amend that question. Earliest known written works by an indignous Azerothean race, IE, one that doesn't speak Titan or a language primarily influenced by it.
Pretty sure Skeram's prophecy of C'thun is the oldest, surviving text.

The Twilight's Hammer, in vanilla, seemed to read a lot of Kalimag in general. I believe that'd be the most ancient of the indigenous languages on Azeroth.

Quote:
Probably a combination of the three. I think they occured rather simultaneous.

Not to mention the Sundering.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Well, that particular story tells of the Gurubashi's destruction at the hands of Neptulon's Kraken minions, so presumably this particular fall came before he was banished. Of course, maybe he managed to do it from within his prison.

Speaking of Neptulon, there is a tablet covered in symbols which he apparently engraved for which the Naga were searching.

If those predated his banishment, those might qualify as the most ancient script.

There are also Drakkari tablets of unknown age or origin, which could in theory predate the Sundering, as Zul'Drak was founded "long before the great Sundering".
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
Wasn't there some Qiraji stuff that dropped from Skeram for some long-gone questline? I thought it was implied to be from Aqir times, and that would predate even the original troll empire and the Mogu.
I'm not sure, but there were crystals in the hives:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Glyph_Chasing

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Calling

More troll things:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Tablet_of_Theka

http://www.wowpedia.org/Ancient_Tablet

Really any tablet might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Pretty sure Skeram's prophecy of C'thun is the oldest, surviving text.

The Twilight's Hammer, in vanilla, seemed to read a lot of Kalimag in general. I believe that'd be the most ancient of the indigenous languages on Azeroth.
The qiraji might count as titan-influenced, and I'm not sure Kalimag has many written examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Well, that particular story tells of the Gurubashi's destruction at the hands of Neptulon's Kraken minions, so presumably this particular fall came before he was banished. Of course, maybe he managed to do it from within his prison.

Speaking of Neptulon, there is a tablet covered in symbols which he apparently engraved for which the Naga were searching.

If those predated his banishment, those might qualify as the most ancient script.

There are also Drakkari tablets of unknown age or origin, which could in theory predate the Sundering, as Zul'Drak was founded "long before the great Sundering".
Yeah, we lack context. It may have been at several points.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 06-15-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I believe the Hakkar and Atal'ai events were the last gasp of the empire. It was already in dire straits and that was their final attempt to try and pull things together again. After that it was just warring tribes up until 4.1
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So quick Q:

What are some small, Lordaeronian towns that appear during WCII but not at any point in the future?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
So quick Q:

What are some small, Lordaeronian towns that appear during WCII but not at any point in the future?
Towns... it's tough to say since most of the game had you actively constructing towns... off the top of my head heres some missing stuff.

Crestfall, Balor, Northeron, Zul'dare, The Tomb of Sargeras, Channel Islands, Kul'Tiras
Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Well, I don't think Hasic appeared in War2 itself but in DotD which was set in that era. I think there are more in War3, like Vandermar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
So quick Q:

I'm not sure there are any, though a lot of locations have changed place. For example, Dun Modr was above Thandol in Warcraft II but is now below Thandol in modern day.

(This was actually kind of important during the Human Campaign, since the Khaz Modan Act begins by taking Dun Modr and then moving south across Thandol to attack Dun Algaz and then Grim Batol. This wouldn't have been the same thing if Dun Modr had been south of Thandol.)

I've read the wiki speculate that perhaps the Dun Modr of Warcraft II was an older city, or perhaps the original version of the city was larger and so included both of the areas.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Dun_Modr

Notice how the wiki people gave the retro map a caption of "Northern Dun Modr". Pure speculation. But within that speculation, seeds for a city that could have existed in the Second War, if Blizzard suddenly decides that it wants it to.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Stratholmes port and oil operations should be on that list. I'm still kind of sad that all those old oil focus'd efforts and vehicles have been largely absent. So much has changed...
Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Towns... it's tough to say since most of the game had you actively constructing towns... off the top of my head heres some missing stuff.

Crestfall, Balor, Northeron, Zul'dare, The Tomb of Sargeras, Channel Islands, Kul'Tiras
More than half of those aren't in Lordaeron, though. For the purposes of my... project it has to be a town in the Kingdom of Lordaeron inhabited primarily by humans.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

If not for the human part I'd recommend the Shadowglen troll village near the River Arevass. But that's also War3, so whatever.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Northeron was retconed to be northern part of the Twilight Highlands in Cata.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
More than half of those aren't in Lordaeron, though. For the purposes of my... project it has to be a town in the Kingdom of Lordaeron inhabited primarily by humans.
I guess it could be argued that anywhere the human campaign focused on building there should be a town or establishment.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Warcraft III is a better source. The only locations we have named in Warcraft II, were on this map:

http://www.wowpedia.org/images/d/df/War2.jpg
(plus the Badlands which are in modern Wetlands, and Thandol Valley is mentioned in a briefing, and Northeron is constantly mentioned as the Gryphon Dwarves' homeland without being shown on the map)

So if you want Kingdom of Lordaeron, then it looks like Lordaeron, Hillsbrad, Southshore, Tarren Mill, Tyr's Hand, or Stratholme.

I'd suggest picking a town from Warcraft III, or treating the town of "Hillsbrad" as something different than the Hillsbrad that exists now (since it was clearly destroyed in both campaigns of the game).

EDIT: Or as Sonneillon said, that part of Stratholme that focused on oil production! It's on the coast, and could easily be interpreted as a suburb of the hulking metropolis of Stratholme we saw in Warcraft III, which wasn't on the coast and had nothing to do with oil production.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 06-15-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
So quick Q:

I think all the Lordaeronian towns mentioned in WCII appear in WoW: Southshore, Hillsbrad, Caer Darrow, Tyr's Hand, Stratholme, Lordaeron City.

That's not the case with the Warcraft III era.

Warcraft III: Vandermar Village
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Honestly, there should be way more coastal communities/ship yards up there. It barely seems like theres any ports, hell that was practically made cannon when going "through" the relatively unnavigable Gilneas was the best option for the Forsaken (who already had ships...). If it were up to me I'd throw a major forgotten about dock community hugging Tirisfal Grove. Where the oil operations took place and Stormwind's ships landed.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Honestly, there should be way more coastal communities/ship yards up there. It barely seems like theres any ports, hell that was practically made cannon when going "through" the relatively unnavigable Gilneas was the best option for the Forsaken (who already had ships...). If it were up to me I'd throw a major forgotten about dock community hugging Tirisfal Grove. Where the oil operations took place and Stormwind's ships landed.
Stormwind landed at Southshore, I think.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Jep, the missing part of Stratholme could be a good choice.

In WC II it was a coastal city with a harbor.

Or the be more exact, there it was east of Lordamere Lake. While this was retconned in WC III, in theroy it still could be treated as a coastal city.

http://www.wowpedia.org/File:LordaeronWC3.JPG

The Main problem is only the Quel'thalas border and the BX server thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Warcraft III: Vandermar Village
Hmm, in the WC III manual it has the same position as Brill.

Quote:
Stormwind landed at Southshore, I think.
They did, in the ToD Novel.

Last edited by Vineyard; 06-15-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Hmm, in the WC III manual it has the same position as Brill.
No it doesn't. Interestingly enough, this loading screen suggests that Brill is in Alterac.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
So quick Q:

Quote:
I think they are all accounted for. No Warcraft II-era towns disappeared.

Genesis really wants that one...

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:07 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
So quick Q:

The town that Garithos and his forces were MC'd in.

The villages surrounding Hearthglen(the Arthas mission when you had to hold out).

Maybe the village with the Bandit Lord that Sylvanas and the Forsaken must MC.

Oops, thought you said Warcraft III.
xD

Last edited by Erthad; 06-15-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Tags
garithos