Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 AM

Eternal

Default Project: Atlas of Azeroth and Draenor

Greetings, good people of Scrolls of Lore and various visitors. As some of you may know, I and my friend Kuusinen have been working on one little project for quite some time. A project that has as its part something we call the Atlas of Azeroth and Draenor, a set of numerous maps featuring the geography of Warcraft reconstructed to be both more in line with the old RTS games and to work more plausibly. Now, at long last, comes our very first official release. The physical map of the Eastern Kingdoms, now open for reviews. Enjoy or hate, but please, share your opinion.

Disclaimer: I am creating a new thread, as the previous one was created for the purpose of sharing previews and discussing unfinished work and concepts related both to the maps and the writings. And I would like it to stay that way, and keep this thread for the discussion of the finished segments of the Atlas of Azeroth and Draenor only. I hope you do not mind.

The Atlas of Azeroth and Draenor - Deviant Art

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map I - Physical Map of the Eastern Kingdoms at the Outbreak of the First War

Map I - Physical Map of the Eastern Kingdoms with an Index

Map II - Physical Map of the Eastern Kingdoms at the Outbreak of the Second War

Map III - Political Map of the Eastern Kingdoms at the Outbreak of the First War (without elevation)

Map III - Political Map of the Eastern Kingdoms at the Outbreak of the First War (with elevation)

Last edited by Marthen; 06-21-2016 at 01:44 AM..
Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 AM

Eternal

*Reserved for any future need*
Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Eternal

*Reserved for any future need 2*
Old 05-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Eternal

Glorious map! Will you be revealing the other maps on the coming days?

Just to nitpick: I think you confused "marshes" with "marches".

A marsh is a swamp, a march is a borderland, or something like that.

Mispelled "The Loch" as "The Lock".

Last edited by Ethenil; 05-17-2016 at 05:13 PM..
Old 05-17-2016, 10:28 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
There are several places where you seem to use "march" instead of "marsh" (e.g. Pyrewood Marches, Bluegill March). Is that intentional or do you mean "marsh" instead?

That said, the map looks stunningly gorgeous, and I will be devouring the details over the next week or so.
It is a mistake I did not notice during proof reading. I will tell K. to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post

Mispelled "The Loch" as "The Lock".
Same here as well.

Last edited by Marthen; 09-27-2016 at 09:05 AM..
Old 05-18-2016, 04:39 AM

Guru of Gilneas

I like a number of a small touches of details such as Alteraci Brill, Chillwind Harbor, Vandermar Village, Hasic, and Juroon. (I also like how this basically places Alteraci Brill approximately where Chillwind Camp is located.)

1) Duskwood: Is there a reason that Seradane is marked as a "Place of Power," but the Twilight Grove in 'Duskwood' is marked just as a "Place of Interest" despite their equivalence? May also want to include Beggar's Haunt as a fortification (though likely under a previous name).

2) Quel'thalas: You may also want to check out WoW maps to help fill in some space, if that's your wish. For example, you may want to include the troll tombs, Andilien Estate, and the Moon Crystals (An'telas, An'owyn, and An'daroth) in the Ghostlands or the Thalassian Pass.

3) Some of the town names seem incredibly generic, and I'm skeptical of a city existing named "Market Square." So I'm curious about place names like that and others, such as Raging Stream, Sanctuary, and Wellspring.

4) Gilneas: You may want to include ruins in the Gilnean HeadlandsI would debate Keel Harbor's existence as a fortification or whether it should be considered as a town or large town even. Similar with Tempest's Reach, which may be a village or town. Also, where is Baron Ashbury's lands? Or does his baronage imply a much smaller, if not trifle, portion of land?

6) Alterac: This may be a separate question, not entirely related to the map, but shouldn't the Alterac Mountains have some dwarf presence? We do know that some dwelt there at least around the time of the Third War due to that stupid Trag Highmountain story, and the Stormpike seem to believe that there were dwarven/titan relics worth excavating there. I'm inclined to believe that the Stormpike Clan - in my head canon a splinter clan descended from Bronzebeards and other assorted clans who went north and established trade relations with humans, explaining their vast wealth - had some presence (apart from Dun Garok) in Greater Lordaeron.

5) Kul Tiras: Even though non-canonical, I'm surprised you didn't include Boralus as a town or city in Kul Tiras. (Possibly with a Moscow vs. St. Petersburg of de jure vs. de facto/historic capital setup.)

6) Hinterlands: Appears to be missing the troll villages of Shaol'watha and Hiri'watha (and the ruins of Zun'watha and Skulk Rock) as well as the Wildhammer's Stormfeather Outpost. (Strange considering the presence of the Stormfeather River.)

7) Wetlands: Menethil Harbor appears to be missing, which is curious given the presence of Menethil Bay. Also I would certainly be curious as to when Menethil Harbor was created, as it may be a Second War development, a location where the Alliance made landfall or following the war.

8) Loch Modan: The map should probably include the Stonewrought Dam as a place of interest, which is considered to be something of a wonder of the world. Also, the Farstrider Lodge appears to be missing.

9) Northeron: Where is it?

10) Twilight Highlands: The Firebeard's Patrol subzone of Twilight Highlands appears to be a town, likely of a name evocative of the Firebeard Clan. Also, the Red Dragon's "headquarters," the Vermillion Redoubt is in that area.

11) Tirisfal: Shouldn't Venomweb Vale be noted as a "place of power," since that's where the Council of Tirisfal met and first empowered the Guardian? Also, couldn't a number of the Scarlet towers also be prior fortifications of Lordaeron, especially given their ruined status implying their previous use?

12) Searing Gorge: Perhaps include Thorium Point as a village, town, or place of interest? Also, maybe the Cauldron as well?

13) Stranglethorn: May also want to include more troll ruins (i.e. Ziata'jai, Zuuldaia, Mizjah, Bal'lal, Kal'ai, Tkashi, Balia'mah, and Jubuwal) to give a greater sense for the prior size of this empire.

14) Westfall: May want to include the Deadmines as a place of interest, as they also show up during the First War.

I may add more later, but I have work.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 PM

Guru of Gilneas

There are several places where you seem to use "march" instead of "marsh" (e.g. Pyrewood Marches, Bluegill March). Is that intentional or do you mean "marsh" instead?

That said, the map looks stunningly gorgeous, and I will be devouring the details over the next week or so.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:51 PM

Treant
BattleTag: Sxar#2744

Default The Chronicles

Have you read Warcraft Chronicle Volumen I? It have a lot of map and expanded universe you could enjoy too
Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxar View Post
Have you read Warcraft Chronicle Volumen I? It have a lot of map and expanded universe you could enjoy too
Yes? Many of those names on the maps, such as Eastweald or Brightwood, are taken from Chronicle.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 AM

Archer

Just discovered your projects and im amazed by then.
Have a map question and lore question.
If we go by the small lore that we have don't you think that Beetle Island is too far North for a Orc conflict to happen? Maybe Beetle Island should be close to Zul Dare

And do you have any lore for the Beetle Island and the Dragon Islands?
Old 10-14-2016, 03:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KND View Post
Just discovered your projects and im amazed by then.
Have a map question and lore question.
If we go by the small lore that we have don't you think that Beetle Island is too far North for a Orc conflict to happen? Maybe Beetle Island should be close to Zul Dare

And do you have any lore for the Beetle Island and the Dragon Islands?
Thanks!

As for your questions. Actually, I do have many naval battles happening in the North Sea during the invasion of Quel'Thalas, so it is not really a problem. There are several reasons for this, one particularly aimed at makings sense of some orcs being present in Northrend as per Day of the Dragon. They were a part of a small squadron that got lost during these battles in the North Sea.

As for lore. I do, but I don't want to disclose that at the moment. Apologies.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Eternal

Hey, are you working on anything in relation to the maps?

Suggestions:
- draw two triangles at the Twin Peaks;

- and mark Thas'alah as a place of power.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Hey, are you working on anything in relation to the maps?

Suggestions:
- draw two triangles at the Twin Peaks;

- and mark Thas'alah as a place of power.
We won't be altering the already finished maps. Too much of effort for too little a gain.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
We won't be altering the already finished maps. Too much of effort for too little a gain.
Oh, cool, I hadn't realized this versions were 100% finalized. It's fine, those would just be details.

But hey, what's the next one? XD

Tags
cartography, warcraft