Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

If Kel'thuzad or frozen Ner'zhul is the cover for VolIII, who would be the best cover for VolIV? Cho?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:19 AM

Elune

Garrosh or Illidan.

Or Khadgar if we're going the knowledgeable-sorcerer way.

Last edited by Jungleluke; 02-19-2017 at 05:23 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

To be honest, I'd rather have a Bestiarium. Less of a focus on events and more on species and their origins.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
To be honest, I'd rather have a Bestiarium. Less of a focus on events and more on species and their origins.
Why not both?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Why not both?
That would be the best option, true.

I just want to know more about beasts, monsters and races that are too peripheral to get much attention in Chronicle. Like goblins, for example.

Last edited by Nazja; 02-19-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 07:24 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
That would be the best option, true.

I just want to know more about beasts, monsters and races that are too peripheral to get much attention in Chronicle. Like goblins, for example.
Well, Matt Burns said that Chronicle is essentially a foundation upon which they wish to build more in one of his past tweets. I think he said that in relation to a question concerned with the cultures of different races. So, we might see different Chronicle spin-offs, bestiaries, racial books etc, once the basic Chronicle series are completed.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Well, Matt Burns said that Chronicle is essentially a foundation upon which they wish to build more in one of his past tweets. I think he said that in relation to a question concerned with the cultures of different races. So, we might see different Chronicle spin-offs, bestiaries, racial books etc, once the basic Chronicle series are completed.
And potentially less omniscient, more in-universe accounts as well. Show what people themselves know, how they assess this knowledge, what does it mean to them. Not only a good way to introduce events that were otherwise outside of Chronicles' scope, but also to present factions' views of themselves, their allies and adversaries, the world itself and its fates.

I'd like to see the world (of Warcraft) through the eyes of its denizens, read their books, hear their tales: their chronicles, their epics, their studies, teachings, pamphlets and documents. All that material I can engage with -- by comparing, analyzing and trying, should I want, to make a more or less non-contradictory picture based on these, so as to construct a model of history, an abstract afterthought set againt vibrant, living backdrop. Which is not the same thing as "loremaster's bird's eye view" of the setting.

Last edited by Thornedale; 02-19-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
And potentially less omniscient, more in-universe accounts as well. Show what people themselves know, how they assess this knowledge, what does it mean to them. Not only a good way to introduce events that were otherwise outside of Chronicles' scope, but also to present factions' views of themselves, their allies and adversaries, the world itself and its fates.

I'd like to see the world (of Warcraft) through the eyes of its denizens, read their books, hear their tales: their chronicles, their epics, their studies, teachings, pamphlets and documents. All that material I can engage with -- by comparing, analyzing and trying, should I want, to make a more or less non-contradictory picture based on these, so as to construct a model of history, an abstract afterthought set againt vibrant, living backdrop. Which is not the same thing as "loremaster's bird's eye view" of the setting.
See, I feel like that would be a cool project, but I wouldn't want it under the Chronicle label necessarily. If Chronicle is intended to be the definitive history, then it feels counterintuitive to include material that could conceivably be discounted by unreliable narrators.

If Blizzard wanted to try branching back out into making Azeroth into an RPG setting, then I feel like that work would make more sense.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
See, I feel like that would be a cool project, but I wouldn't want it under the Chronicle label necessarily. If Chronicle is intended to be the definitive history, then it feels counterintuitive to include material that could conceivably be discounted by unreliable narrators.

If Blizzard wanted to try branching back out into making Azeroth into an RPG setting, then I feel like that work would make more sense.
That is precisely what I wanted to say, yes.
Chronicle and spin-offs are one thing, and this is something else, although it too would build upon Chronicles' legacy and still use it as the definite source for general reference.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
I'd kinda like to see us get official racial stuff that we once had in the RPG books like the life spans for example.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I'd kinda like to see us get official racial stuff that we once had in the RPG books like the life spans for example.
New RPG would be nice......
Old 02-19-2017, 12:11 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
The question is what the better solution is: Blizzard develops a single-player RPG in the vein of Dragon Age/Mass Effect that really engages that level of detail

OR

Blizzard's Publishing arm puts out a campaign setting for, I dunno, Pathfinder or some shit.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
The question is what the better solution is: Blizzard develops a single-player RPG in the vein of Dragon Age/Mass Effect that really engages that level of detail

OR

Blizzard's Publishing arm puts out a campaign setting for, I dunno, Pathfinder or some shit.
Personally I was thinking along the lines of the latter.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Eternal

It might be my personal bias at work right now, but although I would love a series of books detailing both playable and non-playable races, their biologies, cultures, societies, histories etc, I'd prefer them as simple encyclopedias, not RPG books.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
No. I don't even care if it will be entirely in house, no. Let the rpg die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:42 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
No. I don't even care if it will be entirely in house, no. Let the rpg die.
The RPG can die. I just want a new one to replace it. Table Top with friends is one of my favorite past times.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 PM

Chimaera

Quote:

OR

Or just a conceptual literary project that engages with audience in many ways, instead of novels. Could potentially coinside with a new game in the setting, but not necessarily an RPG.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 AM

Eternal

"The RPG can die."

To be fair, Blizzard's willingness to support a campaign setting for any of their franchises has already died several times. The only reason I suggest it is because it's a way to justify increasing the level of detail that also generates a revenue stream.

Put another way, there are probably folks who wouldn't buy Chronicle (or a similar encyclopedia azerothica) because it doesn't offer any other value aside from worldbuilding. A campaign setting comes packaged along with the value of being able to use it for tabletop gaming with minimal work on the part of the GM, but an encyclopedia requires a lot more work.

So Blizzard's already funneling a LOT of resources at a very niche audience (aka people who like history books) and while I appreciate that, I also appreciate that Blizzard, as a business, probably wouldn't mind being able to turn more of a profit on that investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
Or just a conceptual literary project that engages with audience in many ways, instead of novels. Could potentially coinside with a new game in the setting, but not necessarily an RPG.
I'm curious of what form such a project would take.

Tags
warcraft, world of warcraft