Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Warden

Default Why do You Care About Warcraft Lore?

Why are we even here?

It is safe to say the vast majority of us are less than enthused by Blizzard's decisions regarding lore developments since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, at least from what I can gather mining salt from SoL.

With that in mind, I was curious; why do you care about Warcraft? What compels you to investigate, postulate, and criticize the world of Warcraft? Why not move on? What keeps you here?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Eternal

Well, for some time, my interest was tied mainly to my own fan project, but Chronicle (and some other things) has reinvigorated my interest in Blizzard's canon. It's simple as that. Though I doubt I really belong to that "salty" group you seem to be speaking of.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I've always cared less about the main story and more about the world and its creatures, and Blizzard is still doing an adequate job in that regard.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:21 AM

World Builder

I like worldbuilding.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Though I doubt I really belong to that "salty" group you seem to be speaking of.
Some are more restrained then others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I like worldbuilding.
But isn't the world already built? Or is it recreating the world by picking through lore and selecting pertinent information?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post

But isn't the world already built? Or is it recreating the world by picking through lore and selecting pertinent information?
A bit of both, I like imagining what will come or how things work or alternate paths and a lot of it makes good inspiration regardless.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Some are more restrained then others.
Restrain still implies the feeling, but I really do not feel "salty", nor do I think I objectively am. Well, except for my distaste of the Tides of Darkness novel and a few other things, but even when I bring those up from time to time, it is more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. And from what I have seen, I am still not the only one.

Frankly, I do not really see why one should be salty about a fictional world as a whole. Either you enjoy it enough to follow it, or you don't and, well, you don't follow it. Following a work you don't enjoy and being salty about it is really just a waste of time and energy.

Last edited by Marthen; 02-24-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Eternal

I've fallen in love with this world ever since I first played Warcraft III in 2008, and that love hasn't gone away yet.

Everything from the Scourge to Old Gods to Vrykul and Dalaran, from elves of all kinds to Draenor, I love it all.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM

Banished

Blizzard games have long been more about their settings than the characters with their better plots being Blizzware like Starcraft (didn't overly focus on Kerrigan and Raynor).

It's not a coincidence that the best World of Warcraft Lore was in Vanilla.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

At first because everyone was sucking Harry Potter's dick for a dose of love and friendship juice, while WC3 was willing to have Arthas actually play out the tragedy of his life.

Then the world building kicked in and I couldn't stop thinking about the other stories that could exist in a war-torn world. Thorough theorycrafting became my favorite hobby, thinking about new and crazy shit while trying to deal with insomnia.

Now, it's just easy to slip into, to build shit out of small pieces.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

You're using the wrong tense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Restrain still implies the feeling, but I do really feel "salty", nor do I think I objectively am. Well, except for my distaste of the Tides of Darkness novel and a few other things, but even when I bring those up from time to time, it is more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. And from what I have seen, I am still not the only one.

Frankly, I do not really see why one should be salty about a fictional world as a whole. Either you enjoy it enough to follow it, or you don't and well, you don't follow it. Following a work you don't enjoy and being salty about it is really just a waste of time and energy.
Look at me, I'm special and sophisticated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Look at me, I'm special and sophisticated!
Precisely Noit, and that's exactly why I said that I am not the only one.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Why are we even here?

It is safe to say the vast majority of us are less than enthused by Blizzard's decisions regarding lore developments since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, at least from what I can gather mining salt from SoL.

With that in mind, I was curious; why do you care about Warcraft? What compels you to investigate, postulate, and criticize the world of Warcraft? Why not move on? What keeps you here?
Not all of us are pessimistic about the lore.

It's not like any other fantasy universe is much better (or better at al).
Old 02-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post

Eh, Witcher's pretty amazing (and they're only pulling from one culture), Elder Scrolls is fantastic, LotR is the mahunga grand daddy that beats everyone. Hell, those are just the top-line ones we're fluent with, much less other worlds.

Warcraft is pop-fantasy. It's got fantastic moments, a ton of mediocre moments, and a ton of shit moments. We take the good with the bad.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Banished

Personally i think lore has never been better in WoW. Getting apathetic during WoD makes sense but St Illidan aside, Legion and WC is doing a really fine job with the lore overall
Old 02-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post

*Spit-take*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:54 PM

Eternal

I have a fascination with the ability to watch a creation-in-progress, and Warcraft is especially unique in that case because as each expansion and sometimes each content patch changes the end result, it always lets me get a different perspective on what the creators behind it are thinking.

Admittedly, I'm one of the people who read Lord of the Rings at a young age, and at a later age read all of the "History of Middle-earth" in order to to understand how Tolkien conceived of the place. Observing the process is kinda my thing.

There are also some characters in the setting I care about, and overall the series is more hopeful in comparison to Diablo. I feel like the good guys are going to win eventually, but it's nice to see exactly what kind of obstacles are going to be in their way between now and then.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I've been a lifelong adventure and RPG gamer; I literally taught myself how to write on Sierra text parsers (which caused my elementary teachers consternation when all my sentences were written like "Look cat. Get cat. Use cat with pineapple) and some of my earliest memories are sitting on daddy's lap playing Betrayal at Krondor or the Ultima games.

But for the most part, when I play or make a character in such a game, I acknowledge it as making a character. I also love learning about fictional worlds, but when playing a character I always view the world as an outside observer. I never say "I use my spellcasting abilities to learn about the ancient lore of the world," I say "My ninth level elf mage will use the 'decipher tongues' spell to read about the history of Fantasyland."

I was first introduced to the Warcraft setting via WCII and loved its art design and concept, but the lore didn't make a huge impact on me. It was one of the first games that let me play a monstrous race; I fucking loved the trolls of WCII and was sick of always choosing "human, elf or dwarf" in every other fantasy game for a while. I was an unrepetant Horde fanboy in 1999 inasmuch as one could be one. I also LOVED the introduction of industrial technology into the setting, which was also fresh to me at the time: submarines, flying machines, black metal factories staffed by orcs, this was so new to me that I did wish to learn more about the world, but I think I quickly lost the manual to the game and the missions themselves didn't do a great job of fleshing things out.

I played WCIII and was disappointed by its more generic setting (even though I did love the dwarven rifleman replacing the elven archer) and didn't follow WoW's development much (also because I 10 when WCIII came out and didn't really know where to go for game news).

My first MMO was actually City of Heroes, and that was very important because, unlike the RPGs above, it was the first time I felt like my character. In part that was because other players, other people, addressed me as such. I remember the first time someone referred to me in-character as "Singularity Prime" (yeah I didn't know where to find game news but I was trolling transhumanist message boards at 11, go fig) and asked me what I would do, how I would react to the world. So when I transitioned to WoW and started on a roleplaying server, people addressed me as Omacron and suddenly I not just saw myself as part of Azeroth, but I had a duty to research it.

That was actually the original character hook for my roleplaying character; he was a naturalist who was interested in the evolution of azeroths' species. This was before Blizzard spelled things out explicitly and not everyone even knew about Wowwiki! It used to be a fun thing to tell people that the troggs and earthen were related, or start arguments by saying elves evolved from trolls. Through that came a fascination with the history of its settings and, soon after, I registered here partway into TBC (when researching orc-draenei hybrids, as someone on SoL had discovered a bugged model with, I think, a female orc's texture on a male draenei's body and suggested that was an upcoming NPC) and the rest is history.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Warcraft is pop-fantasy.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Warcraft is very shallow. Next to some other settings out there, it's literally like trying to compare a coloring book to a thousand page leather-bound chronicle. It's basically babby's first fantasy-tier, like Harry Potter.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:28 PM

Warden

Thank you, everyone for your input, thus far. I know we all have our reasons, but they might not be the same, and since SoL is host to some colorful personalities I figured it would be interesting to hear what each person has to say. And I probably misused the salt metaphor. Mild discontent or thorough critique are likely better suited descriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I've been a lifelong adventure and RPG gamer; I literally taught myself how to write on Sierra text parsers (which caused my elementary teachers consternation when all my sentences were written like "Look cat. Get cat. Use cat with pineapple) and some of my earliest memories are sitting on daddy's lap playing Betrayal at Krondor or the Ultima games.
Not gonna lie; that made me laugh.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Not gonna lie; that made me laugh.
My mother says my first full sentence was "I want my steak medium-rare," my father says it's "I can't use these two items together." Considering I'm a food critic who plays a shitload of adventure games I don't know who to believe.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
My mother says my first full sentence was "I want my steak medium-rare," my father says it's "I can't use these two items together." Considering I'm a food critic who plays a shitload of adventure games I don't know who to believe.
At least it wasn't "you must gather your party before venturing forth."
Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

In my case it's investment, I've followed and been with this franchise for so long that even when I want to move away from it there was something that made me want to go back. Warcraft isn't perfect and has hit some pretty low moments before but I still always find myself keeping up with it just due to how long I've been playing it.

Tags
critical thinking, warcraft