Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8926  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 PM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Ground zero is the only mgs game i played. Quiet looks nice in the hospital scene and that is the only reason i want that game but i doubt my pc will handle the game.
It's not a demanding game at all, though. The minimum System Requirement is GTX 650(not a very powerful card), but most people can comfortably play many games with specs well below system requirements. I think that since many PC players regard 60 fps and 1080p as the minimum for a game to be playable, developers put in minimum system requirements that will enable one to do that. Just don't expect 60 fps if your PC is below the requirements, but even 30 fps is good enough, I feel. 30 fps certainly isn't optimal, but it is still playable so long as it is stable.

Ground Zeroes was the first MGS game for me as well, because I have not and never will buy a console. With my dual-core i5 660@3.33Ghz(although it has Hyperthreading) and 4gb ram and GTX 960, I was able to run Ground Zeroes at 40-60 fps and on medium-high. Since this game has exactly the same System Requirements I think that it too will run as well as that. If Ground Zeroes was playable on your PC, Phantom Pain will be playable as well, unless they messed up the optimization.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 09-07-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8927  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:08 PM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,788

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
To whom it may concern,
Why aren't you playing Darkest Dungeon yet?

Sincerely,
Kellick
My current computer is occasionally having trouble with Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I think I'll wait a while.
Reply With Quote
  #8928  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,056
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
It's not a demanding game at all, though. The minimum System Requirement is GTX 650(not a very powerful card), but most people can comfortably play many games with specs well below system requirements. I think that since many PC players regard 60 fps and 1080p as the minimum for a game to be playable, developers put in minimum system requirements that will enable one to do that. Just don't expect 60 fps if your PC is below the requirements, but even 30 fps is good enough, I feel. 30 fps certainly isn't optimal, but it is still playable so long as it is stable.
I have a gtx 560 . or 650. I dunno which it was.
Reply With Quote
  #8929  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:13 PM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I have a gtx 560 . or 650. I dunno which it was.
I think that's good enough. A 560 is significantly more powerful then a 650. And 650 is obviously playable as it's the minimum requirement. Of course, what CPU you have will matter as well, but not much. And the game's optimization will also be a factor.

But if the game's PC version is stable, optimized and not broken, and if you could run Ground Zeroes, you can run this.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 09-07-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8930  
Old 09-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Elune
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
So how is the PC version of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain? The series has always been focusing primarily on consoles so am a bit wary before getting this. Ground Zeroes wasn't a bad PC version by any means, but that was a much smaller game on a much smaller scale(essentially a glorified tech demo).
Working beautifully on my system. The only problem is that it is very obvious that they intended the game to be played with a controller rather than keyboard/mouse. For example, tooltip hints on the loading screens will always mention controller buttons (d-pad, x button, left stick, etc). The menus are all controlled via arrow keys and the 1 and 3 buttons. Auto-aim assist is on by default (and shit is it generous. I had to fight it pretty hard to even aim at a guy's head at first).

That's not to say it controls badly. Once you get used to not using the mouse to move through menus (you can, thankfully, use it on the map) and turning off the assist (if you're so inclined), it controls great. It can be a little awkward choosing a dialogue option when you have a guard grabbed though, if you have a companion (you can have up to 8 options or so. You can hit the number key, but you're also holding down Q because otherwise the dialogue tree won't come up, and if you have to hit, say, option 8...well, just a tip, you can use your scroll wheel to move through the options, and then hit space to choose it instead of making your fingers into a pretzel)

Game is gorgeous and should be fine for you.

Last edited by Arakiba; 09-07-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8931  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

What the actual fuck Bayonetta is insane.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #8932  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,485

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
What the actual fuck Bayonetta is insane.
Well yes but why is this particularly true today?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8933  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,056
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

I just want the Steam Winter Sales to start .
Reply With Quote
  #8934  
Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Well yes but why is this particularly true today?
First time playing
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #8935  
Old 09-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Elune
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,586

Default

Holy shit, MGS5 just started really kicking my ass.

Also I do like how the regular enemy forces start to adapt to your tactics. First came the helmets (since I love head shots so much), body armor, gas masks, night vision goggles. Now they're using decoys to make their numbers look bigger. I damn near had a heart attack after popping up and not noticing one. Was wondering why a few weren't scanning at first.
Reply With Quote
  #8936  
Old 09-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Sagara Sagara is offline

Arch-Druid
Sagara's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,269
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
First time playing
Spectacle fighters are a really cool genre if you're looking for over-the-top fun. MGRR is probably the tamest of them all, but damn if it ain't fun as hell.
Reply With Quote
  #8937  
Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Ku'ja Ku'ja is offline

Elune
Ku'ja's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cumbria, England !!
Posts: 8,080
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Default

So much MGS V and Danganronpa the past few days!! Danganronpa Another Episode has somehow showed how much darker that world really is my lord its glorious so far. MGS V i cannot stop playing and i need to stop doing side ops but it just has so much depth its crazy i lost my shit when i randomly checked out my Medical bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Holy shit, MGS5 just started really kicking my ass.

Also I do like how the regular enemy forces start to adapt to your tactics. First came the helmets (since I love head shots so much), body armor, gas masks, night vision goggles. Now they're using decoys to make their numbers look bigger. I damn near had a heart attack after popping up and not noticing one. Was wondering why a few weren't scanning at first.
The AI adapting to your playstyle making the game harder is one of the best features ever and needs to be in more games!
__________________

Run
Reply With Quote
  #8938  
Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Elune
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post

The AI adapting to your playstyle making the game harder is one of the best features ever and needs to be in more games!
Agreed. It makes you have to keep adapting. Those helmets are particularly annoying, but for good reason.

Thus far, 40 hours played, and I've only just now reached Chapter 2. Whew.
Reply With Quote
  #8939  
Old 09-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Arashi Arashi is offline

Eternal
Arashi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,796

Default

All i know is that ive been taking classes for 2 weeks and that arakiba actually plays shitty games with the only redeeming quality being JOHN CENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Still waiting for dancing all night.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8940  
Old 09-08-2015, 03:27 PM
GenyaArikado GenyaArikado is offline

Banished
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,294

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
First time playing
Good, let the light in.
Reply With Quote
  #8941  
Old 09-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,485

Default

So Undertale is gonna be on steam, sweet

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8942  
Old 09-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,056
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

bought blue estate off steam. my god on rails shooters are fun (and there is strippers in this one) This is going to train me for the Summer of george.

I am considering a name change to george.
Reply With Quote
  #8943  
Old 09-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Elune
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
All i know is that ive been taking classes for 2 weeks and that arakiba actually plays shitty games with the only redeeming quality being JOHN CENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Still waiting for dancing all night.
Only a few more weeks for DAN. I look forward to the music!

And speaking of music, I really should tweak what my helicopter plays. What to do, what to do...

edit: Wow, watching Until Dawn playthrough, this game's story is pretty good (if a bit trope-y for horror stuff, I suppose, but tropes do work). Only real problem is it really loves jump scares.

Last edited by Arakiba; 09-08-2015 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8944  
Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Insane Guy of Doom Insane Guy of Doom is offline

Time-Lost Proto Nerd
Insane Guy of Doom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,998

Default

As a PC-primarily gamer I don't have much access for any of the Metal Gear Solid games, though I've noticed V has come out on PC for the first time. Is it possible to get into the series from this point? I've heard mixed responses.
Reply With Quote
  #8945  
Old 09-08-2015, 09:58 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Elune
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
As a PC-primarily gamer I don't have much access for any of the Metal Gear Solid games, though I've noticed V has come out on PC for the first time. Is it possible to get into the series from this point? I've heard mixed responses.
You can certainly jump right in, though a lot of references would fly over your head. At the bare minimum you should probably also play Ground Zeroes (a sort of prologue that was released on its own ahead of time).

There are many catch up videos out there if you have time on your hands. If you are a Giant Bomb subscriber, there's the Metal Gear Scanlon series (played by Drew Scanlon, and guided by Dan Ryckert (think that's how his name is spelled). Drew hasn't played any of the MGS games, and Dan does a decent job at explaining stuff he doesn't understand).

I also came across this timeline of pretty much everything from the MGS series. Obviously would spoil the other games (doesn't really spoil TPP, though, of course, as this was posted back in June) and terms may not make sense to you, but it can help.

And some searching gave me this playlist of "movies" of basically all the games' cutscenes. But again, this is a lot of stuff to watch (close to 30 hours, by my calculations).

So you can catch up if you want to sink in a lot of time, heh. You can also jump in, the game does a decent job of catching you up on the more major points, but you'd probably be a bit confused as to who this person or that person is at times.

edit: While I don't play Destiny, I am interested in the whole changeover for that robot buddy thing from Dinklage to Nolan North. There's a comparison video now:



Nolan sounds way less bored than Dinklage. Definitely an improvement.

Last edited by Arakiba; 09-08-2015 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8946  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:13 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Nolan sounds way less bored than Dinklage. Definitely an improvement.
Really not much of a difference, certainly not enough to justify a replacement. Was this done due to player backlash or did the Dink not want to do more lines for DLCs?

(Also: the Dink is a terrific physical actor but i always felt his verbal acting get's glorified due to people trying to be... political correct because of his size. Doesn't really matter what he's playing, he always sounds bored.)
Reply With Quote
  #8947  
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 AM
Drusus Drusus is offline

Elune
Drusus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Greymane's Offensive
Posts: 8,699

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Really not much of a difference, certainly not enough to justify a replacement. Was this done due to player backlash or did the Dink not want to do more lines for DLCs?

(Also: the Dink is a terrific physical actor but i always felt his verbal acting get's glorified due to people trying to be... political correct because of his size. Doesn't really matter what he's playing, he always sounds bored.)
I prefer Dinklage over Nolan. It's true that he sounds somewhat bored, but his voice actually grew on me quite a bit during the game.

My issue with Nolan is that... well, it's Nolan North. We've heard him EVERYWHERE. Dinklage may have a distinctive voice (Game of Thrones and all that) but when I was playing his voice was rather unique to games and so I could believe it was my Ghost talking not "Oh hey kids, it's Nolan North again doing his whacky robot routine!" Dinklage sounds deeper as the Ghost which I prefer, whilst the higher pitch of Nolan's is just... it's not annoying, but it feels like 'another' light-hearted AI companion. He's now a discount Guilty Spark and we all know how much people just loved him. The sad part is, Nolan does have a lot of range (David in The Last of Us is a good example) but most of the time he just seems to be doing his 'Nathan Drake'/normal speaking voice.

Also, I recall reading an interview where the Bungie guy said that whilst Dinklage was great to work with he wasn't a 'reliable' VO because of Hollywood commitments which is why the DLC narration is done by new NPCs. They said with a dedicated VO like North they could ring him up and schedule a date to do recordings the next week.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
you're the edgemaster 9000 with the leet memes who's close second to Gurzog in shitposting.

Last edited by Drusus; 09-09-2015 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8948  
Old 09-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,989

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
edit: Wow, watching Until Dawn playthrough, this game's story is pretty good (if a bit trope-y for horror stuff, I suppose, but tropes do work). Only real problem is it really loves jump scares.
It is, isn't it. I've also watched some playthroughs, and I've been surprised by how much I enjoyed the story, characters and atmossphere of this game.
Reply With Quote
  #8949  
Old 09-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Elune
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,586

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Really not much of a difference, certainly not enough to justify a replacement. Was this done due to player backlash or did the Dink not want to do more lines for DLCs?

(Also: the Dink is a terrific physical actor but i always felt his verbal acting get's glorified due to people trying to be... political correct because of his size. Doesn't really matter what he's playing, he always sounds bored.)
Seems like more of a difference to me, but eh. He at least sounds more curious and emotional (for a robot or whatever he is) than just more or less bored. How I take Dinklage, anyway.

As for the replacement, I think it probably is due in part to some backlash (though I'm sure many have grown to like him, like Drusus does, which is fair. I could see myself getting attached too, given time), but its also (like Drusus said) due in part to Dinklage being an actual physical actor and not able to be called in all the time. That's the advantage of dedicated VAs, they've set their careers up for that sort of thing and are usually able to come when called upon (though there are still scheduling conflicts, such as Troy Baker's honeymoon (and subsequent popularity increase due to Last of Us) interfering with the rerecordings for Persona 4 Golden, or Laura Bailey working on Halo 5 interfering with Dancing All Night (still mourn that...)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
It is, isn't it. I've also watched some playthroughs, and I've been surprised by how much I enjoyed the story, characters and atmossphere of this game.
Agreed. And there is some seriously creepy shit going on in it (like during the seance, you can actually see a ghostly figure (and not the masked maniac, either) behind them for a moment in one scene (though I read it doesn't always appear on playthroughs, so it may be influenced by choices)). I was spoiled on something but even with that spoiler in mind the revelations around it had me going "oh my god" as the puzzle pieces clicked into place. And the characters are all surprisingly interesting. I found myself warming even to Mike whom I initially thought of as the jerkish jock/frat guy, but he's got depth to him (they all do, really).

Though I still think Emily's a bitch. But I do want to see her survive, even still.
Reply With Quote
  #8950  
Old 09-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,989

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
S
Agreed. And there is some seriously creepy shit going on in it (like during the seance, you can actually see a ghostly figure (and not the masked maniac, either) behind them for a moment in one scene (though I read it doesn't always appear on playthroughs, so it may be influenced by choices)). I was spoiled on something but even with that spoiler in mind the revelations around it had me going "oh my god" as the puzzle pieces clicked into place. And the characters are all surprisingly interesting. I found myself warming even to Mike whom I initially thought of as the jerkish jock/frat guy, but he's got depth to him (they all do, really).

Though I still think Emily's a bitch. But I do want to see her survive, even still.
Yeah, Emily's a real bitch. Aside from her, I like everyone, with Chris, Ashley and Mike being my favourites.

I also really like Josh but I'm not sure how much you've seen from the game and I don't want to spoil you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.