Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-28-2019, 06:41 PM

Ranger

Assuming we avoid the 2nd, what's wrong with one organization of demons under Sargeras or some other demon lord like Kil'jdaeden? Even in WC2 it was established demon lords like Sargeras had dominion over lower demons.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:44 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Assuming we avoid the 2nd, what's wrong with one organization of demons under Sargeras or some other demon lord like Kil'jdaeden? Even in WC2 it was established demon lords like Sargeras had dominion over lower demons.
If you just want it to become like WC3, then just play WC3.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:20 AM

Ranger

It is rumored that Gul’dan has entered into a pact with a sect of Daemons loyal to the Daemonlord Sargeras who are willing to aid the Warlock in finding their master’s Tomb.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:54 PM

Eternal

Having numerous unconnected daemonic armies following powerful warlords via authority is fine. So is such an army reaching Greater Azeroth at some point of its history. Problems begin when you have a singular army or more interconnected armies following some metaplot.

Last edited by Marthen; 08-30-2019 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 11:50 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Having numerous unconnected deamonic armies following powerful warlords via authority is fine. So is such an army reaching Greater Azeroth at some point of its history. Problems begin when you have a singular army or more interconnected armies following some metaplot.
Pretty much.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:34 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Old 08-31-2019, 09:43 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I don't mind the Burning Legion having only followed Sargeras originally. However, it think Sargeras should have remained kind of in an unknown zone like he was in WoW and BC, so you don't know if he's dead or alive and so the Legion slowly crumbles because of the power struggles of Kil'Jaeden and other powerful demon lords like Kazzak. I think the crumbling of this massive demon army is more interesting than the typical "all demons hate each other thing".
Old 09-01-2019, 06:06 AM

Troubadour

Ragnaros and Onyxia have already been killed and the group wasn't even full of level 60s.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 AM

Elune

I thought that might happen. My friend told me how most private servers buff boss health (if not other parameters) by 60% or even more to keep things interesting. Because with skills from live and often vanilla itself plus ofc all that content has been worked out to death with ideal strategies known to everyone... well the challenge of those bosses is pretty trivial, and so it has shown.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:36 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I thought that might happen. My friend told me how most private servers buff boss health (if not other parameters) by 60% or even more to keep things interesting. Because with skills from live and often vanilla itself plus ofc all that content has been worked out to death with ideal strategies known to everyone... well the challenge of those bosses is pretty trivial, and so it has shown.
So therein lies the question: how sustainable is the Classic nostalgia trip?
Old 09-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
So therein lies the question: how sustainable is the Classic nostalgia trip?
In the SoL Discord we've been having a blast in the last few days sharing very popular reddit and official forum threads that showcased the vanilla purist having their delusions absolutely crushed.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Loremaster

The thing is, something said purists seem to gloss over is that sooner or later, even if there's a cohesive plan to implement Vanilla-era AQ and Naxx down the line, that's really just an extension of what amounts to a hard endpoint. A "game over," as it were. Classic will eventually run out of "fresh" content, and after that point everyone who's interested in seriously raiding will gradually end up geared in everything they could want from the top tiers.

And since they're so staunchly against the idea of anything new sullying their Vanilla experience, having the best of the best drops from the top-tier raids Vanilla ever had to offer will be utterly pointless, because there will be no subsequent tiers on the horizon that call for such gear to be had.

They'll swear up and down that it's not the case, but I find it hard to believe even the vaunted (and I'll admit, with parts missed by even me at times) sense of community will perpetually endure running redundant content for years on end where every drop gets vendor-trashed because everyone's gotten what they need out of the bosses.

Patch/expansion-end content redundancy has long proven itself to be a significant factor in killing guilds even with the knowledge that in a few months more content is coming, and with Classic that content lull is more like just a content end. Without even the surety of things taking off again in Outland, Northrend, etc., how long will fully decked-out raiders who lament the loss of difficulty in modern WoW stick around to keep stomping all over Vanilla raids they've already out-geared and out-classed?

How long before they start breaking their own "rules?" How long before effortlessly mopping the floor with Naxx (or wherever Classic ultimately cuts things off) on a weekly basis fully geared out in said raid's own drops leads to burgeoning demands from those self-same people that new tiers or Heroic/Mythic modes or something be added to make the whole thing challenging again?

Last edited by ARM3481; 09-02-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Old 09-02-2019, 04:05 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

I find it to be highly enjoyable. Leveling is painful and difficult, every enemy killed feels like an accomplishment, I have to manage my money to afford new skills, and everything takes forever.

I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.

Last edited by Ganishka; 09-02-2019 at 04:17 PM..
Old 09-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The thing is, something said purists seem to gloss over is that sooner or later, even if there's a cohesive plan to implement Vanilla-era AQ and Naxx down the line, that's really just an extension of what amounts to a hard endpoint. A "game over," as it were. Classic will eventually run out of "fresh" content, and after that point everyone who's interested in seriously raiding will gradually end up geared in everything they could want from the top tiers.

And since they're so staunchly against the idea of anything new sullying their Vanilla experience, having the best of the best drops from the top-tier raids Vanilla ever had to offer will be utterly pointless, because there will be no subsequent tiers on the horizon that call for such gear to be had.

They'll swear up and down that it's not the case, but I find it hard to believe even the vaunted (and I'll admit, with parts missed by even me at times) sense of community will perpetually endure running redundant content for years on end where every drop gets vendor-trashed because everyone's gotten what they need out of the bosses.

Patch/expansion-end content redundancy has long proven itself to be a significant factor in killing guilds even with the knowledge that in a few months more content is coming, and with Classic that content lull is more like just a content end. Without even the surety of things taking off again in Outland, Northrend, etc., how long will fully decked-out raiders who lament the loss of difficulty in modern WoW stick around to keep stomping all over Vanilla raids they've already out-geared and out-classed?

How long before they start breaking their own "rules?" How long before effortlessly mopping the floor with Naxx (or wherever Classic ultimately cuts things off) on a weekly basis fully geared out in said raid's own drops leads to burgeoning demands from those self-same people that new tiers or Heroic/Mythic modes or something be added to make the whole thing challenging again?
Yeah pretty much. They can roll alts I guess. 50 character slots, 40 race-class combinations, it could be a kind of self-imposed challenge.

It might hold them untill the inevitable BC and Wrath servers launch. I wonder what they'd call those by the way. Classic plus or something.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
Yeah pretty much. They can roll alts I guess. 50 character slots, 40 race-class combinations, it could be a kind of self-imposed challenge.

It might hold them untill the inevitable BC and Wrath servers launch. I wonder what they'd call those by the way. Classic plus or something.
The Burning Crusade: Vintage.

But, yeah. That's how I view Classic. I don't know what I'm going to do when my Warlock is fully leveled and cleared up through Naxx. I guess I could try a Mage and a Rogue, or even tanking.

Quote:
Quote:
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
In the SoL Discord we've been having a blast in the last few days sharing very popular reddit and official forum threads that showcased the vanilla purist having their delusions absolutely crushed.
I'm intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post

There are guilds who have been playing WoW Classic on private servers for years now. APES, the guild that beat Method to world first for Onyxia and Ragnaros on Classic, is a guild that has specialized in playing WoW classic on private servers. There are clearly people who enjoy this sort of thing. However, much like you, I'm skeptical about the sustainability outside of this niche population and even among the self-professed #NoChanges "purists."
Old 09-03-2019, 02:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
So, those 4chan memes turned out to be true for some people? "They think they did, but the didn't!"

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
So, those 4chan memes turned out to be true for some people? "They think they did, but the didn't!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgfiSzCy1o
Precisely.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Treant

Quote:
As usual Krainz, your bitterness is palpable. Classic exceeded expectations and has not yet experienced any dropoff. Krainz, you are pathetic for wanting this game to fail so badly. You are one of the most antagonistic, negative people on this forum. If you do not like classic, stop posting about it, stop giving it your energy, and stop picking fights over it. You thrive on negativity, and while you're looking for Reddit posts to confirm your opinion, many of us are enjoying the game. I am delighted to know that this game has joined the long list of things making you unhappy. You truly deserve it.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:35 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

I played Classic a little. It wasn't as awful as I remembered it. Maybe because I am now better at this. Maybe because my internet connection is actually capable of normal communication with a game.

But it was worse than that. It was boring.

I was just standing there, waiting for things to happen. Okay, 1... waiting... waiting... waiting... 3, 2... waiting... 1... wait- 2, 3, 2, 1... waiting... The amount of ellipses does not truly encompass how much standing and waiting was there. And in between combat encounters? Running. So much god damn running...

I got to level 9 and I couldn't stand it anymore.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:40 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
I played Classic a little. It wasn't as awful as I remembered it. Maybe because I am now better at this. Maybe because my internet connection is actually capable of normal communication with a game.

But it was worse than that. It was boring.

I was just standing there, waiting for things to happen. Okay, 1... waiting... waiting... waiting... 3, 2... waiting... 1... wait- 2, 3, 2, 1... waiting... The amount of ellipses does not truly encompass how much standing and waiting was there. And in between combat encounters? Running. So much god damn running...

I got to level 9 and I couldn't stand it anymore.
Before hitting level 20 and getting a few spells it's a bit of a drag for most classes. But the slow pace and gradual increase of utilities is what I enjoy. Fighting an enemy is an ordeal, as it should be. Fighting two enemies at once can be an outright challange for some classes and in the lower levels. Any upgraded gear you get makes a noticable difference.

Travel is a pain in the ass, sure, but it makes the world itself part of the game, rather than being scenery you just fly over or ride through. If you want to efficiently gain exp you have to plan out your travels and the order in which you'll do things.

Being in a guild with an active chat or playing with friends also helps a lot in making it less boring.

Playing Classic has only made me lose interest completely in any future retail releases (unless they'd happen to revert back to the old tedious RPG style). As far as I'm concerned, my level 32 night elf druid on Classic is my new main character, not the character I've been consistently playing for over a decade on retail.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:39 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Before hitting level 20 and getting a few spells it's a bit of a drag for most classes. But the slow pace and gradual increase of utilities is what I enjoy. Fighting an enemy is an ordeal, as it should be. Fighting two enemies at once can be an outright challange for some classes and in the lower levels. Any upgraded gear you get makes a noticable difference.

Travel is a pain in the ass, sure, but it makes the world itself part of the game, rather than being scenery you just fly over or ride through. If you want to efficiently gain exp you have to plan out your travels and the order in which you'll do things.

Being in a guild with an active chat or playing with friends also helps a lot in making it less boring.

Playing Classic has only made me lose interest completely in any future retail releases (unless they'd happen to revert back to the old tedious RPG style). As far as I'm concerned, my level 32 night elf druid on Classic is my new main character, not the character I've been consistently playing for over a decade on retail.
It doesn't matter what the game is after 20. It's so damn boring I lost interest before getting there. Retail is certainly not that, at ALL levels. If the best defense is "wait, it will get less boring"... it's really damn broken. It's not supposed to be boring! Ever! What was it that Hitchcock said? Something along the lines of "you start with an earthquake, and then the tension rises".

And I stop "taking in the world" after about the sixth time I have to run by the same damn trees, getting jumped by the same damn wolves. It's still a scenery. But now it's a scenery that is starting to frustrate me.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:44 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandris View Post
As usual Krainz, your bitterness is palpable. Classic exceeded expectations and has not yet experienced any dropoff. Krainz, you are pathetic for wanting this game to fail so badly. You are one of the most antagonistic, negative people on this forum. If you do not like classic, stop posting about it, stop giving it your energy, and stop picking fights over it. You thrive on negativity, and while you're looking for Reddit posts to confirm your opinion, many of us are enjoying the game. I am delighted to know that this game has joined the long list of things making you unhappy. You truly deserve it.
Every single sentence of your post is dead wrong.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:30 AM

Treant

Quote:
Every single sentence of your post is dead wrong.
https://www.battlechat.co/2019/09/wo...scriber-count/

Seethe. Your misery sustains me.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandris View Post
What is there to seethe about?

Tags
classic wow, world of warcraft