Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Eternal

One thing about the lack of "finale" for Ashenvale/Stonetalon and onward... I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary from a business model for every zone to have a concrete story arc as you progress. The re-design intent for Cataclysm was to encourage new players, so it makes tons of sense that 1-5, 5-10, 10-20 all have very clear stories with something of an event or "raid boss" at the end. That kind of excitement builds momentum. Once a player hits Ashenvale, or any +20 zone, the stories we play become highlights to a greater conflict: Horde versus Alliance, with the threat of the Twilights growing with each level.

As for the Night Elf society, I think 2foot is saying that Night Elves have prejudice toward gender roles in their society, but those prejudices are not malignant or evidently discouraging to its citizenry. When compared to contemporary or even Stormwind society, it can be perceived as sexist, but it may not feel that way from the inside. Rather than toss "is to" and "is not" back and forth, perhaps a more in-depth explanation would benefit the discussion?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
One thing about the lack of "finale" for Ashenvale/Stonetalon and onward... I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary from a business model for every zone to have a concrete story arc as you progress.
Okay, well I think it should. Even if it's not necessary.

Quote:
Rather than toss "is to" and "is not" back and forth, perhaps a more in-depth explanation would benefit the discussion?
In another topic, thank you very much. If you do decide to go down that route.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Okay, well I think it should. Even if it's not necessary.
Obviously, I'm only playing devil's advocate. I agree with the idea that Tyrande should have played a significant role in Ashenvale, and any appearance in Winterspring would be too little, too late. Tyrande leading the charge but mercifully sparing the lives of captive Orc soldiers would have gone a long way to telling the story of WC3 Hyjal and showing character growth as a political dignitary... while also feeding an anti-Tyrande sentiment amongst the more vengeful Sentinels and Wardens.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Okay, gonna finish up Desolace tonight if I can (last time I was on there was a bug, but I think I know how to fix it). And write up a review for it and Stonetalon. (If I can remember anything ABOUT Stonetalon at this point.)
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Ah, so here it is .

Gotta give Ashenvale a read .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Ah, so here it is .

Gotta give Ashenvale a read .
In hindsight I didn't actually talk about it much. But really, it hasn't changed a WHOLE lot.

There are two new quest hubs, one in the south one in the west. (One by Blackfathom Depths called Blackfathom Camp. It's where that one odd NPC used to have a fire.) The other a large tower next to Silverwind Refuge. (Which has been taken over by the Horde.

The Orcs with help mostly from the Goblins (and the odd Forsaken apothecary) are culling the forest down. Night Elves propel attacks from Maestra's Post, Astraanar and Raynewood Retreat (I think that's what it's called? The tower in the middle of the zone.) You quell some annoying elementals. You have a couple of quests in quenching the Warsong Lumber Camp, but overall there's just not much story. You fight the Horde a lot, but... it's just... generic enemies. There's no plot or flow to the war the way there is one in Silverpine.

There's no 'front line'. It seems like the Horde and Night Elves are just randomly attacking each other without any sort of thought to tactics or anything of that sort.

If there were separate regiments or something that might make a bit more sense, but it just seemed like they're besieging each other. Which doesn't really work so well.

Last edited by Aldrius; 09-14-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Okay, changing my strategy a bit here. Desolace was boring me, so now I've got a new sort of process I'm gonna go through.

I'm getting a couple of friends into the game maybe with the advent of the cataclysm. As such, I kinda want to test each of the new 1-20 experiences for the classic races.

Thus far I have done...

Tirisfal -> Silverpine (Including the updated Deathknell)
Teldrassil -> Darkshore

So here's where you all come in.

What should I do NEXT?

Your choices are of course:

Mulgore/Durotar (Echo Isles/Valley of Trials) -> Northern Barrens/Azshara
Dun Morogh -> Loch Modan
Elwynn Forest -> Westfall/Red Ridge

VOTE NOW.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

I vote tauren.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I vote tauren.
To what? Northern Barrens or Azshara?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Eternal

Mulgore to Azshara, mainly because I haven't seen a lot of Azshara on these forums.

If it was an option though, I would say goblins to Azshara, simply for the continuation of story
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Mulgore to Azshara, mainly because I haven't seen a lot of Azshara on these forums.

If it was an option though, I would say goblins to Azshara, simply for the continuation of story
Goblin starting zone is bugged anyway from what I hear. So is the worgen one.

I tried making a Tauren and Orc character... both bugged out on me, so I might just level up that Tauren I made to hear if Baine shouted "What chance have you?" way back when.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
To what? Northern Barrens or Azshara?
Northern barrens sorry, I know it hasn't changed as much but we've heard so bloody much about azshara and no in-depth look into the northen barrens.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Northern barrens sorry, I know it hasn't changed as much but we've heard so bloody much about azshara and no in-depth look into the northen barrens.
The northern barrens are somewhat different. Some quests are moved around, there's an upgraded quest hub at the Grol'dom farm. I only saw as far as entering the Crossroads, as I've stopped playing the beta for a bit. There are several quests involving transporting a kodo caravan... the first one is from the bridge to Grol'dom, then from Grol'dom to the Crossroads itself.

First time it's you with a shotgun blasting away at incoming Quillboar. The second trip consists of a legion of Burning Blade outrunners chasing you on wolves. Shoot them or knock them off your kodo with the butt of your gun.

I could go on, but I'm tired and can't think of many other highlights to the zone thus far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:53 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Okay, so that's one for Muglore -> N. Barrens, one for Mulgore to Azshara?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM

Arch-Druid

I'd say do Northern Barrens. Azshara definitely feels like a more Orc/Goblin narrative, over Tauren. Tauren in mind mind are more suited for the Barrens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

All right. That's 2 for N. Barrens.

I'll finish the Tauren character I started, then do an Orc through to Azshara.

That works. Probably finish up Hillsbrad at some point too.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I vote for Mulgore-Barrens, too, just in case there were still doubts .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-20-2010, 02:19 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I vote for Mulgore-Barrens, too, just in case there were still doubts .
Well I'm doing Northern Barrens right now on my Tauren... so...
Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Leveling as a disc priest is a brave thing to do /salute . Not sure how much penance changes things though , hard to believe it'll prove better then shadow leveling .
*raises paw*

I leveled my main as disc all the way to 80. Penance, smite, bubble, and holy nova were my friends. It also prepared me for pvp. Its very hard to kill a disc priest in pvp.

Night elves are my favorite race in the game. I come from a bass-akward point of view, however, never having gotten the chance to play the original Warcrafts. I started with WoW. And in wow, at least on the alliance side if you're not human you're kind of in that vapid, blah mode in my opinion. But all that I love about night elves comes from the books although the WoA trilogy made the night elves out to be more of the classicist highborne as opposed to feral creatures. That was just beginning with Malfurion's tutelage under Cenarious in the books.

And I know people aren't going to like this but I mostly picked night elves because of the warrior woman, matriarchy. Its very rare in games that us chicks aren't the standard damsels or the support to the brave male heroes. In night elves culture, it seems, women wear the pants and ride the tigers unless you're the Malfurion or Staghelm take charge type. (If you notice, of the night elf npc's you'll never see one riding a saber even though males do ride them in the books)

I was really upset about the mage thing. The Highborne are mages, night elves are not :/.

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded