Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default A treatise on the psyche of the goblin.

This is for all the people who are confused by the actions and motivations of goblins. Most recently people are upset that the notorious backstabber Gallywix has been installed as the goblin racial leader. They see it as a counterintuitve move. Counterintuitive to humans perhaps, but to goblins? These are the people that rush into battle with giant barrels of explosives strapped to them.

There are probably two main stereotypes of goblins. The sapper: that is, the goblin with the propensity for dangerous engineering experiments. The inventions more often than not, fail to function properly with explosive consequences. The other one is the wheel-dealer. The financially savvy, pinch-a-penny financial type who makes questionable investments and haggles for hours.

Those are the two stereotypes, but I think they point to a larger trend in goblin psychology: goblins LOVE to take risks. They are adrenaline junkies through and through. They are driven by risk and reward. They live for the adrenaline rush of the risk and the endorphin rush of a risk that paid off. The same centers of the human brain that reward skydiving and gambling are highly exaggerated in goblins, to the point that it's one of the main themes of their race.

And because of this, goblin society could be described as an extreme meritocratic capitalism. But the merits that inform advancement aren't exactly the same as in other societies. To them, a great invention is all well and good, but they place equal, if not greater value on the cutthroat wheeling and dealing it takes to remove competitors and place themselves on top of the totem pole. So most goblins might dislike, want to kill, or generally resent Gallywix, but the fact he made it there proves his business and negotiating savvy. They don't begrudge him the position because backstabbing, deal-making and outselling your way to the top is the goblin dream precisely because it's the risks of that process that makes them tick. The adrenaline rush of knowing the people under you are gunning for your position, and will most likely try to kill you. "Tricky bastard" is probably some of the greatest praise a goblin could ask for. Gallywix embodies this.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 12-08-2010 at 07:05 PM..
Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

You misspelled "psyche." Therefore, I refuse to read the rest of your post.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

i don't know wtf you're talking about.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

... No... just... Gallywix is there for the risk? They're all complementing him? Goddangit people are just overanalyzing this, he's put there to be an evil bastard among crazed lunatics.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

I think he's going to be magatha to baine, as he is to sassy or boss mida
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I think he's going to be magatha to baine, as he is to sassy or boss mida

Possible for sassy, though technically it's the reverse to the tauren situation, as the ideal leader is out of power and the disliked one is in power.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I don't think Mida will ever do anything. She's just a nod to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Possible for sassy, though technically it's the reverse to the tauren situation, as the ideal leader is out of power and the disliked one is in power.
Yes of course but i mentioned has a racial villain leader and racial hero leader
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
i don't know wtf you're talking about.
Really? You don't see that you used the non-word "PHYCHE" in your thread title?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM

Eternal

Putting Gallywix "in charge" of the Goblins is his prison.

Gallywix is worth more in a position of authority to the Horde. He has connections with other Trade Princes and untouched coffers that can be absorbed into Orgrimmar holdings. Elevating another Goblin with borrowed funds would cause political strife and possible rifts between the other Goblin cartels.