Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Default N'zoth is the emerald dream?

Okay time for another of my mad and probably wrong ideas, which is kinda spun from my last thread. We know from the events of stormrage that the rift of aln is the birthplace of the dream. We also know that the nightmare is still within this space. This could mean the assumption that the rift of Aln is the startin point for both, and that the nightmare is a natural state of the dream.

The puzzlebox of Yogg saron only adds to this with the information about the sleeping city:

Quote:
In the land of Ny'alotha there is only sleep.
This implies a connection between this city and the dream, but also suggests that the city has been sleeping for a time prior to the current nightmare events (if we assume that the city is the prison for N'zoth.)

I support the idea that the emerald dream is a blueprint, with the loa/ancients being the frameworks for all life on azeroth. Designs in which future life is based on. We are told through the dark ancients quests that each ancient has a darker side buried in their core. Energies that were never meant for our world. If we assume that the titans made the loa/ancient guardians as models for the life they would populate the planet with, then what would be the purpose of this darkness? Either this was something that happened to them later, or that they had that darkness from the start.

So my idea is, what if the dream is the dream of one core dreamer. If N'zoth is the god of nightmare. What if the dream was originally one horror filled plane which often bleed into reality. Which was contained by the titans, similar to how the elemental planes were controlled and segregated from reality.

Now for my more surreal idea, we know that the titans found existing life on azeroth. That their own creations were often mechanical. Rather then create life, it seems that they rather experiment with pre existing life forms that are shown in places like ungoro. So if the Loa/guardians were always living in the dream, what is their origin if not titan? (I am assuming that they are not living beings that have become gods for the purpose of this idea.)

My idea is that all loa/guardians began as nightmares. Dreams of N'zoth that had become living. Not evil by nature, just beings of flesh that N'zoth naturally creates in his dreaming state. The titans after trapping the emerald dream from the world, purged N'zoths influence and put him into a coma. So he still dreams, yet he has no control over that dream.

Now this creates an interesting idea, that all life is created initially within imagination before it manifests in reality (kinda a neil gaimain sounding story.) This also means that the reason that the nightmare is happening, is that the coma like state of N'zoth is ending.

We have also seen that the nightmare can manifest in reality, bringing nightmarish beings that should not exist. This could make N'zoth far more powerful then the other 2. As his power directly changes reality.

Anyway thats all I can think of so far...
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Possible...

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Arch-Druid

I think it's fairly obvious that N'zoth is the most powerful Old God. We are looking at a being that is responsible not only for the Emerald Nightmare, but the corruption of Deathwing and Azshara and the Naga. Since I don't really think we have time for too many more Old Gods, it looks to me like there are 3. C'thun, Yogg-Saron and N'zoth. I would venture to guess at this point that N'zoth is the most powerful evil that is actually on Azeroth, and that he will be the co-focus of the next expansion, along with Azshara.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 PM

Eternal

he deserves his own expansion

85-90: azshara
90-95: n'zoth
95-100: sargeras

ofc blizzard will contiune to make more expansions in some shape or form aslong as WoW remains profitable
Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schro View Post
Now this creates an interesting idea, that all life is created initially within imagination before it manifests in reality (kinda a neil gaimain sounding story.) This also means that the reason that the nightmare is happening, is that the coma like state of N'zoth is ending.
You brought this, and that rang a bell to me, why ?

Look at this australian myth, called " Alchera " or " Dreamtime " :

The Dreaming is a sacred era in which ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings formed The Creation

They believe that every person essentially exists eternally in the Dreaming. This eternal part existed before the life of the individual begins, and continues to exist when the life of the individual ends ( I.E : CENARIUS )

It was believed that, before humans, animals, and plants came into being, their 'souls' existed; they knew they would become physical, but not when. When that time came, all but one of the 'souls' became plants or animals, with the last one becoming human and acting as a custodian or guardian to the natural world around them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamtime

Quote:
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.

Last edited by engal; 03-20-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Demon Hunter

So long as we're linking to wikipedia, here are some other potentially relevant sources of inspiration for Blizzard:

Ny'alotha: R'lyeh
N'Zoth: Cthulhu and Shub-Niggurath
Emerald Dream: The Dreamlands
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
So long as we're linking to wikipedia, here are some other potentially relevant sources of inspiration for Blizzard:

Ny'alotha: R'lyeh
N'Zoth: Cthulhu and Shub-Niggurath
Emerald Dream: The Dreamlands
Goes without saying almost. I just got a hardcover of a complete collection of Lovecraft's work (including unfinished stuff) at Barnes and Noble for $11 dollars. I'm pretty sure this is the best literary value I've ever come across.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstraka View Post
I think it's fairly obvious that N'zoth is the most powerful Old God. We are looking at a being that is responsible not only for the Emerald Nightmare, but the corruption of Deathwing and Azshara and the Naga. Since I don't really think we have time for too many more Old Gods, it looks to me like there are 3. C'thun, Yogg-Saron and N'zoth. I would venture to guess at this point that N'zoth is the most powerful evil that is actually on Azeroth, and that he will be the co-focus of the next expansion, along with Azshara.
Mmmm I would see another one, the one that is corrupting the Bronze Dragonflight into the Infinite, unless it's also N zoth.

Quote:
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 AM

Priestess of the Moon

If the emerald dream is N'zoths mind, it does create an interesting scenario with the aspects as Lon has often said. In that they are the gatekeepers for each individual old gods sphere of influence.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schro View Post
If the emerald dream is N'zoths mind, it does create an interesting scenario with the aspects as Lon has often said. In that they are the gatekeepers for each individual old gods sphere of influence.
!It's kinda complicated at this point, since we don't have enough information on another world.

It was rumored that Draenor had an emerald dream too, so that would mean that titans were using OG's power on everyworld which is kinda weird, but since we don't have any more information it's kinda weird at this point to try to understand anything

Quote: