Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 02:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Default Warcraft III: Reforged

It's official and it looks amazing.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I remember feeling kind of disappointed with Warcraft 3 in the early days, but I loved Frozen Throne. That said, I think this is one of the things I'm actually super pumped to play, I wonder if going back through the campaign again will feel different after all these years. Whats really scary though is how out of sink with the world post WoW Warcraft 3 will feel. So much of that world and story has been changed and retconned. Can't help but feel like people who got into Warcraft through WoW will feel seeing those janky not at all accurate maps and what not.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:05 PM

Keeper of the Grove

I really hope they continue support on this beyond just the remaster and some legacy balancing.

They're upping the engine, bringing back voice actors, redoing all the cinematics, doing actual character lip syncing, adding skins...

Once they complete this, they have the team and infrastructure for more content. If there's anything I actually want more than just this release, it's another expansion. They have so much material between War3 and WoW to work with. So many potential creeps from WoW that could be inserted.

At the very least, I want what they're doing with SC2 Co-op commanders. If they package a new commander + Alternate Hero skin, I'd be all over it.

And honestly, seeing this is a revamped version of the WC3 editor rather than the SC2 editor, I'm really considering jumping back into modding.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Eternal

This seems really cool and I'm looking forward to it. It'd be killer if they could add maybe a campaign or two somehow, but I'm not holding my breath yet. Only thing that gives me pause is the voice acting since I see they've replaced Arthas' original voice actor with the newer one and I'm not digging that, especially since they'll likely change Sylvanas, Illidan, and whoever else had their voice actors replaced in WoW. And I really hate the post Warcraft 3 actress for Sylvanas.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:24 PM

Eternal

Crossing my finger they surprise us with a functioning Naga race come Frozen Throne. Some tidbits in the current world editor kinda suggests they tried to make them playable.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:03 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Looks really good. Pity I suck at RTS games.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Can't help but feel like people who got into Warcraft through WoW will feel seeing those janky not at all accurate maps and what not.
https://de.wowhead.com/news=288375/w...panel-liveblog

Quote:
The Stratholme map was updated to reflect its vision in World of Warcraft. Arthas and his warriors now storm Stratholme from its south entrance, like in the Caverns of Time version.
https://www.polygon.com/blizzcon/201...ility-blizzcon

Quote:
Blizzard is also promising to “reforge” the game’s cinematic cutscenes, and will tweak portions of the game to fall in line with the past decade and a half of lore established by World of Warcraft.

Writer Christie Golden, who has worked with Blizzard on multiple novels set in the Warcraft universe over the past two decades, is helping to bring “parity” to the stories of Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft, which will require retconning some of the strategy game’s story. Those changes will bring “renewed focus to a few central characters that we thought deserved a little bit more time in the limelight,” Stillwell said.
So expect some tweeks.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Wonder if they will do things with all the races they had in Northrend like the giant penguins and furry scorpions that never made it into WoW and replace them with Tuskar and Vrykul. I’m actually looking forward to this even more not as a direct reboot, but an update to make the world more cohesive
Old 11-03-2018, 07:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I don't like the aesthetics too much... They've strayed a bit too far from the original cartoonish Blizzard aesthetic, like the ones found in WoW and HotS. I don't like this strange fusion where bodies and shapes are still cartoony, but textures are going a much more realistic route. Feels really off.

They already remastered some models for usage in SC2, with more than few questionable changes. I feel like they didn't respect the originals enough back then, and I fear it's going to get worse now.

I'm also deeply disappointed that it's just a remaster, with nothing new. A new campaign and new units (almost like an expansion) should be mandatory, yet we're getting none of that, specially because all four armies lack additional cavalry and siege engines.

For some ideas on potential Warcraft III expansions, check this thread.

I wonder if the new World Editor is a remaster of W3's, or the whole title was rebuilt using the SC2 engine. This is an important point, because W3's is one of history's best editors, while SC2's is an absolute garbage. Most of SC2 was utter cancer regarding custom maps and mods, to be fair, and it was all Blizzard's fault for pushing retarded monetization ideas.

I'm disappointed this isn't a remake instead of a remaster, I feel like that's going to hurt more than help. The "Blizzard can only live from the past" meme has gotten very real with this BlizzCon. They could have made a whole new game here, covering the events of the whole trilogy, adapting the campaign stories instead of just remastering them.

Or hell, move away from W3 altogether, call it W4, and cover WoW stories in another angle, like an alternate universe.

I love this news, but I lost my trust in Blizzard very, very long ago. I hope it succeeds, because it could lead to a reinvigorated RTS scene, but I don't think I'll be touching it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
And honestly, seeing this is a revamped version of the WC3 editor rather than the SC2 editor, I'm really considering jumping back into modding.
Has this been 100% confirmed? I fear what kind of upgrades they could have done to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Crossing my finger they surprise us with a functioning Naga race come Frozen Throne. Some tidbits in the current world editor kinda suggests they tried to make them playable.
I think the game needs some kind of race customization system, so for example, you can take humans, and turn them into blood elves, with minor or no gameplay changes at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Wonder if they will do things with all the races they had in Northrend like the giant penguins and furry scorpions that never made it into WoW and replace them with Tuskar and Vrykul. I’m actually looking forward to this even more not as a direct reboot, but an update to make the world more cohesive
I hope they don't, why can't they leave the old stuff alone? Make a new campaign instead of retconning everything .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 11-03-2018 at 07:47 AM..
Old 11-03-2018, 08:47 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I don't like the aesthetics too much... They've strayed a bit too far from the original cartoonish Blizzard aesthetic, like the ones found in WoW and HotS. I don't like this strange fusion where bodies and shapes are still cartoony, but textures are going a much more realistic route. Feels really off.
Yeah, same reason I'm not too fond of the style either.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Old 11-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Yeah, same reason I'm not too fond of the style either.
I've seen it compared to Fornite. That would explain lot of things.

What the fuck are you thinking when you make a remaster and cater its style to kids who never played the original?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Holy shit the UI looks awful! One of W3's original UI problems was the lack of space, which led to mandatory submenus and stuff like that, and now there's EVEN LESS space? What the flying fuck?

I'm kinda sad all units look the same, it's 2018, they can bother adding some minor variation among them. I'm not even asking for different weapons and armor, things like different hair colors would suffice.

The ground texture looks awful too. I understand this is a remaster, but you can't upgrade models so much, and then stick to the 2d low quality ground.

Many "bad" controls from W3 are here too. No zoom, mouse wheel rotates to ground level instead (useless), groups are still 12 units max, and so are key groups, and I could go on and on. They need to update controls to SC2 levels, or this will backfire like crazy.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 11-03-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Old 11-03-2018, 10:30 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
I've seen it compared to Fornite. That would explain lot of things.

What the fuck are you thinking when you make a remaster and cater its style to kids who never played the original?
Blizzard is always trying to expand their audience.

They've always preferred pleasing new players over honoring old ones.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:13 AM

Eternal

I'm extremely hyped for the new geography and features this will have. We've seen that they've updated Stratholme to how it actually looks, so imagine Dalaran, Lordaeron, Azjol-Nerub, Icecrown Citadel, the Black Temple, Hyjal, and Silvermoon! I hope they add the Sunwell properly on its own island. They could also feature the Dead Scar growing as the Scourge marches forward.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:00 AM

Eternal

Quote:
That is exactly how the cinematics have always looked, up from Warcraft II. Realistic, yet with a bit fantastical proportions for armor and creatures/people. And since the technology now allows them to make the graphics resemble cinematics more, they are going with it. I certainly welcome it, there is no reason to stay in the past and remain with a goofy cartoony style when the technology no longer requires it.

Quote:
Speak for yourself, thank you very much. I, for one, have always wanted the game to look more similar to cinematics and seen the cartoony style as a necessary evil of technical limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post

Having watched the panel, it is pretty clear they want to appease the core playerbase, you just can't please everybody. Though naturally, they also want new players, you always want new players.

-------------------

Anyway, the voice acting is going to be re-recorded, and for a simple reason. They want to expand upon what they have, adding more to the missions, and if there is enough demand down the road, even add more story content (campaigns, mini-expansions, etc), and that would be nigh impossible without this.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post

New players won't care if it's just a remastered old game.

Still think they should have made Warcraft 4, a spinoff, or a remake instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
That is exactly how the cinematics have always looked, up from Warcraft II. Realistic, yet with a bit fantastical proportions for armor and creatures/people. And since the technology now allows them to make the graphics resemble cinematics more, they are going with it. I certainly welcome it, there is no reason to stay in the past and remain with a goofy cartoony style when the technology no longer requires it.

Speak for yourself, thank you very much. I, for one, have always wanted the game to look more similar to cinematics and seen the cartoony style as a necessary evil of technical limitations.
What cinematic? Mists of Pandaria's?

The realistic textures look awful on top of the unrealistic models. Just look at Arthas' face, it's bordering on uncanny valley, for fuck's sake.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:
What cinematic? Mists of Pandaria's?

The realistic textures look awful on top of the unrealistic models. Just look at Arthas' face, it's bordering on uncanny valley, for fuck's sake.
The cinematics. All of them. Including those of Warcraft III. They had photorealistic lightning, but the creatures, armor, and so on was unrealistic.

The footman model is now far more closer to the original 1996 artwork than the actual Warcraft III model ever was.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Druid of the Talon

What a coincidence that I have been working for several months in the Warcraft 3 comicbook for nostalgia and now they remake the videogame XDD

Old 11-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm disappointed they did not remake the whole trilogy.

Warcraft III is the only one that was still playable this day.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembei View Post
What a coincidence that I have been working for several months in the Warcraft 3 comicbook for nostalgia and now they remake the videogame XDD

Looking good, let us know here when it's finished
Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 PM

Echo of the Past

Now you can play through Arthas's story knowing that Muradin isn't really sacrificed, and Mal'ganis isn't really betrayed/killed by Ner'zhul.

EDIT: But seriously, I wonder what the odds are of getting a Gryphon Rider on more missions...

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 11-04-2018 at 10:50 PM..
Old 11-04-2018, 11:15 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Now you can play through Arthas's story knowing that Muradin isn't really sacrificed, and Mal'ganis isn't really betrayed/killed by Ner'zhul.

EDIT: But seriously, I wonder what the odds are of getting a Gryphon Rider on more missions...
Also, hopefully a backstory for the Stromgarde Brigade in the Orc mission.

Another interesting mission would the one where Tyrande and Malfurion assist Kael in evacuating Pyrewood. Cameo from the Northgate rebels perhaps?

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:05 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Another interesting mission would the one where Tyrande and Malfurion assist Kael in evacuating Pyrewood. Cameo from the Northgate rebels perhaps?
Possible. There is a Scarlet Crusader "cameo" already, when purging Stratholme with Arthas, you get attacked with red colored Stratholme militia near the area of the Silver Hand Bastion. And they have cross symbols on their shields, which is a nice nod to Warcraft I/II.

Also, both the bastion and Alonsus Chapel are present in the map.

Anyway, we already talked about this on discord, but apparently, Kul Tiras units in the Rexxar campaign (and probably the other missions they appear in) will have their own skins/appearances inspired by their Battle for Azeroth aesthetic. Also, Mark Addy will apparently voice Daelin as well (since his Daelin in BfA blew the original one out of water, great).
Old 11-05-2018, 06:50 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Possible. There is a Scarlet Crusader "cameo" already, when purging Stratholme with Arthas, you get attacked with red colored Stratholme militia near the area of the Silver Hand Bastion. And they have cross symbols on their shields, which is a nice nod to Warcraft I/II.

Also, both the bastion and Alonsus Chapel are present in the map.

Anyway, we already talked about this on discord, but apparently, Kul Tiras units in the Rexxar campaign (and probably the other missions they appear in) will have their own skins/appearances inspired by their Battle for Azeroth aesthetic. Also, Mark Addy will apparently voice Daelin as well (since his Daelin in BfA blew the original one out of water, great).
I wonder if "Rend" and "Maim" will be retitled.

Hmm. I wonder if the naval battles in Frozen Throne will be retooled (including the Outland ones), or if they'll be eliminated. But man... can you imagine a separate naval tech tree for the four factions (or five, with Naga) as distinct as the land and air tech trees are?

I'm just dreaming. It won't happen; no demand for it. But right now, I'm probably not going to buy this - just because I don't buy many games anymore. If they make the naval trees distinct and sexy, though, I totally would.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Looking good, let us know here when it's finished
Thanks! I will do so. In a few weeks, I'll upload several pages of the comicbook project

Tags
rts, warcraft 3