Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Elune

Default The Secret World

Get hype.

Last edited by Drusus; 12-09-2014 at 08:34 AM..
Old 05-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I've been contemplating getting Secret World, despite by generally shying away from mmo-games for the last while.

It looks like it's done a lot of neat things.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I've been contemplating getting Secret World, despite by generally shying away from mmo-games for the last while.

It looks like it's done a lot of neat things.
Do it. Even if you just go through the 1.0 content alone without purchasing the other mission packs (which you need to be in high-end gear to do anyway) it's well worth it being B2P.

The lore is exceptional, and it's very much the type of game you can slowly progress through without feeling much pressure.

Join Templars or I break your kneecaps.

Also, have a preview comic.

Last edited by Drusus; 05-06-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

I have the game but I haven't been playing it lately unless its to get all the event stuff.

I'm still waiting for that last lore of the whispering tide.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Banished

I'm pretty pissed off at not being able to play this actually I even tried to find it here but to no avail.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Elune

I need to start playing again and finish 1.0. I loved it so much and just keep getting busy.

To many MMO's.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I may actually buy it right now. Have been itching for a game with a good storyline.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Do it. Even if you just go through the 1.0 content alone without purchasing the other mission packs (which you need to be in high-end gear to do anyway) it's well worth it being B2P.

The lore is exception, and it's very much the type of game you can slowly progress through without feeling much pressure.

What he said. I had just started playing again with my wife (we just entered the City of the Sun God), and this game is profoundly unique and captivating, story-wise, ESPECIALLY the Investigation missions.

Also, what he said in spoiler. The others are self-serving sociopaths. WE are standing against the rising darkness. WE are the shield of the innocent and the blind. WE stand above mankind as the wolf protecting his cubs. WE. ARE. The Templars.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Banished

...and also being played like pianos by the Dragon too.

If I could play i'd go Illuminati because *points at current avatar*
Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:

The lore is exception, and it's very much the type of game you can slowly progress through without feeling much pressure.

Even a cursory examination of the factions pointed me towards the Templars, so no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Elune

I will say that the game gives a terrible first impression. A lot of people I've talked into playing/others go through the first hour or so and hate it, but love it by the time they're finishing off the first zone. Keep in that in mind. Unlike most MMO's it remains pretty consistently excellent throughout, rather than bombarding you with all the best bits at the start. Its introduction period is actually pretty awful because it doesn't open up and show off its shiny bits to you properly until a good way into Kingsmouth Town.

Last edited by Drusus; 05-06-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
I will say that the game gives a terrible first impression. A lot of people I've talked into playing/others go through the first hour or so and hate it, but love it by the time they're finishing off the first zone. Keep in that in mind. Unlike most MMO's it remains pretty consistently excellent throughout, rather than bombarding you with all the best bits at the start. Its introduction period is actually pretty awful because it doesn't open up and show off its shiny bits to you properly until a good way into Kingsmouth Town.
Sempai, teach me your wisdom of the secret world! Hail the templars.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Sempai, teach me your wisdom of the secret world! Hail the templars.

There's an in-game Google browser. Expect to be using it a lot BUT do not use it just for walkthroughs. The browser is there to save you alt-tabbing when doing out-of-game research. One mission's next step might be relevant to a bible passage, one needs Morse code, etc. Many of the missions require you to actually investigate things and thus just looking up a guide defeats the experience. It's not the type of MMO where things just blatantly 'flash' up when you find them either. The most obscure piece of scenery in the gameworld - no matter how minor the doodad is - may infact be relevant to the mission, even if it didn't flash yellow when you get close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagara View Post
What he said. I had just started playing again with my wife (we just entered the City of the Sun God), and this game is profoundly unique and captivating, story-wise, ESPECIALLY the Investigation missions
City of the Sun God was definitely the weakest zone in the game for me. It didn't help a lot of the missions are horribly scaled for that item level and need you to come back. Romania more than makes up for it through. Besieged Farmlands beat even Kingsmouth Town.

Last edited by Drusus; 05-06-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Banished

t.t

the worse is that the game wiki is messy and I cant even properly get the lore of the game.

I want a Illuminaughty t.t
Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Eternal Watcher

I try to avoid walkthroughs. I was more thinking of skill choices and such. Any site with some good info and tips?

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

Back when I started playing, I found the following starter guide on another forum (and I think it's available on the SW forums as well), but in case you just want to have an easy reference point for this info, just remember: Everything is true.

- The new Starter Decks added a few months back are a very good way to spend your first ability points. Unlike the Faction Decks which you can gather later, these are actually reasonable builds, many based on designs suggested by the community. When you start out, open the Ability tab (default key N) and check the Deck tab to the left. The starter decks have a good description of how they work and what they're usable for, pick one that you like and spend your points there until you have a good grasp of the mechanics and can make your own builds.

- AoE attacks are a very nice convenience in Kingsmouth. The area is swarming with packs of zombies, and while you can get by with only single target attacks, combat will take a lot of time and the zombies will be dangerous. Check out the descriptions of the starter decks. If you're not following a deck slavishly, Hammer, Blade, Fists, Chaos, Shotgun and Assault Rifle all have easily available AoE attacks. Pistol, Blood and Elemental have chain attacks, which you only get towards the bottom of the inner circle trees.

- Get your second weapon early. The fastest way to get it is to simply step back into the Dojang/Test Area/Crucible when you exit after having picked your first weapon. You can then pick up another QL0 weapon. Remember to save an AP or two so you can get a consumer for it - the first rule of combat is to have one (non-heal) resource builder attack, and one resource consumer for each of your two weapons. Other ways to get weapons are at the Occult Arms Dealer vendor in London, or early missions in Kingsmouth (the mission from Boone at the Agartha entrance and a box mission by Moose at the Sherrif's Office).

- Head over to Kingsmouth Memorial Church and talk to Father Henry Hawthorne to try out the first of the awesome Investigation missions (The Kingsmouth Code and the followup Digging Deeper from Issue #2).

FURTHER READING

If you decide to sign up and play for a while, I recommend checking out Yokai and Sarcan's TSW Guides and FAQ at http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com. Lots of useful info, especially the Philosophy on Weapon Choices and Talisman Mechanics guides.

ORIGINAL POST

This is the first draft of a little guide I wrote about how to get the most out of a Secret World trial. It's a lot longer than I thought it would be, so any feedback on wether I should trim it and maybe what to trim would be appreciated. Any other feedback also welcome, of course. Especially if you've never played the game, I'm not writing this for veteran Secret Worlders!

Quote:
TLDR summary: 1) Make sure you have two weapons. 2) One of them should have an AoE attack among the 1 ability point attacks. 3) Go to the Sherrif's Office in Kingsmouth, get a mission from Deputy Andy, pick up the Severed Arm at the end of that mission. Then, go to the Kingsmouth Congregational Church to get The Kingsmouth Code from Henry Hawthorne.
The Secret World is a great game. The fact that it's classless and how the mission system works gives you a great deal of freedom, but that also means freedom to screw up. I've written this little guide in hope that I can help people avoid a couple of easy blunders with combat, and also show how you get the most out of the mission system while leading you to the first Investigation mission. The Investigation missions are awesome, and are one of the highlights of the game. Don't wait for hours into the trial before you try one!

The first step is to sign up for the trial. You do that at http://www.thesecretworld.com. There's a sidebar called Sign Up for the Trial! on the right side, below the "Now Available!" add. I haven't personally played the trial, but I'm told it's only limited in time, not content. You're on your own here for a bit. Go download and install it.

Done? Right, the first thing you do is to select which faction you want to represent. It determines your starting city (New York for the Illuminati, London for the Templars and Seoul for the Dragons). After a short intro to your faction and a couple of tutorial missions you'll be sent to Kingsmouth in New England no matter what faction you choose, so it's not an important choice right now. Grab the one you think is coolest.

After having selected a faction and designed your character there's a video that shows how you became an immortal demigod. Then you get recruited by your faction and told to travel to their city. After following instructions and running around a bit you will play the tutorial mission, a flashback to a "terrorist" attack in Tokyo. Needless to say these terrorists are supernatural creatures. After that you get to talk to your handler, and then you're sent off to the "second tutorial", a session in a training area where you can try out the various weapons available before selecting one to be your starting weapon. This area is called the Test Area (Illuminati), the Crucible (Templars) or the Dojang (Dragons).Every time you pick up a new weapon your ability points are refunded, so feel free to open your ability wheel and look at some of the ones that are available. When you leave any ability points will be set and can't be refunded anymore, so I recommend that you reset one last time before you leave. You might want to read more about weapons before spending those points.

COMBAT IN A WORLD WHERE EVERYTHING IS TRUE

Now we come to the meat of this guide, how to avoid a couple of pitfalls in early combat. After having picked a weapon you will have two active abilities and one passive, as well as two ability points you can use to buy one or two more. The important things to cover in your early build is, first, to have two weapons with a consumer ability for each, and second, to be able to handle packs of monsters.

The fundamentals of the combat system works like Combo Points (and all the spinoffs) in WoW. You have several abilities that builds points (called resources) and then you have abilities that spend them. The wrinkle is that all non-healing builders build points for both your equipped weapons, meaning that you get to use two big consumer attacks for every builder cycle - if you wield two weapons. So if you neglect to pick up that second weapon, combat will be unneccesarily hard.

There are three ways to pick up an extra weapon early. The first is to reenter the training area and pick up another weapon. The refunds on ability points are only available when you select your initial weapon, so don't buy any abilities yet. These starting weapons are all QL0, so you'll replace them pretty quickly. The first mission you pick up in Kingsmouth will award you a QL1 weapon of your choice at completion, and at that point you will be at the Kingsmouth Sherrif's Office where you can do a quick crafting tutorial mission. This rewards you with a "QL0.5" weapon that you build yourself. I recommend you pick your main weapon as the QL1 award and build yourself a secondary weapon.

The second important thing in early combat is to have the right abilities to take down the packs of zombies you'll be facing from the moment you enter Kingsmouth and as long as you stay on Solomon Island. Mobs come in two general types, normal mobs (marked with a circle next to their name) and packs (marked with three small circles). You will often fight two or three normal mobs at a time, but they are generally not linked and you can isolate them. Pack mobs are always linked, so if one attacks they all attack. Individually they don't do much damage and don't have much health, but if you only have single target attacks it will take some time to chew through them and you'll take a lot of damage doing it. Kingsmouth is crawling with zombie packs so make sure you have an aoe ability of some kind ready when you step out from Agartha.

There are three kinds of aoe attacks in the Secret World, and each weapon will generally specialize in one of them. Here's a short description of each category, as well as a list of which weapons use it and the early abilities of that type:

Quote:
FRENZY
You target an enemy and hit everything around it. Comes in two general types, PBAoE which hits everything around you and TAoE which are ranged and hit everything around the enemy. Blades and Chaos use PBAoE while Assault Rifles use TAoE.
Blade: Balanced Blade (consumer) and Blade Torrent (builder)
Chaos: Escalation (builder)
Assault Rifle: Fire at Will (consumer)
Quote:
BLAST
A cone attack, generally 60 degrees and 7 meters in front of you. A bit tricker to use against zombies that like to surround you, but nothing a bit of backpedaling can't cure. The frontloaded consumers of melee weapons work especially well as Blasts against zombies.
Fist: Hog Wild (consumer)
Hammer: Hell to Pay (consumer)
Shotgun: Pump Action (builder) - lacks the Blast keyword, but behaves like a blast.
Quote:
CHAIN
Chain attacks are like Chain Lightning in WoW, as you would expect. You target an enemy, and the attack jumps to up to four other enemies. The problem with Chains early in the game is simply that they're not available. You need to spend a minimum of 6 ability points to unlock the Blood and Elementalism attacks, and 12 to unlock the Pistol attack. That's a lot of zombies to wade through with single target attacks. Pistols have a GTAoE (ground targeted aoe - hold ctrl to make it into a straight TAoE) available for cheap, Above the Law, but it has a 15 second cooldown and won't oneshot anything.
Blood: Infection (consumer)
Elementalism: Electrical Storm (consumer)
Pistol: Wanted (consumer)

Quick tip: If you select one of the Blast or Frenzy weapons as a first weapon you won't have to worry about a second weapon until you reach the Sherrif's Office. But if you're dead set on running a Pistol/Elementalism build it's no biggie - simply go back into the training area to pick up another weapon with a decent aoe available early, and use that until you can unlock one of the Chain attacks. Don't spend more ability points on the third weapon than you need to unlock the aoe.

Pro tip: If you don't care about what weapon is the coolest, grab Blades. You'll go through the zombies like a Kiwi with a lawnmower.

RUNNING MISSIONS FOR FUN AND PROFIT

Missions in the Secret World are a bit like auto-updating quest chains in WoW. The quest chain in Blackrock Descent is a good analogy. They are split into four types, with Main Missions split into a further three. Story and Dungeon missions are pretty obvious, you pick up a Dungeon mission when it's available and you're heading into a dungeon, and the Story missions lead you through the game and tell the story of the zone.

Most of the missions will be main missions and side missions, often called box missions. All main missions will either end up at a mission NPC, or there will be a box mission nearby which leads you to one. Box missions are short missions that often work as breadcrumbs. If you finish a main mission and can't see any new ones nearby, look around a bit. There's a box mission within 50 meters somewhere. You're of course always free to just run to a different mission NPC, they're all marked on the map. But you're almost never forced to "run back to the hub".

Your first missions

The aim of this part of the guide is to lead you to the first Investigation Mission, the Kingsmouth Code. Investigation missions are puzzles that often ask you to use the built in webbrowser to solve them, and I'm not talking about mission guides. The information you need will be find on the net, often on Wikipedia and sometimes on websites Funcom has set up specifically for the game, which are made to look like proper websites for companies and organizations that only exist in-game. So how do you get this mission?

When you step into Kingsmouth from Agartha, you'll meet a guy named Boone. A cutscene will play and your Story mission will update. After that you'll be asked to pick up Boone's mission, For a Fistful of Zombies. Go ahead, you got zombies to put down. When you're nearing the end of this mission you'll come upon your first box mission. Policeman's corpse gives you the mission Bullets for Andy. Pick up the bullets from the truck, but don't run and deliver them just yet. Mouse over your active mission on the right side of the screen. This just updated to Bullets for Andy, but you want to change it back to For a Fistful of Zombies. Finish Fistful and then go to the Sherrif's Office. You'll be rewarded with a QL1 weapon of your choice.

Go further into the compound, but instead of going inside or going to the roof to find Andy, do the box mission next to Moose, the guy working at a bench beside the office. The mission is called Zen and the Art of Weapon Maintaince. It's the crafting tutorial mission, and rewards you with another weapon. Now, go up the stairs and complete Bullets for Andy, and then grab Elm Street Blues from Deputy Andy. Be sure to watch the cutscene, it's very good.

Before you head out to do Elm Street Blues, head inside the building. You'll meet the Sherrif, Helen Bannerman, another cutscene will play and you'll update your Story Mission. You might want to grab the box mission Missing Persons from the Missing Persons List, it's some bonus xp you can pick up while you run around Kingsmouth. Now do Elm Street Blues.

After you've completed that you'll be down at the harbor and have a gas station on your right hand. Run past it to a broken down truck (an ice truck?) and grab the box mission Tomb Raider from the Severed Hand. This leads you to the cemetary behind Kingsmouth Congregational Church. After you've found the right grave and completed the mission you get a spiffy new hat, and you can now head inside the church and pick up the Kingsmouth Code from Henry Hawthorne. Feel free to snigger at him, especially if you're Illuminati.

And that's it! I won't say anything about how you solve the Kingsmouth Code, because that would spoil the fun! After you've completed that you should have a good idea of wether or not The Secret World is the game for you or not. You've seen the ambience of Kingsmouth and can decide wether it's great or just grey and boring, and you've tried out the first of the Investigation missions. You may think combat is a bit boring and limited, even if they introduce "don't stand in the fire" mechanics as early as the Draugr down at the harbor. Unfortunatly the combat system doesn't come into it's own until Transylvania, and you won't get there if you don't enjoy the game for other reasons. It's still an actual challenge to survive, but somebody with raiding experience should be able to handle the mechanics the mobs have.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Elune

I still have the Guardians of Gaia bags to sell... It's kinda annoying that I can't seem to find a buyer...
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Elune

Old 05-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
The secret world and the Lord of the rings online are two good opposite examples on quest can be done good.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Ah, I really miss TSW...loved that game. Sadly the horrendous amount of bugs (lamentably typical of Funcom, AoC was plagued similarly inspite of being a great game) and lack of real endgame progression caused me to unsub back when it was still sub-based.

I'd reached max level, had unlocked about 75-80% of all abilities (through constant grinding of the same quests each day - yawn), and played most of the hard mode dungeons that weren't so broken you couldn't play them.

The dungeons were great, as always with Funcom - when they weren't inherently broken, again.

Also there was no raid content except for the outdoor elite zones that yielded little to no reward at the time.

I might check back in before WoD after I got my new system, my GF and I miss the atmosphere and the world.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Ah, I really miss TSW...loved that game. Sadly the horrendous amount of bugs (lamentably typical of Funcom, AoC was plagued similarly inspite of being a great game) and lack of real endgame progression caused me to unsub back when it was still sub-based.

I'd reached max level, had unlocked about 75-80% of all abilities (through constant grinding of the same quests each day - yawn), and played most of the hard mode dungeons that weren't so broken you couldn't play them.

The dungeons were great, as always with Funcom - when they weren't inherently broken, again.

Also there was no raid content except for the outdoor elite zones that yielded little to no reward at the time.

I might check back in before WoD after I got my new system, my GF and I miss the atmosphere and the world.
Meh I don't remember any nightmare dungeon bugs.

There is a single raid, should be another in one of the tokyo issues.

Outdoor elite zones gives signets (non-glyph enchants) and a lot of stuff related to auxiliary weapons.

Nowadays everything is about auguments(which is ability enhancements), but those require a fucknasty grind to level from the base.

EDIT:
Quote:
t.t

the worse is that the game wiki is messy and I cant even properly get the lore of the game.

I want a Illuminaughty t.t

I tried improving it but its too hard to do alone.

You can check what I did wit the Zombie page

Last edited by Ashendant; 05-06-2014 at 04:27 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Meh I don't remember any nightmare dungeon bugs.

There is a single raid, should be another in one of the tokyo issues.

Outdoor elite zones gives signets (non-glyph enchants) and a lot of stuff related to auxiliary weapons.

Nowadays everything is about auguments(which is ability enhancements), but those require a fucknasty grind to level from the base.

EDIT:

I tried improving it but its too hard to do alone.

You can check what I did wit the Zombie page
I remember at least half of the bosses in NM dungeons having potentially game-breaking glitches/bugs. Most of them didn't occur everytime, but when they did you basically had no choice but to abort and try the whole dungeon again. This was about 2-4 weeks after release if I remember correctly.

I heard they added a raid in the meantime. The signet farming just didn't appeal to me much, I'd already had enough mindless grind after the long haul to unlock all skill paths I wanted.

I'll give it a look again soon.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 AM

Eternal Watcher

I... I... I think I'm in love with this game.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Good, Yaskaleh-chan, gooood...

How far in are you?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
It's awesome, especially when playing with someone on a voice-tool =)
Probably the best MMO out there in terms of world immersion/quest design.

Tags
eye of kilrog, mmos