Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Possibly even the recreation of cerebrates in order for her to retain her sanity in the face such an immense change from singular minded creature to the burden of a whole race's pain, anguish, and brutality.
Given their seeming evolving role as a sort of "core unit" for one's entire Zerg camp that's supposed to grow in strength along with the whole nest, the impression seems to be that the new Queens may be Blizz's mysterious replacements for Cerebrates as intermediaries between Kerrigan and the Swarm. Their similarity to her in appearance also lends weight to the idea: their concept art in particular gives the impression that their lower body shares a similar "webbed skin" look with that of the original Queen unit, while the upper body bears a vaguely humanoid appearance and even have what resemble Kerrigan's own jointed, insectoid "dreadlocks" that replaced her hair.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Lol Old Gods invade Koprulu Sector!

ThisIsMadness.com

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
While the text she's reading indeed is poor, you also have to remember that they likely haven't edited the sound fully at this point. Sound editing is one of the last things to be done for the game.

It's the same voice actor, but her voice isn't yet fully processed.

Thanks for raising my hopes at good voice acting in Starcraft 2, Blizzard has been lacking in that department for some time.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Thanks for raising my hopes at good voice acting in Starcraft 2, Blizzard has been lacking in that department for some time.
While I don't mind Kerrigan's voice as much in this one, I think some of her lines do need a little bit of changing. "Empires... will fall!" Oh please. That one's so overused.
Though yeah in general voice acting in Blizzard recently could use with a bit of an upgrade.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

1) Queen unit is what it was always intended to be in the original StarCraft manual. A base management type unit that is a stage above the overlords, a stage below the cerebrates.
2) That's the queen unit's voice (I think) not Kerrigan.
3) Even if it's not, it's only a temp because they already brought in Glynnis Talken to voice Kerrigan, and all but confirmed that she'd be returning. (And I don't think that's Talken, doesn't really sound a thing like her...)
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
1) Queen unit is what it was always intended to be in the original StarCraft manual. A base management type unit that is a stage above the overlords, a stage below the cerebrates.
Remember though, in SC1 the Queen was a unit like any other in that she was upgraded through building her own special building and researching (i.e. evolving) new techs. Whereas the new representation of the Queen unit seems very closely tied to the Hatchery itself and increases in strength in tandem with each new tier of development, essentially causing the unit to grow in strength and versatility parallel to the whole Zerg base doing so, rather than having players choose whether to upgrade the Queen or spend resources on other units instead. Plus, at the moment there seems to be only one Queen unit allowable for a player at a given time and its purpose includes being sped to distant nodes to provide emergency assistance of the sort that only the one Queen can provide against attacks.

Blasphemous as it may be to the most diehard of SC fans, the SC2 Queen seems to be at least marginally moved toward serving a similar purpose to that of the Commander units in Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander: providing a unique defensive boost to any given skirmish and being able to dynamically "construct" what pretty much amount to static defenses on the creep. Only allowing for one probably means that it'll be at least fairly durable to allow the player to keep their Queen alive in direct battles (the original queen was basically a sitting ducjk against direct fire as lacked any real means of self-defense and direct attack beyond its "spells"). If it isn't reasonably survivable, being only allowed one of them at a time, people will be inclined to just bury it as far as possible behind their defenses like a named hero unit and never utilize the Queen's abilities against their oppponents for fear of having to spend the resources to create another one if it dies.

Last edited by ARM3481; 03-12-2008 at 11:44 PM..
Old 03-13-2008, 09:33 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
2) That's the queen unit's voice (I think) not Kerrigan.
It can't be a queen. Blizzard wouldn't pick it a voice so similar to Kerrigan's. They would know it'd just confuse the hell out of people.

I do look forward to having other intelligent Zerg units than just Kerrigan, though (expecting the new queens are intelligent).

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:55 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellah View Post
It can't be a queen. Blizzard wouldn't pick it a voice so similar to Kerrigan's. They would know it'd just confuse the hell out of people.

I do look forward to having other intelligent Zerg units than just Kerrigan, though (expecting the new queens are intelligent).
Are you honestly saying there's something Blizzard wouldn't do?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuber8900 View Post
Are you honestly saying there's something Blizzard wouldn't do?
I am.

Example: Making RP servers in WoW have somehow different rules or game mechanics from other ones.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
emember though, in SC1 the Queen was a unit like any other in that she was upgraded through building her own special building and researching (i.e. evolving) new techs. Whereas the new representation of the Queen unit seems very closely tied to the Hatchery itself and increases in strength in tandem with each new tier of development, essentially causing the unit to grow in strength and versatility parallel to the whole Zerg base doing so, rather than having players choose whether to upgrade the Queen or spend resources on other units instead. Plus, at the moment there seems to be only one Queen unit allowable for a player at a given time and its purpose includes being sped to distant nodes to provide emergency assistance of the sort that only the one Queen can provide against attacks.
The lair and hive allow you to upgrade her, from what I hear. She doesn't automatically upgrade with them, and if she dies you start all over again.

I was actually talking about the lore, though. In SC1 they mentioned all this stuff about her being a hive warden and a stage above the overlords... and in-game she was just an aerial spellcaster.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I was actually talking about the lore, though. In SC1 they mentioned all this stuff about her being a hive warden and a stage above the overlords... and in-game she was just an aerial spellcaster.
What Blizzard did to associate the Queen with her Lore background was to give that ability that kills an enemy unit and spawns 2 bugs. They were keeping it simple for the sake of gameplay.

But when i played it for the first time, i was satisfied. It was the first thing i did with her.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas