Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Default The game is afoot

So I'm making a new campaign of sorts. It'll be a singleplayer campaign and it'll feature well known characters.

In a way it is an else worlds sort of thing, but it fits into the plot of WarCraft fairly well. It contradicts it completely, but that's why it's an elseworlds.

I don't want to say what the plot is or anything yet, because I'm still not ENTIRELY sure. I'm mostly making this topic to commit myself so I don't chicken out and quit like I usually do.

Now lesse where this goes.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Hope you manage to get it done; I always seem to abandon mine halfway through.
If you manage to get game cache to work I hope you don't mind if I check it out; I never fully mastered that. Drop us some bait in regards to what its about as soon as you have it planned it out.
One of the only campaigns I finished was about a faction of blood elves who had remained on Azeroth (back we didn't know anything about blood elves on Azeroth, this way way back). They basically went to Stormwind's provinces to find the 'Full Moon Portal' described in the Warcraft 1 manual, so they can use it to find a new world of their own to start anew.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Hope you manage to get it done; I always seem to abandon mine halfway through.
If you manage to get game cache to work I hope you don't mind if I check it out; I never fully mastered that. Drop us some bait in regards to what its about as soon as you have it planned it out.
One of the only campaigns I finished was about a faction of blood elves who had remained on Azeroth (back we didn't know anything about blood elves on Azeroth, this way way back). They basically went to Stormwind's provinces to find the 'Full Moon Portal' described in the Warcraft 1 manual, so they can use it to find a new world of their own to start anew.
It's not so hard. I can say I learned near everything about the editor playing with it. I only learned from others minor details about external programs.

The game cache is simple: You choose something to save, and the you choose a folder.

To load it, just search the folder and make it load.

WTF? Need to check my W1 Manual to see that full moon portal. (Duskwood?)

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Do you have WinMPQ, Tim?

If you ahem... look in some of Blizzard's maps, or even if you download the demo maps, you can just copy and paste the trigger from there.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
It's not so hard. I can say I learned near everything about the editor playing with it. I only learned from others minor details about external programs.

The game cache is simple: You choose something to save, and the you choose a folder.

To load it, just search the folder and make it load.

WTF? Need to check my W1 Manual to see that full moon portal. (Duskwood?)
Hmm I do know what to do technically; as I've looked in other people's custom campaigns. There has got to be something I'm doing wrong though naturally.
The full moon portal was just a legend in the section speaking of the Daemons; not sure if it was the spell or just the creature section. Or whether it was from the Alliance or Horde part of the manual. Nonetheless, a somewhat cool thought to think that the Burning Legion leaks demons into Azeroth. Always reminds me of the Order of Tirisfal and its demon hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Do you have WinMPQ, Tim?

If you ahem... look in some of Blizzard's maps, or even if you download the demo maps, you can just copy and paste the trigger from there.
WinMPQ; don't think so. How would I go about this extraction? Wink wink!
G'aw!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Look for WinMPQ, then open it. Then click on... file->open I think, then go into your WC3 folder and either click WC3xlocal.mpq or WC3.mpq... then you'll get the map files for WC3. But if you made a different version of Mount Hyjal you must have extracted it.

Okay, you know what the hardest part I find of map design is? Other than the repetivive grind work of triggers and such.

Spacial management.

But that's always been a weakness of mine...

I always end up with far too much space, or far too little.

Ironically, on this first map... it's kinda both. I have a very awkward shape remaining in my map, and I need a lot of stuff, but it's too thin for one thing I want, and too angular for the other... *sigh*
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM

I know what you mean. It's one of my problems when I try to design an RPG map; usually just don't know how to spread things out appropriately; but mostly I just cannot think of how to get quests into it. Interesting ones that fit with the landscape.

My version of the Battle of Mt Hjal had been extracted from a replica of the original campaigns, simply extracted by someone else. Thanks for showing me how to do it; I'll see if I can work it.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:25 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Well the solution strikes me as rather obvious... just make the space into a road...

*sigh*

I feel sheepish.

Do you want to test this map for me, Tim? (For difficulty, I'm gonna do the triggers and story stuff later)
Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

A road? How progressive!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Well, I was trying to make three villagers along a path to the end of the level... but it never actually occured to me to put it ALONG the path, rather than at points near the road... yeah... dunno if that makes sense.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 PM

Sure I'd gladly test. I'm a bit bored till the end of this week.
Fifty fifty chance of that boredom lasting till summer; long story.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

All right. If anyone else wants to test it out, send me a PM.

I only have the one mission done, though, and I haven't triggered and terrained it properly yet.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM

Elune

I prefer to wait and see it completed.

Good luck .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 AM

Eternal

I can test it if you want Aldrius, aside from playing TF2, i´m pretty bored concerning games right now.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
I can test it if you want Aldrius, aside from playing TF2, i´m pretty bored concerning games right now.
Don't I know the feeling.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Don't I know the feeling.
Says the Jack of Blades.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Says the Jack of Blades.
Replayability!
I'll try it again on good sometime, though.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Kay. How do you want me to send it to you, Vicious?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Eternal

Vicious_8729uk@hotmail. com

I made this mail when i was like, 12 or something, so give me a break.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Eternal

DOUBLE POST FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!

So i tested the level.

Well, first thing´s first, the story text in the loading screen ends abruptly, maybe it´s too big or something.

I played the level twice since i got my ass kicked the first time, i made the mistake of trying to kill every Lightning Lizard in the map.

Bad idea. Lost all my grunts and my army was shit by the time i reached the commander and i was totally slaughtered.

Already thinking that you should tone down the difficulty, i tried it again to make sure, this time i broke every container i saw got myself some healing totems, a health stone (Which made sense) and Drek´thar´s spellbook (Which didn´t made much sense), after some logical micro when i reached the Orcish base i managed to reach the commander with every unit available at that point.

I´m holding against that motherfucker´s 30 knights with my green meat wall when suddenly.....PLOT TWIST.

At first i thought that you were adapting Circle of Hatred but with that ending you´re probably not, i´m curious to see where that goes, the interaction between those 2 characters should be very interesting.

Couple of things though, if the Lightning Lizard are batshit insane maybe you should disable the animal sleep at night make them attack random critters as you go by, like the corrupted Furbolgs.

And try to cover the limits of the map with environment, the section where you have to pass the cavern there´s just an artificial black wall by it, kills the mood a little.

I liked it man, i wouldn't mind seeing where this is going.

Last edited by Vicious; 04-03-2008 at 04:44 PM..
Old 04-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

The Drek'thar's spell book is me adapting the Thunder Lizard quest from the tFT Orc Campaign. I'm being lazy and not implementing the actual quest. The idea is that Rexxar is gathering the four eggs for Drek'thar, and when he succeeds, he gets his spell book. I dunno how I'm gonna implement it, though. Unless Drek'thar was captured by the Thunder Lizards while gathering eggs or something...

Yeah.

Anyway. I hope to have map 2 done soon, if my computer doesn't crash when I attempt it.

*Sigh* WarEdit why must you be so moody and fickle?

By that one broken gate, there were supposed to be 3 orc corpses too, just to show the human's path of attack... and they refuse to show up of course... but I think I know what I did wrong there.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM

So far so good!
I think Vicious nailed it pretty much; I'm looking forward to your continuation of the campaign. It's nice and clear compared to what I usually try to get down.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Nobody knows how to imbed doodads into the ground, do they?

Or how to use the god#@I#_%*%_))#_) AI editor?

That's honestly what's slowing me down so much on map 2. Is the AI editor.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 AM

Elune

The first one is easy, supposing you want the doodads to be higher or lower.

Just click Cntrl+RePag for higher and Cntrl+AvPag for lower. (I'm not sure how it's said in english, excuse me [I suppose they're Pagdown and Pagup])

The second one... World Editor's AI is a bit unstable. Anyway, it's ok for easy things.

I suggest you copy an existing one and edit as you want, replacing the data.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:44 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Thanks Lon.

Page Up/Page Down thing doesn't work, though.

I want the trunk to in the ground and invisible, with the leaves on the ground above it. Blizzard did it in one of their maps, but I don't think I can.

*Sigh*

Oh well.

Not too important, I just wanted to create a nest.

Last edited by Aldrius; 04-26-2008 at 05:29 PM..