Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the best capital?
Dalaran 8 21.05%
Darnassus 4 10.53%
Exodar 2 5.26%
Ironforge 7 18.42%
Orgrimmar 3 7.89%
Silvermoon 5 13.16%
Shattrath 1 2.63%
Shrine of Seven Stars 0 0%
Shrine of Two Moons 0 0%
Stormwind 5 13.16%
Thunder Bluff 1 2.63%
Undercity 1 2.63%
Orgrimmar (old) 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Default Capital World Championship

Which capital is the best?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Elune

Gilne- Oh.

I'm actually pretty partial to Dalaran myself. I love many of the capitals; Ironforge, Exodar, Silvermoon (minus roleplayers), Thunder Bluff, even Stormwind has its charm to it were I not sick of it. It's a hard call.

The only two I 'dislike' are Undercity just because of how fucking annoying it is to navigate and Shattrath because it felt sort of... blergh? Too much wide open and unused space made it feel less like a city and more like an airport terminal.

Last edited by Drusus; 06-28-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Demon Hunter

Darnassus.
Quiet, peaceful, and reminds me of wc3 more than any other.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:15 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Gilne- Oh.

I'm actually pretty partial to Dalaran myself. I love many of the capitals; Ironforge, Exodar, Silvermoon (minus roleplayers), Thunder Bluff, even Stormwind has its charm to it were I not sick of it. It's a hard call.

The only two I 'dislike' are Undercity just because of how fucking annoying it is to navigate and Shattrath because it felt sort of... blergh? Too much wide open and unused space made it feel less like a city and more like an airport terminal.
Gilneas would've been lovely, if it hadn't been abandoned. It's funny that Blizz chose to go that route and still gave the goblins a shiny, new pseudo-capital.

I also agree with you on those other two capitals. I absolutely hate Undercity (Ironforge gets a pass because it looks better) and Shat makes me wanna puke. In that regard, Karabor would've been a fine capital because its architecture actually looks nice.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Ironforge and Dalaran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
Darnassus.
Quiet, peaceful, and reminds me of wc3 more than any other.
I agree with that, but it is poorly designed as a useful city.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Elune

I voted Darnassus but that was in haste. I actually prefer Shatt more, though Darn is in second place.

Stormwind is third.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I agree with that, but it is poorly designed as a useful city.
I 'like' Darnassus but there has always been something about it that just felt... 'off' almost? I can't put my finger on it. The layout seems almost unnatural? The services seem weirdly spread out. There's a lot of unnused shop space and what is used feels awkward. Then there's that bizarre mixture of trees, Greeco-Roman stone and the Korean-inspired open buildings. It probably doesn't help that pre-flying its vendors were the most awkward to have to reach.

They really should have made Darnassus feel more... foresty, where there's trouble in realising where Teldrassil ends and the city itself begins. More treehouses, less multi-story buildings. I think if they'd expanded the Cenarion area it would have helped. I respect that a full blown 'forest capital' might have melted computers back in the day but still.

Last edited by Drusus; 06-28-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Old 06-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

It was closely run between Darnassus and Shattrath. Darnassus just edged it for me because I think it looks just a little bit better. Better colour scheme, ya know?

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Elune

I'm going to be unconventional and choose The Exodar, of which I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere. Darnassus is a distant second, as it has a lovely atmosphere, but feels very unnatural.

Shattrath ends in dead-last.

P.s. I'd have put old and new Orgrimmar as separate entries, for they are quite different cities. I favor the former over the latter, and not just out of nostalgia, and can imagine some others doing the same.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:48 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I actually really liked what they did with Dalaran (aside from making it neutral), but ultimately went with Ironforge for the nostalgia. Love that place.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I actually really liked what they did with Dalaran (aside from making it neutral), but ultimately went with Ironforge for the nostalgia. Love that place.
Must say that while Darnassus is my favourite, Ironforge is my go to AH for non-engineers- closest AH to the portal. All round a very solid city. Just doesn't have the nostalgia of Shatt or the Beauty of Darn.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 06-28-2014, 02:14 PM

Eternal

Horde - silvermoon.
Alliance - Ironforge.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Elune

Crossed Swords (War2)

I think it's Stormwind, it feels like a city. Ironforge is aesthetically pleasing and easy to use, but it always felt to simplistic and small for me. I's supposed to be grand, but it just feels tiny and unimpressive when you compare it to Blackrock Mountain.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I'm going to be unconventional and choose The Exodar, of which I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere. Darnassus is a distant second, as it has a lovely atmosphere, but feels very unnatural.
What is wrong with your brain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
What is wrong with your brain?
Lol, seriously. How any sane person can like the Exodar is beyond me.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
Lol, seriously. How any sane person can like the Exodar is beyond me.
Mostly talking about calling Darnassus unnatural but yeah that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Chimaera

I picked Lordaeron

: P

Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
You've convinced me. Sylvanas shot an infernal, I now trust her with my life.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:40 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Mostly talking about calling Darnassus unnatural but yeah that too.
Feel unnatural to me too, in the sense that it doesn't feel like a proper night elf city.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Eternal

I feel like it doesn't make sense for Night Elves to live in cities at all.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Feel unnatural to me too, in the sense that it doesn't feel like a proper night elf city.
This.

Part of the reason I love Dalaran is that you can really tell they took the time to craft it. The little things like the toy train that weaves in and out of the toy shop exterior, the sewer shark, the elemental washing clothes, even down to things like the pastry vendor, NPCs greeting you when you enter. It's tidbits like that which show off the care they put into crafting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I feel like it doesn't make sense for Night Elves to live in cities at all.
They needed a capital, but it shouldn't have felt like a 'city'. Something akin to a much larger Astrannar, or a more populated Moonglade (the whole zone, not just Nighthaven). They very much feel like towns in the wild. The 'stone' architecture laced with trees in Darnassus just feels forced. It's too wide open and grassy with nothing in-between.

Last edited by Drusus; 06-28-2014 at 02:51 PM..
Old 06-28-2014, 02:52 PM

Eternal

Dalaran felt very constricted to me.
I think I'd prefer it if they expanded the surface (and especially the Violet Citadel, that disappointed me) and made the Sewers smaller, or just part of the Violet Hold dungeon (which would make a lot of sense going by WC3).

Quote:
They needed a capital, but it shouldn't have felt like a 'city'. Something akin to a much larger Astrannar, or a more populated Moonglade (the whole zone, not just Nighthaven). They very much feel like towns in the wild. The 'stone' architecture laced with trees in Darnassus just feels forced. It's too wide open and grassy with nothing in-between.
I think what would make the most sense is if their city was a massive Temple of Elune, with large gardens containing the Druid buildings and Ancients. Sort of like Karabor, but kaldorei.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Dalaran felt very constricted to me.
I think I'd prefer it if they expanded the surface (and especially the Violet Citadel, that disappointed me) and made the Sewers smaller, or just part of the Violet Hold dungeon (which would make a lot of sense going by WC3).
Dalaran was definitely too 'tight' I'll say that much. I think they made Shattrath a bit too big but then decided to go the other extreme and make Dalaran relatively small. I can definitely see why so many people had to avoid it like they did given the overcrowding and heck I was only in a medium sized realm in WotLK.

It's not so bad now, but it doesn't feel like a proper 'city' as much as I love it, nor does it feel like a 'town' either.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

In terms of atmosphere, Exodar takes the cake, followed by Silvermoon and Darnassus. In terms of actual "city" feel, no question Stormwind. Most functional, is Ironforge. At the end of the day though, the place that mixed it all together best was and always has been Dalaran.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM

Eternal

Dalaran is my number one. With both factions there, it was always bustling with people (during Wrath, at least). I also loved the architecture, the sky, and all the little bits of flavor thrown in. Plus, it was a flying city. That was cool.

I want to say Darnassus comes in second, but I don't know. I feel like I'm constantly trying to force myself to like Darn since I have a Night Elf main, but there's always been something "off" about it. Maybe it's a mix of the weird layout and the open-air pagodas. It feels less like a city and more like the sets onstage at a play.

With the Darn issue still there, my last favorite is Stormwind. As much as I'm sick to death of the human architecture and that damn lion everywhere, Stormwind really is a beautiful city with lots of flavor and things to see. Now if only they'd fix the Park and get rid of the scorch marks elsewhere.

All my Horde toons are in some stage of leveling, so I rarely visit the Horde capitals. If I had to choose one it'd be Orgrimmar.

Shattrath comes in last. Ugly, ugly place.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Loremaster

Visiting Dalaran now, I still regret that my computer was such an outdated heap during WotLK. I basically spent the whole expansion zooming the camera in and pointing it straight down at my feet any time I had to go there, just to slightly boost the framerate. My heartstone was keyed to Valiance Keep, then Crusaders' Pinnacle, then Crusader's Coliseum the whole time just because the lag in Dalaran had it taking five minutes to trudge from one end of the city to the other (I also tended to alt-tab in-and-out a lot while there, as that seemed to help my video card cope.)

I see the place now (on a newer desktop, though it's about time to upgrade even this one), and can only imagine what it was like to be able to use it as an expansion-relevant hub back when it was properly inhabited by truckloads of people.

It still irritates me that the placement of Cataclysm's zones was a perfect opportunity to give players cause to use multiple capital cities and manually fly around Azeroth (instead of letting old world flying become little more than a novelty), only for them to cheap out and chuck a portal hub in Stormwind and Orgrimmar instead. It basically turned those two cities into a zone select screens; WarCraft: It might as well be Megaman now.

All that time, all that effort spent to make the new Azeroth flyer-friendly, and they went out of their way to make sure we'd have no good reasons to fly around Azeroth.