Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I'm gonna play a Void Elf.
I'll pass final judgement only after I've seen their proper introduction and their customization options.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I'll pass final judgement only after I've seen their proper introduction and their customization options.
Same here. Even then I'll probably play one. I love the casting animations Blood Elves have, and the way robes look on the models.

My issue with High Elves is, why do they have to, 'look different enough,' from Blood Elves to begin with? Its the same race. Huojin Pandaren and Tushui Pandaren look exactly the same and are on opposite factions without an issue. The can of worms is open, and really, adding the Blood Elf model to the Alliance as Void Elf isn't going to stop the request for High Elves, it's only going to make it worse. One of the biggest hurdles, getting the model on the opposite faction, has been crossed. Not to mention Void Elves are limited in their class selection. No Paladins or Death Knights.

One would just think Blizzard would know better at this point. We KNOW what we want. We don't -think- we know what we want, we KNOW what we want. Yes means yes, no means no, and, "We want High Elves," means, "We want High Elves," not, "We want Void Elves."
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 AM

Eternal

We already have people losing their goddamn minds and screaming Horde Bias because Horde get's new models with Zandalari and Nightborne and Alliance only get's reskins. The outcry would be even worse if Alliance would get literally Blood Elves but with blue eyes instead of green.

Face it, there's no way to please everyone in this situation.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
We already have people losing their goddamn minds and screaming Horde Bias because Horde get's new models with Zandalari and Nightborne and Alliance only get's reskins. The outcry would be even worse if Alliance would get literally Blood Elves but with blue eyes instead of green.

Face it, there's no way to please everyone in this situation.
We can't please everyone, ever.

But we need to look at who we are trying to please and who will be the ones complaining.

Zandalari and nightborne were given to the Horde. The ones complaining are Alliance, so it's no big deal.

Just giving Alliance blue-eyed blood elves would get way more complains from Horde than Alliance players, IMO.

Void elves, I'm seeing way more Horde players satisfied with them (and not planning to play them) than Alliance players. At least, this is my perception.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Eternal

I Have yet to see a Horde poster being satisfied with them. The most common reaction I have seen is eye-rolling.

Plus, the complaining is based on Horde getting unique models/fleshed out races (Zandalari and Nightborne) while Alliance get's largely reskinned models. High elves would literally just be blood elves with blue eyes, and I can't for the life of me see how that is any better or would quell the current complaints.

And before we get "Then just make them visually distinctive enough" - again, that's literally what Void Elves are.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Its about time horde gets something good after being butchered for almost 6 expansions straight.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I Have yet to see a Horde poster being satisfied with them. The most common reaction I have seen is eye-rolling.

Plus, the complaining is based on Horde getting unique models/fleshed out races (Zandalari and Nightborne) while Alliance get's largely reskinned models. High elves would literally just be blood elves with blue eyes, and I can't for the life of me see how that is any better or would quell the current complaints.

And before we get "Then just make them visually distinctive enough" - again, that's literally what Void Elves are.
Here's what makes High Elves superior to Void Elves: they're fleshed out. They've got a history, they've gotten modern development and presence, ESPECIALLY in the Alliance. No one cares that they're Blue-Eyed Blood Elves, in fact, it's what people asking for High Elves, who will play them, want. Its that crowd Blizzard should be catering to, rather than the crowd who won't play them.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 AM

Eternal

You likely don't care that they're literally just blue-eyed blood elves, but a lot likely will, trust me. And they'd complain - what they already do, btw - why Horde get's Zandalari and Nightborne when Alliance just gets a bunch of reskins. Asking Blizzard to cater to your specific wants is understandable, but there's not going to come much of it.

High Elves are dead. This was the chance to add them, and they didn't. Instead they came up with a new flavour of High Elves. Void Elves are the final nail in the coffin.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Archer

Hi there!
Finally decided to register here though was reading through SoL's forums since MoP.
Hope people here won't mind me sharing my thoughts.

So, enough off-topic info, and as this particular thread is about the next expansion I'll try to give you my opinion on it.
First of all, I'm a bit conflicted right now. I've always loved faction side of the game: both Alliance and Horde fascinated me and I like the unique traits of both factions. However, as some posters here have already mentioned, the faction conflict make a major part of WoW's community show their bad side. People go for each other's throats, rant about 'all the atrocities of the opposite faction' and brag about 'the Epicness and Greatness' of their own.
To be honest I've seen enough of this during Cata and MoP and I see the same symptoms nowadays, after the BfA announcement.
On the other hand both 'continents' look promising (especially Kul Tiras, though I'm not really fond of Boralus' architecture - it seems a bit 'goblin-is', I guess).
As for allied races - I've been waiting for a similar feature for ages, however the first 6 races that they give to us feel lacking (moreover, I see why some Alliance players are frustrated as the playable Zandalari seem to be too much an effort against the background of races that Alliance get).

Hope I'll manage to enter the conversation here properly, as I've always felt that SoL is more like a bunch of friends that know each other. Thus I was hesitant to register here till this day.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 AM

Priestess of the Moon

*Looks at Void Elf discussion, looks back at Night Elf 9/11 now being a thing.*

I guess you could say that the Alliance's elves have become...

*sunglasses*

Null and Void

also, hi Xin, why is that name so familiar?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I don't particularly see how Blizzard could have made high elves different enough from blood elves that would have sufficiently satisfied the most hardcore high elf fans. It was fairly clear, IMHO, that when pressed, most high elf fans essentially wanted blood elves with blue eyes that were on the Alliance side: i.e., the Silver Covenant. That would never have flied. And it isn't like it's a large amount of people clamoring for high elves on the Alliance. It's almost always here and on the Battle.net forums (with noticeable overlap) of a vocal handfull of posters repeating themselves, often in their echo chambers for heightened effect. So now we are stuck with the same unsatsified dipshits who will never be happy and never know when to shut the fuck up about wanting high elves on the Alliance and stop annyoing the rest of us about it.
What if Blizzard had never invented the name "Void Elf", and had just instead given the Alliance a race called "High Elf" that has the exact same Void characteristics now because reasons? Like Alleria.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
High Elves are dead. This was the chance to add them, and they didn't. Instead they came up with a new flavour of High Elves. Void Elves are the final nail in the coffin.
You know, that's exactly the reason we won't shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin View Post
Hope I'll manage to enter the conversation here properly, as I've always felt that SoL is more like a bunch of friends that know each other. Thus I was hesitant to register here till this day.
Hi, Xin, and welcome!

Don't worry, everyone gets along nicely here. You'll feel at home!

Last edited by Deicide; 11-10-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Wow, who would have imagined that not giving something close to what they wanted would not appease them, uh? This is harder than rocket science!
Who would have thought that they would not have given into your unreasonable expectations and demands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
No one cares that they're Blue-Eyed Blood Elves, in fact, it's what people asking for High Elves, who will play them, want.
You say that as if this makes what those delusional people want reasonable, realistic, or a good idea.

Quote:
You know, that's exactly the reason we won't shut up.
When will you shut up? When they add them? Fat chance. So stop making the mere mention of "high elves" insufferable for the rest of us who have to continually put up with your whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
What if Blizzard had never invented the name "Void Elf", and had just instead given the Alliance a race called "High Elf" that has the exact same Void characteristics now because reasons? Like Alleria.
I suspect that these usual asshats would still be shitting up a storm because they could not RP their pretty boy Alliance-aligned blue-eyed blood elves. But it would at least be the stake through the heart.

Last edited by Genesis; 11-10-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 10:00 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I think calling them High Elves,but have everything of the void elves would have stopped a lot of the crying. When asked when are we getting "Real" high elves, Blizzard could say you already have them.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
When will you shut up? When they add them? Fat chance. So stop making the mere mention of "high elves" insufferable for the rest of us who have to continually put up with your whining.
Hey, I've been asking them for 12 years. It's can either whine for more 12 years or stop caring, and I think Blizzard prefers the former, as it gives them money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caith View Post
I think calling them High Elves,but have everything of the void elves would have stopped a lot of the crying. When asked when are we getting "Real" high elves, Blizzard could say you already have them.
That's like adding blue orcs and calling them Mag'har. Wouldn't work.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
That's like adding blue orcs and calling them Mag'har. Wouldn't work.
Just like playable high elves.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Arch-Druid

Now mind you I don't think this is actually the case, but what do you think the odds are that BfA was two separate expansion concepts for Zandalar and Kul Tiras mashed together?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Archer

Quote:
Seems like one of these decisions that could've worked.
The Void Elves are a very touchy subject to me personally.
When I saw them for the first time I was like: 'Wow, what the heck is this? Where did Blizz find these fanfic'dorei?' Moreover at first the description at the BfA site gave me impression that those are the high elves trained by Alleria. Later I've learned that these are in fact the sin'dorei and I was TRULY excited. For me it was a great chance to show 'look, it's not that simple with blood elves in Horde! we remember how they almost left it during MoP, and now Alleria is back and some of the Quel'thalas denizens want to leave the Horde for good!'
And then it became clear, that these are EXILES. Sure, Silvermoon is too overpopulated and blood elves dare not delve into any kind of horrid magics (lol) thus they've just kicked these freaks out.
It's really mind boggling as for why did Blizz decide that the concept of 'Void Elves' is great. It's not, it's absolutely lacking. Now we must believe that everybody in the Alliance is okay with those, who were kicked out of the HORDE because they seemed to be dangerous or someting.
I'd really prefer getting the high elves instead of these void-guys. I mean, their appearance is not such a problem, and the high elves could have just get some new hairstyles (like the Void Elves do) and a bit different skin tones (I mean, for how long haven't you created blood elf characters? Their customisation is literally 'you want the 'peach-pink' skin or the 'piggy-pink' one?') and if it was such a problem, then why wouldn't they change the model a bit as they did with the Zandalari trolls? I liked someone's idea about the Elisande's comment on quel'dorei:
Quote:
Quel'dorei? You are peasants playing at nobility, all too willing to mingle with lesser races that dilute your bloodline. You are unworthy of the name High Elves
Seen some people proposing to make high elves' appearance a bit 'half-elfy': shorter ears for example, blue eyes without any glow, etc.
I mean, Blizz would've killed two birds with one stone doing it: 1) they would have given both the Horde and the Alliance one 'a bit unique' allied race; 2) let's be honest, people wanted high elves for quite some time, and it's better to give these guys than to create some new species of elves that feel completely out of place, imo.
Quote:
also, hi Xin, why is that name so familiar?
Hope I won't be punished for this one minute of off-topic >_>
Well, not sure why :p Seems like 'Xin' is widespread chinese name, so you might've seem/heard smth here or there.
In my case it's just a short form of 'Xintarian' - my fanfic Mary Sue char Never publicly wrote anything about him though.
Quote:
Hi, Xin, and welcome!

Don't worry, everyone gets along nicely here. You'll feel at home!
Thanks! Hope I won't annoy you too much over here :p

Last edited by Xin; 11-10-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Panda

Quote:

I think the brunt of the problem is simply that, with the exception of the Zandalari and Betrayer Elfs, ALL of the Allied Race choices are lackluster, and frankly all but the trolls are a bit on the lazy side. I can see both sides - as it's standing, a simple eye-color-swap for High Elfs would have gone over like a fart in church, but then again, the entire thing did anyway. Ideally they should have given each faction one completely new model (i dunno, Broken and Zandalari), one reworked model (i.e. Darkhammer Dorfs, Taunka) and one slightly modified swap (High Elfs and something for the Horde. That one's a bit tricky, maybe Lepper Gnomes?).
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Now mind you I don't think this is actually the case, but what do you think the odds are that BfA was two separate expansion concepts for Zandalar and Kul Tiras mashed together?
I think that's been the case with those 2 and Pandaria. They all started out as islands in a 'South Seas' expac and they decided to do more with them.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Human Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Not Zandalar and Kul Tiras but South Seas and Faction Bullshit. Once again they're taking the Faction War, putting it front and center of the game.... off screen, while the players are busy saving the planet. Because even in a supposed "low key" expansion the goddamn planet is literally asking the player to save it from dieing.

Zandalar and Kul Tiras honestly look small enough that i can buy them having been designed as-are from the start. What i WOULD be interested in is: how long has this been in development? Because while everything looks remarkably early i'm actually more surprised by the lack of features. It seems to me as if they hastily threw together some emergency plans from the backburner after they got cold feet and decided to poop out (and subsequently scrap) part of a developing Argus-expansion.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caith View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but really, it probably would've. Or at least been the true final nail in the coffin. As is, we've got Void Elves, they're former Sin'dorei, meaning actual High Elves haven't been touched.

Last edited by Vexander; 11-10-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

So it seems there is a big consensus that Void Elves are a terrible idea. We are still in time to correct it Blizzard. React.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
So it seems there is a big consensus that Void Elves are a terrible idea. We are still in time to correct it Blizzard. React.
We’re not in consensus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Neutral Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Knowing Blizzard they'll pretend that nothing is wrong... and next expansion they'll changed every single race into High Elves.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft