Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Elune

Default Best of the warcraft books.

Just because we need some positive discussion once In a while.

Obviously, I'm going with the unending brilliance that is Tides of Darkness.Sorry, sorry Grackle, I was just kididing. Could please remove that troll destroyer from my body cavity? My actual pick would probably be Rise of the Horde.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

ToW had the potential to be the best if it could remove the stupid Kalec romance and add more to Jaina's internal conflict, along with the connection of Kul Tiras.

After reading Seas of Sorrow, I really think it beats all the WOW novels.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Elune

Please.....Beyond the Dark Portal is the best. I just keep going back and re-reading because it's just so much fun and interesting to read.

It has everything. Deathwing being his manipulative smary self. Onyxia and Nef. Alleria's orc hating self, Ner'zhul and his Hamlet moments "Alas poor Gul'dan! I knew him well, Teron. A man of infinite evil and backstabbery!"

And of course, Teron Gorefiend.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Elune

1. Lord of the Clans
2. Rise of the Horde
3. Of Blood and Honor

As I say, orcs are dull as a race but they got excellent characters attached to it.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Elune

I must confess to never having actually read beyond the dark portal.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I must confess to never having actually read beyond the dark portal.
I'm currently reading it. Contrary to Tides of Darkness, the story is an improvement over the original game, specially in regards to the movements of the Horde: the precise, surprise strikes to get certain artifacts make much more sense than the game's story in which entire cities were destroyed for the orcs to get the objects of power they required.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
1. Lord of the Clans
2. Rise of the Horde
3. Of Blood and Honor

As I say, orcs are dull as a race but they got excellent characters attached to it.
Golden handled most of her orc characters well, but most of the non orc characters were over-emotional in her books.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Echo of the Past

Invisibility

The Last Guardian. Yes, it had some serious lore issues here and there. But it was a terrific read, it showcased the mentality of the Old Horde beautifully without making them into caricatures, and it's probably the only Warcraft book I'd recommend to a non-Warcraft fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
I'm currently reading it. Contrary to Tides of Darkness, the story is an improvement over the original game, specially in regards to the movements of the Horde: the precise, surprise strikes to get certain artifacts make much more sense than the game's story in which entire cities were destroyed for the orcs to get the objects of power they required.
My opinion is that Beyond the Dark Portal was a vast improvement over Tides of Darkness in terms of worldbuilding and warcrafting. In that... for nearly every mission of the game, there was a reference in the book. And it also made a few entertaining meta-reflections on questionable elements of the game (How did the Skull of Gul'dan get to Draenor? Why did the Alterac assassin leave an Alterac dagger behind?) I consider the handling of Kilrogg Deadeye to be one of the best retcons, even if WoW's in-game literature hasn't covered it yet.

But lest you think I'm not whiny enough, it's not perfect. My biggest issues:

1) Ner'zhul is no longer the driving force behind the Horde scheme; Teron Gorefiend is. Good for Gorefiend, but it'd be nice for Ner'zhul to have come up with the idea himself.

2) Still no Horde navy. This means the Great Sea levels are reduced to "sneaking around" in rowboats, and the Draenor sea levels (including the existence of the port city Zeth'kur and the fight to defeat Draenor's orcish armada) are about the only ones now rendered nonexistent.

3) As much as I hate on WoW:ToD for its poor warcrafting, it was WoW:BtDP that verified the Second War only lasted a few months. Its characters repeat over and over again how "two years have passed" since the last war ended, and how the current events are going on in Year 8. Teron Gorefiend complains that Ner'zhul has done nothing in two years. Rend complains that the Draenor Horde has done nothing in two years. It feels a lot like that same meta-commentary on the Skull of Gul'dan's location or the Alterac dagger.... but they didn't have to say that nothing had been happening from the end of Year 6 to the beginning of Year 8. Couldn't the war have been fought during that time and ended really recently? Did we really need to specify that two years of nothing was real?

4) Speaking of warcrafting, WoW:BtDP also confirmed that there was no Siege of Dalaran, and thus no destruction to Dalaran that had to be repaired by the Eye of Dalaran. You know... in case some of us overimaginative headcanon people thought it still could've happened off-screen during the conflict. Nope. The Eye of Dalaran is just something that's been sitting in the vaults for ages.

5) Where are the Trolls and Goblins? Frozen Throne still showed us axethrowers in the cutscene depicting this event. In this novel, only orcs and ogres came through.

6) And if we are going to retcon specific units, why not show us some Raiders? Lore indicates they would've still been around, especially among the Thunderlord Clan, even if the game didn't depict them.

7) I appreciate that they wanted to add in Burning Crusade locations, but the geography of Draenor is really too close to modern Outland. Before this novel, I think a lot of us expected that Draenor's geography was reshaped during its "destruction", similar to how the cataclysm reshaped Azeroth.

8) Completely ignoring the political situation of Khaz Modan as presented by Day of the Dragon, which will supposedly happen two years from this book. DotD depicts a northern Khaz Modan firmly under the grip of the Dragonmaw, reinforced by their enslaved red dragons, constantly raiding Lordaeron. Rhonin had to land in hostile territory on the west coast because there was no friendly base nearby. Yet in BtDP, Menethil Harbor is up and running and the Deeprun Tram has even begun its construction. The Dragonmaw are hidden in Grim Batol, instead of making a nuisance of themselves. You could headcanon that something changes between Year 8 and Year 10, but I think that's the sort of headcanon that borders on fanon.

9) Why the flip is Aiden Perenolde alive and on his throne, under "house arrest"? Why do the Alliance kings have to have stupid dialogue about it like, "If only he'd abdicate, then we could execute him! Why doesn't he abdicate?!" What's wrong with using the Alterac Mage? It's not like it was important to keep Aiden alive.

~ ~ ~

That's all I can think about now. Let me add in some of my favorite parts, though, for balance:

1) Danath Trollbane and Kilrogg Deadeye.

2) Confirming that yes, Gnomes and Goblins were in the Second War. Thank you. Good warcrafting there.

3) Expanding info with Alliance cooperation with the Auchindoun Draenei, those bird people, and even the superogre guys, even if I didn't play WoW to recognize those races. In contrast, ToD neglects the chance to remind us that races like Gnolls and Murlocs existed in its time period.

4) Ner'zhul's overall characterization (even if he lost the element of driving the storyline this time)

5) The Cosmic Alignment Retcon. Basically, clarification that the BtDP portal scheme is happening now because the stars/planets of Draenor's universe are perfectly aligned for it at this moment, an alignment so strong that the spell cannot fail, an alignment that won't be replicated again for a very long time. This would've been the perfect explanation for why Ner'zhul would've waited two years before starting... it would've been perfect, except the two years pass before Gorefiend gives Ner'zhul the idea for the scheme, and Gorefiend doesn't act like he's aware of the constellation thing. That's kind of a hiccup in the narrative.

6) Merging the Alliance Campaign and Horde Campaign so that most of the missions existed, in some form (even if the naval ones got the shaft). Gorefiend's Commandos is actually a fun little section.

7) The clarification/retcon that shortly after the Alliance Expedition lands on Draenor, Hellscream's forces on Azeroth have retaken the territory on Azeroth's side of the portal and effectively cut off the Expedition. This adds a nice touch of isolation to the protagonists, even moreso than was in the original game. Excellent warcrafting here.

8) We know what Rexxar is doing. It would've been nice if ToD had given us more info on characters we knew were around and active (e.g. Rexxar, Saurfang, Rhonin).

9) In general, the shorter time and smaller scale feels less offensive because this event always felt like it dealt with a smaller number of forces conducting more limited objectives (acquiring the artifacts), so the smaller scale works. Even so, the Horde gets moments of competence.

10) Rend Blackhand, full stop. In both this novel and in ToD, Rend receives a bigger character competence promotion than any other character in the two books, bar none.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-23-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Jeff only wrote that book, then he went to ANET to be the story designer of GW.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Warcraft 2: The Tides if Darkness instruction manual.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Warcraft 2: The Tides if Darkness instruction manual.
You cheat!

The Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual is also a pretty good read. It introduces the hourglass motif.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm with Grackle on this one. The Last Guardian is the best Warcraft book. It's simply outstanding from the reader's perspective as it showcases both the humans and the Horde perfectly and really develops on the first war.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

I quite like Lord of the Clans.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

I can honestly say i have enjoyed reading every single Warcraft book and only was upset really with the last part of the Malfurion book but that is just me .
Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

1. Rise of the Horde
2. Beyond the Dark Portal
3. The Shattering

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Elune

1) The Last Guardian. I really liked Medivh, Khadgar and Lothar in this one. Also shows very well how Stormwind was back when it was a cool kingdom. It also manages to make Karazhan even more creepy.

2) Day of the Dragon. Manipulative Deathwing for the win!

3) Lord of the Clans. Thrall, in the only moment where I liked him. Sergeant was also an interesting character, sad we don't see him in-game.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Elune

The Last Guardian. Not only is it the best Warcraft novel but it's also a good fantasy novel, something that let's be honest here no other Warcraft book can claim.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies´┐Ż strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night´┐Ż live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I know it's not really a book, but I rather liked Unbroken.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM

Revenant - Moderator

1. Arthas: Rise of the Lich King

It has its flaws, omissions, and awkwardness, but I still think it has the most little lore bits per chapter.

2. The WarCraft II manual

I'm going to cheat and put this here. It really started the worldbuilding that would let me down later.

3. The War of the Ancients trilogy

It was a good read. It has its time travel Mary Sues and a few slow bits, but quality wise it was up there.

Honorable Mention: Most of the RPG books. Because worldbuilding.

They are decent if read on their own, and there were not that many continuity errors considering the amount of text.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Site Staff - Admin

I thought Arthas was a pretty solid book. It was packed-full with so many great dialogues between characters from Warcraft 3. The list of Warcraft books that I didn't enjoy is shorter than the ones that I did (Stormrage and Night of the Dragon, I'm looking at you!)
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Eternal

People are throwing non books in here too, so I'm going to go on record and say Curse of the Worgen and Ashbringer were two of my favorite warcraft printed media ever produced.

Stormrage and night of the dragon were probably my least favorite overall, but I didn't hate them.

Book wise, The Shattering, Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde, WotA were some of the best.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I thought Arthas was a pretty solid book. It was packed-full with so many great dialogues between characters from Warcraft 3. The list of Warcraft books that I didn't enjoy is shorter than the ones that I did (Stormrage and Night of the Dragon, I'm looking at you!)
Read Revenge of the Sith novelization then you will find how horrible Arthas was.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Read Revenge of the Sith novelization then you will find how horrible Arthas was.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 PM

Echo of the Past

(Lord of the Clans made my head asplode in the first few sections and I haven't tried getting through the rest of it yet but I'm not sure I can stand the GoodDoomhammer-BadDoomhammerHorde imbalance from the days before Christie Golden knew much about lore.)
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Eternal

Of Blood and Honor is one of the top ones for sure. Tirion took a humble pie to the face and was made better for it. It showed him and Eitrigg to be more than just a human and orc and as a result they were easier to empathize and relate to. Relating to a character is something that hasn't happened in Warcraft for a long ass time.

Tags
blizzard apologist, fifty tides of darkness, isn't falstad dead?, literature