Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 07:15 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Blizzard doesn't care about the lore and for good reason. The community that enjoys the lore is a minority. Most of their subscribers only care about phat l00t. Is this a good thing? No. But look from the lore team's point of view. Why should you waste hours and hours over a plot not many people give a shit about, and those who do bitch and shit all over it anyway.
I don't agree with this.

The people who are VOCAL about their enjoyment of the lore are the minority.

But I don't think it doesn't affect subscribers or interest in the game even for people who ostensibly play just for raiding or other stuff.

The Story, its presentation, and its content, all affect the gameplay and just because it's hard to -measure- the impact, it gets treated like it has zero effect.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I don't agree with this.

The people who are VOCAL about their enjoyment of the lore are the minority.

But I don't think it doesn't affect subscribers or interest in the game even for people who ostensibly play just for raiding or other stuff.

The Story, its presentation, and its content, all affect the gameplay and just because it's hard to -measure- the impact, it gets treated like it has zero effect.
Yeah, my guild leader isn't really a forum reader (he'd probably have noticed my posts... hah!) but he still keeps up with the lore enough to be annoyed at the inevitability of Anduin releasing Garrosh (Who else is going to do it?), so yeah, just because they don't post on the forums doesn't mean that the general population don't care.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 AM

The Sun King

ijffdrie, I think I have the best advice for you: take a break from the forum.

SOL can feel like a family/fellowship sometimes, and sometimes it feels like venomous pit of adders. When you start seeing everyone as a poisonous plague-breather, take a break from those people. It's not like daily posting on SOL is your job or something.

No need for dramatic posts and pleads to delete your account. Just take it easy and disappear without a word. Have some other recreational activity to enjoy, and return whenever you actually get interest and tolerance for the other forum-goers.

It will feel much better when you finally return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
Well whenever I start talking about dwarves and their lore and the implications of it I get a snide comment from the side-lines, which is why I stopped. *shrugs*
*shrug* I usually support your ideas (even if most of them are pure dwarfgasm) and I don't care about any "Story Forum reputation" that COD mentioned.

EDIT: And, also, some people here have it right: when Blizzard will deliver quality stuff, we'll recognize it. We always do, even if sometimes it feels like searching for few gold pieces in a pile of plain stones. Right now, I don't see anything worthy of much praise, and the whole idea behind WoD disappoints me to no end.

Last edited by Kir the Wizard; 12-21-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
ijffdrie, I think I have the best advice for you: take a break from the forum.

SOL can feel like a family/fellowship sometimes, and sometimes it feels like venomous pit of adders. When you start seeing everyone as a poisonous plague-breather, take a break from those people. It's not like daily posting on SOL is your job or something.

No need for dramatic posts and pleads to delete your account. Just take it easy and disappear without a word. Have some other recreational activity to enjoy, and return whenever you actually get interest and tolerance for the other forum-goers.

It will feel much better when you finally return.
I do consider it as a possibility, but frankly, I see no real need. There is a growing negativety that I do not like, true, but the various forum games and general discussion stuff more than make up for it. Even if this letter ends up ignored, I still would just hang around.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I do consider it as a possibility, but frankly, I see no real need. There is a growing negativety that I do not like, true, but the various forum games and general discussion stuff more than make up for it. Even if this letter ends up ignored, I still would just hang around.
Waiting until your colleagues start to punch your favorite puppy is not the best decision.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Echo of the Past

Oil

Quote:
when Blizzard will deliver quality stuff, we'll recognize it.
My war has about 10 times more potential now than it had in 2007.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Arch-Druid

You can only say so much about shit before you have to mention the smell.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I'm really happy for you. Sincerely.

But personally, I despise the idea of WoD, regardless of how many ogre juggernauts it makes up.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Which one is that again?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
No need for dramatic posts and pleas to delete your account.
Not gonna lie, that thread was the first thing I thought of when I saw this one.

It goes to show, though, this isn't a new problem. If anything, it was worse during Cata, with the reign of Soldrethar and all that. Sometimes the negativity just peaks, people try leaving before they inevitably break down and come back, mods try banning anybody who whines in the wrong thread, extreme measures like the Halls of Lordaeron are resorted to, etc.

It is depressing, and you end up feeling trapped because there aren't many other places to go if you specifically want lore discussion. For me, the best solution has been to chat with people privately, and check out other venues like Tumblr. No need to leave altogether, but it helps to be able to have the kinds of conversations you want in a format where they're unlikely to be derailed by the stuff that usually pops up here.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Elune

I understand your being upset at all this. I tend to have a somewhat sporadic presence on this forum anyway, but I can see where the negativity would be problematic, and I sort of wish I could help make it go away myself.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Eternal

It is a bit of a circle-jerk here from time to time.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I'm like Thunderbraid when it comes to this topic. I came here to talk about the stuff of Warcraft that I liked etc. It didn't take long for that to become less and less relevant. Perhaps SoL is toxic by itself, crushing the hopes and dreams of lore lovers?

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
I'm like Thunderbraid when it comes to this topic. I came here to talk about the stuff of Warcraft that I liked etc. It didn't take long for that to become less and less relevant. Perhaps SoL is toxic by itself, crushing the hopes and dreams of lore lovers?
Im pretty sure thats the lore.

I mean remember how everyone was flipping their shit over Dalaran and the Siege?

People were elated to see Ironforge tabards, Night Elf on panthers, and Patch Eye theron being awesome and imposing.

They liked seeing Jaina botching it hard with the Blood Elves ditching the Horde for the alliance, they liked having the dim, dim, dim, dim hope of Vol´Jin staying a Troll and maybe just maybe Lot remar being warchief or having a council.

Yet... then come things that dont feel cohesive, organic or let alone logical.

And thats when you feel the wonder and excitment die, you remember that the chains of the status quo are yanked and you cant have something different because it would break the stablished order
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
Im pretty sure thats the lore.

I mean remember how everyone was flipping their shit over Dalaran and the Siege?

People were elated to see Ironforge tabards, Night Elf on panthers, and Patch Eye theron being awesome and imposing.

They liked seeing Jaina botching it hard with the Blood Elves ditching the Horde for the alliance, they liked having the dim, dim, dim, dim hope of Vol´Jin staying a Troll and maybe just maybe Lot remar being warchief or having a council.

Yet... then come things that dont feel cohesive, organic or let alone logical.

And thats when you feel the wonder and excitment die, you remember that the chains of the status quo are yanked and you cant have something different because it would break the stablished order
I somewhat agree.
I also blame lost opportunity due to stupid stuff and contagious negativity. That's what's plagueing enthusiasm on SoL.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Elune

I'll have to dig up some of my old posts where I defended Blizzard throughout most of Cata, and even defended Malfurion...

ME, defending Malfurion.

Your heart is in the right place.

But as Grim said, for a lot of us, it's not just negativity to be negative. It's trying to be positive for patch, after patch, after patch, after patch, and then hearing the people in charge speak and completely miss the point.

Or hearing them lie. Or hearing them declare what their opinion of bad ass Night Elves is something getting killed by orcs. Or 4.3 and Kosak's response.

By stance is the same thing it's always been. The same thing it's been since I started losing hope in Blizzard.

Show me something to give me hope. Until then, don't expect me to treat their product as something to be hopeful for.

Instead, statements come out that basically say nostalgia is the inspiration for the next expansion. That's not something that inspires hope.

What it is, is something that makes me realize the people who are currently in charge of the story are so focused on the past, so proud of what they did in the past, that they can't move on.

Right now, the Cdev team comes off as those High School jocks who can't get past their glory days banging cheer leaders and sticking it to the big P.

And Dollars to Donuts says the expansion after WoD is going to be a WC3 rehash, with the Alliance being nearly destroyed, the Horde finding themselves again and establishing new power, and the Legion failing to take on Azeroth, again.

Because thats what Blizzard seems to be doing.

And it's sad, and pathetic, and the damndest thing is, if this was "really" the best Cdev could come up with, it would be all right. But it's not. They just refuse to stop wanking over their past and write something new.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Sentinel Queen

We praise the current storyline and writing when it deserves praise, and frankly Mists Of Pandaria deserves no praise. For most people who enjoy the lore and Warcraft's setting, there was nothing in it, and there is little to expect from Warlords of Draenor which seems will repeat all the same problems we constantly complained about.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:51 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
And it's sad, and pathetic, and the damndest thing is, if this was "really" the best Cdev could come up with, it would be all right. But it's not. They just refuse to stop wanking over their past and write something new.
This is my main gripe with the whole thing aswell. They ARE better than this, but they're making the decision NOT to be. That's unforgivable and there's no justification for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeAxe View Post
We praise the current storyline and writing when it deserves praise, and frankly Mists Of Pandaria deserves no praise. For most people who enjoy the lore and Warcraft's setting, there was nothing in it, and there is little to expect from Warlords of Draenor which seems will repeat all the same problems we constantly complained about.
[Lore only] Alongside WoD? Mists was a fucking masterpiece.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeAxe View Post
It wasn't any better for the Horde.

Once again, everyone lost in Mists of Pandaria.
I think you mean everyone lost in crapaclysm.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Elune

Pandaria's lore was pretty damn good. I say Pandaria in the context of it as a continent and its natives. The problems start showing when they introduced the fucking Alliance-Horde War into things. If there was no on-going war for the story to be black holed into (thus also avoiding the atrocious Pandaren metaphor) people would likely be calling MoP the best expansion for lore to date. I don't recall any complaining about Pandaria itself (aside from the obvious "Too much like Chain" and "lol kung fu panda XD" stuff). Heck, the biggest complaint I saw until 5.1 was Anduin tongue bathing the Horde... which was related to the Alliance-Horde War.

Blizzard work best when they're writing entirely new things. It's expanding on the old they fuck up big time, which is why I think WoD is going to be dreadful narratively.

Last edited by Drusus; 12-22-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Elune

I think a lot of the old timers are just nostalgic for a time long gone and it has made us overly cynical. We have just gotten sick of the game over time. How many things can you say you have liked for 9 years?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Arch-Druid

I love this forum when it goes to so much detail using what little info they might have, like Noble Gilnean houses from various name-only NPCs.

And I hate it when they start to complain about such little info on some name-only NPC.

Essentially, I somewhat agree with you, but dont think things are outright terrible. It's just right now we are not getting much new information regarding the new content and ppl are pissing on the same thing for weeks now. Blizz reveals more stuff = more discussion (and whining, but that is expected).
Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I think a lot of the old timers are just nostalgic for a time long gone and it has made us overly cynical. We have just gotten sick of the game over time. How many things can you say you have liked for 9 years?
Transformers, He-man, Final Fantasy Tactics, LotR
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I don't think my tastes have actually changed since I was like, ten, so I'm probably not the best person to ask that of.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

It'll get better as more lore comes out, then worse as we pick it apart to complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
all land is scroll land, blizzard apologist, leave blizzard alone, scrolls of lore, sun god says, we gonna bury you here