Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 06:08 PM

World Builder

Runes Shameless Self-indulgent World Building Thread

For Random Thoughts on original content you whip up in your spare time, think Carbots "idbcoolif" as opposed to our semiprofessional thread

First topic to start us off is a personal favorite of mine though, complementary opposites

Lately I've been stuck on the notion of industrial hobgoblins as a counterpart to woodsy style elves, crossbows or early firearms vs longbows and such, benefits of machinery mass production vs its destruction of older style masterwork guild based craftsmanship

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-02-2017, 06:45 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Certain areas on this Earth inspire a primal dread, the deep places and the dark. Black forests, abyssal trenches, silent caverns. We fear them, even more at times than the monsters we fear they house.

Idbcool if there really were ancient, unspeakable forces, worthy of our terror, that inhabited these places. A rustling shadow without name that watches from the wood. A paralyzing chill that rises from the oceans' furthest corners. A heavy void that quickly stifles any light brought to illuminate the earth's most secret cavities.

It's my opinion that of all fears, the most beautiful are the elemental, with no basis in what we know of life. I am dissatisfied with teeth and claws and eyes and tentacles and gore. There is a potential for still greater monsters in the cosmic darkness. Let there be demons without form, without voice, without teeth. A hunger disembodied, a hatred beyond recognition.

In the deeper darkness you will find no wolves, no sharks, no beasts to threaten you with injury and death. You will find only silence and shadows, into which you have entered forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 PM

World Builder

I couldn't agree more Anansi but how do you represent such nameless, shapeless, alien terror in media aside from a few skilled writers that make it more environment than entity?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-02-2017, 06:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I'm a little reluctant to publicly upload ideas I plan to actually use in stories, so here's one that I never intend to use (and I have posted it before, but it was a long time ago).

A setting where the Underdark races (drow, duergar, illithids, and hobgoblins) are heroic, while the surface races (humans, elves, dwarves, and maybe firbolgs or some kind of giant) are evil.

The hobgoblins hold the line in the upper caverns. A society of heroic militarism, they are organized into regiments, some of which have served for centuries. Everyone is born into a unit and serves in some capacity. Though on the side of the angels, they are a bit darker than the other races; constant warfare takes its toll.

The duergar keep the hobgoblins supplied with food and metal (though the hobgoblins prefer to manufacture their own equipment). Extraordinary merchants, duergar caravans roam even the most desolate caverns, and their trade network has created a sense of unity through most of the Underdark. Their greatest city is an engineering marvel, where palaces and markets sprawl on the floor, walls, and ceiling of a single grand cavern. They've also built the great aqueduct system that supplies the frontiers with water.

The languorous drow pursue magic and beauty in their pallid cities, where curving palaces rise like frozen flames from the ground. The elegant boulevards and luminescent fungal groves seem a world away from the war raging in the upper caverns, but the drow are slowly taking notice. Their formidable rangers and wizards are an increasingly common sight among the hobgoblin regiments. Though others might resent their aloofness, they are growing in value.

The peerless illithids are attuned to the world's subconscious. For centuries, their priests and healers have roamed the Underdark, sharing the secrets of civilization with all they encountered. The duergar were their best pupils, and the two races enjoy a close relationship. As is the case with illithids, they eat the brains of sentient creatures in order to survive, but they must do so only rarely. Duergar near the brink of death will offer up their brains to the illithids. The act of consuming ensures that the deceased's memory will live on within the illithid gestalt, and the duergar see this as an honorable afterlife. Hobgoblins and drow are less sure of this, though they appreciate illithid wisdom (and hobgoblin generals have been known to donate their brains, so that their wisdom can continue to serve the cause).

The surface races are a nasty bunch. The dwarves have plundered the surface deposits, using ore to create machines that dig out even more metal while their impoverished population shuffles through gray cities shorn of healthy decadence.

Elves see the forest as the ideal state, and send creeping roots and monstrous plant creatures deep into the caverns in order to colonize them. Unfortunates who fall victim to their druids will endure an agonizing unlife as the green dead.

A single human empire conquered its rivals and now turns its attentions below. They worship the burning sun, and seek to crack open the earth itself so that unholy light will burn all that is good.

The cannibalistic firbolgs rampage through the upper caverns, their strength matched only by their dark ritual magic.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I couldn't agree more Anansi but how do you represent such nameless, shapeless, alien terror in media aside from a few skilled writers that make it more environment than entity?
It's tricky, especially because I want them to be too dangerous to study very closely. For example, even the most intensely prepared of heroes, magi or woodsmen cannot approach one of the black forest's wakeful groves without disappearing too quickly and too completely to return any data. Fire doesn't catch or spread in these woods, and few are foolish enough to make any serious effort to fell the trees.

I'm thinking, though, that people develop the sense that certain places are Not To Be Spoken Of. They circumspectly invent tales of curses and evil spirits, in those mortal terms they are willing to understand, and forbid their children from playing too near. Few choose to live on the borders of these places, and those that do are Strange. The fear becomes instinct, and even the most timid of wildlife will fight to the death to avoid being driven into darkness.

These are places feared even by the mightiest of immortals, and beyond the power even of the three gods in the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Undergood
There are a few reasons why this couldn't plug into my primary setting, but I like the cut of its jib. Archetypal inversion is one of my favorite modifiers.

Aren't Duergar and Dwarves cousins of some sort? Dwarves seem to me like they're the most likely to regularly interact with the Underdark races, and it might be interesting if there's a bit of grey area where the most benevolent of Dwarves and most malevolent of Duergar have a bit of cultural friction.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post

There are a few reasons why this couldn't plug into my primary setting, but I like the cut of its jib. Archetypal inversion is one of my favorite modifiers.

Aren't Duergar and Dwarves cousins of some sort? Dwarves seem to me like they're the most likely to regularly interact with the Underdark races, and it might be interesting if there's a bit of grey area where the most benevolent of Dwarves and most malevolent of Duergar have a bit of cultural friction.
As I recall, AD&D has the duergar simply as the dwarven equivalent of drow. Evil dwarves with gray skin, basically. There are also the derro, who are evil and pale (and, in recent editions, somehow connected to monstrous Old God-type monsters).

There could be some friction. In Undergood (or maybe Underlight?), the dwarves are stifled by their rulers, and basically work as slaves. The duergar are much more independent, living in democratic market cities where everyone has at least one vote (possibly more, based on one's accomplishments). Rebellious dwarves might even find sanctuary with the duergar.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-02-2017, 08:17 PM

World Builder

Anansi I really need to get you to read The Monster blood Tattoo series, I think you'd really like the concept of Threwd

Threwd: The sense of watchfulness and awareness in the land around you

@HlaaluStyle

I really love that underdark variant, I've been a sucker for hobgoblins lately and I love "evil" light and plant factions, green dead make me think botani a bit, I've got something similar called plaguewrought in my own setting, how would mycons and goblins and orcs and such fit in all that though?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Anansi I really need to get you to read The Monster blood Tattoo series, I think you'd really like the concept of Threwd

Threwd: The sense of watchfulness and awareness in the land around you

@HlaaluStyle

I really love that underdark variant, I've been a sucker for hobgoblins lately and I love "evil" light and plant factions, green dead make me think botani a bit, I've got something similar called plaguewrought in my own setting, how would mycons and goblins and orcs and such fit in all that though?
Not sure. The Underlight would need a few native hostile races to keep things interesting, so maybe normally benign entities like myconids and svirfneblin would go bad. Orcs might be good up on the surface, but that's been done a lot.

I figure the drow would still maintain some of their classical AD&D roots. Though good-aligned, they can be viciously competitive when it comes to social rank, and there's a fair amount of intrigue (though murder is rare, and would still be treated as murder). Their spider goddess represents the cleverness and instinct of the solitary predator; her distance from her brood is her way of teaching self-sufficiency and independence.

Like spiders, the drow wait for their opponents to make a mistake before striking. This is one reason for their inactivity; they're waiting for the surface races to overextend themselves. It's a bad idea on their part though, since they just aren't numerous enough to win the war on their own.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:52 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
As I recall, AD&D has the duergar simply as the dwarven equivalent of drow. Evil dwarves with gray skin, basically. There are also the derro, who are evil and pale (and, in recent editions, somehow connected to monstrous Old God-type monsters).
Most things in the Underdark are related in some way to the ancient Mind Flayer empire (which may or may not have only existed in the future).

Not that this should constrain your own world-building, mind you.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Not sure. The Underlight would need a few native hostile races to keep things interesting, so maybe normally benign entities like myconids and svirfneblin would go bad. Orcs might be good up on the surface, but that's been done a lot.

I figure the drow would still maintain some of their classical AD&D roots. Though good-aligned, they can be viciously competitive when it comes to social rank, and there's a fair amount of intrigue (though murder is rare, and would still be treated as murder). Their spider goddess represents the cleverness and instinct of the solitary predator; her distance from her brood is her way of teaching self-sufficiency and independence.

Like spiders, the drow wait for their opponents to make a mistake before striking. This is one reason for their inactivity; they're waiting for the surface races to overextend themselves. It's a bad idea on their part though, since they just aren't numerous enough to win the war on their own.
Orcs would make decent mercs for both sides I figure, your bits regarding the firbolg were brief though, were they not as fleshed out as the others or did you have something else in mind for them?

As for Myconids, I'm mostly wondering how elves would view them, mushrooms being mind-controlled by 'good' surface plants rather than the other way around is almost too much of an inversion though.

Also, regarding the Derro, I hadn't heard that regarding them and old-gods type creatures, I'd thought they were a bunch of gnomes that went 'wrong' when exposed to sunlight ages back and became an analogue for alien-abductee people somehow?

Thinking more on the underdark, I blended Mu Spore's and Flumph a while back when trying to think of alternate 'familiars' for orders of spellcasters, imagine every apprentice gets a small semi-sentient spore the size of a baseball as a 'pet' when they first begin training in an underground society, it amplifies their casting but the casting also affects its growth and personality once it develops sapience.

End up with nice healy casters floating on big pale white jellyfish or whales through underground caverns while others have chitinous manta-ray things with death-rays or flying-snake-ribbon type companions, came out a bit pokemon but not sure that's a bad thing.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-03-2017, 07:58 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

The Reclamation Era painter Vilintraimulasgrashana's "Red Field at Daybreak" is one of the world's most famous pieces of art. It depicts in gorgeous detail the site of the battle at which Sessan's last emperor completed his conquest of the subcontinent. The rising sun paints a radius of crimson light against the night sky as it rises above a sweep of craggy mountains that gradually subside to a rolling plain of long, waving grasses, the tiny blossoms of which are tinged with scarlet. It's very beautiful.

Vilintraimulasgrashana never actually visited the Red Field, and based his masterpiece on the name alone. In fact, the real Red Field is a blasted marshland dotted with rotting tree stumps and clouded by grey mists. It's a constant source of frustration for scholars and pedants alike that Vilintraimulasgrashana's vision has so thoroughly entered the public consciousness that most people refuse even to listen to those who would contradict it.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49 AM

Elune

Quote:
The Reclamation Era painter Vilintraimulasgrashana's "Red Field at Daybreak" is one of the world's most famous pieces of art. It depicts in gorgeous detail the site of the battle at which Sessan's last emperor completed his conquest of the subcontinent. The rising sun paints a radius of crimson light against the night sky as it rises above a sweep of craggy mountains that gradually subside to a rolling plain of long, waving grasses, the tiny blossoms of which are tinged with scarlet. It's very beautiful.

Vilintraimulasgrashana never actually visited the Red Field, and based his masterpiece on the name alone. In fact, the real Red Field is a blasted marshland dotted with rotting tree stumps and clouded by grey mists. It's a constant source of frustration for scholars and pedants alike that Vilintraimulasgrashana's vision has so thoroughly entered the public consciousness that most people refuse even to listen to those who would contradict it.
This is a little too real for me...

Old 02-03-2017, 09:09 PM

World Builder

Quote:
This is a little too real for me...
Imagine a world where folks attempt to unlock the ultimate evil or fulfill the prophecy only to realize they're in the wrong spot due to mistranslation or historical misunderstanding

"Oh shit thats right they used the old imperial calendar, the time to unlock the bloodmoon chaos passed last month brother Karl, guess we better find another rock to carve instructions on how to awaken our dark masters in 10k years... write it in that new trade tongue too."

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Imagine a world where folks attempt to unlock the ultimate evil or fulfill the prophecy only to realize they're in the wrong spot due to mistranslation or historical misunderstanding

"Oh shit thats right they used the old imperial calendar, the time to unlock the bloodmoon chaos passed last month brother Karl, guess we better find another rock to carve instructions on how to awaken our dark masters in 10k years... write it in that new trade tongue too."
I dont have a name or an author, but I read a book like that, where these cultists meant to summon a god, but it was fucked up due to translation errors, and they summoned something else.

So these cultists then ended up becoming the heroes who killed the beast, and then used their hero status to cement the real summoning ritual into history.

I remember the last few chapters were super depressing, with a cut to the future, where the real and correct evil god was summoned, and just wrecked shit.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:20 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I dont have a name or an author, but I read a book like that, where these cultists meant to summon a god, but it was fucked up due to translation errors, and they summoned something else.

So these cultists then ended up becoming the heroes who killed the beast, and then used their hero status to cement the real summoning ritual into history.

I remember the last few chapters were super depressing, with a cut to the future, where the real and correct evil god was summoned, and just wrecked shit.
Ooh, seems a bit dark, lemme know if you remember the author.

Brings up a nice setting idea though, what about a world that's already ended? A husk of a planet where some explosion or giant monster ripped the core of it out and it looks like a cartoonish render of a crescent moon because its center's been ripped out and there's just debris trailing out to space

People living on the remnants in bubbles of air from tech or magic, but nothing grows right or they're losing power, etc...

Do you try and fling a light into the future with some kind of record of what happened or prophecy on how to destroy or prevent the evil or disaster that befell your home? Do you chase after the thing or person that did this to you or do you just run the other way or look for a new place if it's already been defeated or trapped there with you?

Do you scramble to fix things or try and provide for someone else on the world? Some newly developing civilization or surviving society that's now thriving in conditions that're killing yours?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-13-2017, 06:57 PM

World Builder

Bumping thread since I'm recovered enough to no longer need to stay with family and am back at my own apartment and computer.

My recent health issues made me think of health and wellness in fantasy settings a bit. What a nightmare separating out actual healing from bunk healing would be, how surgery and modern medical techniques might compare or work alongside magical healing, etc

Some of my thoughts ended up in this entry for goblin week awhile back

http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/pos...ne-and-healers

Quote:
Goblins are naturally resilient little bogles often eating things or mucking about in environments that would leave humans ill, if not dead, after prolonged exposure. Goblins are also capable of sustaining injuries that would take months or years to heal in other species, but even the tenacious goblin can be worn down by some forms of disease, poison, parasite, and injury. Because goblin settlements tend to be so populous, and smaller goblin communities need to be self-sufficient to survive, goblins have developed a wide variety of healing techniques to help keep their families up and running.
Plague-Ticklers: Due to often making their homes near venomous animals and poisonous plants, goblins have learned the value of leeches blood sucking properties to extract tainted blood, or transport blood from one ‘donor’ to another, first practiced exclusively on giant grubs and frogs used for livestock, leeches are now popularly utilized amidst goblins on themselves and other travelers in need of aid. Further research has also caused them to branch to other animals, and experienced Plague-Ticklers have been known to keep multi-chambered clay pots strapped to their backs filed with leeches in water, maggots, bees with honeycombs, and giant ants. Some have argued this makes Plague-ticklers more heavily armed than many human alchemists, or dwarf clerics, as a well lobbed glob of pyre-honey is as explosive as the finest of fire potions or divine flames.

Spore-Cropper: A variant of slime-handlers and weavers that focus on the healing properties of mold, fungus, and rot. Discovered when the corpse of a fallen goblin shaman sprouted mushroom spores that immunized those around them from the plague that had been devastating their tribe. In the years since, many goblin settlements have created or expanded mushroom gardens used to cultivate not just food, but curative pastes, oozes, and powders for all manner of ailments by mixing and matching different corpses, chemicals, and magics on various fungi and molds. Due to the sometimes toxic nature of their materials, most spore-croppers set up on the outskirts of their settlements or in secluded caverns, and wear thick shawls, masks, and gloves, when handling their materials. Despite the somewhat grotesque and macabre nature of their work spore-croppers tend to be surprisingly upbeat and sometimes erratic, possibly from exposure to some of their own wares, some of which are becoming popular for recreational usage rather than medical.

Hack-Needlers: A particularly grisly form of new medical procedure, goblins are rather direct problem solvers despite their common creative streaks, and so in recent years goblins have made great strides in the simple time honored traditions of chopping off the cause of ailments, sewing wounds back shut, or even re-attaching lost, limbs or ‘donated’ organs. While most elven clerics and menders balk at such acts as ‘barbaric’, more and more healers are beginning to follow suit with similar traditions as the needlers succeed in returning once hobbled or bedridden goblins to health. Most operations begin with a dose of spider venom to keep the patient numb (though in most cases still dreadfully aware), while they are hacked open to remove offending diseased or damaged flesh and replace it with a freshly acquired organ, typically from a compatible stomach or heart from one of the many varieties of giant worm they carry, but it’s not unusual nowadays to see goblins waltzing around with a leg, arm, or even face, from another goblin, animal, or other species.
But I've also been thinking on a kind of horrifying premise

What if magical healing worked for lacerations and most diseases, but ended up causing cancers later on down the line for people who had intense or repeated usage due to how it affects cells? Could range from mundane cancer to more horrifying eldritch tentacle-tumors and the like, but it's a rather terrifying notion to consider.

Though it might make a nice point of debate between an alchemic college of surgeons and a school of oldtimey elven druids or healing priests and such.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-13-2017, 07:52 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

'Healing magic is literally cancer' is always a cool concept, but I particularly like the idea of professional and ideological tensions between doctors of 'magic' and doctors of 'physic.'

---

To continue my earlier theme of Greater Monsters, let me tell you of the dueling titans.

There is an ocean, maybe a little larger than our Pacific, but where the seabed drops steeply away into an unfathomably deep abyss. Where the Pacific is basically a sheet of colliding and pockmarked plates, the Agreinic Ocean is a tremendous basin.

The shores of this ocean are constantly wracked by storms and colossal waves, stirred by the eternal conflict between Kraken and Leviathan. These two beasts are each the size of a small continent, and neither seems to care for nor even to notice anything but their foe as they grapple among waves like mountains in their great arena. Their embattled roars can be heard hundreds of miles away.

It is said that the death of Kraken will usher the end of the world, and that the death of Leviathan will presage the doom of all gods. Superstition, of course, and they have been struggling for centuries, for millennia, for nobody-truly-knows-how-long without either striking a decisive blow, but the legend has persisted for far longer than it has any right. It has been found across cultures and civilizations and continents. Always Kraken's fall is associated with a rain of burning metal sent to scour all corners of the world, and always Leviathan's demise is associated with an empty sky.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 PM

World Builder

Quote:
'Healing magic is literally cancer' is always a cool concept, but I particularly like the idea of professional and ideological tensions between doctors of 'magic' and doctors of 'physic.'

---

To continue my earlier theme of Greater Monsters, let me tell you of the dueling titans.

There is an ocean, maybe a little larger than our Pacific, but where the seabed drops steeply away into an unfathomably deep abyss. Where the Pacific is basically a sheet of colliding and pockmarked plates, the Agreinic Ocean is a tremendous basin.

The shores of this ocean are constantly wracked by storms and colossal waves, stirred by the eternal conflict between Kraken and Leviathan. These two beasts are each the size of a small continent, and neither seems to care for nor even to notice anything but their foe as they grapple among waves like mountains in their great arena. Their embattled roars can be heard hundreds of miles away.

It is said that the death of Kraken will usher the end of the world, and that the death of Leviathan will presage the doom of all gods. Superstition, of course, and they have been struggling for centuries, for millennia, for nobody-truly-knows-how-long without either striking a decisive blow, but the legend has persisted for far longer than it has any right. It has been found across cultures and civilizations and continents. Always Kraken's fall is associated with a rain of burning metal sent to scour all corners of the world, and always Leviathan's demise is associated with an empty sky.
1. Thanks, I imagine 'physic' doctors (surgeons, 'butchers', hackneedlers, hacksaws, skintailors) are more popular among goblin and orc and such populations because they have fewer healing based casters and elves and such initially have more healing casters and see techniques that leave scars or are invasive as bordering on sadistic madness.

2. Both of those sound like sterilization / quarantine procedures on a planetary level. If one of them wins the planet is glassed, if the other wins, the planet is sealed off in a pocket dimension or encased in a planet-sized magitech bubble or something.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
2. Both of those sound like sterilization / quarantine procedures on a planetary level. If one of them wins the planet is glassed, if the other wins, the planet is sealed off in a pocket dimension or encased in a planet-sized magitech bubble or something.
You're neglecting a third possibility, which is that both lose.

I confess, I have a weakness for the grandiose.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM

World Builder

Quote:
You're neglecting a third possibility, which is that both lose.

I confess, I have a weakness for the grandiose.
Because they kill each other, or something else kills them both? Hehe, nothing wrong with the grandiose.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-07-2017, 02:46 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I think I've finally come to a point where i feel fine with the magic ystem I've been working on for the inner world system that I've been thinking of for a year or two.

In this world the forces of magic and the world is divided into nine types.
You got the four terrestrial forces, Earth, Water, Air and Fire.
Alongside these four lies the dual heavenly forces of Light and Dark.
Working in tandem with these sic forces lies the the dual forces that governs all living things, Life and Death. Life and Death can be further split up into the partial forces of Body, Mind and Spirit.
Above, and below, within and without lies the ultimate force of Energy that is just commonly known as Lightning.
These nine forces makes up reality to the denizens of the Inner World.

From these nine forces comes all the varied magics.

Those that are conceived and borne in the Inner World have certain affinities to the gem of the month they are born. These gems correspond to certain elements or derivatives of elements which is often the magic that these persons are especially gifted at if they possess the divine gift of Magic. Deviations often occur, a person that is prematurely born often possess affinity with the gem of the month that they were supposed to be born at but also the accidental month that became their birth month.
Casters also have some minor affinity with magics of the months of that passed while they were borne.
This has the effect that beings such as humans and goblins that are carried by their mothers for around nine months have some affinity with nine of the monthly gems but often lack ability to control the magics of the other 3 months whereas elves and dwarves that are carried for twelve months and longer possess no lack of affinity with any of the birth gems.
Some more gifted people can have higher affinity with more than one gem. Those born in the early days of the next month can be gifted with high affinity of both of the last months.
There also exist further deviants that have great affinity with both gems that lies further back in their development but these are rare but they're also those that can have affinity with more than two birth gems.
Beyond this lies the true deviants, those that have no affinity with their birth gem but with others. These are the most rare, less than one out of a thousand of those gifted with Magic.
Magi are further split into two main categories with some rare deviants.
Augmenters that rely on close range and touch based magics and Conjurers that are weak in the close range but excel in the long range.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM

World Builder

Nice set-up. Do you use Real world months or have you made your own calendar?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Nice set-up. Do you use Real world months or have you made your own calendar?
At the moment I'm using Real World months and birth gems but I'm considering going over to one of the old pagan calendars that had 13 months of 28 days with an extra day added at the end of the fourth year. I can skip that extra day entirely, the Inner world is an artificial experimental world that has "evolved" with the aid of the "gods" that inhabited it since it's creators defeat.

I think I posted the origin of the Hollow World in another thread. Let me check.

Edit:

Found it.

Quote:
The hollow world concept I'm working on was born from some of the wilder ideas we had at the start of Solcu, especially the elven creation myth I wrote for the hollow world we were thinking of using which then got scrapped for an ordinary world:

The Hollow World Project were the most ambitious creation of the Aethori during their second golden age.
Made to be a world-sized lifeboat for the Ashtari people if they ever found themselves losing to the nemesis or other forces but also to see what their brightest minds could achieve with enough funding. The Aetherum Sanctuary had at the time grown to be several continent-sized stations in orbit around the brown dwarf with the framework for connecting these into an ever larger construct being set in motion and they wanted to see what they could achieve with the knowledge and experience acquired developing it.

The outer shell were made first and set in orbit around a stable star. While they worked on creating the inner artificial star that would light up the inner sphere with a perpetual light, creating a paradise of perfect climate control, with bountiful harvests without the worry of cosmic dangers with the protection of the outer shell, they began to colonize it. Enormous cities and laboratories spread out over the outer surface, with more than a billion inhabitants managing and providing the workforce with whatever they needed to finalize their ambitions.

It wasn't long after the inner star had been created, still not stable as it scourched the inner surface in heat and flames, that things took a turn for the worse. A galaxy spanning war had been waged between the Aethori and their eternal nemesis. The nemesis gained the advantage when they brought in a new ally, a terrible menace that quickly consumed numerous minor worlds of the Aethori. As the end neared for the Aethori empire did a massive nemesis fleet decend upon the HWP. The Aethori put up a heroic defense but they were outnumbered many fold. Their defensive fleet burned in the skies and the enemy set loose their infernal siege engines upon the outer surface. cities and laboratories shattered and burned under the onslaught as the remaining Aethori fled using what ships they could find or by creating portals to distant worlds, a speciality of the Aethori that they mastered in their early years.

Yet some refused to abandoned their creation. A number of young nobles, the elites of the Aethori, took refuge in the grand temple of the capital city. Hailing from all of the nobility of the ten tribes, even a few from the most exalted house of Yaskaleh.
There they gathered, lead by a princess of the tenth tribe in prayer to the two deities of the Aethori. A last desperate act as the concentrated bombardment on the grand temple were rapidly weakening it's defensive shield.

As it reached critical condition did something unexpected occur. The Archlord of the tenth tribe, King if you prefer such archaic terms, died defending the desperate evacuation of his tribe from their capital world.
Among the many princes and princesses of his house, the most promising members, she was the one that would receive the spirit of their progenitor. The leader of each tribe is chosen by the spirit of the tribe's original progenitor and only from one that has inherited his blood.
Her mind and power expanded manyfold as she became exalted above her peers and she reached out to their gods, asking to be made avatar of their tremendous power so that she could save her people and the creation of theirs.

And they answered, both of them. When an Aethori of enough purity of spirit gives themself as a sacrifice can the god or goddess take form in them as an avatar, killing the host but allowing the god or goddess to directly act. But the most rare and terrifying event is when both deities possesses the sacrifice. No single soul can stand the pressure and not just their physical form but their very soul is consumed in the process. This is a most terrifying event as it leaves a scar upon the very fabric of the universe, affecting anyone and anything that comes in contact with it. Though none will remember the person as the very memory of it's existence is consumed they cannot ever forget the absence either. Whole sapient mortal species have been driven mad upon interacting with such a scar and even the Aethori are affected by it. All Aethori carry scars upon their souls for each and every one of their kind that has done this ultimate sacrifice and it weights heavily upon them.

The avatar gazed upon the fleet in orbit and burned it to ashes. None were spared as the divine wrath descended upon the hated nemesis. Her task were done yet she didn't burn out for the nobles around her cried out and poured all of their might into her in a futile act to hold off the inevitable. As their physical forms were turned into pure energy as fuel to keep her divine fire burning, an ability of the Aethori as they're beings both material and energy, did she do what she could to protect her people and their creation. She stabilized their energy forms and poured a small shard of her divine fire into each and every one of them. She gave them a task. They would forever be bound to the hollow world, to protect and nurture it so that it can reach it's full potential. As they stabilized she moved into orbit and opened up an enormous portal to a place far away and threw the world into it before she were consumed. The agonizing scream of despair and terror as her soul burned out would forever taint the minds of the small deities she had created.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 03-07-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM

World Builder

Oof, soul erasure and memory loss are a harsh mix

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-07-2017, 03:01 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Oof, soul erasure and memory loss are a harsh mix
I like to make setting where deus ex machina exist but it has really dire and terrible consequences, probably worse than not using them. Everything has a price.

The minor deities would live up to their task, restoring the ruins on the surface and extracting enough information from what remains of it's databases to complete the hollow world. But the psychic scarring would slowly degenerate their spirits to unrecognizable forms, leading ultimately to their demise. The deities would leave "offspring" that would ultimately evolve to be the gods of the mortal species that would inhabit the completed inner surface.

Species such as humans, elves, dwarves and goblins would come to be from the knowledge that the first deities gained from the fragmented databases. The Hollow World itself would come to drift at high speed from system to system, having the surface turn from livable conditions to extremely frigid temperatures and back again as hundreds of thousands of years passes. In the time that any stories are set the Hollow World has left a solar system where it acquired some newer inhabitants.
The surface has frozen over with temperatures below -50C with the inner regions closest to the polar openings experiences far colder climates than the "equatorial" band. The planet is not a perfect sphere so the central region gets more warmth from the inner sun than the polar regions.
If a person tries to reach the surface from the inner world he has to traverse a frozen region dominated by colossal ice mountains before reaching the circular opening. The circular openings are crested by glacial mountains so tall they almost close the opening. It is thanks to these glacial mountains that a traveler can reach the Seat of the Gods. The mythological Seat of the Gods are two sky stations that are perfectly set in the middle of the polar openings. These "Heavenly Castles" regulate the inflow of energy and dust from the outer space that are then refined and fed into the Inner Solar Region. This cosmic energy and dust is further refined in the "moons" and "stars" that orbit around the Inner Sun. Once adequately refined into clusters of precious metals, gems and minerals, they are then thrust out into the Inner Solar Region as "comets" and "meteors" that fall on the inner surface. The "core" of the World Shell also works as a "refinement engine" that circulate molten rock and ores and create the magnetic field that protects the Hollow World and generates the gravity.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 03-07-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Tags
creative, worldbuilding