Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM
GenyaArikado GenyaArikado is offline

Banished
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,294

Default

OMG, HoS Mod. I'm still kinda sad that it never happened
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,546
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Welcome back, Kenzuki .

No need to apologize, all of us had our flaws when we were young .
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,112

Default

Pleased to meet you! Let me know if you want to argue religion sometime.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,903

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Bolvar is serious, but Bolvar also likes K-Pop.
K-Pop is awesome. Why do you say this as if it's derogatory.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Dagren Dagren is offline

Demon Hunter
Dagren's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Not all of us (looks down in shame)
Yeah well most of us... a few? but you can't say that. Although it's true I can't remember you being childish about anything so maybe you've not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
And speaking of, you should post more too! The fogey's need all the help they can get, otherwise all the young-un's will steal our lore-security checks.
I would, but only reading new posts already takes a lot of my free time. I blame my job, my sports and my gamer life.
However I'm always here to vote for old-timer friendly laws and to grab my checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
And I said, JUST WAIT, KENZUKI. THE DAY WILL COME WHEN ARTHAS WILL BECOME A RAID BOSS. THEN I'LL SAY I TOLD YOU SO.

Well...

Deep down we all laughed it off, never really believing World of Warcraft would take it that far.
And I remember you being rude to me after I told you the major lore characters' deaths to players were canon


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
I remember that Tim, and I was always hyper-anal about the RPG books. You'd think it was my freaken Bible or something lol.
You did come from the old white wolf forums, IIRC. To think those books are completely useless now
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Flamestrider Flamestrider is offline

Arch-Druid
Flamestrider's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,070

Default

Apologies for the egregious thread necromancy, but I was going on something of a memory trip and was pretty astonished to find this post. It's just not that often that you see people apologize unprompted for five-year-old trolling.

In the event that Kenzuki is still around 7 years after posting this, I really appreciate it as the person who was possibly your primary antagonist in online debates circa 2007. I was a teenager myself back then, and probably often more combative than the situation warranted. My own politics haven't changed too much -- if anything, I'm somewhat further to the left than I was then, as a result of meeting a lot of people with backgrounds very different than my own. I expect we still disagree on way more things than we agree on. But the notion that I could probably have a reasoned conversation with somebody whom I primarily associate with vitriol-filled online debates about the innate morality/intelligence of orcs is somehow really comforting to me, especially in the present political moment. So thank you.

Also, hi other people I knew back in the day if any of you are still around (Aldrius? Timolas? Kerrah? Omacron? ARM?). What's new?
__________________
Many thanks to handclaw for his amazing rendition of Kargath Bladefist, which is now my avatar.

Last edited by Flamestrider; 01-11-2019 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamestrider View Post
(Aldrius? Timolas? Kerrah? Omacron? ARM?)
Yes, no, no yes, yes.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:53 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,373

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamestrider View Post
Apologies for the egregious thread necromancy, but I was going on something of a memory trip and was pretty astonished to find this post. It's just not that often that you see people apologize unprompted for five-year-old trolling.

In the event that Kenzuki is still around 7 years after posting this, I really appreciate it as the person who was possibly your primary antagonist in online debates circa 2007. I was a teenager myself back then, and probably often more combative than the situation warranted. My own politics haven't changed too much -- if anything, I'm somewhat further to the left than I was then, as a result of meeting a lot of people with backgrounds very different than my own. I expect we still disagree on way more things than we agree on. But the notion that I could probably have a reasoned conversation with somebody whom I primarily associate with vitriol-filled online debates about the innate morality/intelligence of orcs is somehow really comforting to me, especially in the present political moment. So thank you.

Also, hi other people I knew back in the day if any of you are still around (Aldrius? Timolas? Kerrah? Omacron? ARM?). What's new?
Well now, I don't recall you at all, and judging by those names you might've been before my time, but you seem a very friendly sort, nice to see you.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:34 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,954

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamestrider View Post
Apologies for the egregious thread necromancy, but I was going on something of a memory trip and was pretty astonished to find this post. It's just not that often that you see people apologize unprompted for five-year-old trolling.

In the event that Kenzuki is still around 7 years after posting this, I really appreciate it as the person who was possibly your primary antagonist in online debates circa 2007. I was a teenager myself back then, and probably often more combative than the situation warranted. My own politics haven't changed too much -- if anything, I'm somewhat further to the left than I was then, as a result of meeting a lot of people with backgrounds very different than my own. I expect we still disagree on way more things than we agree on. But the notion that I could probably have a reasoned conversation with somebody whom I primarily associate with vitriol-filled online debates about the innate morality/intelligence of orcs is somehow really comforting to me, especially in the present political moment. So thank you.

Also, hi other people I knew back in the day if any of you are still around (Aldrius? Timolas? Kerrah? Omacron? ARM?). What's new?
I remember your fan-made map. Do you still have it somewhere?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-19-2019, 03:45 PM
Flamestrider Flamestrider is offline

Arch-Druid
Flamestrider's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,070

Default

Yup; actually it was up on my wall for most of the past decade; in the last two years when I've been living in smaller apartments with less space I've tucked it away for safekeeping...

Warcraft was probably the first game whose lore I really fell for in a big way. WoW in most ways initially helped with this -- I loved the vastness and openness of the world. But the relentless logic of the expansions eventually got to me (I loved the way Outland looked, but the utterly botched characterization of the Illidari was very disillusioning). There are certain kinds of stories that MMOs are good at telling and others that they aren't well suited to, and I feel like increasingly they have been trying to tell the latter stories.

For the past ten years or so my main fantasy world outlets (when I have time for them) have been Elder Scrolls lore and Magic the Gathering (the actual story isn't my thing, but I appreciate the interplay of flavor and card design).

All this is to say I don't forsee hanging around here for the long haul but thanks for indulging my resurrection of a seven-year-old thread!
__________________
Many thanks to handclaw for his amazing rendition of Kargath Bladefist, which is now my avatar.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,990
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

Wow I can't believe it's been 8 years typing at you chuckle heads, Sometimes I miss you muppets. <3
__________________
“Listen to the Chair Leg of Truth! It does not lie!”

Last edited by Sonneillon; 01-20-2019 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Gurzog Gurzog is offline

Banished
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,056
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Default

i hope you all die tonight in your sleep.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-20-2019, 01:17 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,895

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonneillon View Post
wow i can't believe it's been 18 years typing at you chuckle heads, sometimes i miss you muppets. <3
8.

Also, Gurzog gets another warning.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Nozdormu Nozdormu is offline

Lord of Time
Nozdormu's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,862

Default

I'm with Gurzog.
__________________
{ Bronze Dragons fly at 88 mph }
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,373

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
I'm with Gurzog.
But why porque?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 01-24-2019, 03:41 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
I'm with Gurzog.
Long time no see bronze one
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-24-2019, 04:49 AM
HoodedMan HoodedMan is offline

Arch-Druid
HoodedMan's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nexus
Posts: 1,495

Default

I really like threads like these. Shows a small history of the forums. Many of the forums I killed my time at are long gone. It was mostly Marvel (and other comics in general) related Russian speaking forums. I dont even remember the names of some of them, but I felt great sadness when I learned many have been deleted and the biggest one (Spidermedia.ru) was also purged of forums.

As was mentioned elsewhere, this is a dying format and I am yet to lear how to use Discord.
__________________
Someday I will finish this...
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,591

Default

This is indeed a dying format, but I feel that SoL's decline was mainly because of two main reasons-
1. The Discord
2. The toxicity of political debates.


The Discord offers a platform where none of the latter happens. And whilst we can definitely say that you cannot ignore politics, and we can definitely say that everything is political to a certain extent, the kind of rubbish that people were flinging at each other was a turn-off for many, me included.

People who I once respected for their opinions on WoW turned out to be some of the most volatile. I do not like speaking ill about posters who are mostly gone but the kind of stuff from all sides of the political spectrum(yes, there are more than two sides, let's stop acting as if the Centre is not a side) that I used to see down here was one of the main reasons why I stopped posting frequently.


Why am I digging up old wounds now? Because Scrolls of Lore is an interesting case study. This forum(and many other World of Warcraft sites) was at the heart of it, not just since Gamergate but before as well. It was always a hotbed, but during those times it became something entirely unexpected.


I am a frequent poster on British political subreddits that have learned moderation the hard way. And I honestly feel that this forum's moderation was unprepared for how volatile things were going to get. Weirdly enough there seems to be a good deal of correlation between World of Warcraft forums and these kinds of discussions.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,308

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
This is indeed a dying format, but I feel that SoL's decline was mainly because of two main reasons-
1. The Discord
2. The toxicity of political debates.


The Discord offers a platform where none of the latter happens. And whilst we can definitely say that you cannot ignore politics, and we can definitely say that everything is political to a certain extent, the kind of rubbish that people were flinging at each other was a turn-off for many, me included.

People who I once respected for their opinions on WoW turned out to be some of the most volatile. I do not like speaking ill about posters who are mostly gone but the kind of stuff from all sides of the political spectrum(yes, there are more than two sides, let's stop acting as if the Centre is not a side) that I used to see down here was one of the main reasons why I stopped posting frequently.


Why am I digging up old wounds now? Because Scrolls of Lore is an interesting case study. This forum(and many other World of Warcraft sites) was at the heart of it, not just since Gamergate but before as well. It was always a hotbed, but during those times it became something entirely unexpected.


I am a frequent poster on British political subreddits that have learned moderation the hard way. And I honestly feel that this forum's moderation was unprepared for how volatile things were going to get. Weirdly enough there seems to be a good deal of correlation between World of Warcraft forums and these kinds of discussions.
No, this is everywhere right now. A couple of rare exceptions to moderation popped up that allowed people to do and say whatever they want as long as it wasn't legal. Suddenly a bunch of nerds thought the rest of the internet had been like that all along and pretended to be outraged when they couldn't spread their bullshit everywhere.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 PM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,591

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
No, this is everywhere right now. A couple of rare exceptions to moderation popped up that allowed people to do and say whatever they want as long as it wasn't legal. Suddenly a bunch of nerds thought the rest of the internet had been like that all along and pretended to be outraged when they couldn't spread their bullshit everywhere.

Those British subreddits help in that they basically end up downvoting, well, anything shocking to oblivion. And since they are dominated by young people, they tend to be pretty heavily left of centre.


And those subreddits are actually the main subreddits for the United Kingdom and UK Politics.


With that being said, after the last 9 years that the Tories have been in power, you could hardly blame the British youth for being so left leaning.

Hell I used to be a Tory supporter back in the early days of my time on Scrolls of Lore(when I was close to 18 years old), but now I'm pretty firmly inclined towards Labour or Greens. The only issue I have with the Greens is their frankly naive Defence policy and their stance on Nuclear Power, so Labour it is.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 06-24-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,546
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
This is indeed a dying format, but I feel that SoL's decline was mainly because of two main reasons-
1. The Discord
2. The toxicity of political debates.


The Discord offers a platform where none of the latter happens. And whilst we can definitely say that you cannot ignore politics, and we can definitely say that everything is political to a certain extent, the kind of rubbish that people were flinging at each other was a turn-off for many, me included.

People who I once respected for their opinions on WoW turned out to be some of the most volatile. I do not like speaking ill about posters who are mostly gone but the kind of stuff from all sides of the political spectrum(yes, there are more than two sides, let's stop acting as if the Centre is not a side) that I used to see down here was one of the main reasons why I stopped posting frequently.


Why am I digging up old wounds now? Because Scrolls of Lore is an interesting case study. This forum(and many other World of Warcraft sites) was at the heart of it, not just since Gamergate but before as well. It was always a hotbed, but during those times it became something entirely unexpected.


I am a frequent poster on British political subreddits that have learned moderation the hard way. And I honestly feel that this forum's moderation was unprepared for how volatile things were going to get. Weirdly enough there seems to be a good deal of correlation between World of Warcraft forums and these kinds of discussions.
The decline started waaay before that, and the main culprit was excessive moderation.

Originally, you wanted to win an argument, you fought for it.

Then, when everyone and their mother started getting moderator rights, many went the easy route and started abusing their moderator powers to cheat and win arguments.

We started getting new rules like "don't post too much", "don't post too many memes", "don't be annoying", which anyone with half a brain could see were manufactured on purpose to target specific users.

It became even more egregious when said rules were only applied to part of the posters, while the rest, specially the mods, got a free pass.

I can be annoying and I can spam memes all I want, but get ready for an assing if you dare to do the same.

Speaking of which, many of the "punishments" created to enforce these new rules were far from fair or even moral. Most of them sought humiliation, demonstration of power, etc.

The forum was on the way to its deathbed far before SJW culture outrage stepped in, which only helped to reinforce the ongoing direction, since the main culprits didn't even bother trying to hide their intentions anymore.

This place was great in the beginning. It was wild, it was savage, and that's what made it special, since you had a level of freedom nonexistent in other places like MMO-C or the official forums.

Power-tripping assholes ruined this place.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Kyalin V. Raintree Kyalin V. Raintree is offline

Priestess of the Moon
Kyalin V. Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 543

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The decline started waaay before that, and the main culprit was excessive moderation.

Originally, you wanted to win an argument, you fought for it.

Then, when everyone and their mother started getting moderator rights, many went the easy route and started abusing their moderator powers to cheat and win arguments.

We started getting new rules like "don't post too much", "don't post too many memes", "don't be annoying", which anyone with half a brain could see were manufactured on purpose to target specific users.

It became even more egregious when said rules were only applied to part of the posters, while the rest, specially the mods, got a free pass.

I can be annoying and I can spam memes all I want, but get ready for an assing if you dare to do the same.

Speaking of which, many of the "punishments" created to enforce these new rules were far from fair or even moral. Most of them sought humiliation, demonstration of power, etc.

The forum was on the way to its deathbed far before SJW culture outrage stepped in, which only helped to reinforce the ongoing direction, since the main culprits didn't even bother trying to hide their intentions anymore.

This place was great in the beginning. It was wild, it was savage, and that's what made it special, since you had a level of freedom nonexistent in other places like MMO-C or the official forums.

Power-tripping assholes ruined this place.
I think this highlights the problem with arbitrary, non-rule based moderation. I brought up that I think such moderation should take place on the Discord as well, but I quickly got shot down, but my opinion hasn't changed.

Clear, consistent rules make it easier for everyone - It's easier on the mods, it's easier on those who are governed by the mods, and it nips issues in the bud while not inviting questions of bias.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,373

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post

Power-tripping assholes ruined this place.
I mean, I feel the toxicity became a problem long before the moderation was.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,660
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
This place was great in the beginning. It was wild, it was savage, and that's what made it special, since you had a level of freedom nonexistent in other places like MMO-C or the official forums.
Now this is some next-level delusional nostalgia.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Ardeiute Ardeiute is offline

Arch-Druid
Ardeiute's Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,318

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I mean, I feel the toxicity became a problem long before the moderation was.
I feel that the harsh moderation was because of the extreme toxicity. Unless that's what you were saying and it went over my head.
__________________
(Created by Unstable Portal)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.