Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #56301  
Old 08-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I never saw it on the news.
I suggest Flipboard, gets news stories from all over, buncha outlets. Buncha topics.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #56302  
Old 08-24-2017, 05:09 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

So all those blue collar workers that see stuff like this will just vote for Trump again right?
Reply With Quote
  #56303  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,503

Default

So, Trump appears to be breaking with the GOP pretty hard, any thoughts on what this'll mean for him longterm over the next few years?



A Sidenote:

http://wigmund.tumblr.com/post/16456...kingfemalefury

__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #56304  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
So, Trump appears to be breaking with the GOP pretty hard, any thoughts on what this'll mean for him longterm over the next few years?
A weak first term with a strong second one, with traditional conservatives culled.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #56305  
Old 08-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quick question. Should I invest in popcorn stocks? I feel like after 8 years of Trump, the only edible food product that's still manufactured in the US is going to be that salty, greasy opiate of the film masses.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #56306  
Old 08-25-2017, 01:06 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,503

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
A weak first term with a strong second one, with traditional conservatives culled.
I dunno, the rate of turnover seems like it'll be a bit of a hurdle in him getting anything done.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #56307  
Old 08-25-2017, 05:30 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,229

Default

Plus in his fist major face off against the establishment, weather or not to sanction Russia, he bowed down to pressure. He has already lost the battle if not the war too.

He says he wants to bring down the establishment, which is admittedly more than any recent president, but so far his track record is pretty much zero. And the people he initially picked for his cabinet were hardly outsiders. So lets just say that draining the swamp is at the very least on hold.
Reply With Quote
  #56308  
Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Mertico Mertico is offline

Elune
Mertico's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
So, Trump appears to be breaking with the GOP pretty hard, any thoughts on what this'll mean for him longterm over the next few years?



A Sidenote:

http://wigmund.tumblr.com/post/16456...kingfemalefury

Hasn't the main Democrat talking point for a few weeks been how antifa are just like WWII vets?
Reply With Quote
  #56309  
Old 08-25-2017, 08:25 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Everyone should have the right to protest and speak not just he woman march.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 08-25-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #56310  
Old 08-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

The CIA no longer has any faith in its leadership and is watching him closely.
http://www.businessinsider.com/cia-d...o-trump-2017-8
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #56311  
Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/23/mi...tm_campaign=im

Mike Rowe is putting his communication degree to good use.

Basically someone accused him of supporting white nationalism because he is critical of academia and the value in so many degrees. You can't want to reform academia and make it better without some racial or anti-smart person agenda. It is simply beyond any sort of reproach.

Quote:
"One of the tenants of white nationalism is that college educated people are academic elitests. Comment? No? I'm not surprised. You never take a political stand because you don’t want to alienate anybody. Its bad for business. I get it. But there is a current of anti intellectualism in this country - promoted by Republicans. Those people love you, and they think your initiative is their initiative. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is kickin our ass academically."

Hi Chuck

Since we’re being candid, allow me to say how much I dislike your post. Everything about it annoys me – your smug and snarky tone, your appalling grammar, your complete lack of evidence to support your claims, and of course, the overarching logical fallacy that informs your entire position. What really bugs me though, is the fact that you’re not entirely wrong. It’s true; I haven’t shared any political opinions this week, in part anyway, because doing so might very well be “bad for business.”

What can I say? I work for half-a-dozen different companies, none of whom pay me to share my political opinions. I run a non-partisan foundation, I’m about to launch a new show on Facebook, and I’m very aware that celebrities pay a price for opening their big fat gobs. Gilbert Gottfried, Kathy Griffin, Colin Kaepernick, Milo Yiannopoulos…even that guy from Google who just got himself fired for mouthing off. There’s no getting around it – the first amendment does not guarantee the freedom to speak without consequences. And really, that’s fine by me.

So no – I’m not going to share my personal feelings about Charlottesville, President Trump, or the current effort to remove thousands of statues of long dead soldiers from the public square. Not just because it’s “bad for business,” but because it’s annoying. I can’t think of a single celebrity whose political opinion I value, and I’m not going to assume the country feels any differently about mine. So, rather than blow myself up, or chime in with all the obvious observations about the cowardly scum in the pointy hats, I’m going to talk instead about my belief that comments like yours pose a far greater threat to the future of our country than the existence of a memorial to Thomas Jefferson, or a monument to George Washington. Ready? Let’s start with a closer look at your claims.

You say that White Nationalists believe that everyone who goes to college is an “academic elite.” You then say that Republicans promote “anti-intellectualism.” You offer no proof to support either claim, but it really doesn’t matter – your statements successfully connect two radically different organizations by alleging a shared belief. Thus, White Nationalists and The Republican Party suddenly have something in common – a contempt for higher education. Then, you make it personal. You say that Republicans “love” me because they believe that my initiative and “their” initiative are one and the same. But of course, “their” initiative is now the same initiative as White Nationalists.

Very clever. Without offering a shred of evidence, you’ve implied that Republicans who support mikeroweWORKS do so because they believe I share their disdain for all things “intellectual.” And poof - just like that, Republicans, White Nationalists, and mikeroweWORKS are suddenly conflated, and the next thing you know, I’m off on a press tour to disavow rumors of my troubling association with the Nazis!

Far-fetched? Far from it. That’s how logical fallacies work. A flaw in reasoning or a mistaken belief undermines the logic of a conclusion, often leading to real-world consequences. And right now, logical fallacies are not limited to the warped beliefs of morons with tiki torches, and other morons calling for “more dead cops.” Logical fallacies are everywhere.
As I type this, a Democrat on CNN is making an argument that says, “because Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, those Republicans now opposed to tearing down his memorial are “pro-slavery,” and therefore aligned with the modern day KKK.” That’s a logical fallacy.

Over on Fox, a Republican is arguing that “any Democrat who has not yet condemned the Senator from Missouri for publicly wishing that Donald Trump be assassinated, is guilty of wishing for the exact same thing.” That’s a logical fallacy.

Yesterday, on The Science Channel, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, a noted astronomer, tweeted that the ability of scientists to accurately predict the solar eclipse, was proof that predictions of global warming were also accurate. That’s a logical fallacy.

Want to hear another one? Imagine something like this, unfolding over on MSNBC.

"Good Evening, America, our top story tonight… Chuck Atkins is a racist! Why? Because he can’t spell. Just look at his grammar! In a recent post on Mike Rowe’s Facebook page, Mr. Atkins, while bemoaning America’s global academic standing, not only misspelled “elitist,” he used “tenants” when he meant “tenets.” He neglected to use a hyphen in “anti-intellectual,” and he misplaced several commas and apostrophes! But why is he a racist, you ask? Simple. Because everyone knows racists are ignorant. Chuck Atkins is clearly a poor speller. Poor spelling and grammar are signs of ignorance. Ergo - Chuck Atkins is a racist! Boom! The matter is settled!"

There’s not much we can do about the news, but here on Facebook, I think we can do better. This isn’t Twitter. We’re not limited to a few inflammatory sentences and a flurry of emojis. Take a moment, Chuck. Think. Make a rational argument. Otherwise, just link us to a cat video. People love those, and they’re almost never “bad for business.” (Unless of course, the cat gets hurt. People hate that.) Just don’t assume that people will care about your beliefs, if you’re not willing to back them up with some relevant facts and a rational conclusion. Here, for instance, are a few facts that matter to me, with respect to my foundation and the recurring charge of “fostering anti-intellectualism.”

mikeroweWORKS is a PR campaign for the skilled trades. For the last nine years, we’ve partnered with numerous trade schools, raised millions of dollars for work-ethic scholarships, and called attention to millions of jobs that don’t require a four-year degree. But that doesn’t mean we’re “anti-intellectual.” We're not even “anti-college.” We simply reject the popular notion that a four-year degree is the best path for the most people. And we’re hardly alone.

Millions of reasonable people – Republicans and Democrats alike – are worried that our universities are doing a poor job of preparing students for the real world. They’re worried about activist professors, safe spaces, the rising cost of tuition, a growing contempt for history, and a simmering disregard of the first amendment. These people are concerned that our universities – once beacons of free speech – now pander to a relatively small percentage of students who can’t tolerate any political opinion that challenges their own. And they’re concerned – deeply concerned - that millions of good jobs are currently vacant that don’t require a four-year degree, or any of the catastrophic debt that comes with it.

Again - these are not the concerns of “anti-intellectuals." They are the concerns of people who care about the future of the country. I don’t know how many of these people are Republicans, but I can assure you that no one who actually supports my initiative is remotely confused about my feelings on education, because I’ve been crystal clear on that topic from the very beginning. To quote Thomas Jefferson, (while I still can,) "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free and live in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." On this point, my foundation does not equivocate.

In other words, Chuck, I have no idea what The White Nationalists think about my efforts, or the Republicans, the Democrats, the elitists, the Italians, the Presbyterians, the unions, or the self-proclaimed anti-intellectuals. And really, I couldn’t care less. My question is, why do you?
Mike

PS. Ok, I’ve just re-read this, (in a desperate search for typos,) and I want to apologize for pointing out that you’re a lousy speller. This is probably not the time to trot out The Grammar Nazi, but your tenor and tone pissed me off, and I responded in my own snarky way. Sorry.

PPS Maybe this is how political correctness begins? Maybe we start by correcting each other’s grammar, and then move on to the business of correcting everything else? Today a missing hyphen, tomorrow a missing monument. Or, maybe not.
Mike Rowe may not have a technical ability or a trade but his skill is in communicating. The way he can articulate that message and persuade people is the utility in his skill. It isn't because he believes a certain thing. That would only display a knowledge of what to think instead of how to think. Communication and that is a skill utterly lacking in many people who claim people skills is their forte when they simply come off as unaware douche bags living off of borrowed power.

Engineering is rigorous academically but is technically considered gray collar. One of the skills of a good engineer is being able to explain equipment to technicians and blue collar workers. People who don't have to interact with people of a different background would never have to develop that skill. It is something that someone who does study people should rightfully excel at but in many case they do not. Mike Rowe's degree doesn't make him because clearly other people with the same education don't do it nearly as well.
Reply With Quote
  #56312  
Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

So I guess the disobeying court orders is okay now. The president will just pardon you if you're found guilty of contempt of court. Maybe that only happens if what you're doing is racist, though.
The "party of law and order," everyone.
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 08-25-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #56313  
Old 08-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,519
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Where can a non-US person get a brief summary of the last 8 months of Trump?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56314  
Old 08-26-2017, 10:53 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Where can a non-US person get a brief summary of the last 8 months of Trump?
Good luck finding anything that isn't filled with partisan anger.
Reply With Quote
  #56315  
Old 08-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Where can a non-US person get a brief summary of the last 8 months of Trump?

In other news, DreamHost is being court ordered to turn over data after all.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/b...r.html?mcubz=1
http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecur...nti-trump-site
Where are the people who have been screaming "freedom of speech" regarding neonazis and why are they silent on this?
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 08-26-2017 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #56316  
Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,503

Default





Like, it goes on like this for awhile.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/blogs...n-camp-6500984

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ockups-7845679

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...s-boss-6445591

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/blogs...s-away-6500772

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...itches-6431602

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ly-one-6433038

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ration-6420876

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...design-8690032

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...rrests-6651491

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...nguish-6463426

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ht-now-6643711

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...illion-6629798

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/blogs...atinos-6501634

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...-do-it-6630628

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...hoenix-9548481

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...arshal-7514146

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...penses-7341280

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...eating-6627446

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...harges-6639596

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ernoon-6438729

This guy's a fucking monster, and Trump just Pardoned him.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #56317  
Old 08-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

It's always entertaining when a President pardons someone.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #56318  
Old 08-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

The NRA put out another ad calling for violence against people who aren't right wingers.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...oming-49433721
"We're coming for you." Fucking try it, bitch.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #56319  
Old 08-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,503

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The NRA put out another ad calling for violence against people who aren't right wingers.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...oming-49433721
"We're coming for you." Fucking try it, bitch.
Jesus Christ, has the NRA always been this crazy?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #56320  
Old 08-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Good luck finding anything that isn't filled with partisan anger.
Especially here. If he wants anything truthful or accurate on Trump, better run away from SoL as fast as possible.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #56321  
Old 08-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,503

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Especially here. If he wants anything truthful or accurate on Trump, better run away from SoL as fast as possible.
So what're your approved news sources?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #56322  
Old 08-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,692
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
So what're your approved news sources?
Breitbart?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #56323  
Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Jesus Christ, has the NRA always been this crazy?
They're a pretty terrible organization that quickly fell from their original purpose. It was founded in 1871 by two Civil War vets from the Union with the expressed purpose to help improve the marksmanship of urban northerners since the two felt their lack of said skill helped prolong the war against rural southerners. By the 1920s, they started campaigning against gun rights whenever convenient, to include:
- Supporting the requirement of a permit to concealed carry
- Supporting banning non-citizens from owning guns
- Supporting the requirement of records of gun sales that could be made available to police
- Helping write the National Firearms Act and Gun Control Act (look them up)
- Supporting the ban of mail-order sales (after JFK's death)
- Supporting CA's open-carry ban (after the Black Panther's gun rights march)
- Supporting the GCA a second time, adding age requirements, serial requirements, and restricting interstate sales
- Supporting no-fly-no-by
- Routinely supporting import restrictions and bans
- Remaining silent on gun rights cases like Philando Castile

I'm not sure about the older restrictions they supported, but it seems since the 60s they've been beholden to partisanship and their major donors (American gun manufacturers).
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #56324  
Old 08-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,692
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

What's up with these military plane crashes?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #56325  
Old 08-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
What's up with these military plane crashes?
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if there is a spike lately it's most likely the same problem that has caused the recent string of USN ship accidents.
Congress makes cuts to the military budget but doesn't slow down missions or ops tempos. The Joint Chiefs decide that the best way to make these cuts is to get rid of people and some equipment while keeping the rest of the budget system the same. Colonels and above still get brand new chairs and lobbies to make sure they get the money next year. Everybody else gets told "do more with less" and fatigue begins to set in.
Then, when shit breaks and/or people die, leadership acts shocked and gets upset.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.