Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-06-2017, 03:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
It isn't like the US has a food shortage or anything. Those businesses are just making things up to try to get their cheap and illegal labor back. They aren't going to avoid paying better wages or using more automation and let there be a food shortage just because American agriculture is that dependent on illegal legal.
Speaking of food, I read an article last night about how the USDA producing too much milk and offering incentives to fast food joints to use more cheese is White Supremacy.

Fun times
Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 PM

Echo of the Past

Panda

Okay, who masterminded the Japanime invasion of our politics threads? Is that you, Omacron?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Wow, that one really makes me think. What did he mean by this?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/u...t-ceiling.html
Member #14
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Elune

I kind of wanted congress to provide protection for children brought here by illegal parents in some form and then Obama said something and now I am not so sure.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
I kind of wanted congress to provide protection for children brought here by illegal parents in some form and then Obama said something and now I am not so sure.
The legislative branch absolutely should. The president should not
Old 09-06-2017, 07:05 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
So do Democrats like Trump now? Or are they just shaking their heads and laughing their asses off?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
So do Democrats like Trump now? Or are they just shaking their heads and laughing their asses off?
Neither. But it shouldnt be a surprise either. I told you all months ago he would work with Democrats (Which was always his claim).

Point in fact, I think the last person I told that to was Fojar, though it might have been Gani.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Unlike their colleagues, Dems will work with anybody as long as it means helping the American people. Also keep in mind that the RNC wanted 18 months of suspended ceiling to pack in as much pork as possible. The DNC, apparently the new party of fiscal responsibility, offered 3 and got it.
Remember when the RNC repeatedly held the debt ceiling hostage and shut down the government multiple times in the name of "fiscal responsibility?"
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-06-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
The legislative branch absolutely should. The president should not
Absolutely. Executive fiat is not something we should tolerate as a republic. Obama can't legislate on his own simply because congress doesn't want to vote the way he wants them to. It was a flagrant disregard to the will of the voters when he did that. They repudiated him at the polls but he is too pompous to realize how much damage he did to his own party. Some people simply don't care as long as the extra-constitutional action is done in their favor.

Congress is supposed to be our most powerful body. It isn't just a one on one contest every four years like the presidency. It is hundreds of elections and two chambers that happen more frequently. You also don't have the issue of a bunch of unelected bureaucrats mucking things up.

If DACA returns though I don't expect it to be the same executive order passed by Obama. The congressional process demands compromise.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Unlike their colleagues, Dems will work with anybody as long as it means helping the American people. Also keep in mind that the RNC wanted 18 months of suspended ceiling to pack in as much pork as possible. The DNC, apparently the new party of fiscal responsibility, offered 3 and got it.
Remember when the RNC repeatedly held the debt ceiling hostage and shut down the government multiple times in the name of "fiscal responsibility?"
So. Maybe Trump shouldn't be so scary to you?

EDIT: Imagine you have the power to make Trump resign and cause Pence to become president. Would you do it?

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-06-2017 at 07:39 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Elune

If Democrats really cared about the American people they would win more elections. That is how modern society measures public interest. There is an obvious contradiction if we just let any old douche bag claim they are for the people. More than one person would make that claim and many people would co-opt it for ulterior motives. No one can even claim to understand all of the people so there is also a credibility gap. Anyone that has any faith in our constitution would see that losing elections means you weren't doing a very good job at representing enough people especially when you lose repeatedly. You just become a deluded madman claiming to know what other people think but when it comes time to make a choice they always reject you.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Personally I think it just shows what an utterly vacillating person he is

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Absolutely. Executive fiat is not something we should tolerate as a republic. Obama can't legislate on his own simply because congress doesn't want to vote the way he wants them to. It was a flagrant disregard to the will of the voters when he did that. They repudiated him at the polls but he is too pompous to realize how much damage he did to his own party. Some people simply don't care as long as the extra-constitutional action is done in their favor.

Congress is supposed to be our most powerful body. It isn't just a one on one contest every four years like the presidency. It is hundreds of elections and two chambers that happen more frequently. You also don't have the issue of a bunch of unelected bureaucrats mucking things up.

If DACA returns though I don't expect it to be the same executive order passed by Obama. The congressional process demands compromise.
Trump DACA decision was a win for the Republic, now if Democrats and Republican in Congress can decide not to act like cowards, it could be a win for everyone.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 PM

World Builder

Quote:
If Democrats really cared about the American people they would win more elections.
1. Correlation =/= Causation

2. We kinda did for awhile in the Obama years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Trump DACA decision was a win for the Republic, now if Democrats and Republican in Congress can decide not to act like cowards, it could be a win for everyone.
I don't really think it's in keeping with the American ethic to deport a bunch of people back to countries they don't speak the language of and haven't been in since they were like, four.

DACA beneficiaries pay taxes but aren't eligible for most federal aid to the best of my knowledge, so they're not the same as most illegal immigrants anyway.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
1. Correlation =/= Causation

2. We kinda did for awhile in the Obama years.

I don't really think it's in keeping with the American ethic to deport a bunch of people back to countries they don't speak the language of and haven't been in since they were like, four.

DACA beneficiaries pay taxes but aren't eligible for most federal aid to the best of my knowledge, so they're not the same as most illegal immigrants anyway.
It being "good" doesnt excuse the way it was done
Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
It being "good" doesnt excuse the way it was done
Indeed
Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 AM

Elune

You feel bad for them and then you see stuff like this.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
You feel bad for them and then you see stuff like this.
You're playing this up like she was gloating about a free ride when that's not the case.

EDIT:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...4wOtJOGpPzmwO/

Quote:
“The reason I posted that tweet was to show others that you can accomplish anything, regardless of the obstacles you have in front of you,” she said. “It was a common trend on twitter to highlight your success through a tweet like that, and I saw many other students from across the country doing the same and sharing the things they’d overcome, so I thought I’d share mine.”

------

Lara said she was unprepared for the backlash she’s received. “After seeing all the harassment going around, I thought it was best to just deactivate my twitter, in attempts to ignore the harmful comments,” she said. “I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to twitter, I’ve realized that social media is filled with so many mean people, who always have something to say. But I just want everyone to understand that my tweet wasn’t made to mock anyone. I just wanted to show that no matter what barriers you have in front of you, you can still succeed. And I do pay taxes, have a DACA which allows me to work and study here, and I have a social security number.”
Moreover...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e32209b1b4cf
Quote:
“In accordance with state law, Texas universities — including the University of Texas schools —have for decades granted two-semester tuition waivers to valedictorians of Texas public high schools, without regard to their residency status,” UT Austin spokesperson Kylie Fitzpatrick told KXAN. “State law also does not distinguish between documented and undocumented graduates of Texas high schools in admissions and financial aid decisions. University policies reflect that law.”
She's fucking valedictorian, she pays her taxes, and you want to get rid of her because of paperwork? Isn't the conservatives whole deal that they only want really smart and skilled people immigrating?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Echo of the Past

Ms. "Nice Legs" was definitely gloating. Maybe she deserved to. Maybe her school had about 13 valedictorians, like one I know. Maybe she deserved her full ride to UT. Maybe she got the full ride because her essay talked about "struggling" as an immigrant.

I don't know. I do know that kind of gloating naturally turns me skeptical (similar to Trump), as bragging about an illegal status makes me question the common-sense level of her intelligence.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-07-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Ms. "Nice Legs" was definitely gloating.

I do know that kind of gloating naturally turns me skeptical (similar to Trump), as bragging about an illegal status makes me question the common-sense level of her intelligence.
1. This is an assumption.

2. Again, this is all based on your assumption she was gloating.

EDIT:

A side question, why'd you put that in quotes?

Quote:
Maybe she got the full ride because her essay talked about "struggling" as an immigrant.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 09-07-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Elune

Will the president do anything about the Russian birth tourism he's personally profiting from?
http://www.thedailybeast.com/russian...to-us-citizens
Member #14
Old 09-07-2017, 10:01 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
EDIT:

A side question, why'd you put that in quotes?
Because I know what essays look like for college admission and scholarships.

Also, being an immigrant as an infant/child doesn't necessarily mean you're going to struggle. (Especially if you don't have any student loans to repay!)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Because I know what essays look like for college admission and scholarships.

Also, being an immigrant as an infant/child doesn't necessarily mean you're going to struggle. (Especially if you don't have any student loans to repay!)
1. Howso?

2. True, but I feel like there's an inherent bias that immigrants get it easier / have free rides, rather than 'they might not have a hard time'

It feels like the assumption, rather than being neutral, is against them.

3. I don't understand the reasoning behind deporting people to nations they haven't been in since they were kids, it feels like a death sentence. They may not know the language, they may not know any family there, these places may be active warzones or in the midst of civil upheaval.

So we're paying to put taxpayers (Because DACA beneficiaries DO PAY TAXES), and what, kicking them into Mexico? Or are we straight up paying to put them on planes and boats back to other countries, which I'm pretty sure would cost more than just letting them stay and keep paying taxes.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Elune

Quote:
as bragging about an illegal status makes me question the common-sense level of her intelligence.
Wait, doesn't having a DACA status mean that she's documented as erm... undocumented anyway?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
She's fucking valedictorian, she pays her taxes, and you want to get rid of her because of paperwork? Isn't the conservatives whole deal that they only want really smart and skilled people immigrating?
Yes.. So she should get documented, and then there isn't an issue. And yes, immigration needs a reform, but its 100% not right for people who work and struggle to get hear legally while she is protected

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president