Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default Living in a Science-Fiction Franchise

If the future were to be (or at least strongly resemble) an existing science fiction property, what would you like it to be? Pick two.

The only real rule here is you have to envision yourself as a regular person of this setting. You aren't a Space Marine, Sauron supersoldier, or Jedi Knight.

There's also the issue that the tone of a setting can change pretty drastically over the course of a series. Aliens/singularity/gamma ray bursts may come around to mess everything up. I guess the best way to do this is just to pick the general themes that run through the story despite this calamity.

My picks are: Star Trek (it's utopian without being boring) and Mass Effect (an exciting world with a lot of opportunityŚthough there are Reapers and non-sequiter finales).

I was tempted to pick Niven's Known Space series, but I just don't know enough about it. I love Niven's ideas, but I find it somewhat of a chore to get through many of his stories.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM

The Digger

Uglies. Best case scenario is that you live in a post-scarcity society where you can mold your own body like play-dough to match your aesthetic and utilitarian desires. Worst case, you're a hyperattractive lobotomite living in a utopia of perpetual parties and effortless comfort.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

This is a tough nut.

First one would be my own sci-fi universe . On the parallell Earth I'm working on right now you can either be a normal citizen of the nations we have now as it's supposed to happen around this time or you could become a human civilian under an alien species, that has migrated to earth and who have gained a bit of land for themselves thanks to providing tech and services that's been beneficial to all of humanity. These aliens have the longterm goal of subjugating humanity, to push forward their technological level so that they can act as a bulwark against their alien enemies.
The aliens on earth are the remnants of a Kardash type 3/4 civilisation, far far back in time.

The second one? The Stargate Universe.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 12-12-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Hypersensitive

While not the best of Sci-Fi places to live, I love the book/movie so much that I would choose the Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep/Blade Runner scifi universe.

Close second would be cowboy bebop.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemialibritannia View Post
While not the best of Sci-Fi places to live, I love the book/movie so much that I would choose the Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep/Blade Runner scifi universe.
The book and movie presented pretty different environments. Would you prefer the book's crumbling semi-abandoned San Francisco, or the movie's clogged and sprawling Los Angeles?

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaskaleh View Post
the second one? The stargate universe.
Jaffa, kree!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Elune

The universe of Robert Reed's Marrow sounds cool to me, though the lack of FTL does tick me off a bit (though the in-universe solution, effective immortality, does make up for it a bit)

That, or the stargate universe. Living under constant threats from whatever popus up next would be worth just to see what happened to all the dropped plot threads.

Also, it's a pretty spiffy universe
Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
The second one? The Stargate Universe.
But being a normal citizen in that universe means you don't know anything and live as you always have!
I suppose you could say humanity is in a nice position in that universe, having defeated all enemies and acquired all of the technology of the Asgard. So safe and boring?

My own safe and boring guess would be Star Trek and my exciting-wanna-risk-my-life guess would be Starcraft (it is just really cool and I love the cowboy feel)... yeah I'm not much into SciFi.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

We pretty much live in a cyberpunk setting.

My favorite spec-fic society is probably that from Riders of the Purple Wage, because nobody has to work and art critics like myself are looked up to.

Then again there's all the incest that I wouldn't be super comfortable with but that's a small price to pay.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:16 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
We pretty much live in a cyberpunk setting.

My favorite spec-fic society is probably that from Riders of the Purple Wage, because nobody has to work and art critics like myself are looked up to.

Then again there's all the incest that I wouldn't be super comfortable with but that's a small price to pay.
That is one seriously depraved and twisted sci-fi universe.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Elune

Can I pick Star Trek before it got all grimdark with the films?
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies´┐Ż strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night´┐Ż live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
That is one seriously depraved and twisted sci-fi universe.
I think a world ruled by art critics, editors and writers from the New Yorker would be a wonderful utopia.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AJF#1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I think a world ruled by art critics, editors and writers from the New Yorker would be a wonderful utopia.
A world run by New York in general would be a utopia.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWunclerIII View Post
A world run by New York in general would be a utopia.
Think about it: $8000 per month studio apartments, no cars, and public transportation that smells like human urine! Utopia!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM

World Builder

Runes

I'd go with star trek, nice society geared around self improvement, not a lot of danger unless you live out on the fringes or go looking for it.

Or y'know the Borg invade or something but generally Starfleet's pretty good about handling that stuff.

Pretty good track record so far, or at least during the TNG era.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Banished

I think Star Wars is fine.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Eternal

I'd like to live in The Culture, part of Ian M. Banks's series.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Hypersensitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
The book and movie presented pretty different environments. Would you prefer the book's crumbling semi-abandoned San Francisco, or the movie's clogged and sprawling Los Angeles?
Why not both? It would make for a great contrast too, seeing a city in ruins, while another one grows.

Heck I'd take it one step further and make San Francisco Paradigm City-like, with half the city underground!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:12 AM

The Sun King

Star Trek for actually working Communism!

But this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Star Wars
...and WH40K are probably the worst universes for a non-super guy to live in. Everyone and everything, from aliens to robots, from rebels to your own government CAN and WILL kill you, even your own superior may choke you to death because you dared to NOT be successful with their stupid orders, and stuff like planets are often target practice for the latest exterminatus.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 AM

Sha of Disappointment

I'd be hasitant to say Star Trek because even the 24th century had a few rather rough times even for Earth. As a regular guy you're also rather likely to end up as enlisted crewman on a Starfleet vessel, and you know their lifes and how quickly they can end. Generally i'd say "Star Trek, early 24th century, living on Luna" is a safe bet.

Otherwise the Mass Effect doesn't seem too bad unless you're born at the tail end of a cycle.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
I'd be hasitant to say Star Trek because even the 24th century had a few rather rough times even for Earth. As a regular guy you're also rather likely to end up as enlisted crewman on a Starfleet vessel, and you know their lifes and how quickly they can end. Generally i'd say "Star Trek, early 24th century, living on Luna" is a safe bet.

Otherwise the Mass Effect doesn't seem too bad unless you're born at the tail end of a cycle.
Isn't Starfleet all volunteer? Seems like there would be plenty of other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Star Trek for actually working Communism!

But this:

...and WH40K are probably the worst universes for a non-super guy to live in. Everyone and everything, from aliens to robots, from rebels to your own government CAN and WILL kill you, even your own superior may choke you to death because you dared to NOT be successful with their stupid orders, and stuff like planets are often target practice for the latest exterminatus.
I don't think that life's necessarily that bad for the average person in Star Wars. The OP doesn't say that you'd have to be living during the reign of the Galactic Empire.

Though yeah, I can't really imagine anything worse than WH40K. Unless we're counting 1984. That was less objectively horrible than 40K, it's just that Orwell was a much better writer.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
Isn't Starfleet all volunteer? Seems like there would be plenty of other options.
Yepp, but it's a job like any other and Starfleet isn't exactly small. It's only the officer-ranks that require 4 years of academy; for a crewman all you need is 6 months base training and you're good to go seeing the universe and maybe find a place to settle down. That Earth Spacedock, for example, alone must be the biggest singular workplace close to Earth. Especially since Earth's population in the 24th century has dropped to less than half of what it is today.
Also: in a conflict like the Dominion War you'd probably see yourself in battle anyways - there is no military, so unless everyone capable takes up arms by serving in the Starfleet militia you're all speaking german within a year.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:07 AM

Banished

Quote:
Also: in a conflict like the Dominion War you'd probably see yourself in battle anyways - there is no military, so unless everyone capable takes up arms by serving in the Starfleet militia you're all speaking german within a year.
Let's be fair though, the Dominion War was the exception, not the rule, in Star Trek conflicts.

It was pretty much unprecedented to have a war so destructive, and an enemy so deadly/large, that the Federation, the Klingons, AND the Romulans had to team up just to stand a chance of victory.

Hell if it wasn't for Damar and the Cardassian Rebellion, and the events that followed leading to the Cardassian fleet turning on the rest of the Dominion, the war might well of been lost.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:10 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Well to be even fairer it wasn't exactly the cardassian rebellion that sealed the deal but the Dominion fireing on loyal Cardassians in retaliation. Without that the cardassian fleet would not have turned against the Jem'Hadar forces.
And yeah, it WAS the exception. A rather big one, though. And the Borg not getting to assimilate dat delicious Earth-booty was more luck than anything - both times, though with more time i'm confident the fleet might have taken the second cube down too. Just saying - it's not all THAT rosey as it looks like on the surface.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:19 AM

Eternal

I am fairly sure that the best world to live in would be the Star Trek one. You have a perfect world free from poverty and other problems, and there is also adventure in it. Even in the 24th century, where the Federation was in trouble, it was still a World much better then the one we live in.

Quote:
Yepp, but it's a job like any other and Starfleet isn't exactly small. It's only the officer-ranks that require 4 years of academy; for a crewman all you need is 6 months base training and you're good to go seeing the universe and maybe find a place to settle down. That Earth Spacedock, for example, alone must be the biggest singular workplace close to Earth. Especially since Earth's population in the 24th century has dropped to less than half of what it is today.
Ahem.

Earth had a population of nine billion, according to First Contact, where assimilation resulted in 9 billion borg drones. Right now on Earth, it is 7.13 billion.

Also, Starfleet is quite highly trained, with zero-g combat training(http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zero...ombat_training) and most likely martial arts as well, so they are about as efficient as any military, I guess. So it's not as if any civilian needs to take up arms.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 12-13-2013 at 04:21 AM..