Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Ranger

Default Anyone else worried about the future?

I mist firstly admit that I am a very negative person overall. But at this moment I am VERY worried about the game.

Never before has an expansion gathered THIS much hate across the board..
People everywhere are raging at MoP, and looking at the official Youtube video I think the dislikes are starting to win....

What are your thoughts?
Punctuation saves lives!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Whiners whine. No need to alert the press.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyomesh View Post
I mist firstly admit that I am a very negative person overall. But at this moment I am VERY worried about the game.

People everywhere are raging at MoP, and looking at the official Youtube video I think the dislikes are starting to win....

What are your thoughts?
People are naturally conservative and aren't ready for change, i generally dislike the panda side of it.

But in deep analysis this is designed to make gameplay and progression more varied which felt that it was too linear(not in terms of quests but more in terms of raids being you only way to progress in this game).

It's kinda like runescape where you have multiple lines of progress that are interconnect but can act separetely(various skills, minigames, combat arenas), of course in runescape there are so many angles you can progress that it becomes overwhelming
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Elune

MoP haters:THIS SUCKS,KUNG FU PANDA RIP OFF,LOL BLIZZ GAME FOR KIDZ
MoP supporters:LOL GTFO HATERS,GOOD RIDDANCE LOLOL,BYE HATERS,GIMME UR STUFF WHEN U QUIT
This happens on every forum i check.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Priestess of the Moon

i like MoP, don't care if so much people hate it. they will play it anyway. and if they don't...well not my loss.

and btw SOOOO MUCH people asked for pandas since WoW launched and now that we finally have some people are raging that they are stupid....

i understand why some of the stuff might be controversial like the pokemon thing or the new talent system but there is also other stuff: more pve content besides raiding and new interesting BG's.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Statistically, Pandaren have been the most requested addition to World of Warcraft by a large margin. There's no problem, just a loud and angry minority.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:09 AM

Chimaera

This is what is known as the internet hate machine. it happens. idc if people bitch, i have a feeling that MoP will bring some (not all) of the players cata lost. if not, that one year diablo 3 pass might coax lots to resub, for a year at least.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Most hate is for hating's sake. I understand some positions, like less instances, but overall the gameplay looks like it's going to be fantastic now.

Also, with the new talent trees, balance will be much more easier. Previous one were a mess, and one of the things I hated from the original game.

Those hating the lore are trolls or don't know about W3. We still don't know enough to see if it sucks or not.

Personally, I'm only disappointed at monk overlapping DH and Pandaria geography being too generic (continent is round). I may be angry with the lore when I get to know what's it about.

I don't like the neutral race, either. Screams "we were cheap to make 2 races", and I don't like the pacifist stance of the playable pandaren.

But the rest is fine, no matter part of it is a shameless copy of Pokémon and Warhammer Online.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Site Staff - Admin

And really, the kind of people who are showing such an emotional and vitriolic response to a computer game expansion aren't exactly the kind of people I would want to play the game with anyway.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
I mist firstly admit...
Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I don't like the neutral race, either. Screams "we were cheap to make 2 races"
Maybe they were cheap but i don't think so, they also added a new class. we only got two races or one class so far. now we have a new race and a new class (with all new animations). so its the same amount of work.

another thing: what could they have possibly added as another race? Pandas are the most requested race and i can't fathom anything that could compete with them. The whine from pandas being faction specific would be even more than it is now. Pandas now go both ways and we get a new class. for me it worked out quite well.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:43 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:

I really don't think it's quite as across the board as you might think, there are a lot of vocal dissenters, but a lot of people are really enthusiastic about it. You can't really look at the forums and make an accurate assumption about what the player base thinks; a lot of the people who go to the forums go there to complain.

Reserve judgement till it's live.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Maybe they were cheap but i don't think so, they also added a new class. we only got two races or one class so far. now we have a new race and a new class (with all new animations). so its the same amount of work.

another thing: what could they have possibly added as another race? Pandas are the most requested race and i can't fathom anything that could compete with them. The whine from pandas being faction specific would be even more than it is now. Pandas now go both ways and we get a new class. for me it worked out quite well.
I don't like it, but I don't think it's wrong. I would have preferred 2 races because that's double the lore, but meh. Also, it's a class, not a hero class, so it probably won't get any special starting zone.

Naga or mantid would have made good races, for example.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
so it probably won't get any special starting zone.
a zone atop a turtle is not special enough?

Quote:
Naga or mantid would have made good races, for example.
but both of em are not pandas and not many people asked for them. they might be good idea but if you look at what race people have been asking for for a LONG time its pandas.

btw naga and mantid work better as villians than playable races.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
a zone atop a turtle is not special enough?
He's talking about the monk class and from what i've read until now only Pandaren get the turtlezone, not monks.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 AM

World Builder

Runes

Oh Hey...

Monks are a class class, they don't start at 55 right?

Also, I'm not worried, even if Wow lost half its people, it'd still be the strongest MMO out there, wouldn't it?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Oh Hey...

Monks are a class class, they don't start at 55 right?

Also, I'm not worried, even if Wow lost half its people, it'd still be the strongest MMO out there, wouldn't it?
No. At 12 million, half would be six. There are still something like 7 million GW1 accounts active. Also, that's half of their monthly income, which would be crippling to the company as a whole. If they lost half of their subscribers instantly, WoW would be considered a colossal failure.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Know which other game got this much hate because it was judged "childish"? LoZ: Wind Waker. Which turned out to be damned good.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Banished

I'm pissed at the trailer, because Metzen hyped up the HvA and the former showed almost nothing of that.

I'm pissed because character models are not updated. Yes, I think the pandas are a joke and garbage, but that won't alone deter me from getting the expansion considering my main objective throughout 2004-2011 has always been just goofing around on my rogue, killing people and being interested in iconic Warcraft lore.

I'll still await until the end of the beta to make my judgement on the expansion's quality. But I'm definitely not getting the annual pass, pre-ordering or any of the sort.

Edit: Scratch that, let me focus in on what I want to say. Everyone knows they trademarked Mists of Pandaria a while ago, and no other trademarked games were made. I think people could see this coming, but what I personally didn't like yesterday was the massive focus on Pandarens, and not nearly any focus on the Horde vs. Alliance.

Come on.

Last edited by Gadinhad; 10-22-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRotalHenricsson View Post
Whiners whine. No need to alert the press.
This is so many words.

People find reason to whine about anything if they can't think outside there little bubbles. Its a human trait, the fear of the unknown and all that, yet people think society has advanced beyond it? not from what I read here.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Elune

And once we get closer to the release date then the haters will be reduced to a tiny minority while everyone posts how this is the greatest expansion ever.

It's just the nature of these things. Always in cycles and all that.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Statistically, Pandaren have been the most requested addition to World of Warcraft by a large margin. There's no problem, just a loud and angry minority.
When I hear this said, I read it as a pre-emptive rationalization of oncoming disappointment with "people don't know what they want and are too stupid to be worth pleasing." Pandaren have been requested forever, but there is a concept of "too much of a good thing."

I don't like MoP very much. However, I don't think there's much Blizzard could have done to reverse WoW's secular decline, except perhaps through radical game changes that no one really expected. I would've preferred a South Seas expansion, but do I think this would have had a huge impact on Blizzard's bottom line? No. Those who subscribe / unsubscribe over lore are small in number, and can be re-enticed in the future.

I haven't played WoW too much since patch 2.3. Each time an expansion comes out, I reactivate my account, play through the new leveling content, fuck around in the dungeons a while, and then quit within 2 months. I will likely do this for MoP, and I would have done this for any other expansion. For players who meet my profile - and I suspect there are many - Blizzard's best strategy isn't to choose Setting A over Setting B - it's to come out with lots of small expansions that expand the endgame and perhaps keep players engaged for a while. I'm hoping that the relatively-unambitious scope of MoP (6 new zones? Really?) at the moment portends a faster expansion cycle (as Blizzard reps have repeatedly stated they'd like to see.)

But the fundamental question that anyone should be asking here is NOT whether they would have preferred something other than MoP, but what Blizzard could have done instead of MoP that would lead to dramatically-different expected subscribership features. An expansion based around Azshara and N'Zoth really wouldn't do it, imo. Yes, it would've generated more initial hype but I don't think that translates to too much.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

The way I see it, Blizzard is trying for a change of pace.

We'll have to wait and see how it actually plays out.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
No. At 12 million, half would be six. There are still something like 7 million GW1 accounts active. Also, that's half of their monthly income, which would be crippling to the company as a whole. If they lost half of their subscribers instantly, WoW would be considered a colossal failure.
Especially if it's from the US and EU side of things.

Anyway, here are my thoughts.

I know WoW has always been a bit light with its brand of humor, and I can appreciate panda people.. The way I see it, you can do adam west batman or you can do bale batman. I'll wait and see how the panda play out.

Pokemon thing has been requested before. Its addicting enough that it will hold a hell of a lot of people. I don't exactly like it, but they can expand it to be something fun. If pets in the pet store are usable and have special abilities, then they fail.

The 6 point talent system pissed me off. We should have more customization, not less. Even though this offers some real variety, some of the things mention are way to good to pass up (AoE roots, healing for 20% of your health every time you shift into a form, kittystep). If these talents are easily changeable by say, a glyph or a item you can carry with you, I can see them working, but really they are edging on changing the core design of their came with it.

Instance runs are meh for the challenge things.

PvE scenario? Meh. Doesn't interest me in the slightest. If I can just spam through it with four DPS its not going to be interesting other than a once or twice thing, and if its done with two DPS and a healer and a tank, its not going to be challenging, unless they change it based on roles..

Monk? no auto attack is rather funny, all things considering, but I'll wait and see how that works out.

Over all, not a fan, but I'll give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt

Last edited by Ruinshin; 10-22-2011 at 10:41 AM..
Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRMNKY View Post
And once we get closer to the release date then the haters will be reduced to a tiny minority while everyone posts how this is the greatest expansion ever.

It's just the nature of these things. Always in cycles and all that.
Indeed. Jesse cox and wowcrendor summed it up in that video of theres, about how wow players whine, cry and gripe about EVERYTHING, but blizzard still produces awesome stuff and they still play it.

I often imagine in my mind, these players are like fat kids in a support chair who keeps demanding food from his mother, but no matter how much she feeds him he still wants more, never satisfied with what she does, never appreicates it and even insults her every time she does something new. THAT what these kind of players are like, cept there behind a computer screen.