Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 PM

Arch-Druid

Default Timeline?

Blizzard has an official timeline guide on WOW website.
And according to this site, WC3 is happened after 20 years of the first time dark portal open. and WoW starts its story 25 years after.

But from the novels and WC3, it's revealed that Thrall was 24 years old in WC3 event. That means he should be borned 4 years before the dark portal opened. Then there's conflictions about his age and the event of warcraft universe. Durotan was assassined in Azeroth while Thrall's still a baby. How could we assume that a 4 years old orc as a "baby"?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

lol wc timeline
Old 04-18-2009, 03:27 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

What Yuber is trying to convey is: The timeline has been f***ed up beyond repair ever since Blizzard started changing every damn year-count related to the first and second wars.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.

Last edited by Kerrah; 04-18-2009 at 03:41 AM..
Old 04-18-2009, 04:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Timeline is fucked-up.

End of discussion.

I still fail to understand why they fucked it up this completely. WC1 and WC2 timelines were perfect.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Timeline is fucked-up.

End of discussion.

I still fail to understand why they fucked it up this completely. WC1 and WC2 timelines were perfect.
lol very clearly answer.
Thanks anyway. A pity they screw it.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
WC1 and WC2 timelines were perfect.
Year 1 - Orcs kill humans.
Year 1b - Humans kill orcs.

Year 2 - Humans kill orcs.
Year 2b - Orcs kill humans.

And then Blizzard decided which events were canonical or not, a or b, in Warcraft 3.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Elune

It's not that, I'm speaking about the history, with years being 560, 562, and things like that.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

That would be now as retarded as some people refering to 1945 being the end of Sixth Age (Tolkien's ages) because a dictator was defeated like in the ends of other ages.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
That would be now as retarded as some people refering to 1945 being the end of Sixth Age (Tolkien's ages) because a dictator was defeated like in the ends of other ages.
That doesn't even make sense. It probably would be past the 100th age considering the amount of dictators throughout history. Some people are idiots.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Elune

What, why?

The manuals from WC1 and WC2 have years. Just check them.

With W3 or WoW, don't remember, they started fucking up everything.

First, 15 years of the first war became 1 year.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
That doesn't even make sense. It probably would be past the 100th age considering the amount of dictators throughout history. Some people are idiots.
You don't understand. Tolkien originally intended Arda to be a portrayal of Earth in a very distant past, but later resigned from it. But if we follow his early calculations, Sixth Age would end around the 20th century, and people began assuming Hitler's demise was the ending of that age. I know, that is retarded. As much as applying Earth's calendar to Azeroth, which was esentially the thing behind the dates in WC1 manual.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Elune

The years in the WCI manual need not have been taken from Earth’s calendar. The year 560 doesn’t correspond to Earth’s 560 anymore than the year 25 corresponds to Earth’s year 25. Since they are not judging time from the birth of christ, their system would have just been 560 after whatever event they decided to start keeping track of time by.

I suppose since the opening of the Dark Portal was the beginning of the biggest chain of events the human kingdoms would remember, they had changed the calendar to reflect that and reset it at the point to 0. Obviously they’d have needed a way to chart time before the Portal was opened, because they had no way to look into the future and see that its opening would signify year 0.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
You don't understand. Tolkien originally intended Arda to be a portrayal of Earth in a very distant past, but later resigned from it.
You're right, I didn't know that. Guess I'm the idiot now.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:37 AM

Hippogryph

"Timeline?

Time isn't made out of lines.
It is made out of circles.

That is why clocks are round!"

Sry I couldn't help my self I'm a rather big rvb fan >.>
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 AM

Sentinel Queen

It's a pity the old calendar aint featured at all no more. Well, what with years being effed up and all that, it's all kaflingles, but you can't deny that the timeline would have had a different feel if it read "583 - The start of the orcish invasion" instead of "0 - WarCraft I: Orcs and Humans".

I once pondered - oh yes, I mentioned that some time - but anyhow, pondered exploring (making up) the history of Stormwind, theorizing that the year 0 in the old calendar was, like, the founding of the city Stormwind. This calendar, then, would be the Stormwind... ian... calendar. Who knows what they reckoned time from up in Lordaeron? No doubt Dalaran's scholars could've kept up on dates from the original human empire, but more likely, in less scholarly pursuits, a Rome-style from-the-founding-of-the-City calendar.

What with me once writing an essay (some seventy pages) on ancient astronomy and time-keeping, I've always liked to picture that there's a whole science on that front, too, in WarCraft, and that the calendars are as hopelessly incongrous in Azeroth as they were back in ancient Greece.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 AM

Eternal

If the old calendar of Stormwind was based around some event in their original history, it would be the estabilishment of the House of Wrynn on the throne, since Stormwind itself seems to be much older.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 AM

Sentinel Queen

Niaaah, few royal dynasties have, historically, lasted as long as 500 years. Can't seem to wiki up any example going on that long. I'd like to think of it as a founding of the city, or an establishing of it as the Capital, or some sort. Or re-establishing. I'd like to think there's more to it than just Wrynns. This and that dates the arathi (i, what's the plural form? arathorians?) migration south to the present-day Stormwind region to have commenced, of sort, maybe some 1,000 years ago - which I see only as a good excuse to mix in a little bit of history in between. Maybe a civil war, two kingdoms, that sort of stuff.

But then again, maybe it's simply Wrynn-reckoning. Can have civil strife and all sorts of stuff but still keep to one dynasty. Meh, whatever.

Last edited by Ashenmoon; 04-19-2009 at 11:04 AM..
Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Elune

We didn't know anything about the past before they started fucking the timeline up, so it wouldn't have sense to try fitting it.

If I had to speculate, I would say year 0 was when they found the valley where they located Stormwind, or an important event like the defeat of a big enemy.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Hippogryph Rider

There's a fairly accurate and detailed unofficial timeline here:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Timeline_(unofficial)

Of course, if you're to make a timeline, you'll have to pick and choose which version of Warcraft history you will use.