Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Archer

Default Ethereum and Nexus War...?

I remember a quest where you try to prevent some sort of meeting between an agent of the Ethereum and the Blue Dragonflight.

Yet you fail to stop the agreement between the two sides.

Is there any more to this that's known? What part could Ethereum still play in WoW now that Malygos is dead.

Is the Nexus War not over yet?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

We know nothing more aside from that single quest.

A real pity. It would have been awesome to see those quests continued.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I never even saw any ethereal mobs in the Nexus. They said it was already negotiated, so I do not know why it was not touched on.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Huntress

Ethereals were probably the most interesting "new" race in TBC. Their quests were done well, especially those regarding the conflict between Consortium and Ethereum and especially a whole focus on their personalities-selfish, cunning and being unique realists.

Nexus War was ideal for their return in new expansion but that whole part of the story was in the end scrapped aside. Blame Warhammer i guess.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Probably stems from Blizzard being severely butthurt from BC's colour and alien-like characters.

Which is kinda weird. I always thought the Nexus stuff and everything regarding the blue flight was alot more "alien" than teleporting spaceships.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 PM

The Digger

Blizz really seemed hell bent on distancing themselves from any of the pseudo Sci Fi elements of BC in general. The Dreanei are a non-entity aside from that one contingent in Valiance Keep (though in all fairness, all the alliance nations besides Stormwind are kinda given a great hearty "screw you" in Wrath). The Legion is almost totally disinterested in events in Northrend, with Mal'Ganis being their only representative, and even that seems to be more personal than anything. All in all it surprises me little that the ethereals are given the cold shoulder.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Given the expansion they have on the Titans and Ulduar and given that the scourge was cretaed by aliens (Really everything on Azeroth not troll or Tauren derived is pretty much alien)
I just think they are moving away from the mood and color scheme of BC.

Given that Wrath has been a wash I hope they learned from that.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Blizz really seemed hell bent on distancing themselves from any of the pseudo Sci Fi elements of BC in general. The Dreanei are a non-entity aside from that one contingent in Valiance Keep (though in all fairness, all the alliance nations besides Stormwind are kinda given a great hearty "screw you" in Wrath). The Legion is almost totally disinterested in events in Northrend, with Mal'Ganis being their only representative, and even that seems to be more personal than anything. All in all it surprises me little that the ethereals are given the cold shoulder.
The whole Wrathgate thing - which was initiated in Northrend - ended up being a potential ploy by Varimathras and the Legion to use Undercity as a foothold on Azeroth.

Just think about it. The armies of the Alliance, Horde and Scourge ripping each other apart in Northrend, only to have the Burning Legion storm into the Eastern Kingdoms from the Undercity and lay waste to half of Azeroth while many of the planet's most powerful defenders are engaged in Northrend. He wasn't there himself, but the inevitable confrontation between the Scourge and the rest of Azeroth was a big part of Varimathras' plan to bring the Legion back to Azeroth.

The only drawback to the plan was that the Battle for Undercity ignores the lore's usual dismissal of using portals for transporting mass troop movements to a front (seriously, if that's truly a lore-supported and viable means of invasion, why'd either faction bother with ships for invading Northrend when an army of their mages could have dropped thousands of troops anywhere they wanted?)

Really, things like the Ethereum/Blue Dragonflight accord and the stuff in Crystalsong Forest make me think they had a whole lot more planned for the Blue Dragonflight, but gave up on a bunch of it just so that they could have Malygos - and therefore one more raid - in the game at the time of release instead of waiting for a patch.

The use of the word "accord" to describe their planned collaboration sounds suspiciously intentional. As if they might have originally planned for some big, elaborate Malygos-led coalition of like-minded groups battling the Wyrmrest Accord. Like an accord of his own to match that of his fellow Aspects.

Instead we ended up with the Bue Dragonflight not only being restored to unjustified numbers (there weren't that many eggs in the cave Krasus found. What were there, a million?), but being made so numerous that they can take on the Red, Bronze, Green and Black Flights all at once. Which seems kind of silly really, as threats like the Scourge in Dragonblight should have been taking a toll on Malygos' brood as much as the others during his absence/insanity (really more, since Northrend was originally Blue Dragonflight territory more than any other flight with their duty of protecting the fallen dragons' remains there). Yet somehow the Blue Dragonflight is utterly cut off from the undead plotline. No mage-hunters battling necromancers (which are among the worst sort of magic abusers, by the way, and camped on the doorstep of Malygos' territory). No doing anything about the presence of all those formerly blue frostwyrms. In that same vein, there's also no evidence that the Scourge has any interest in attacking the Azure Dragonshrine and maybe grabbing up some of those fancy "runed" Azure Dragon bodies to add to their reanimated dragon collection.

The whole Nexus War story builds nicely in Borean Tundra and Coldarra, then into the Dragonblight. After that, it quickly falls apart and an entire zone full of potential story content went ignored. Like Malygos would have originally been a content patch boss to satisfy the buildup that would have continued into Crystalsong and perhaps beyond, but then he got added early and a big chunk of lead-in material got skipped over so that the Obsidian Sanctum wouldn't be the only completely new raid out of the box.

Last edited by ARM3481; 10-19-2009 at 09:48 PM..
Old 10-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Elune

Maybe they don't know what to do with the ethereals? If you expand on them you might have to explain stuff about the Twisting Nether, who they are talking about all the time at Aeris Landing, why do they look like this when they don't have those wrappings on them, etc.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

The bigger problem they have with the Ethereals is that their major racial conflict (Dimensius) was a half-pint void-lord we can solo in Netherstorm at level 70. They have nothing left to add to the Ethereum or Protectorate beyond making them generically evil/good (respectively) factions that randomly run about the Twisting Nether.

If they make the Ethereum a bigger player, have their crusade to become pseudo-void beings form the basis for a greater transformation of themselves and our understanding of how energy (the Light, Shadow, Arcane, etc. and the Naaru themselves) work in the Warcraft universe, then there's a chance their story can continue. Otherwise, there's pretty much nothing left to them beyond being the otherworldy neutral organization to replace Goblins when we hit the Nether ourselves.

Me personally, and I abhor having to type this, but I almost wish that they'd update tBC and WotLK content to reflect what they're missing. When Cataclysm's been fleshed out in Azeroth go back and add the lost content of Azjol-Nerub and Crystal Song, bring the Ethereum (and thus the Protectorate) storyline back into the fold so we have a greater excuse to go into the Twisting Nether later on, hell update the Gronn storyline to reflect whether there are in-fact 7 of them and what that really means for the Ogres. The lost content of the expansions alone is a patch each and of themselves, filler material so that not only is our leveling experience more varied but also more exciting. That we have a reason to go back and re-experience worlds we left as "saved" and Blizzard doesn't have to worry quite as much about getting new expansions in on time. Ah, well c'est la vie.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
The bigger problem they have with the Ethereals is that their major racial conflict (Dimensius) was a half-pint void-lord we can solo in Netherstorm at level 70. They have nothing left to add to the Ethereum or Protectorate beyond making them generically evil/good (respectively) factions that randomly run about the Twisting Nether.

If they make the Ethereum a bigger player, have their crusade to become pseudo-void beings form the basis for a greater transformation of themselves and our understanding of how energy (the Light, Shadow, Arcane, etc. and the Naaru themselves) work in the Warcraft universe, then there's a chance their story can continue. Otherwise, there's pretty much nothing left to them beyond being the otherworldy neutral organization to replace Goblins when we hit the Nether ourselves.

Me personally, and I abhor having to type this, but I almost wish that they'd update tBC and WotLK content to reflect what they're missing. When Cataclysm's been fleshed out in Azeroth go back and add the lost content of Azjol-Nerub and Crystal Song, bring the Ethereum (and thus the Protectorate) storyline back into the fold so we have a greater excuse to go into the Twisting Nether later on, hell update the Gronn storyline to reflect whether there are in-fact 7 of them and what that really means for the Ogres. The lost content of the expansions alone is a patch each and of themselves, filler material so that not only is our leveling experience more varied but also more exciting. That we have a reason to go back and re-experience worlds we left as "saved" and Blizzard doesn't have to worry quite as much about getting new expansions in on time. Ah, well c'est la vie.
Yes, they should expand more on those thoughts. Naaru are "light" but can become "dark". Dimensius is a void creature. The Ethereum were making hybrids and some didn't work out and became void creatures. You have the gronn brothers yet there are also a lot of other gronn who some people have called "lesser gronn", even though the ogre lords are supposed to be the link between the gronn and the ogres.

Well one thing I read was that Blizzard went and gave the Twin Emperors new shoulder gear or something when that instance was "old" by that time, but I guess that would be simpler than updating storylines.

Last edited by Rolandius; 10-20-2009 at 03:28 AM..
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Great idea, yes; and this is why I think many of us would make a way better work as lore-planning for Blizzard than what they currently make -_-.

Seriously, not adding the Ethereals at Northrend is FAIL. Why? They're the new traders of Azeroth, because goblins will be joining Horde, and their personality is even better than anyone's to depict a merchant race.

They should have added them, just to reintroduce as them later as the replacement for the goblins.

And what about Dimensius? We could have defeated him in his "weak form". C'mon, it just sucks that we defeat the guy that conquered an entire planet that easy, by soloing him.

He could have a good rank at the Burning Legion, with a better form.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Seriously, not adding the Ethereals at Northrend is FAIL. Why? They're the new traders of Azeroth, because goblins will be joining Horde, and their personality is even better than anyone's to depict a merchant race.
Some of the goblins are joining the Horde. The Steamwheedle Cartel and Venture Co. - along with their subsidiaries - as well as pretty much any other goblin groups besides the Bilgewater Cartel are, as far as we know, remaining neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
He could have a good rank at the Burning Legion, with a better form.
While admittedly Dimensius was pretty much a case of wasted villain potential and should have been made more powerful to reflect the scope of what he's done before, it was never indicated that the Legion had anything to do with him. If anything, his presence seemed to be meant to indicate that in the great expanse between worlds that is the Twisting Nether, the Burning Legion is far from being the only force out there that poses a threat.

Of course, I guess they could always pull a Ragnaros with him and indicate that his presence in Netherstorm was only a fraction of his full strength (which would make some sense I guess, since if he and his forces were really fully released in Netherstorm you'd think they would have been swarming all over Outland and not just one small corner of it) and someday have players face a fully powered Dimensius in some future content revolving around the Ethereals.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Some of the goblins are joining the Horde. The Steamwheedle Cartel and Venture Co. - along with their subsidiaries - as well as pretty much any other goblin groups besides the Bilgewater Cartel are, as far as we know, remaining neutral.
You know I mean they are no longer neutral as a race .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
While admittedly Dimensius was pretty much a case of wasted villain potential and should have been made more powerful to reflect the scope of what he's done before, it was never indicated that the Legion had anything to do with him. If anything, his presence seemed to be meant to indicate that in the great expanse between worlds that is the Twisting Nether, the Burning Legion is far from being the only force out there that poses a threat.

Of course, I guess they could always pull a Ragnaros with him and indicate that his presence in Netherstorm was only a fraction of his full strength (which would make some sense I guess, since if he and his forces were really fully released in Netherstorm you'd think they would have been swarming all over Outland and not just one small corner of it) and someday have players face a fully powered Dimensius in some future content revolving around the Ethereals.
I said "could". Dimensius could be an independent demon, or could be working for the Legion. Anyway, I don't care who's side he's on, just that he makes a reappearance.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The idea of adding Ethereals to Crystalsong is actually a really, really good idea. I'm actually rather pissed that entire zone is so underutilized.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Hippogryph Rider

I'm up for anything that involves more Ethereals.

If I could play one I'd reroll so fast the transaction wouldn't even have time to post to my account before I'd be spiking people with motion blur energy trails.

I really liked the Protectorate storylines, esp. Ameer.