Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Eternal

Runes The Elder Scrolls - Games and Such

First off it's nice to heat that Skyrim will be out in "11-11-11" (Urrg, I hate it when they do that), though what's everyones opinons about the Elder Scrolls series to begin with?

Especially with the last two games that became very popular; Morrowind and Oblivion. (Though in all honestly Oblivion seemed to copy its expansions from Morrowind)

What was your experience with the vast ashland of Vvardenfell, who'd ya join, etc?

Same can be said for Oblivion, but factions have little instances within this.
Also: What do you hope Bethseda will make with Skyrim that they haven't already said (dual-wielding, children, etc) but do you think they should have some references to games like Morrowind and Oblivion to fill some lore? Create new factions, or even add a complexity to them.

And because I'm just very excited here are the lyrics of the 'endsong' at the end of the trailer if anyone didn't venture into Youtube or see Bethseda correct all the people.

"Dovahkiin Dovahkiin
Naal ok zin los vahriin
wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal
ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin fah hin kogaan mu draal"

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan

Last edited by Shaman; 11-12-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas View Post
First off it's nice to heat that Skyrim will be out in "11-11-11" (Urrg, I hate it when they do that), though what's everyones opinons about the Elder Scrolls series to begin with?

Especially with the last two games that became very popular; Morrowind and Oblivion. (Though in all honestly Oblivion seemed to copy its expansions from Morrowind)

What was your experience with the vast ashland of Vvardenfell, who'd ya join, etc?

Same can be said for Oblivion, but factions have little instances within this.
Also: What do you hope Bethseda will make with Skyrim that they haven't already said (dual-wielding, children, etc) but do you think they should have some references to games like Morrowind and Oblivion to fill some lore? Create new factions, or even add a complexity to them.

And because I'm just very excited here are the lyrics of the 'endsong' at the end of the trailer if anyone didn't venture into Youtube or see Bethseda correct all the people.

"Dovahkiin Dovahkiin
Naal ok zin los vahriin
wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal
ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin fah hin kogaan mu draal"
I though it said for the king sometimes that song

In retrospect we should probably ask for a admin to set a forum about other non blizzard series... maybe?

EDIT: The plot is also about a world destroying dragon, except this one is a devourer of time

Last edited by Ashendant; 02-16-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I've never played any games in the series and have heard conflicting opinions that the games are great and that they are terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I've never played any games in the series and have heard conflicting opinions that the games are great and that they are terrible.
Same here, I'm a pretty big RPGlover, yet I'm a bit embarrased to say I haven't picked up any of them. I got friends who call it(Oblivion) the best RPG ever and some who complain that it was terribly buggy and overall frustrating game. Somehow it just doesn't appeal to me in the way many other RPGs do. I think it's partially because its mainly done in a first person perspective, whilst being mostly melee and partially the overall feel about it that just doesn't feel right. I do hope the new one can change that though.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
They are awesome, and for pc even better, there's a reason why the fallout new vegas got extra points in most reviews, the ability to mod the game is very good, and the mod community in bethesda games is strong, so if there's a particular part of the game you don't like, you can bet your ass that there somebody who modded it out for you, or at least tried
Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
Same here, I'm a pretty big RPGlover, yet I'm a bit embarrased to say I haven't picked up any of them. I got friends who call it(Oblivion) the best RPG ever and some who complain that it was terribly buggy and overall frustrating game. Somehow it just doesn't appeal to me in the way many other RPGs do. I think it's partially because its mainly done in a first person perspective, whilst being mostly melee and partially the overall feel about it that just doesn't feel right. I do hope the new one can change that though.
Cat person vampire assassin that can oneshot you from halfway across the continent with a single sniper bowshot.

No I'm not making that up. At all.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
You can do it in more cameras is just more convenient in the first person view(and far more personal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
Cat person vampire assassin that can oneshot you from halfway across the continent with a single sniper bowshot.

No I'm not making that up. At all.
I prefer my argonian god of madness tyvm

Last edited by Ashendant; 02-16-2011 at 04:14 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Eternal

I played Oblivion with the wrong expectations I guess.

I entered it like, wishing to be blown away by character depth and an intricate plot.

Well if that is in the game I never saw it because well, it was so open and the combat was weird and the dialoge option made me wanna cry and the PC seemed just... off somehow.

But some other people have loved its complete open world
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post

I entered it like, wishing to be blown away by character depth and an intricate plot.

Well if that is in the game I never saw it because well, it was so open and the combat was weird and the dialoge option made me wanna cry and the PC seemed just... off somehow.

The main plot is not the most interesting, kinda hard to chew but not most intricate but the background is so fucking delicious

also
Sheogorath is awesomehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3MlM...eature=related
Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post

Get morrowind. It's MUCH better than Oblivion, in terms of actual story and plot.

I mean really the factions(House Redoran, Hlaalu and Telvanni) were really an intericate part of the story, the plot, etc.

That and who doesn't love the Morag Tong?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Get morrowind. It's MUCH better than Oblivion, in terms of actual story and plot.

I mean really the factions(House Redoran, Hlaalu and Telvanni) were really an intericate part of the story, the plot, etc.

That and who doesn't love the Morag Tong?
Honestly i spent my whole time plundering the desert city in the game, than actually play it

Altrough i prefer oblivion, but i love the shivering isles more

Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Honestly i spent my whole time plundering the desert city in the game, than actually play it

Altrough i prefer oblivion, but i love the shivering isles more

It's somewhat a copy out of from Morrowind's 3rd Expansion, where you become a servant of Hircine. And Face him.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
It's somewhat a copy out of from Morrowind's 3rd Expansion, where you become a servant of Hircine. And Face him.
It was just a test so he could have a worthy foe.

Funny we won't see much of morrowind again, the Ministry of truth crashed(that giant floating meteor), and the argonians conquered the dark elves, talk about delicious delicious Irony
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I thought that was a test...

EDIT: Yes it's a test nothing like the Shievering Isles
Orly? Which is why you met a daedric lord, did everything he did, basically became 'tainted' by that world and became apart of his plans?

Yeah...nothing like it except the whole plot and quests. The only difference is that the Shivering Isles tries to 're-introduce' the 'factions are important' aspect. But it doesn't do it successfully.

Unless the House of Mania and Dementia had some purpose?

EDIT;

We won't see much of Vivec man, or Vvardenfell. We might see Solestiem or even an Argonian-run Morrowind. Example; what happen to House Redoran? The Tribunal Temple? etc

Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Elune

There official trailer of Skyrim has been released and it looks awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPF9...eature=related

EDIT: also the music with lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1jb...eature=related
Quote:
For the king! For the king!

For the sake of Skyrim!

For our land, for our homes!

For the Hrothgar's Blood!

For the Nords, for the Gods

For the sole single son!

Dovahkiin, our king

Who will dawn in

FIRE!

Last edited by Ashendant; 03-12-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Eternal

Actually you have the incorrect lyrics, which is actually sung in Draconic language which has been known since the first trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkELb...eature=related

Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Actually you have the incorrect lyrics, which is actually sung in Draconic language which has been known since the first trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkELb...eature=related
It really says that in english maybe it's supposed to sound like it's sung in english and read a different thing

EDIT: 2 songs in one?

Last edited by Ashendant; 03-12-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

It is draconic and not supposed to sound like english.
When you know what is sung you probably stop hearing english words. It's perfectly normal to misinterpreted words in unknown languages as words you know. Dovahkiin for example really sounds like "For the King" if you do not know what is sung.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
It is draconic and not supposed to sound like english.
When you know what is sung you probably stop hearing english words. It's perfectly normal to misinterpreted words in unknown languages as words you know. Dovahkiin for example really sounds like "For the King" if you do not know what is sung.
I'm pretty sure the whole song is in english, i mean if i could only hear some parts in english, fine it would be in Bethesda made up language, but it's clearly says
...For the sake of skyrim, for our land for our home, for the High Hrothgar blood,... for the sole single son...

The fact that you can hear the name of a ingame location in the song in english even make it more believable that the song has double lyrics

edit: no it's not skyrim the ingame location that i mentioned in the song

Last edited by Ashendant; 03-12-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 AM

Lord of Time

Look at the comments on the video, Ashendant isn't the only person hearing the english lyrics..
Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
The fact that you can hear the name of a ingame location in the song in english even make it more believable that the song has double lyrics
Actually, no. The Draconic lyrics are 'offical', it is a poem about the legend of "Dovahkiin". You can check on the Elder Scrolls wiki to clarify, but what you've mentioned is basically our first guess.

We were wrong, and will continue to be wrong if we think it is in english.

That and the king is dead before the Dovahkiin even realizes he is the Dovahkiin.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Actually, no. The Draconic lyrics are 'offical', it is a poem about the legend of "Dovahkiin". You can check on the Elder Scrolls wiki to clarify, but what you've mentioned is basically our first guess.

We were wrong, and will continue to be wrong if we think it is in english.

That and the king is dead before the Dovahkiin even realizes he is the Dovahkiin.
I'm sorry but not, at most it's in both english and draconic, i can hear almost the entirety of the song in English if i'm not listening, there are only 2 lines that i don't understand if i don't focus
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
ok... that scream always sends shivers down my spine
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Quote:
I'm sorry but not, at most it's in both english and draconic, i can hear almost the entirety of the song in English if i'm not listening, there are only 2 lines that i don't understand if i don't focus
You are wrong, stop imagining stuff...

Tags
a lordaeron in cyrodil, best game ever, elder scrolls, elsweyr is lordaeron, n'wahs everywhere, video games