Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecay View Post
From Ask CDs 3:

There is also the possibility that some black dragons on Azeroth have managed to evade Wrathion’s detection as well.
I remember that answer, but related it to Sabellian and Draenor, forgetting the bit about a possibility in Azeroth. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM

Keeper of the Grove

When does the story of Sunwell trilogy, mostly Ghostlands, takes place? Is it shortly after the Frozen Throne or during WoW or shortly before?

And why exactly was Sylvanas in Ghostlands?

Last edited by Mordecay; 01-23-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
When does the story of Sunwell trilogy, mostly Ghostlands, takes place? Is it shortly after the Frozen Throne or during WoW or shortly before?
Year 23, according to the lattest official Timeline.

Quote:
Don't have the book right now.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Revenge against Dar'Khan was the only motive suggested IIRC.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Was the Zandalari Empire ever called that before Patch 5.1?

Was the Mogu Empire ever called that at all?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Was the Zandalari Empire ever called that before Patch 5.1?
No that I remember. The current lore seems to suggest that at some point in the past the tribe become an empire and then they fall, being just a tribe until Cataclysm, when they began their campaign to rebuilt it (but with the goal of unifying the diverse troll tribes).

Quote:
Was the Mogu Empire ever called that at all?
Yes:

The mogu found the Pools of Youth!

Mama Bramblestaff used to tell me old stories about those. During the mogu empire they would use the waters to extend life.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Elune

Jumping back to the Sunwell Trilogy topic, Dar'khan said that Sylvanas and he were on the same side. I think it takes place before she formed the Forsaken.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Jumping back to the Sunwell Trilogy topic, Dar'khan said that Sylvanas and he were on the same side. I think it takes place before she formed the Forsaken.
He said "We were on the same side".

In other words, he said they had been on the same side.

Sunwell Trilogy takes place in year 23 and Sylvannas was totally free-willed. She opposed Dar'khan (who was working for the Lich King).

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Really? But she already had her body back, right?

But then, wowpedia says: Sylvanas, the Banshee Queen, and leader of the Forsaken traveled to Quel'Thalas for her own reasons, but soon encountered the traitor Dar'Khan, confronting him in the ruins of Silvermoon.

So it does not meet your statement. I asked why she had gone to Quel'Thalas because I wanted to know what "her own reasons" were.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
He said "We were on the same side".

In other words, he said they had been on the same side.

Sunwell Trilogy takes place in year 23 and Sylvannas was totally free-willed. She opposed Dar'khan (who was working for the Lich King).
I'd give you the page number but well, the pages aren't numbered. It's when Sylvanas first appears to Dar'khan after she kills a gargoyle:

"But why should you still feel such enmity, dear Sylvanas? After all, we are both on the same side now..."

Yes, she opposed him. No, he did not say "were". Dar'khan said hey are on the same side. Either he was not aware she split off into the Forsaken, or she had not yet rebelled.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
I'd give you the page number but well, the pages aren't numbered. It's when Sylvanas first appears to Dar'khan after she kills a gargoyle:

"But why should you still feel such enmity, dear Sylvanas? After all, we are both on the same side now..."

Yes, she opposed him. No, he did not say "were". Dar'khan said hey are on the same side. Either he was not aware she split off into the Forsaken, or she had not yet rebelled.
Yep, he says we are. He might just mean that both of them are undead elves, though.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Yep, he says we are. He might just mean that both of them are undead elves, though.
Also possible.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DrunkenPanda#1589

Quote:
That would be a little strange, as I'd imagine he should have had that information since he was linked, like all the Scourge, to the Lich King. I suppose it isn't impossible, but it would be very sloppy storytelling. Then again, the Sunwell trilogy wasn't known for its stellar writing...
Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
That would be a little strange, as I'd imagine he should have had that information since he was linked, like all the Scourge, to the Lich King. I suppose it isn't impossible, but it would be very sloppy storytelling. Then again, the Sunwell trilogy wasn't known for its stellar writing...
I agree, which is why I think it's before the Forsaken split off from the Scourge.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Revenant - Moderator

It might be a Knaak error. He didn't seem to understand necromancy in that work, which is why he wrote in the orb.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Elune

I'd rather not pass of something in a book as "writer error, noncanon" unless Blizzard says so themselves. If we start doing that with parts of Sunwell Trilogy, it's not a far jump to start declaring parts of other books from better writers noncanon as well.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'd rather not pass of something in a book as "writer error, noncanon" unless Blizzard says so themselves. If we start doing that with parts of Sunwell Trilogy, it's not a far jump to start declaring parts of other books from better writers noncanon as well.
Okey, I apologize. You were right about the quote.

However, a Blizzard source, the Official Timeline, contradicts your reasoning, since the Sunwell Trilogy takes place in year 23. The Forsaken rebellion ocurred in year 21. There's no way Sylvannas was an slave (and she doesn't show to be one) in year 23.

I agree with the interpretation that "they were in the same team: TEAM UNDEAD!". While silly, its the only way the quote is "true".

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (which admittedly came after) has it so at no point did she have her body back under the Lich King.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (which admittedly came after) has it so at no point did she have her body back under the Lich King.
Also that.

Again, there are two possibilities:

a) Knaak doesn't know the lore of the setting.

b) The quote could have been phrased better and referred to both being undead.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
I agree with the interpretation that "they were in the same team: TEAM UNDEAD!". While silly, its the only way the quote is "true".
This is a totally legitimate way to look at it. The other one is that Dar'khan wasn't aware of the Forsaken.
Option three, that she hadn't rebelled yet, simply doesn't work with what we know about Sylvanas getting her body back in RotLK. Thanks for pointing that out Revenant.

The conversation of Sylvanas in Ghostlands came up, and I remembered Dar'khan saying that to her. No harm done?

Quote:
a) Knaak doesn't know the lore of the setting.
I still think it's a really foolish notion to dismiss things that don't match up as noncanon simply because the author isn't the greatest. Unless Blizzard says otherwise that is.

With that said, goodbye.

Last edited by Reignac; 01-26-2013 at 09:57 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
This is a totally legitimate way to look at it. The other one is that Dar'khan wasn't aware of the Forsaken.
Option three, that she hadn't rebelled yet, simply doesn't work with what we know about Sylvanas getting her body back in RotLK. Thanks for pointing that out Revenant.

The conversation of Sylvanas in Ghostlands came up, and I remembered Dar'khan saying that to her. No harm done?
No harm at all. Sorry if I sounded/expressed myself in a rough way. It wasn't my intention.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM

World Builder

Runes

Hey, do we know any specifics on what makes a goblin trade prince?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Hey, do we know any specifics on what makes a goblin trade prince?
Control over a cartel?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Control over a cartel?
Well yeah but I've got this guy on MMO champ 'fact checking' me and saying that it's definitely 'whoever's richest' and that strikes me as BS.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Well yeah but I've got this guy on MMO champ 'fact checking' me and saying that it's definitely 'whoever's richest' and that strikes me as BS.
The situation where a Trade Prince controls a Cartel was invented for the goblin starting zones in Cataclysm, and never really expanded on. I assume that the case it just that, based on how Gallywix took the title from Maldy. However, the other trade princes don't have known cartels, though Trade Prince Steamwheedle's seems obvious (never explicitly confirmed though). The title meaning a Cartel leader was not in the RPG books, despite the massive write up that goblins got in the last book released. There it was like a hybrid Trade Coalition CEO/Board of Directors member that schemed his/her way to the top, beyond the Cartels (which were oddly never explained in the RPG either).

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 01-29-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants