Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
New Vegas is by far my favorite. I wish they'd done more with the DLC, though.
The DLC was disappointing overall, agreed.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 AM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
The DLC was disappointing overall, agreed.
Joshua Graham was awesome, though.

If there's any religious group that'd survive the apocalypse, it'd be the Mormons.

Last edited by Dithon1; 06-23-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Joshua Graham was awesome, though.
Keith Szarabajka makes everything awesome, in fairness.

But yes I enjoyed Graham, though I think it's a shame we didn't get to see him come back to fuck Caesar up. I loved the whole "the Burned man lives..." spookiness going on, like the Legion were terrified of ghosts.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Tire Iron is OP in NV, you can run around from Primm to New Vegas just whacking things to death, it was my first ever melee character and it was just EZ mode.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AJF#1946

I can't fathom how anybody could be a legion fan.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 AM

Eternal

I spent a fair while trying to find this, mostly because I forgot the dev's name.

But here's Sawyer on Graham: http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/396730136591888664

Fallout 3 is a bit of a sore spot for me, it doesn't really fit into the Fallout Universe considering Fallout 2 established that people are rebuilding themselves and it's no longer this barren wasteland which the nukes have only just fell on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWunclerIII View Post
Some people just want to set the world on fire.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 AM

Banished

Quote:
Let's face it, the world that Fallout is set in is a pretty shitty place to live. The Legion are a horrible society but there is something to admire (in a way) about a society that only wants those willing to fight to survive and stay strong.

Don't get me wrong; I abhor the idea of the Legion on a personal level; slavery, scientific ignorance, women reduced to chattel? Nah, fuck off. But I can atleast see some positives, albeit not nearly worth the negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Fallout 3 is a bit of a sore spot for me, it doesn't really fit into the Fallout Universe considering Fallout 2 established that people are rebuilding themselves and it's no longer this barren wasteland which the nukes have only just fell on.
To be fair, 3 was set on the East Coast, while the previous games (and then NV) were West Coast. I'm sure you know that but it's worth remembering; the situations wouldn't be the same. And it's not like the entire West Coast was rebuilding to any kind of meaningful degree (as we would see it from our places in the modern world); it was baby steps at best.

Last edited by Hammerbrew; 06-23-2014 at 07:20 AM..
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
I imagine the appeal is that the sort of society they create is arguably preferable to what used to be east of the Colorado river, even if their methods possibly beat the Enclave at general awfulness. An extreme ends justify the means mindset.

I really wish they managed to include some Legion towns on the eastern part of the map, but sadly they got deadline'd.

This is how Sawyer describes it:

Quote:
While Caesar intentionally enslaves NCR and Mojave residents in the war zone, most of the enslavement that happens in the east happens to tribals. As Raul indicates, there are non-tribal communities that came under Legion control a long time ago. The additional locations would have shown what life is like for those people.

The general tone would have been what you would expect from life under a stable military dictatorship facing no internal resistance: the majority of people enjoy safe and productive lives (more than they had prior to the Legion's arrival) but have no freedoms, rights, or say in what happens in their communities. Water and power flow consistently, food is adequate, travel is safe, and occasionally someone steps afoul of a legionary and gets his or her head cut off. If the Legion tells someone to do something, they only ask once -- even if that means an entire community has to pick up and move fifty miles away. Corruption within the Legion is rare and Caesar deals with it harshly (even by Legion standards).

In short, residents of Legion territories aren't really citizens and they aren't slaves, but they're also not free. People who keep their mouths shut, go about their business, and nod at the rare requests the Legion makes of them -- they can live very well. Many of them don't care at all that they don't have a say in what happens around them (mostly because they felt they never had a say in it before the Legion came, anyway).
Goodsprings, as an example, gets left alone by the Legion if it takes over the Mojave. It doesn't force the old out of their homes due to overtaxing like the NCR, it doesn't send a heavily armed robot to spy on them like House, it just lets it be.

The Legion under Lanius though would be absolutely fucking scary.
The gnome, for example, could be impressed by the technology of a conqueror, the goblin by his riches, the elf by his respect for the arcane, the draenei by his moral integrity, the tauren by his calm authoritative bearing. But the orc, who is impressed by none of these things, must always be struck to the dust, and struck down again as he rises, and struck again as he lies groaning. ‘While his wounds still pain him he will respect the hand that dealt them’.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM

Eternal

Quote:
To be fair, 3 was set on the East Coast, while the previous games (and then NV) were West Coast. I'm sure you know that but it's worth remembering; the situations wouldn't be the same. And it's not like the entire West Coast was rebuilding to any kind of meaningful degree (as we would see it from our places in the modern world); it was baby steps at best.
Yeah, there are numerous little tidbits on the Enclave, the G.E.C.K and FEV which doesn't stick to 1+2's canon but eeeeh-- i'm a giant pedant with this series. I love it.

That and the Mothership DLC, nop. That just comes down to my own preference of humanity destroying itself and no clear picture of who pushed the button first rather than ALIUNZ.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Yeah, there are numerous little tidbits on the Enclave, the G.E.C.K and FEV which doesn't stick to 1+2's canon but eeeeh-- i'm a giant pedant with this series. I love it.
Right there with ya.

Quote:
That and the Mothership DLC, nop. That just comes down to my own preference of humanity destroying itself and no clear picture of who pushed the button first rather than ALIUNZ.
Mothership was terribad both Fluff and Gameplay wise, I prefer to pretend it didn't happen (and, I assume and hope, it won't be Canon in the future)
Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Mothership was terribad both Fluff and Gameplay wise, I prefer to pretend it didn't happen (and, I assume and hope, it won't be Canon in the future)
Like Deus Ex 2: Invisible War, it never happened.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Can any of you gents point me in the direction of the leaked Witcher 3 design documents?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Elune

finished transistor. eh.

tomorrow I start a wolf among us series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
The main reason why i prefer FO3 over FO:NV is that NV just doesn't feel Endtimes-ish enough. I mean, the whole game takes place in a region where no bombs fell at all. There's civilisation in the process of rebuilding, farming crops is not much of a problem and even the goddamn Hoover damn provides quite a bit of electricity.
Considering the setting, NV is the garden spot of the Fallout Verse which kinda takes away some of the grittiness and atmosphere.
They tried to make up for that with Lonesome Road but the DLC was way too linear.
FO3's Capitol Wasteland was much better, especially when you're scavenging around in the ruins of Washington DC. That place got hit hard by the nukes and it shows.
Fallout 3 would make sense if it was set right after the bombs fell. Problem is, it's not. It's set two hundred years afterward, and they're doing worse than the Boneyard from Fallout 1. Los Angeles was bombed to absolute shit, with all of literally all of Orange County becoming a giant crater and much of the coastal reaches of LA flooding. Yet within 80 years, the people there were working on finding ways to grow food and trading ammunition for supplies, even though the ruins of LA contain both Deathclaw nests and the headquarters of the Super Mutant army. Meanwhile everyone in the Capital Wasteland is still eating canned meat and potato chips? It doesn't make it seem like they got hit harder, or that they have it worse than LA, it just makes me go "so you have no food supplies, no reliable access to water purification equipment, and you still haven't even bothered to get rid of the 200-year-old sheets of paper all over your floor. How have you lived this long?"
Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
Fallout 3 would make sense if it was set right after the bombs fell. Problem is, it's not. It's set two hundred years afterward, and they're doing worse than the Boneyard from Fallout 1. Los Angeles was bombed to absolute shit, with all of literally all of Orange County becoming a giant crater and much of the coastal reaches of LA flooding. Yet within 80 years, the people there were working on finding ways to grow food and trading ammunition for supplies, even though the ruins of LA contain both Deathclaw nests and the headquarters of the Super Mutant army. Meanwhile everyone in the Capital Wasteland is still eating canned meat and potato chips? It doesn't make it seem like they got hit harder, or that they have it worse than LA, it just makes me go "so you have no food supplies, no reliable access to water purification equipment, and you still haven't even bothered to get rid of the 200-year-old sheets of paper all over your floor. How have you lived this long?"
To add onto this a lot of the "grittiness" in the fallout universe actually comes from the residents and their actions, ranging from pushing chems to forcing prostitution. While the world is bleak and shitty, some of the wastelanders are just as, if not worse.

On a side note, any other sup com fans here?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Planet Explorer looks like a more High-Def Sci-fi version of Minecraft.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

So this is probably old, but I just stumbled on it yesterday:

The second one isn't as good, but the first and third are kind of hilarious. Also probably the most swedish Zelda I have ever seen
Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Old 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

FF14 is pretty quick on its patches.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
FF14 is pretty quick on its patches.

Should I give it another try Lev?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Should I give it another try Lev?
Well depending on the last time you played it the game may be completely different to you now with how much has been added so it may be worth it. That 2.3 comes out in 2 weeks adding another boatload of content. Chocobo raising seems like it'll be fun. Player housing will be shortly after release as well.

Last edited by Leviathon; 06-24-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Well depending on the last time you played it the game may be completely different to you now with how much has been added so it may be worth it. That 2.3 comes out in 2 weeks adding another boatload of content. Chocobo raising seems like it'll be fun.
I played a long while back, just for a little bit after its second release.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
I played a long while back, just for a little bit after its second release.
Yea they changed quite a bit since then.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Yea they changed quite a bit since then.
Do you know when they are adding the new classes? I trust you first before I start the googling.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Hypersensitive

Quote:
Do you know when they are adding the new classes? I trust you first before I start the googling.
In 2.4 they said thief/ninja, so about 4-6 months.

No new classes after that until expansion though.

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo