Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 AM

Eternal

Man I did not see that one coming

;(
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Elune

So much potential wasted. RIP
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Eternal

This music was awesome, and yet it slightly depresses me these days. Mainly because CoD 1 was my first game, along with Half Life, and also because in those days, the series was great. And also because Giacchino is an excellent composer.

CoD 4 was the last good game of the lot, as I believe I said before, and also, possibly the best fps game I have ever played. MW 2 ruined it all.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
WAR shuts down today.
It was a terrible and shitty game filled with broken promises and wasted potential. But fuck did I have fun back then.

I miss the sieges.
Being yelled at by bitchy Dark Elf dominatrices to heal them while they annihilated front and back lines. Watching filthy, roaring Black Orcs and mute, gleaming Chosen forming a wall of impassable steel. Supporting my warp-blessed brothers with eldritch rituals while they hurled iridescent flames or cleaved the bodies of the enemy with their blessed, twisted limbs.
Ah and Goblins being Goblins and dying everywhere.

For the glory of the Raven God!

The worse part is that they did this to themselves, by breaking promises and rushing the game. Idiots.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The worse part is that they did this to themselves, by breaking promises and rushing the game. Idiots.
This can apply to the vast majority of MMOs post WoW. It's out of sheer greed too, that's what makes it hard to swallow.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
This can apply to the vast majority of MMOs post WoW. It's out of sheer greed too, that's what makes it hard to swallow.
Warhammer is a great franchise, so it's no doubt the one that hurt the most. Age of Conan and SW:TOR didn't have so much potential.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Warhammer is a great franchise, so it's no doubt the one that hurt the most. Conan and SWTOR didn't have so much potential.
Opinions vary Lon, each have their own just keep that in mind
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Banished

Quote:
Warhammer is a great franchise, so it's no doubt the one that hurt the most. Age of Conan and SW:TOR didn't have so much potential.
TOR had excellent potential and you're kidding yourself if you think it didn't.

Star Wars has always been able (and still is despite the constant bullshit from Lucas) to just slap "Star Wars" on something and it can make a fortune. Star Wars AND The Old Republic? Well, only complete fucking idiots can mess that up.

Oh wait, it was EAware. \o/
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

The world is just one huge lost opportinuty. Everything in it the same. That way you're never disappointed anymore when stuff fails becasue you expected it. That's what Mythic taught me.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Has anyone played that new Zelda game yet for the 3DS?
I have it. Just beat my 6th dungeon. It's awesome. If you like Zelda and have a 3DS, you're an idiot if you don't get it. I only have 3 games on 3DS. Mario Kart 7, New SMB2 and now Link Between Worlds.

Quote:
Finally finished up AC4 after doing all the side stuff. Was a much better game than AC3 was.

And this song with the ending was perfect.
It was a great game. Perhaps the best in the series so far, although people have rose-tinted glasses for the Ezio trilogy. Black Flag also continued Ubisoft's tradition of woefully undertested games. Annoying bugs and frustrating gameplay elements that wouldn't exist if Ubisoft fucking playtested their games. Anyway, the storytelling was the strong suit in this game, and the naval combat. If the idea of commanding a pirate ship around the Caribbean, capturing merchant vessels and slaying landlubbers holds any interest for you at all, get this game. The cast of characters was great, all the famous pirates from the Golden Age in the early 1700s and no Johnny Depp! Blackbeard is the best!
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 12-18-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Elune

I might play AC4 if it doesn't have any ancient aliens, and world savior Desmond bullshit in it.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I might play AC4 if it doesn't have any ancient aliens, and world savior Desmond bullshit in it.
Well, Desmond is dead if you remember from playing AC3, but they still talk about him. The First Civilization stuff is still in there, but is not a huge focus. What did you expect?
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
What did you expect?
Just interacting with the historic figures without involving magic apples or Desmond.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
TOR had excellent potential and you're kidding yourself if you think it didn't.

Star Wars has always been able (and still is despite the constant bullshit from Lucas) to just slap "Star Wars" on something and it can make a fortune. Star Wars AND The Old Republic? Well, only complete fucking idiots can mess that up.

Oh wait, it was EAware. \o/
Warhammer had EVERYTHING done. You only needed to make the miniatures into 3d models, slap some gameplay and voil. Add some music, too. The lore is pretty good and it's all there, they didn't even need to make new one, there's entire campaigns which are awesome and leave space for alliances with some minor touches.

Personally, I would have preferred SW:TOR was just based between episodes 2 and 3. I don't like most the expanded universe too much, and in the end they just rehash the popular stuff from the movies, so just go with the original material instead of making some weird parallel ancient history where the spaceships are shameless copies from the classic popular ones. Leave the expanded universe for small games so it doesn't get raped by fanservice so much.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Warhammer had EVERYTHING done. You only needed to make the miniatures into 3d models, slap some gameplay and voil. Add some music, too. The lore is pretty good and it's all there, they didn't even need to make new one, there's entire campaigns which are awesome and leave space for alliances with some minor touches.

Personally, I would have preferred SW:TOR was just based between episodes 2 and 3. I don't like most the expanded universe too much, and in the end they just rehash the popular stuff from the movies, so just go with the original material instead of making some weird parallel ancient history where the spaceships are shameless copies from the classic popular ones. Leave the expanded universe for small games so it doesn't get raped by fanservice so much.
The reason the Old Republic games were set 4,000 years before the movies is that the further you get from the movies, the more freedom you have. You can't tell your own stories between Ep. 2 and 3 because Lucasfilm has that staked out by their cartoon show and its ancilliary properties, and SWTOR would have needed to support that property to get past them, which would have necessitated a "kiddy" MMO like Super Hero Squad or what have you. Definitely not the style of game BioWare wanted to make. Plus it had been established since... like the mid-90s, I think, that technology in Star Wars doesn't advance much anymore and so you're free to play around in pretty much any era and have the same types of gear.

As for Warhammer Online, that game was buried the second they made it a PvP-centric MMO with the budget of a mainstream game. You can MAKE a PvP-based MMO, but you need to budget it like a niche title.

Last edited by Fordragon; 12-18-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
The reason the Old Republic games were set 4,000 years before the movies is that the further you get from the movies, the more freedom you have. You can't tell your own stories between Ep. 2 and 3 because Lucasfilm has that staked out by their cartoon show and its ancilliary properties, and SWTOR would have needed to support that property to get past them, which would have necessitated a "kiddy" MMO like Super Hero Squad or what have you. Definitely not the style of game BioWare wanted to make.

As for Warhammer Online, that game was buried the second they made it a PvP-centric MMO with the budget of a mainstream game. You can MAKE a PvP-based MMO, but you need to budget it like a niche title.
Spot on, both points.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 PM

World Builder

Runes

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Mario kart and smash bros same universe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Am I the only one that wishes that Walking Dead Survival Instinct was instead turned over to Telltale so they could have made it into a story-driven prequel title with Daryl Dixon as the main character? Or would that have even worked out well since Daryl isn't exactly a character in the comics?
Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Am I the only one that wishes that Walking Dead Survival Instinct was instead turned over to Telltale so they could have made it into a story-driven prequel title with Daryl Dixon as the main character? Or would that have even worked out well since Daryl isn't exactly a character in the comics?
I think Telltale would have needed to secure a whole new licensing agreement for that. They have comic rights but not the rights to the show or the actors' likenesses, which is why Glenn and Hershel's appearances were both modelled exclusively on the comic, and they had different voice actors.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Telltale's Walking Dead uses almost exclusively original characters with only a small handfull of cameos, so that would not have been an issue at all.

Frankly i wish EVERYTHING would just be turned over to Telltale. I hear so far (if you are okay with the rather short gametime and bugs) the only real dudd was the Jurassic Park game and considering it's so damn cheap i am tempted to judge this on my own some day.

Imagine a Telltale Star Trek: The Next Generation game... do want.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Elune

As a strange piece of trivia about cameo characters, Lily was also supposed to be the Lily from the Governor's Army in the comics, but that got kiboshed due to Kirkman deciding to write more about the character in stand-alone material.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

This might come off as heresy but atm I think I'm more excited about the next episode of The Wolf Among Us than The Walking Dead Season 2, but that's probably due to my werewolf bias and also because I'm a tad burned out on zombie stuff. I still like both though.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM

Elune

I'd feel that way about most zombie material, but I know Telltale fucking brings it with TWD. Also it's not really generic video game zombie fare like L4D2 perfected and every other game tries to ape, so that helps it.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Eternal

Sam and Max is a lot better than the walking arguments.

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo