Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Slowpokeking

Panda Glory to Gluttony - The Food Thread

Tell us about your taste and favorite food?

I'm good with American food, also like some East Asian meals like sashimi and sushi, hate spicy or sour food no matter where they are from.

Not interested in the famous French meal except foie gras, that's really delicious.

Last edited by Shaman; 12-08-2016 at 10:00 AM..
Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

All American food is is a different styling of other culture's foods, mostly the British. Its not really its own entity, but is representative of the whole 'melting pot' idea that is often attributed to America.

I love Italian food so, so much. Mexican food (I'm including texmex in this) is great too, as is French. Barbeque is really its own category and kicks ass. I'm not so big on most Asia foods and I don like Asian fusion.

In summary; I like food. I like a lot of food. I also love to cook.

My favorite meal... I'd have to say a simple spaghetti marinara. Out of sweet, salty, bitter, sour and savoury/Umami the only one I tend to dislike is bitter, but even then I have a tendency to like the more bitter dark chocolates. I've build up a endurance to sourness and, to a lesser extent, spiciness so they don't tend to bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM

Eternal

Good thread .

I'm going with Pad Thai from Thailand. Something about noodles with crushed peanuts and lime is epic. Prefer mine to be Thai hot also.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Warden

Mexican food. Not really Texmex, but legit Mexican food; simple cilantro and onion make a better salsa than tomatoes and jalapenos, not to say I don't like spicyness. Cow tongue and testicles taste so much better than people suspect (Cooked, before you start thinking I'm another Ashendant).

Also, Asian food is pretty good as well. It has a nice balance between sweet and spicy, and hot mustard does miracles when you have a cold. There's a family-owned vietnamese place nearby which sells massive bowls of soup for 6 bucks, a real bargain, and they get it out in about 5 minutes after you order it.

And, of course, you really can't beat a massive cheeseburger you get with American food.

EDIT: Relevant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Last edited by SicilianNecktie; 05-06-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Old 05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Slowpokeking

My favorite fastfood is Popeye, go there every 2 weeks.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:58 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
My favorite fastfood is Popeye, go there every 2 weeks.
Wait... are you black?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Wait... are you black?
Popeye's is awesome...when I'm drunk. Otherwise I stay away from there like the plague, too much grease.

I like everything under the sun, but offer me some Mezza or BBQ and I'll satisfy your every whim. Seafood too, but only if it's fresh. I do most of my own cooking, and those are random ass projects with ingredients from every corner of the world, so there's no specific flavor I like, just that it's fresh and unique.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Eternal

Everyone knows the premiere places to go for a good meal while intoxicated is Waffle House or a Denny's.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
Everyone knows the premiere places to go for a good meal while intoxicated is Waffle House or a Denny's.
In TN, it's a place called Krystals, which is a shitty knockoff of Whitecastle. 24 sliders for $10, $14 with cheese. Of course you regret it in the morning, but there are far more things to regret than just your choice of munchies.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post
cilantro
I do not believe there is a single herb that I like less than cilantro. I can't stand it. It seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it type of thing.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 05-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
In TN, it's a place called Krystals, which is a shitty knockoff of Whitecastle. 24 sliders for $10, $14 with cheese. Of course you regret it in the morning, but there are far more things to regret than just your choice of munchies.
Aye, they had one in my town where I graduated from high school. Actually, I went to the JROTC ball with a chick who worked there and got some free food sometimes after school. Unfortunately, it went out of business and it became a Subway. That damn Jerry is taking over the food world!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM

The only fast food I get with regularity is In-N-Out, and even with that regularity really isn't the right term given how infrequently I have it. Jack in the Box and Carl's Jr aren't terrible alternatively, and I'll be damned if I can't resist a Foster's Freeze milkshake. I avoid McDonald's, Taco Bell, KFC and so on no matter what. not because of health concerns or anything; food from those places just tastes bad. Well, McD has decent french fries. I stopped going to Quizno's after they dropped meatball subs and I've haven't had good experiences with Subway.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Warden

Taco Bell and Chick-fil-A are really the only two fast food places I like. Maybe DQ as well, but only if you have a blizzard afterwards.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Either my bourbon-marinated, pan-seared sirloin with cajun-fried potatoes and vegetables or tacos. It's a pretty even split.
The tacos have to be home style, though. None of that crap you see at Taco Bell or most of the Mexican restaurants that are far from the border. Or anything in a pre-made shell. Ugh.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 05-06-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: IliyaM#1840

Default The (un)Official Food Thread.

Ok, folks. I submit for your approval, a thread where we can talk about food, glorious food.

Recipes, recommendations, boasting of cooking skills, opinions of food and so on!

So, to get this thread rolling, I'll share my recipe of No-Bake Cookies.

Place the following in a pan and cook them until they're all mixed.
- One stick of butter (Yeah, clogging yer arteries already!)
- 1/2 Cup of milk
- 2 Cups of Sugar

Put all these in a mixing bowl.
- 1 cup Semisweet chocolate chips (Or your own personal type of chocolate chips)
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of peanut butter (optional)
- ~2 cups of oats, quick or old fashioned
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Mix both in the bowl, once properly mixed, put a single spoon worth of the mixture on a sheet of wax paper until mixture is used up, then let dry for about an hour or so and enjoy.

I am Dallanna Stoneweaver, Destroyer of Threads, Logic, and Lawns.

Tip for writers: The "Rule of Cool" does not a good story make!

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Revenant - Moderator

1) First you take a big old pizza.

2) Then you dump a big salad on it.

3) Then you dump a spaghetti dinner on it.

4) Then you fold it in half.

5) Seal pizza edges with more dough and some cheese.

6) Bake until you start smelling it (any more and it starts burning).

7) Have a good laugh.

8) Realize that you have no one to share it with.

9) Eat sporadically until too stale, or moldy, or wilted.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

My mom used to make those, before she went all psycho and started drinking like a saggy pirate whore. Family.

Anyway, not really a recipe, but something I'd like to share. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (super awesome organic food store), you have got to try their 21 Seasoning Salute. It's got no salt or pepper in it, but the flavor it adds to food is unparalleled in awesometacularness. It goes with almost everything. I recommend using it as a dry rub on a steak or ribs. Goddamn...I wanna grill something now...
Old 07-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Elune

I fucking love cookies.

I need to go find the recipe for these ones that my Mom used to make.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Eternal

Not a recipe but a quick comment for you folks. If any of you have a good steak and put sauce on it, I will politely ask if I can come over and punch you in the face. That's all.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
My mom used to make those, before she went all psycho and started drinking like a saggy pirate whore. Family.

Anyway, not really a recipe, but something I'd like to share. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (super awesome organic food store), you have got to try their 21 Seasoning Salute. It's got no salt or pepper in it, but the flavor it adds to food is unparalleled in awesometacularness. It goes with almost everything. I recommend using it as a dry rub on a steak or ribs. Goddamn...I wanna grill something now...
The closest Trader Joe's to me is in Las Vegas.... which is about a 6 hour drive south. And those spices sound good, too. Think if I asked nice, they'd mail it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
Not a recipe but a quick comment for you folks. If any of you have a good steak and put sauce on it, I will politely ask if I can come over and punch you in the face. That's all.

So, I would assume that means you're not a fan of KC Masterpiece sauce. Gotcha.

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Dear god, what have you done? Now I'll lose all my street cred posting about strudel.

Let's see...well there are a lot of up and coming college kids around here so I guess I'll share my infamous mashed cake recipe. I don't have any specific amounts since I made this one very drunken night several years ago, but I'll try to be as exact as possible. Also, as a side note, I was doing p90x at the time so this is for packing as many calories into an exhausted body as possible.

Ingredients
- 1lb ground beef
- 10 strips thick cut bacon
- 7-8 large potatoes (yukon gold are the best here)
- 1-3 habanero (depending on desired level of heat)
- 1 whole onion
- 2 whole fresh garlic cloves
- 1/3 lb cheddar cheese
- 1/3 lb pepper jack cheese
- 1/3 lb mozzarella
- salt (adjust according to levels of bacon and cheese as these both typically add salt)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 cups skim milk
- turmeric (to taste)
- 1tb butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced craisins
- 1 to 1.5 whole tomatoes
- 1-2 Tb olive oil

Dice the potatoes and boil them with salt, drain when 95% cooked through. Add milk, butter, pepper, finely diced bacon (cooked through to desired crispness) and shredded cheeses and mix until thick. While the potatoes are cooking prepare your other ingredients (finely diced onions, very finely diced garlic, finely diced habanero).

In a separate pan fry the onions until vaguely clear, then add the garlic and habanero. Once these are cooked 75% through add the ground beef, salt, pepper, turmeric, craisins, and tomatoes (very finely diced), cook completely through.

Scoop out the mashed potatoes from the pot leaving a small 1/2 inch thick layer around the bottom and sides. Add ground beef mixture and top with removed mashed potatoes (think of it like frosting). Place in the oven at 350 degrees to bake until a slight crust develops on the potatoes. (Makes 15+ servings).

Enjoy a small plate and hope to god you've not eaten your whole days calories in a single serving.

Last edited by Cantus; 07-10-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Dear god, what have you done? Now I'll lose all my street cred posting about strudel.
Hmm, strudel... what have I done? I'm contributing without arguing with anyone!

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 PM

I'll try just about any recipe of Alton Brown's.

I've been sporadically taking classes with a local chef named Todd Fisher. He introduced me to a recipe for hollandaise sauce that is downright easy, which I never thought I'd see. I also have a recipe for fudge that all of my friends and family seem to love.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Elune

Footman

Gay bacon...

8 ounces thick hickory smoked bacon
1 beef strip steak
1 teaspoon famous daves steak seasoning
8 ounces smoked link sausage
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
2 (28 ounce) cans bush's baked beans
1 (20 ounce) bottle famous daves barbecue sauce

fry bacon in a skillet until crisp.drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings. cruumble bacon sprinkle steak with seasoning. grill over high heat until medium. cut into 1/2 inch cubes. grill sausage until nicely done. slice the sausage length wise into halves then slice into quarters then cut quarters into cubes. saute onions green pepper and jalapeno in reserved bacon drippings in a skillet until tender. stir in bacon steak sausage beans and bbq sauce. simmer over low heat for 30 minutes stirring occasinally. the flavor is enhanced if stored covered in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours and reheated just before serving.

My favorite beans in the world, this is just a copy and paste from another website though.

Last edited by Erthad; 07-09-2011 at 11:01 PM..
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'm going to share with you my shrimp etouffe recipe. It's sublime and every time I've made it I've gotten laid. I'm not going to provide precise measurements mostly because I've been making this for years to the point where I can eyeball it, so fuck you.

First, prepare a spice mixture of roughly equal portions of thyme, garlic, sage, basil, paprika, cayenne and black pepper. You're going to be using this a lot, and it's also a great idea to keep some around in case you like making cajun or creole food.

Next, shell some shrimp. Take the shells and put them in a pot of boiling water along with a slice or two of lemon, some sprigs of rosemary, liberal helpings of the spice mixture and tabasco sauce to taste. Let it boil for two to three hours to make a big ol' pot of delicious cajun shrimp broth.

Next, you're going to want to make a puree of a few celery stalks, one or two bell peppers, a whole onion, parsley, three garlic cloves and either a can of tomato paste or three or four tomatos along with some worcestershire sauce while adding plenty of that delicious cajun spice mixture. You should have a nice, even, runny greenish-brownish mixture.

Pour that stuff into a cast iron skillet on a low simmer and start whisking in some flour to make a nice roux that should have the consistency of a good beef gravy. Add the raw shrimp and pour in a few cups of the shrimp broth and let it simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or so, adding hot sauce and/or spice mixture at your discretion.

Next, take some long grain rice and steam that shit with some cups of shrimp broth. When it's nice, puffy and shrimpy, ladle that shrimp-and-roux mixture over a plate of rice and serve with french bread.

Tags
'muricans hate mayo, food, food porn, realspace, wololo