Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Fire Blackrock Foundry and the Iron Horde

Blizzard is about to soon let everyone play this raid which was finished months ago and they just posted a preview for it on the official site, so Blackrock Foundry thread I guess?

Blackrock Foundry was the ancestral home of the Blackrock orcs, wherein master smiths smelted and worked the impossibly hard ore that is the clan’s namesake. Now, massive giants captured and broken by the Thunderlord heat the great forges, flamebenders of the Burning Blade imbue the ore with an inner fire, and engineers shape the slag according to otherworldly schematics. Warlord Blackhand’s foundry is the center of the Iron Horde’s military might, churning out the weaponry that will be used to raze Azeroth.

Slagworks

Gruul- Garrosh knew that the surest path to breaking the gronn lay in subjugating their great father, Gruul. Known in another time as the Dragonkiller, here Gruul has been reduced to the role of menial laborer. In a cruel mockery of the Shattered Hand’s warrior tradition, his hand has been replaced with a hook to enable him to more easily haul pallets of fuel to the furnace.

Oregorger- The storehouses of the Blackrock Foundry, laden with heaps and pallets of unprocessed Blackrock ore, represent a grand banquet feast for the ravenous rock-eating goren who have burrowed into the chamber. Oregorger is by far the largest of the invaders, gluttony swelling his frame far beyond the size of any goren previously seen in Draenor.

The Blast Furnace- The Blackrock clan’s unique ability to smelt the black ore, a substance so dense that ordinary flame does not even soften it, has always been their most closely-guarded secret. Deep within the Foundry, their furnace contains a primal force as old as Draenor itself, raging within the confines of its prison as it emanates a preternatural heat.

Hans’gar and Franzok- Hans’gar and Franzok are twin brothers raised and trained as masterful brawlers of their clan. Both carved paths of glory as warriors, but destiny had other plans. The brothers, each unwilling to slay the other in the rite of mak’gora, were banished from their clan and left for dead. They survived as outcasts in the savage wilds of Draenor and when the Iron Horde called, these powerful warriors found a new home in the massive war machine.

Flamebender Ka’graz- Under the banner of the Iron Horde, Blackhand has enlisted Flamebender Ka’graz of the Burning Blade to imbue the Blackrock-forged armaments with the essence of flame. Along with her assistant Aknor Steelbringer, Ka’graz toils before an ever burning forge in support of the Iron Horde’s conquest of Draenor.

Kromog- The magnaron are mysterious in their ways, ancient and inscrutable. Miners excavating an expansion to the Foundry, in support of the Iron Horde’s massive production needs, were horrified to unearth a chamber containing a living magnaron. To their astonishment, Kromog began to assist in their endeavors, and now uses his massive stone fists to hammer out the gigantic plates needed for the Iron Horde’s dreadnaughts and siege machinery.

Beastlord Darmac- As a young orc, Darmac quickly rose through the ranks of the Thunderlord as a gifted trainer of beasts. Where others only saw animal instincts, he recognized intellect and drew forth untapped potential from brain and muscle and bone. When the Iron Horde demanded his service, Darmac saw no greater honor than to outfit and train the most savage beasts Draenor has to offer.

Operator Thogar- Known more for his cruelty and cleverness than for brute strength, Thogar oversees the operation of the Grimrail. From the Foundry’s depot, he coordinates the ongoing ground battle against the draenei in Talador, with entire battalions of troops and artillery at his beck and call.

The Iron Maidens- With little opportunity to exercise her tactical brilliance under the ancient social structure of the orc clans, Gar’an was thrilled to be one of the first warriors to volunteer for naval duty under the Iron Horde. Instantly successful in battle, she was named Admiral of the iron Horde fleet and selected Marak and Sorka as her lieutenants. Together, they are called the Iron Maidens, and have crushed any who have dared face them.

The Crucible

Blackhand- A ruthless tyrant and fierce warrior, Blackhand is Warlord of the Blackrock clan, second only to Grommash in stature within the Iron Horde. Bathed in sweltering heat that few other mortals could withstand, Blackhand oversees the operations of his Foundry from atop its Crucible, wielding his smoldering slag hammer to forge weapons of peerless quality.

The biggest thing that strikes me about this story-wise is just how completely screwed the Iron Horde is: this is what complete defeat looks like. Barely anyone talks about the Iron Citadel they're building in Tanaan Jungle, but everyone talks about the Blackrock Foundry. Losing the Foundry is devastating for Warchief Grom, what's he supposed to do now? Even Illidan had to have been feeling more secure in his final days than how Grom must be feeling right now.

I think there has to be some final gambit by the Iron Horde, something strange and horrible being cooked up in Tanaan Jungle, I just can't think what it is yet. Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 PM

Elune

Orb of Venom

They can resort to guerrilla warfare in the jungle, or demons.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM

World Builder

Demons, sadly blizz can't write.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
guerrilla warfare
(Queue Alfred Pennyworth's We burned the forest down.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
demons.
I think this is probably how it will go. There's like nobody else for Grom to turn to, plus Gul'dan's still loose, so I think there's gonna be a lot of demons running around in Tanaan by the time we get there.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:13 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Totally the biggest threat ever guyz!!!!11
Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
(Queue Alfred Pennyworth's We burned the forest down.)

I think this is probably how it will go. There's like nobody else for Grom to turn to, plus Gul'dan's still loose, so I think there's gonna be a lot of demons running around in Tanaan by the time we get there.
We're following his speech to the letter. Squeezing them because we don't think they'll turn demons.

Flamebender sounds cool. Maybe we'll finally get that Last Airbender plot line.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Oil

How far does the Grimrail go by the way? I know it connects the Blackrock Foundry, Iron Docks and Grimrail Depot (duh) but does it extend anywhere beyond Gorgrond? It sounds like it must have been an incredibly useful thing for the Iron Horde.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
How far does the Grimrail go by the way? I know it connects the Blackrock Foundry, Iron Docks and Grimrail Depot (duh) but does it extend anywhere beyond Gorgrond? It sounds like it must have been an incredibly useful thing for the Iron Horde.
Would have been cool to see it cross all of Draenor.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Would have been cool to see it cross all of Draenor.
The Grimrail railroad and the head engineer of the Grimrail Express, Engineer Khasy 'Jhonnes' Ironrail (mad, bad and obsessed with being on time). It's a timed fight that lasts from the Blackrock Foundry, through the Grimrail Depot and to the Iron Citadel. You have to make your way from the caboose (holding a boss called the Conductor) through several other bosses (picking up an ironstar along the way) to the engine where you confront Engineer Khasy Ironrail, the biggest and baddest Train Engineer to ever drive a trail. While the fight goes on, you have to free the enslaved Draenei that are forced to shovel coal into the train, throw the ironstar into the furnace heating the boiler, and then break the controls so it causes the steam pressure to overload. At that point the Engineer loses it, runs to the controls to try and stop the overload, the raid jumps off to safety (landing in deep snowbanks at 80mph and taking a little damage if a feather fall/levitate spell or a makeshift parachute isn't used). The train runs off the rails by a ravine at full speed (can't make the corners at that speed) and slams into the side of the mountain, exploding and dropping part of the mountain on the wreckage and smashing that part of the railroad under thousands of tons of rock. Anyone of the raid who stays on the train (and is alive) is instantly killed.

This severs the connection the railroad has, destroys the best train they had and eliminates the most efficient engine driver the Iron Horde had. End raid, get nice loot (schematic plans for engineers and blacksmiths are a must).
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 PM

Warden

The Iron Horde getting curbstomped is sort of the point of the Expansion, I think, a way of showing how the orcs of old just aren't a match for either the Alliance or the Horde.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Phipps View Post
The Iron Horde getting curbstomped is sort of the point of the Expansion, I think, a way of showing how the orcs of old just aren't a match for either the Alliance or the Horde.
You wound me.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:14 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You wound me.
I confess, on my end, I'm still trying to wrap my head around GARROSH knowing enough about Azeroth weapons to make them.

"Yeah, we had these...zeppelin things...Goblins had them with hot air? Yeah, make some of those."
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
I confess, on my end, I'm still trying to wrap my head around GARROSH knowing enough about Azeroth weapons to make them.

"Yeah, we had these...zeppelin things...Goblins had them with hot air? Yeah, make some of those."
Presumably the actual technological know-how itself came from the surviving Blackfuse Company goblins he brought to Draenor with him (players run into them in several places, but in especially large numbers at Darktide Roost.)

Though honestly the whole thing feels kind of messy, as we see truckloads of Iron Horde goblins who have to have come from Azeroth with Garrosh, yet Zaela's seemingly the only identifiable Azerothian orc in the Iron Horde other than Garrosh himself. Even her wyrm riders in UBRS seem to be brown-skinned AU orcs rather than Dragonmaws from her own clan.

Consequently while they provide a basis for the technology angle, without any detectable Garrosh-loyal orcs accompanying them the goblins feel like leftovers from some abandoned story thread where Garrosh would have had a larger host of Kor'kron loyalists traveling to Draenor with him and becoming part of the Iron Horde. Instead it seems extremely out of character for Garrosh to bring a large number of non-orcs to Draenor and trust them with such a key aspect of the Iron Horde's power, while only bringing one actual orc with him.

Last edited by ARM3481; 01-23-2015 at 08:17 PM..
Old 01-23-2015, 08:19 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Presumably the actual technological know-how itself came from the surviving Blackfuse Company goblins he brought to Draenor with him (players run into them in several places, but in especially large numbers at Darktide Roost.)

Though honestly the whole thing feels kind of messy, as we see truckloads of Iron Horde goblins who have to have come from Azeroth with Garrosh, yet Zaela's seemingly the only identifiable Azerothian orc in the Iron Horde other than Garrosh himself. Even her wyrm riders in UBRS seem to be brown-skinned AU orcs rather than Dragonmaws from her own clan.

Consequently while they provide a basis for the technology angle, without any detectable Garrosh-loyal orcs accompanying them the goblins feel like leftovers from some abandoned story thread where Garrosh would have had a larger host of Kor'kron loyalists traveling to Draenor with him and becoming the first members of the Iron Horde. Instead it seems extremely out of character for Garrosh to bring a large number of non-orcs to Draenor and trust them with such a key aspect of the Iron Horde's power, while only bringing one actual orc with him.
While I doubt Blizz actually thought it though, I could see it being justified as there being far more goblins remaining loyal to Garrosh after the Siege. Most of the goblins were engineers and tinkers, the sorts of people who'd stay far away from combat if possible while the orcs all got slaughtered.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
While I doubt Blizz actually thought it though, I could see it being justified as there being far more goblins remaining loyal to Garrosh after the Siege. Most of the goblins were engineers and tinkers, the sorts of people who'd stay far away from combat if possible while the orcs all got slaughtered.
It's also very possible Garrosh hires the Goblins who work for anybody if the price is right while considering them people to slaughter en masse after the war. Because, as we know, Garrosh is a horrible example of his species.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Eternal

When/how would these goblins have gotten to AU Draenor? Didn't Garry kill Kairoz relatively soon after arriving there?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
When/how would these goblins have gotten to AU Draenor? Didn't Garry kill Kairoz relatively soon after arriving there?
Thank you, this has been driving me fucking crazy the last few days.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
The same can be said about all the other characters from MU Azeroth that weren't in the initial expedition. Portals.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
The same can be said about all the other characters from MU Azeroth that weren't in the initial expedition. Portals.
Yep making portals to AU time travel Draenor is so easy a child could do it. Hell a Troll traveled there before Garrosh did.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Yep making portals to AU time travel Draenor is so easy a child could do it. Hell a Troll traveled there before Garrosh did.
I'm actually unsure how they BUILT the Dark Portal given they don't have any magic but shamanism.

Did they force Gul'dan to do it?
Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I'm actually unsure how they BUILT the Dark Portal given they don't have any magic but shamanism.

Did they force Gul'dan to do it?
They did and they used him as the Duracell battery to power the thing.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:58 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
They did and they used him as the Duracell battery to power the thing.
Freeing Gul'dan and Cho'gall is the one thing that makes no sense in WoD because its so obvious that we should just kill them instead.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Freeing Gul'dan and Cho'gall is the one thing that makes no sense in WoD because its so obvious that we should just kill them instead.
Really?

The ONE thing?

Are you sure about that?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-25-2015, 10:28 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
ARM has some long ass post somewhere that explains why we did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:45 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Really?

The ONE thing?

Are you sure about that?
I confess, that does seem like freeing Darkseid to fight the Kingpin.

Tags
raids, sad gruul, warlocks of draenor