Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
But no, normal high elves have no fel-green eyes. Whatever the blood elves did tainted them, but the high elves stayed away. You're taking the statement too literally, but remember: the Mag'har were in the same lands as the fel-tainted orcs and also lived decades in the Outlands and their skin remained brown because they limited their contact with fel-taint. The high elves did the same. They got out of Quel'thalas before the taint spread. And being in Outland alone is no reason to get the fel-taint, or the Mag'har would be corrupted as well. The tainted elves of Outland were following faithfully Kael's new teachings.

Also, just getting into contact with blood elves wouldn't make the high elves' eyes turn green, just like Mag'har don't turn green just by being near green orcs.
The blue statement does kinda sound like that though, with the specific emphasis on area rather than actions and the inclusion of outland among Quel'thalas (plus, isn't there a permanent guard of high elves in Quel'danas? Shouldn't their eyes be green as well?)

I guess Proximity might be a case. Mag'har lived in relatively uncorrupted Nagrand. High elves live in relatively highly corrupted areas (edge of the bone wastes, hellfire peninsula and presumably netherstorm before the mana bomb).

But it still seems weird and rather incompatible.

Quote:
How do you take the in-game actual high elves in Outland not having green eyes?
Game mechanism for making them easily distinguishable?

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
How do you take the in-game actual high elves in Outland not having green eyes?
I take it as the seventy-sixth time Blizzard's been inconsistent with its own lore.

Canonically, those High Elves should have glowing green eyes.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I take it as the seventy-sixth time Blizzard's been inconsistent with its own lore.
How in the name of Vereesa's is that number so low?

edit: really, the medical term is censored? I'll go for Calia's Cooter or Sylvanas' slit next time.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Elune

We should have the high elves start becoming blood elves so the Alliance kicks them out. I think that would be the best medicine for the high elves.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

Canonically, those High Elves should have glowing green eyes.
You are ignoring also the sentence: "just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green" while putting too much weigh on "if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green".

But guess what? Not all of Outland is tainted with fel energy, just the areas full of demons. Or else the mag'har would be green as well.

And not any contact produces the same effects. The orcs' skin turned green over months of contact with Warlock magics.

I think Quel'thalas was a special case because as I understand it (thought there's no canon confirmation), they used fel to power their magical buildings and so on (arcane was their "electricity" and they substituted it for fel for a time).

But the High elves were exiled from Quel'thalas (obviously before the taint could spread), and not all Outland is heavily tainted. So the high elves in Terokkar are fine.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
You are ignoring also the sentence: "just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green" while putting too much weigh on "if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green".
Except that's specifically what they say there. If you were a high elf in outland following the third war, your eyes would turn green. There's honestly not really a way around that. Either the statement has to be wrong, or the game has to be wrong.

(though excluding outland as a general statement, there'd likely still be some green-eyed high elves. Survivors from kirin'var, envoys to quel'danas, elves stationed in wildhammer stronghold)

Old 12-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
And you're ignoring "if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green".

If you were a High Elf in Outland following the Third war, which the High Elves in Outland after the Third War were, your eyes would turn green.

Full stop.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Just fucking tweet Kosak and Loreology! Fuck you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AJF#1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
We should have the high elves start becoming blood elves so the Alliance kicks them out. I think that would be the best medicine for the high elves.
A better idea would be the blood elves all get some sort of disease that only affects them and they all go wretched.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Eternal

Quote:
And you're ignoring "if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green".

If you were a High Elf in Outland following the Third war, which the High Elves in Outland after the Third War were, your eyes would turn green.

Full stop.
That doesn't make much sense. When this was written, it seems pretty obvious that the High elves of Allerian Stronghold were not taken into consideration. It says following the third war. Yet High elves have been there for nearly two decades. Its referring to the elves that came following Kael'thas. Since there was no special event that forced high elves following the third war to get green eyes, that I am aware of at least.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:19 PM

Sentinel Queen

People really overanalyze whats obviously an easy way to make Blood elves and High Elf Npcs distinguishable.

Blizzard also makes mistakes sometimes, like the Alliance hating Red Wearing Elf, Gilthares Firebough using a High Elf skin, same with Astromaner Darien of the Shattered Sun, or some of the Sunreavers.

Besides, Blood/High Elves started with regular eyes, then white in WC3 and artwork at the time, then back to regular eyes in WoW and the Sunwell trilogy, then BC introduced the whole Green/Blue eye retcon.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Complete a lot of the post-questing phasing for zones such as Westfall, Redridge, and Ashenvale. Create the sort of environments, like Tyr's Hand, which reward roleplayers for finishing questing in a zone.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 PM

Eternal

I'd add two puppeteers, named Baron Grackleton and Kirus the Sorceror. They'd perform satire using Punch and Judy-esque caricatures of world leaders. Seeing as they'd uses various icons of the Horde, Alliance, and other factions, it would only make sense for it to be called The Iconic Theatre.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
That doesn't make much sense. When this was written, it seems pretty obvious that the High elves of Allerian Stronghold were not taken into consideration. It says following the third war. Yet High elves have been there for nearly two decades. Its referring to the elves that came following Kael'thas. Since there was no special event that forced high elves following the third war to get green eyes, that I am aware of at least.
This. There's nothing indicating that the Outland is inherently fel. There wouldn't be Mag'hars nor Allerian Elves, who have been specifically shown to be high elves (ence, not corrupted by the fel).

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I'm pretty positive you put this in the wrong thread.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
I'm pretty positive you put this in the wrong thread.
I did!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeAxe View Post
Gilthares Firebough using a High Elf skin
I always thought he was a high elf?

Quote:
or some of the Sunreavers.
Kosak confirmed those are mistakes.

Quote:
Besides, Blood/High Elves started with regular eyes, then white in WC3 and artwork at the time, then back to regular eyes in WoW and the Sunwell trilogy, then BC introduced the whole Green/Blue eye retcon.
I think the regular eyes is still canon. If you look closely to high elves in game, their eyes don't glow and have clear pupils/irises. The blue eyes thing is game is just a way to differentiate them from blood elves (kinda like all ogres have the same face in-game; they aren't playable so Blizzard feels no need to spend resources differentiating them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I guess Proximity might be a case. Mag'har lived in relatively uncorrupted Nagrand. High elves live in relatively highly corrupted areas (edge of the bone wastes, hellfire peninsula and presumably netherstorm before the mana bomb).
I don't think any of those places have very big taints of fel, except maybe Hellfire Peninsula. They were drained of life and then devastated by Draenor's cataclysm, yes, but look at places corrupted by demons and compare them to the rest of Outland. There's a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
This. There's nothing indicating that the Outland is inherently fel. There wouldn't be Mag'hars nor Allerian Elves, who have been specifically shown to be high elves (ence, not corrupted by the fel).
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Just fucking tweet Kosak and Loreology! Fuck you guys.
I did. Waiting answer.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:41 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

I remember it being stated in lore that Thalassian elves have eye colour like humans, blues, greens, browns, I THINK even purple. However they sparkle and glow, not with a bright blue glow, but with a colourless magic. However should it be blue, it makes them look like its arcane blue...

However, I cannot remember why I know this, so its most likely incorrect/headcannon.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Complete a lot of the post-questing phasing for zones such as Westfall, Redridge, and Ashenvale. Create the sort of environments, like Tyr's Hand, which reward roleplayers for finishing questing in a zone.
I agree with this, so very much.

I really like phasing as a quest/story mechanic, I do, but the way some zones are just left in "limbo" after the quest chains is silly.

I see no reason, for example, why, after doing the Instance/Dungeon quests to deal with the renewed Defias, Sentinel Hill fires can't be put out and repaired. Makes no sense at all that the Defias are still attacking in the manner they do once Vanessa is deady-bye-bye, they've used phasing up until that point, why stop right before the end?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 AM

Eternal

I'd fire Dave Kosak.

No, Better, I'd keep him on but have him given the sole role of doing what ghostcrawler use to do, sit and answer all community complaints.

I'm certain this is what near broke ghostcrawler and why he was so happy to leave.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
I'd fire Dave Kosak.

No, Better, I'd keep him on but have him given the sole role of doing what ghostcrawler use to do, sit and answer all community complaints.

I'm certain this is what near broke ghostcrawler and why he was so happy to leave.
I'm sure becoming a Producer for another game company is the main reason why he left.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
I did!
Oh dear mother of God, I clicked on it again....

*Deletes browser-history*
Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
I agree with this, so very much.

I really like phasing as a quest/story mechanic, I do, but the way some zones are just left in "limbo" after the quest chains is silly.

I see no reason, for example, why, after doing the Instance/Dungeon quests to deal with the renewed Defias, Sentinel Hill fires can't be put out and repaired. Makes no sense at all that the Defias are still attacking in the manner they do once Vanessa is deady-bye-bye, they've used phasing up until that point, why stop right before the end?
Yeah, the moment that you turn in that dungeon quest that you have dealt with Vanessa van Cleef in the dungeon should be the point that Sentinel Hill not only phases back but finishes its construction.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
Oh dear mother of God, I clicked on it again....

*Deletes browser-history*
I'm going to trick you to click on it while at school so we can hear about how Jungleluke got a early winter break.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by belorealah View Post
I remember it being stated in lore that Thalassian elves have eye colour like humans, blues, greens, browns, I THINK even purple. However they sparkle and glow, not with a bright blue glow, but with a colourless magic. However should it be blue, it makes them look like its arcane blue...

However, I cannot remember why I know this, so its most likely incorrect/headcannon.
I do know their eyes are human like, and from novels there are examples of green (Alleria), grey (Sylvanas) and blue eyes (Vereesa). The old RPG mentioned exotic colors like violet and red, but they are not considered canon anymore. For the glow part, I have this idea that the eyes don't "glow" per se, but have some kind of inner light, being bright even in darkness. Not canon, it's just how I imagine it. (For an idea on how it works, get a draenei character in a dark place and check his eyes).

Tags
crushed dreams, fanwank, hhh, jjj