Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 02:28 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
1. I don't believe that is true.

2. It can nourish life and be mutagenic without being order based.
I am not really sure what your issue is at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Didn't the RoC manual call Arcane magic chaotic

Edit:http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/War...2520Manual.pdf

Furion explained to his brother that magic was innately chaotic and that its use would
inevitably lead to widespread corruption and strife

It did.
Yes, and Chronicle does not contradict that specific part, as said above. Unless we really want to go into semantics between innately volatile and innately chaotic.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:31 PM

The Sun King

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Shadowlands are maybe even worse than TBC in terms of turning the metaphysical basis and mythology of the setting on its head, so.
Are you talking about the "Eredar turning their world into a source of magic for the whole of creation" retcon? Or the "Blood Elves recreated Quel'Thalas into a hedonistic landscape while nobody was looking" part?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:37 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Are you talking about the "Eredar turning their world into a source of magic for the whole of creation" retcon? Or the "Blood Elves recreated Quel'Thalas into a hedonistic landscape while nobody was looking" part?
Also the Light is suddenly just an energy possible to be siphoned from wind chime crystal beings and without any higher philosophical/religious meaning inherently attached to it beyond "if you really believe in something, you can use it".

And that's just the tip of the iceberg (yes, I really, really dislike the BC era. There are many changes in Warcraft III I am not fond of, same about Vanilla, but it still pales to what arrived with TBC and its associated material).
Old 02-18-2020, 03:50 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Also the Light is suddenly just an energy possible to be siphoned from wind chime crystal beings and without any higher philosophical/religious meaning inherently attached to it beyond "if you really believe in something, you can use it".

And that's just the tip of the iceberg (yes, I really, really dislike the BC era. There are many changes in Warcraft III I am not fond of, same about Vanilla, but it still pales to what arrived with TBC and its associated material).
My issues with TBC are more so with the storytelling. It's the one expansion that DOESN'T make a huge point of "Alliance and Horde defeating the main bad guy", but the idea of signing up to fight for Shattrath just doesn't work for the Horde characters, IMHO (especially the blood elves, who spend HFP questing helping gather FEL BLOOD, but then decide "You know what, glory to the draenei gods").

EDITE: Hell, it seems like Shattrath was intended to be an Alliance base at some point, hostile to blood elves.

Last edited by Kir the Wizard; 02-18-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 PM

Ranger

Reading the manual, it says that Acolytes make unsummoned buildings go into the Great Dark Beyond and that ghosts wandered the Twisting Nether.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:05 AM

The Sun King

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Reading the manual, it says that Acolytes make unsummoned buildings go into the Great Dark Beyond and that ghosts wandered the Twisting Nether.
Damn... Imagine all the necropoleis drifting through the darkness of space.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Ranger

In any case there were no Ghostlands.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:16 PM

The Sun King

Today I learned Micky Nelson intended for Chapter 1 of "Blood of the Highborne" to have taken place during the Troll Wars instead of the Second War. One of the rare instances when oversight meddling actually improved the story.

Tags
go'el's gaol, high elf menopause, lore, lorebat, random, tubers, warcraft, world of warcraft