Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-23-2014, 03:56 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
Never thought I'd see myself typing this but, here we go: Please Mutter, go into a bit more detail, I'd like to hear why.
Well when Cairne first died I had, perhaps too high hopes for him, and this was back when naive fools like myself still thought Garrosh might become a "good" leader despite having killed Cairne.

So then we get into Baines first real lore since being a quest objective in TFT or a lowbie questgiver

Letting Magatha go

I felt it was a dumb choice for HIM but a good writing decision, Baine too passive, Garrosh too aggressive, they could balance later on

Revamp mulgore supported this to an extent, put down Grimtotem and quillboar

But later lore like his short story and his view on the firebombing of Taurajo made him seem indifferent and aloof rather than wise

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Valeera Sanguinar. Although, she is more a case of "liking a character everyone else doesn't know much about", but whatever.

Taran Zhu would be my other choice. I could really get behind his "Get out of my country and go ruin your own" train of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Elune

Yup. Taran Zhu is another for me.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Garrosh. His characterization was a fucking mess, but by the end I think they got it down enough to be relatively (at least relative to him) consistent. He lacked the individual personal power of most major villains like Deathwing or Arthas, and so had to rely on charisma and intellect to get what he wanted. He's one of the few major villains who Blizz managed to have me like more by the end of their story than the beginning (admittedly that's more a product of them front-loading their bad writing with him before eventually settling on a single characterization towards the end), and I think he's spawned some of the more interesting plotlines in WoW.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I like this version of Garrosh, the one we saw in WoD and the supplemental content leading up to it. I think I'm gonna end up looking back on that Garrosh fondly, if not necessarily the process that lead to his creation.
I'll agree with this. I have yet to see anyone disprove anything Garrosh says in his final speech to Thrall. I think most of his weird characterization comes from switching writers and mediums. Garrosh in game from WotLK to his death was fairly consistent, in my opinion.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:17 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Wilfred Fizzlebang (master summoner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Elune

Millhouse Manastorm

le funy gnome meymeys XD
Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I'll agree with this. I have yet to see anyone disprove anything Garrosh says in his final speech to Thrall. I think most of his weird characterization comes from switching writers and mediums. Garrosh in game from WotLK to his death was fairly consistent, in my opinion.
Thrall wasn't entirely wrong.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:24 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
TRIFLING GNOME! Your arrogance will be your undoing!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
He doesn't count, as everyone secretly loves Fizzlebang.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Millhouse Manastorm

le funy gnome meymeys XD
They really took him in a weird place since BC. I don't get the point of making him a bad guy when he seemed like a pretty cool character.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
They really took him in a weird place since BC. I don't get the point of making him a bad guy when he seemed like a pretty cool character.
Yeah that was random

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Lord Godfrey. He was an excellent new character and compelling in both of his forms. His design was great. His VA was great. His fighting style was great. His attitude was entertainingly dastardly and ruthless. His motives, outlook and backstory were solid. He's one of the few Forsaken characters whose switch to the Horde was justified on a personal level and handled somewhat organically. His mere presence made the Forsaken/worgen war much more personal and upped the stakes. His death was premature and his motives for turning 100% hostile ("Look at me I'm the king of everything") were weak and contrived for the sake of a cheap boss fight.

It bothers me that they killed him off the way they did. Forsaken have literally one character with any notable lore left and this guy was the perfect choice for another.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yeah that was random
^ Even by Blizzard's standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
Lord Godfrey. He was an excellent new character and compelling in both of his forms. His design was great. His VA was great. His fighting style was great. His attitude was entertainingly dastardly and ruthless. His motives, outlook and backstory were solid. He's one of the few Forsaken characters whose switch to the Horde was justified on a personal level and handled somewhat organically. His mere presence made the Forsaken/worgen war much more personal and upped the stakes. His death was premature and his motives for turning 100% hostile ("Look at me I'm the king of everything") were weak and contrived for the sake of a cheap boss fight.

It bothers me that they killed him off the way they did. Forsaken have literally one character with any notable lore left and this guy was the perfect choice for another.
All of this. I've never disliked the character; I despise how it was wasted.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:49 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yeah that was random
Well, he was locked up next to a herald of the Old Gods for an indeterminate amount of time. That's enough to scramble anyone's eggs.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Well, he was locked up next to a herald of the Old Gods for an indeterminate amount of time. That's enough to scramble anyone's eggs.
He seemed fine at the time, and the herald only seemed to have scrambled the warden

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBenjamin View Post
Thrall wasn't entirely wrong.
Garrosh did choose, but Thrall was the one who gave him the choice. He wasn't entirely wrong, but he does try to pawn off the blame on Garrosh for everything that happened when he does bare some of the guilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
TRIFLING GNOME! Your arrogance will be your undoing!

Superior.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Uh... post-Theramore IG Jaina?

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:

Part of me kind of wishes he had never suicided and just remained an important human part of the Gilnean society. Not sure if I like Forsaken taking away Gilnean characters who have more potential among their own kin.

I also thought Ralaar Fangfire was a pretty good villain with a compelling backstory of his own. He would have been suitable for the role that they placed Godfrey in. (As well as Sylvanas for that matter, the Worgen would actually see a satisfying conclusion if their main villain had been someone who is not a faction leader.)
Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Echo of the Past

Who are the hated ones? Varian, Anduin, Me'dan, Garrosh, maybe Thrall? I cannot like any of those characters.

The closest maybe is Rhonin, since I don't care much about Night Elf lore that he defiled.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:50 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Garrosh did choose, but Thrall was the one who gave him the choice. He wasn't entirely wrong, but he does try to pawn off the blame on Garrosh for everything that happened when he does bare some of the guilt.
I'm not sure what you mean by Thrall gave him the choice. Thrall gave him the responsibility, and he certainly should bear some of the guilt for the mess that ensued, but nobody forced Garrosh down the path of violence.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBenjamin View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by Thrall gave him the choice. Thrall gave him the responsibility, and he certainly should bear some of the guilt for the mess that ensued, but nobody forced Garrosh down the path of violence.
Garrosh never wanted the responsibility, but Thrall basically told him "you'll be fine. Your dad was a pretty swell guy therefore you are a pretty swell guy".

Nobody forced Garrosh down the path because that was always part of Garrosh's personality once Thrall lifted the burden of being Grom's son off of his shoulders. Garrosh was acting like a orc.

Thrall's problem is that he has and still carries a HUGE blindspot when it comes to the orcs and how they acted pre-Horde. He continues to think that he is a normal orc when he is the abberention of orc society.

And I actually liked Garrosh. All the way to the end. That final confrantation between him and Thrall really cemented Garry, in my eyes, as one of the best examples of Blizzard writing a character from his rise to fall in WoW.

In the end, Garry was right.

Quote:

People actually dislike/hate Godfrey? I really find that surprising.

Last edited by Ma Caque Attaque; 12-24-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Shadow Orb

Garithos and garrosh. Especially garrosh, he grew on me a lot after mop.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Drunk Assassin

Vereesa - Because I can understand where she's coming from

Moira - Because she is actually interesting

Imperius - Because he's a badass
Old 12-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
The closest maybe is Rhonin, since I don't care much about Night Elf lore that he defiled.
I think you mean old gods/infinite dragonflight.

Anyway Varian is the best Alliance character and everyone hates him because he's more interesting than his cardboard cutouts of peers.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post

In the end, Garry was right.

So was dealin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty