Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2015, 10:58 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

I dunno about universally disliked, but I know fans of Shadowrun thought this game was an abomination, while I remember it with absolute loving fondness. I seriously think it was my favorite shooting multiplayer game I have ever played.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:48 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I quite liked the space combat in Star Trek: Online.
Yeah STO isn't really hated so much as most people just kinda think it's boring or don't like the story. Truth be told i'd probably be still playing if Space Engineers hadn't come along and if the new reputation system hadn't annoyed me.

Aaaand the Delta Quadrant isn't exactly interesting either. Who looks at Voyager and thinks "yes, the masses want this!"?
Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Yeah STO isn't really hated so much as most people just kinda think it's boring or don't like the story. Truth be told i'd probably be still playing if Space Engineers hadn't come along and if the new reputation system hadn't annoyed me.

Aaaand the Delta Quadrant isn't exactly interesting either. Who looks at Voyager and thinks "yes, the masses want this!"?
STO and Warhammer Online are the two MMOs I installed, logged in, played for about 5 minutes and confidently said "nope".
Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
STO and Warhammer Online are the two MMOs I installed, logged in, played for about 5 minutes and confidently said "nope".
So you only played vanilla STO? Might be worth giving it another try. A lot has changed.

Quote:
Who looks at Voyager and thinks "yes, the masses want this!"?
The masses actually do prefer VOY over DS9. They did a poll on the STO forums about the general direction the development should be focused on and VOY won that one big time. That's how we got Delta Rising.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
So you only played vanilla STO? Might be worth giving it another try. A lot has changed.
I honestly don't remember. I remember doing that little starting area and being appalled by the dreary visual style, doing an away mission and being immediately bored, and being very disappointed in pretty much everything.

I'll go take a look.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:30 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
The masses actually do prefer VOY over DS9. They did a poll on the STO forums about the general direction the development should be focused on and VOY won that one big time. That's how we got Delta Rising.
I should be apalled by the bad taste but considering they're listening to feedback now... DUDE have you seen the new Galaxy Class model? And the T-6 Not-Galaxy that lets you use that new Galaxy Model and that has an AWESOME BOFF seating, to the point where you can use the damn thing as a TORPEDO BOAT? Hell if they give us a Dreadnought Version of that fucker i might even go back to playing it. Now i get why they fucked up the Galaxy Reboot, to sell that T6 Galaxy.

Worf every cent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
I honestly don't remember. I remember doing that little starting area and being appalled by the dreary visual style, doing an away mission and being immediately bored, and being very disappointed in pretty much everything.

I'll go take a look.
Yeah dude, A LOT of early Vanilla STO was a leftover mess that Cryptic is STILL cleaning up (they took over from... who was the original dev, Carbine? Turbine?). The game is now unrecognizable to early STO, in a good way (mostly). For starters you now start in Starfleet Academy and the new Earth Space Dock is breathtakingly beautiful. And they've stopped shitting all over the Galaxy Class.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
I should be apalled by the bad taste but considering they're listening to feedback now... DUDE have you seen the new Galaxy Class model? And the T-6 Not-Galaxy that lets you use that new Galaxy Model and that has an AWESOME BOFF seating, to the point where you can use the damn thing as a TORPEDO BOAT? Hell if they give us a Dreadnought Version of that fucker i might even go back to playing it. Now i get why they fucked up the Galaxy Reboot, to sell that T6 Galaxy.

Worf every cent.

Yeah dude, A LOT of early Vanilla STO was a leftover mess that Cryptic is STILL cleaning up (they took over from... who was the original dev, Carbine? Turbine?). The game is now unrecognizable to early STO, in a good way (mostly). For starters you now start in Starfleet Academy and the new Earth Space Dock is breathtakingly beautiful. And they've stopped shitting all over the Galaxy Class.
I'm installing it right now, i'll give it another shot. I'm currently hopping from game to game anyway.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:02 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Do yourself a favor and disable the on-demand download and download it all in one sitting. it's going to take a while but STO doesn't download everything in the background like WoW does; it only downloads whatever it needs for the next loading screen. It's a horrible solution that can extend loading screens to minutes. No idea if they changed that since last time i played, but yeah - let the launcher run over night or so. It's reeeeally worth it.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and disable the on-demand download and download it all in one sitting. it's going to take a while but STO doesn't download everything in the background like WoW does; it only downloads whatever it needs for the next loading screen. It's a horrible solution that can extend loading screens to minutes. No idea if they changed that since last time i played, but yeah - let the launcher run over night or so. It's reeeeally worth it.
Pretty sure it did, was dling at 9mb/sec for about 30 mins, installed now. Can't see any option for it on Arc, i'll see ingame.

Wait what you can play Klingons or Romulans now?

Last edited by miffy23; 05-28-2015 at 06:13 AM..
Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Klingons have been possible from the start but they cut the Death Knight-crap of needing a high level Starfleet char first. Romulans were part of the Romulus Expansion Pack. There's been talk about a fourth playable faction but so far nothing came through.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Klingons have been possible from the start but they cut the Death Knight-crap of needing a high level Starfleet char first. Romulans were part of the Romulus Expansion Pack. There's been talk about a fourth playable faction but so far nothing came through.
Yeah been playing it for a bit now...I dunno, still doesn't do it for me. Neither "mode" really works out, space controls are clunky as hell (maneuvering with WASD just doesn't cut it for me, I need a joystick), the ground stuff is well. Barebones.

Oh and the graphics are a bit painfully 2008-2010ish.

If I were a bigger Trekkie these days I'd probably love it though.