Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Kaldorie, Varian and Timeline

I got into a discussion about the timeline from the First War to the Cataclysm, how old is Varian and when did the Kaldorei first come to the Eastern Kingdoms.

I was under the impression from the lore I have read that the First war was about 30-40 years ago (in game.) and that there was a fairly large period of time between the Second and Third wars. Something like 15-20 years or more. The mad prophet tells his warning in the inept way he did, getting Jaina and Thrall to head to Kalimdor where they set up colonies. The orcs enter Ashenvale and encounter the Night elves. As far as I know that was the first time anyone from the Eastern Kingdoms had seen a Night elf. They were completely strange.

Then the Third war happens and Hyjal is invaded, the Burning Legion repelled, Teldrassil is planted and the Night elves join the Alliance. The information I have places Hyjal 5-6 years before the start of classic WoW. Which means that the Kaldorei would have only been able to travel to EK since after Hyjal. I remember a line in the Hyjal zone of Cataclysm that states that it's been ten years since the first battle of Hyjal.

Yet I am being told that Night elves could have been present in the Eastern Kingdoms up to 20-30 years ago in game. I'm not sure that is possible by the lore. Night elves were isolationist until after Hyjal. They didn't leave Kalimdor at all before then.

How old is Varian? He was a child when the First war happened and saw his father be murdered by Garona. If the time is somewhat consistent, wouldn't he be in his late 30s or 40's?

Last edited by Kynrind; 04-03-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Elune

WoW takes place 5 years after the Hyjal battle. One year later TBC starts. One year later WOTLK starts. That makes it 7 years since WCIII. That means Cataclysm started 3 years after the events of WOTLK.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Eternal

For those who have read Curse of the Worgen, how long have those Night Elves been hanging out in Gilneas?

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, DTube, FruitLab, or Brighteon.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
WoW takes place 5 years after the Hyjal battle. One year later TBC starts. One year later WOTLK starts. That makes it 7 years since WCIII. That means Cataclysm started 3 years after the events of WOTLK.

Ok, that make sense. I am just confused then when Night elves showed up in the EK. Not counting the ones that were put into a deep sleep in Gilneas (druids of the wolf/whatever they are called) and how old Varian is. I can't think is is younger than the mid 30s.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Wrong in the end. Cataclysm takes place 1 year after the beginning of WoW and 7 years since the end of the Third War (year 21).

Kosak said on Reddit that when the Hyjal NPCs mentioned that the Battle of Hyjal had taken place 10 years ago, they were just estimating. He latter said something like "weren't like... seven years?". In the same interview, he confirmed that Anduin's age is a good way to determine the timeline.

So far, the chronoloy of the lore has respected the official timeline published in 2007.
  1. 0 - DP is open.
  2. 5 - First War.
  3. 6 - Second War.
  4. 8 - Alliance Expedition.
  5. 20 - Third War.
  6. 21 - War for the Frozen Throne.
  7. 25 - WoW
  8. 26 - The Burning Crusade.
  9. 27 - Wrath of the Lich King.
  10. 28 - Cataclysm.
  11. 29 - Mists of Pandaria.

At the present time, the Night Elves have been "in" the known world for 8 years, 7 by the time of Wolfheart.

The Night Elf that was present during Curse of the Wogen in Gilneas seems to have arrived recently. It was only Belysra at the beginning, but later (during the Worgen starting area) other druids arrived with the Scythe to Gilneas. IMO, Belysra traveled to Gilneas when she learned/suspected that Alpha Prime was there or that Gilneas was suffering from the Curse.

About Varian's age, he is said to be a "few years older" than Arthas. The Menethil prince was 9/10 in year 6, so I steem that Varian was 11/12. Arthas Should be 33 right know, so Varian is likely 35 years old (or even slightly older than that).

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)

Last edited by Cemotucu; 04-03-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Ok, thanks. That will help on the timeline and Varian issue. It also fits with him getting married and having a kid soon after he was married.

I think the night elven druid stuff will help too, but I think there might be some citations asked. The discussion I mentioned involves someone that had a Night elf with a back story of growing up in Ironforge from babyhood. A young adult, so 20 years old? I disputed that because of the time frame. Not enough time would have passed for any Night elves to have been born and grown to adulthood in the Eastern Kingdoms or on Teldrassil/Darnassus. I was told that there was no official timeline and that it was open for 'interpretation'.

I do not mind creative characters as long as they fit in the lore framework. Anything outside of that irks me. A lot.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
Ok, thanks. That will help on the timeline and Varian issue. It also fits with him getting married and having a kid soon after he was married.

I think the night elven druid stuff will help too, but I think there might be some citations asked. The discussion I mentioned involves someone that had a Night elf with a back story of growing up in Ironforge from babyhood. A young adult, so 20 years old? I disputed that because of the time frame. Not enough time would have passed for any Night elves to have been born and grown to adulthood in the Eastern Kingdoms or on Teldrassil/Darnassus. I was told that there was no official timeline and that it was open for 'interpretation'.

I do not mind creative characters as long as they fit in the lore framework. Anything outside of that irks me. A lot.
Yeah... that RPlayer was wrong. REALLY WRONG.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

People like that make my blood boil. Tell me their name. I need to enact some vigilante lore justice.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Don't, the man's a sociopath. That person will become a crying heap of shame
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Don't, the man's a sociopath. That person will become a crying heap of shame
So? It's justice. Lore justice.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:

So Fojar RPs as a night elf?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 AM

Eternal

Quote:

Many roleplayers know little about WoW's races. Bloody irritating.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
So? It's justice. Lore justice.
Shut up rosharch
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Wrong in the end. Cataclysm takes place 1 year after the beginning of WoW and 7 years since the end of the Third War (year 21).

Kosak said on Reddit that when the Hyjal NPCs mentioned that the Battle of Hyjal had taken place 10 years ago, they were just estimating. He latter said something like "weren't like... seven years?". In the same interview, he confirmed that Anduin's age is a good way to determine the timeline.

So far, the chronoloy of the lore has respected the official timeline published in 2007.
  1. 0 - DP is open.
  2. 5 - First War.
  3. 6 - Second War.
  4. 8 - Alliance Expedition.
  5. 20 - Third War.
  6. 21 - War for the Frozen Throne.
  7. 25 - WoW
  8. 26 - The Burning Crusade.
  9. 27 - Wrath of the Lich King.
  10. 28 - Cataclysm.
  11. 29 - Mists of Pandaria.

At the present time, the Night Elves have been "in" the known world for 8 years, 7 by the time of Wolfheart.

The Night Elf that was present during Curse of the Wogen in Gilneas seems to have arrived recently. It was only Belysra at the beginning, but later (during the Worgen starting area) other druids arrived with the Scythe to Gilneas. IMO, Belysra traveled to Gilneas when she learned/suspected that Alpha Prime was there or that Gilneas was suffering from the Curse.

About Varian's age, he is said to be a "few years older" than Arthas. The Menethil prince was 9/10 in year 6, so I steem that Varian was 11/12. Arthas Should be 33 right know, so Varian is likely 35 years old (or even slightly older than that).
There have been quite some wars in one decade...

Quote:
Many roleplayers know little about WoW's races. Bloody irritating.
Especially if you come with truth and they decline it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
There have been quite some wars in one decade...
29 years have passed since the first opening of the Dark Portal and present day in Warcraft.

. . .

For some perspective, in real life, there were 21 years just between World War I and World War II. Time travels quickly in this universe.

EDIT: And incidently, my age is the same as the current in-universe year. Until they do another time jump.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-04-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
29 years have passed since the first opening of the Dark Portal and present day in Warcraft.

. . .

For some perspective, in real life, there were 21 years just between World War I and World War II. Time travels quickly in this universe.

EDIT: And incidently, my age is the same as the current in-universe year. Until they do another time jump.
Oh, I thought that you were the 50+ guy.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
People like that make my blood boil. Tell me their name. I need to enact some vigilante lore justice.
What ? Have you a probelm with a Night Elves priest of the Light who waged war against the Aqir ?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM

Banished

dat ass
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post

. . .

Think of Azerothian children and their perma-trauma... They are future manaics, surely.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadinhad View Post
dat ass
???
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Banished

Quote:
???

Also, my night elf set sail in a boat 25 years ago and came across a band of sand gnomes. First they wanted to roast me and eat me, but sure enough as time passed they began to respect me and I became their Sand King.

You really can't dispute that. It's feasible.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Shut up rosharch
Never compromise. Not even in the face of retcons.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
???
OP's avatar.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

Elune

That's sick guys. She looks like a child.

At least, according to the people in the book. Personally, I never saw it.

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Think of Azerothian children and their perma-trauma... They are future manaics, surely.
Well, our character are maniacs that perform genocide every now and then. I guess they really do have a reason then xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
That's sick guys. She looks like a child.

At least, according to the people in the book. Personally, I never saw it.
Haha, yeah, I read you review.... and I agree with it. A child with her nether regions shoved into your face every moment.