Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Your thoughts?
Yay 9 29.03%
Nay 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 AM

Eternal

Orb of Fire Open Marriage/Relationship- Yay or nay?

I've been reading quite a bit about open marriages/relationships lately and I'm curious what you guys think about them? Would you be willing to share your partner with someone else, physically or emotionally?

I'm personally torn. While I can see it making sense to a certain degree, the concept is distasteful to me. Granted I'm a hopeless romantic but I don't see why two people who love each other and are similar enough to each other, in passions and personality, can't sustain an exclusive, fulfilling relationship for the entirety of their lives, or beyond if you believe in life after death.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
I've been reading quite a bit about open marriages/relationships lately and I'm curious what you guys think about them? Would you be willing to share your partner with someone else, physically or emotionally?

I'm personally torn. While I can see it making sense to a certain degree, the concept is distasteful to me. Granted I'm a hopeless romantic but I don't see why two people who love each other and are similar enough to each other, in passions and personality, can't sustain an exclusive, fulfilling relationship for the entirety of their lives, or beyond if you believe in life after death.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Well, there's nothing to look forward when it comes to my thoughts because they mirror your own.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

If all involved parties are okay with it: Yay.
If some of the involved parties are not okay with it: Nay.

I know, a very difficult concept to grasp, right?
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM

Elune

Since I've been cheated on before I don't agree with this. Yeah it's not the same thing, but still...
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
If all involved parties are okay with it: Yay.
If some of the involved parties are not okay with it: Nay.

I know, a very difficult concept to grasp, right?
Oh yeah, my answer only means that I would not be okay with it, but not that I'm opposed to others doing whatever they want in their relationships.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

My best friend was dating a girl who had a girlfriend on the side. He knew about her and was OK with it. The other girl was in a relationship as well, and her boyfriend knew about it and was fine with it.

When they got married one of his gifts was a threesome.

Admittedly it was a little strange the first day I was over his house and he told me his girlfriend was "at her fuck buddies house."

As for me? I'm not the jealous type, but I also don't like to share.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

To me, sex and love are separate things.

If in a comitted relationship, I've no interest in sleeping with anyone who isn't my partner (at least, not without my partner. That's another story, though) but I also understand that my partner may desire to have sex with other people.

Would I allow it? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I think it's such a personal question that you can't give a definite answer, wherein I believe a "yay or nay" response is ridiculously limiting. I believe it depends on the nature of the relationship and those involved.

I could, for instance, see myself accepting that a partner have sex with others - as long as he or she is completely honest with me about it, is 100% safe, undergoes regular checkups for disease, doesn't have sex with people we know / are close to us and that it's 100% physical, with no emotions attached.

I would not be okay with my partner taking a lover or a second partner. And even then, it's not because I have anything against polygamy - I just don't want to be poligamous myself.

Well, that's my take on it all.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Oh yeah, my answer only means that I would not be okay with it, but not that I'm opposed to others doing whatever they want in their relationships.
My exact thoughts.
I'm also a hopeless romantic, just like Royalpimp

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 AM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Open relationships either continue with them being open (which is the good case) or end with one of the people in the open relationship being forced out (which also happens) due to changing dynamics in the relationship.

Ultimately if it's something your comfortable with, and comfortable with the various outcomes it could have, and the person you're with is also comfortable with it, then there's not an issue.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM

Site Staff - Admin

I don't really concern myself with how other people like to handle their relationships, but for me personally I don't think I could get behind it. I usually get pretty attached to people I like, so I think it would become a problem for me eventually.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

While I've never been in a relationship enough to know how I would react (and even then, how much would just be paranoia?), at it's heart I don't see any particular issue to it if everyone's informed and accepting. I mean, even if you're a couple, you each want different things right? Sometimes one very much cannot provide something that the other likes (esp in circumstances where a partner's bi, like in the case Ded Chiknn brought up), so barring paranoia, I don't see too much of a reason to bar the other person from doing something they like.

Of course, the response could change if I ever get round to caring about having a relationship.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Eternal

Should have been clearer, the poll was meant to illustrate whether you'd be ok with it or not, not whether you're against other people doing it or not.

Quote:
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Should have been clearer, the poll was meant to illustrate whether you'd be ok with it or not, not whether you're against other people doing it or not.
That's how I understood it too.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
A better poll title could've been "Would you be happy to have an open relationship".

That or you change it to "Yay", "Yay, but I wouldn't want one myself", or "Nay"

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM

Problemsolver

I think Verdande has already worded my opinion of this matter quite well, so I'll refrain from repeating it and just say I agree with what he's said.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
That's how I understood it too.
Geniuses think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
A better poll title could've been "Would you be happy to have an open relationship".

That or you change it to "Yay", "Yay, but I wouldn't want one myself", or "Nay"
Fair enough.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Elune

Nope, I am like a Turk in this regard, my girl is mine, piss off!

Though conversely I am equally loyal in turn, since anything less would be hypocritical.

So in short, I wouldn't do it, I would strongly advise others against it, but I would not be inherently judgmental against people who are into it and say they are happy.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom Derailed by LORE!

Quote:
I feel more or less the same way. I think that sexual 'love' is an inherently basic thing, whereas trust and affection for another person, separated from any instinctual drive to possess and act upon their body, seems an altogether more fulfilling and meaningful emotion.

This is why it irritates me when people claim that Kil'Jaeden's relationship with Velen was sexual. Is it possible? I suppose it is. But I don't think it should be the case because that would weaken the impact of their disagreement. It would imply Kil'Jaeden's frustration stems from his lonely raptor, not his psychological bewilderment at being condemned and betrayed by his dearest friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Hypersensitive

I don't think I could be ok with it. I know its just my opinion and it isn't necessarily right but to me having an open relationship means there's something that you can't get from your bf/gf that you have to find somewhere else.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Are we talking about love, sex, or just casual dating?

Love? No. It's a selfish emotion that refuses to be shared. Unless you're just a straight up polygamist.

Sex? As long as protection is involved and you keep the circle small then why not?

Dating? Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Obviously very dependent on the people and the relationship, but I've often found myself pretty in tune with polyamorous thinking (though being polyamorous and having an open relationship are not the same thing exactly). Like others have said, if everyone is on board it can be a really good experience, but if anyone has even a little bit of concern it's not going to work. Some people prefer monogamy, and that's great, some people prefer an open relationship, I don't think one is inherently better than the other. It's all circumstantial.

In terms of the poll, I said yay, I wouldn't have a problem with it if my partner was happy

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Love? No. It's a selfish emotion that refuses to be shared. Unless you're just a straight up polygamist.
I'm not sure I agree with this, but like I said it's something that varies from person to person. I've never really felt like I had a capacity of love to give, you know? For me, it's something that grows on an individual basis with people. I don't think my loving two people means I care about each one less than if I simply loved one, but I suppose that's why I am okay with open relationships!

Last edited by Porimlys; 05-03-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I knew a guy who's marriage was "open." It lasted about 2 years. She owns his car now.

I won't even comment on how morally decrepit this notion is. I'm sure the Godless heathens among you will just shout it down as archaic and foolish.

Which is fine. When your best hope is that God doesn't exist, your life is a cosmic accident, and you're nothing but dirt when you die, I just feel sorry for you anyway.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I won't even comment on how morally decrepit this notion is. I'm sure the Godless heathens among you will just shout it down as archaic and foolish.

Which is fine. When your best hope is that God doesn't exist, your life is a cosmic accident, and you're nothing but dirt when you die, I just feel sorry for you anyway.
Quote:
I won't even comment on how morally decrepit this notion is.
Hey look you already did. Guess you can leave the thread now, eh?

Seriously though if you've just come here to insult other posters, just stop, I think we all get the idea.

Last edited by Porimlys; 05-03-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
I just feel sorry for you anyway.
When people said that to me they were the ones who had crappy lives instead.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
I knew a guy who's marriage was "open." It lasted about 2 years. She owns his car now.

Damn. You really went in dry on that one. Been keeping it in too long? What a useful thing to say.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.