Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 02:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peger View Post
Nah, they're still easily the shittiest Alliance race. Bad fan fiction that should've never seen the light of day.
Excellent summary of how I feel about the Draenei, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Grimtale:

a) There are two classes of anti-heroes you can play, arguably four;

b) That Corrupted Ashbringer thing is not canon;

c) The storyline isn't over, and it's been hinted that these factions won't just stand around while the Ebon Blade does their stuff.
Classes are definitely there, but I'm talking more about races.

I don't think it isn't canon, is there anything that would give us a hint as to that being the case?

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Excellent summary of how I feel about the Draenei, thank you.

Classes are definitely there, but I'm talking more about races.

I don't think it isn't canon, is there anything that would give us a hint as to that being the case?

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it.
It is believed to not be canon because many of the bosses involved in the quest for corruption have been dead since vanilla.

However, maybe some parts of it are canon and others not? Unless we ask the devs, we likely won't ever know for sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 PM

Banished

Both the Draenei and Worgen really come off as forced attempts (even if both got some Lore buffs later on) to put monsterous races in the Alliance. This isn't helped by how they both cribbed from the niches of established races (Humans and Night Elves). And Gilneas being another stomped Human kingdom.

Last edited by Almed; 04-20-2017 at 05:58 PM..
Old 04-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Just popping into this thread to check if Sylvanas is still the worst?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Just popping into this thread to check if Sylvanas is still the worst?
Yes. Also, she's frothing at the loins for Nathanos.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Banished

Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBenjamin View Post
Yes. Also, she's frothing at the loins for Nathanos.
*adds 'frothing at the loins' to his vocabulary*
Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
Both the Draenei and Worgen really come off as forced attempts (even if both got some Lore buffs later on) to put monsterous races in the Alliance. This isn't helped by how both of cribbed from niches of established races (Humans and Night Elves). And Gilneas being another stomped Human kingdom.
I thought that the draenei eventually worked out once you got past the eredar retcon, but the worgen did not turn out well. One problem with the worgen is that they look human half the time, so it's easy to forget that they exist.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-20-2017, 06:21 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Part of the issue was they used a standard human medieval kingdom as the starting point for the worgen. If the worgen came from somewhere new I wonder if the society they came from could've been that much more gothic and victorian, like Bloodborne but everyone's voiced by Metzen.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Part of the issue was they used a standard human medieval kingdom as the starting point for the worgen. If the worgen came from somewhere new I wonder if the society they came from could've been that much more gothic and victorian, like Bloodborne but everyone's voiced by Metzen.
Even the women. Especially the women.

By the way, does one call a female wolf bitch too?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I thought that the draenei eventually worked out once you got past the eredar retcon, but the worgen did not turn out well. One problem with the worgen is that they look human half the time, so it's easy to forget that they exist.
This is how I feel as well. The Draenei were very poorly conceived but they wound up working out as they were developed further and the eredar retcon faded into the distance.

The worgen are still nothing more than a foil to the Forsaken.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 PM

Elune

Draenei stopped being interesting when they killed off Maraad, their only real interesting character. After that they just went back to being a bunch of extremely Lawful Good superhero demons that offer nothing unique or interesting to the Alliance.

Worgen might not be that much better off, but at least they add an element of ferocity and intimidation to an otherwise standard trope of traditional races. They're more of a foil to Blood Elves than Forsaken in that regard.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Draenei stopped being interesting when they killed off Maraad, their only real interesting character. After that they just went back to being a bunch of extremely Lawful Good superhero demons that offer nothing unique or interesting to the Alliance.

Worgen might not be that much better off, but at least they add an element of ferocity and intimidation to an otherwise standard trope of traditional races. They're more of a foil to Blood Elves than Forsaken in that regard.
?

Draenei have an incredibly unique aesthetic, use the Light in unseen ways, are the only race in the Alliance to use a mixture of soul and shadow magic in the form of soulbinders and vigilants, the only race to use magitech, and excluding Turalyon and Alleria, the only Azerothian race to be contributing to the Army of Light on the Argus front. Before WoD, yeah you can say they didn't add much beyond shamanism, but that's not the case anymore.

And can I just say that being ~Lawful Good~ doesn't immediately a character less interesting or ~cool~?

Last edited by Mending; 04-20-2017 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
?

Draenei have an incredibly unique aesthetic, use the Light in unseen ways, are the only race in the Alliance to use a mixture of soul and shadow magic in the form of soulbinders and vigilants, the only race to use magitech, and excluding Turalyon and Alleria, the only Azerothian race to be contributing to the Army of Light on the Argus front. Before WoD, yeah you can say they didn't add much beyond shamanism, but that's not the case anymore.

And can I just say that being ~Lawful Good~ doesn't immediately a character less interesting or ~cool~?
Great that you think that. I still don't agree, but I'm not sure it's worth debating further when it all boils down to basic subjectivity.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 04-20-2017 at 09:00 PM..
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Great that you think that. I still don't agree, but I'm not sure it's worth debating further when it all boils down to basic subjectivity.
Lol k.

Back on topic, Sylvanas is definitely the type to put Nathanos in the unicycle sex position, right?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Elune

Quote:

Don't get me wrong: the worgen had (and I guess still do have) potential. But it hasn't been used. It's still easy to forget that the worgen even exist.

I still think that the presence of the draenei should have caused more tension within the Alliance. It can't be easy to see a culture that, at least in some respects, does the whole Holy Light thing better than your culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Lol k.

Back on topic, Sylvanas is definitely the type to put Nathanos in the unicycle sex position, right?
It was a mistake to make Sylvanas sexy. They should have made her creepy and rotting. Early on there was some Forsaken art, don't remember if it was fan-made or official, that showed an otherwise beautiful woman with her lips and jaw partly rotted off.

That should have been Sylvanas. Disturbing, cruel, and savage. Not some cheesecake elf.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 04-20-2017 at 10:03 PM..
Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 PM

Banished

Worgen being created to be a foil to the Forsaken is not something that "boils down to subjetivity", it's a fact. They were literally added to give the Alliance a darker race akin to the Forsaken (i can't find the exact quote though) and their story is 60% getting screwed by the Forsaken, 15% getting revenge on them and 25% being Stormwind humans/Night elves lapdogs. The fact that their developement was incomplete and the Forsaken wasn't when they're parts of the SAME story should be telling enough

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 04-20-2017 at 09:56 PM..
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post

It was a mistake to make Sylvanas sexy. They should have made her creepy and rotting. Early on there was some Forsaken art, don't remember if it was fan-made or official, that showed an otherwise beautiful woman with her lips and jaw partly rotted off.

That should have been Sylvanas. Disturbing, cruel, and savage. Not some cheesecake elf.
An unattractive woman? An unattractive ELF? In a VIDEO GAME? What is this SJW bullshit you're advocating? THIS IS MADNESS!

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
An unattractive woman? An unattractive ELF? In a VIDEO GAME? What is this SJW bullshit you're advocating? THIS IS MADNESS!
All the best works have a touch of madness

Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
*IMAGE*
So what you're saying is that Metzens creative vision was likely infringed upon by marketing so they could sell fap material to teenagers?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
So what you're saying is that Metzens creative vision was likely infringed upon by marketing so they could sell fap material to teenagers?
I had the idea that the Forsaken would visually identify each other less by facial features and more by wounds or level of decay. They'd actually have trouble picking out individuals from living races since they can no longer rely on such tell-tale marks.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 PM

Banished

I always liked that concept. Sadly Metzen drew it so it looks awful but the idea is cool. I also liked the "white eyes with bloody tears" look better than just the red eyes we have now

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 04-20-2017 at 11:10 PM..
Old 04-21-2017, 04:33 AM

Arch-Druid

I like the idea of Sylvanas being a ghost possessing her own corpse, but said corpse should actually look like one and not just a blue elf. Also she should use that ghost part more.

Also draenei are fine.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Also draenei are fine.
If Draenei are fine then so are Worgen.

Tags
alien shadow ghosts, hot zombie action, literature, raw meat left in the sun, sylvanas is so hot, undead are not lordaeron, warcraft